|This article is about a/an mentor in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Power Rangers Zeo, Power Rangers Turbo, and Power Rangers in Space.|
- "Welcome Power Rangers. I am glad that you are safe. How do you like our little surprise? Alpha has been working on it for months. I am sorry for keeping this from you as we did not want to worry you unnecessarily."
- ―Zordon revealing his survival and introducing the Rangers to the Power Chamber.[src]
- "Rangers. The power of the Zeo Crystal now resides within you. But the Power Rangers, as you have known them, are gone forever! In their place has emerged a more powerful and advanced fighting. You have now become the Power Rangers Zeo! The next level in the fight against evil."
- ―Zordon after creating the Power Rangers Zeo.[src]
Zordon of Eltar was a wise galactic wizard who fought for the side of good against the forces of evil. He was the mentor to the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Zeo Rangers, and the first set of Turbo Rangers.
|This article contains content in reference to the main TV series, as well as supplemental material, such as the comics. A sliding/floating timeline applies. Story instances for TV and other media will be clearly marked.|
Over ten thousand years ago on Planet Iutus, Zordon witnessed the birth of Rita Repulsa, being by the side of Rita's mother Lady Fienna. Zordon gave her a gift; a baby rattle for Rita. Zordon was willing to protect Fienna and Rita from Master Vile, Fienna's husband and Rita's father, but in the meantime, Zordon wanted to celebrate the birth of Rita.
Zordon visited King Lexian on Edenoi. After witnessing that the universe was dying by the hands of Master Vile in a war, Zordon blames himself for failing to protect the universe on his own. King Lexian doesn't blame Zordon as he and others didn't expect Zordon to win the war on his own and King Lexian believes there is still hope to win the war. The people of Edenoi built Alpha 1 to aid Zordon in fighting evil and was nearly destroyed during a battle in space.
War with Rita Repulsa
Sometime eight to ten thousand years ago, Rita Repulsa sought to conquer many worlds in the universe. Among the opposition was Zordon. War broke out between Zordon and the factions of Rita. This war stretched for 2,000 years and across countless planets. Many of Zordon's warriors perished in battle with Rita's minions, such as the Knasty Knight.
Sometime during the conflict, Rita entered into service to the great Lord Zedd, who assigned her to conquer Earth. She and her henchmen occupied a palace on Earth's Moon, located directly above the location of the powerful Zeo Crystal. It was also during this period that Zordon discovered five Power Coins and a map to the Desert of Despair. It was also known that Rita came into the possession of a sixth Power Coin, the Dragon Dagger, and the Dragonzord, through unknown means.
In the closing days of the war, Rita would enact one final act of defiance by using her powers to banish Zordon into a time warp in which he existed outside normal time. However, Before Zordon was gone, he sealed Rita and her minions into a space dumpster where they were to reside for eternity. His only communication with the outside world would be through an energy tube.
Zordon knew that Rita may one day return and continue her war on Earth. In preparation, Zordon constructed a base of operations known as the Command Center in the California desert and used it to stage the creation of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Around this time he befriended a young robot created by King Lexian named Alpha 5, and became a father figure of sorts to him after having to leave his home planet, Edenoi. Zordon also had a student named Gosei, and trained him in this methods. Once his training was completed he then sent him to another Command Center to be the guardian of the Earth in the event anything happened to Zordon. Zordon also prepared for the eventual arrival of evil by placing key weapons across the solar system such as the Mega Voyager which he left on a moon of Jupiter during his time in the tube.
In the year 1969 A.D. on Earth, Psycho Green was sent by Dark Specter to attack Earth. Zordon assembled a team of five professionals from different nations across Earth to become Power Rangers and defend Earth against Psycho Green, fighting him on the Moon. However, the team he assembled lacked in teamwork and three of his five chosen Rangers were killed in their first and only mission. Zordon felt guilty for the decision he made.
- "Alpha, Rita's escaped! Recruit a team of teenagers with attitude!"
- ―Zordon in the opening. Much like Rita, despite being his most famous line, he never actually says it in the show proper.[src]
In 1993, Rita's dumpster was discovered and opened by astronauts, and she immediately resumed her plans to conquer Earth. Zordon, now only appearing as a large blue head in a blue tower of light, asked Alpha to find five "teenagers with attitude", thus creating the first generation of Power Rangers. Jason Lee Scott, Trini Kwan, Kimberly Hart, Zack Taylor, and Billy Cranston were chosen. Each Power Ranger received a Power Coin - one of the five coins used in the coin toss that decided the fate of the universe eons ago, and thus Zordon created his team of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
When Tommy Oliver became the evil Green Ranger with the sixth Power Coin received from Rita, he sabotaged the Command Center and disrupted the link to Zordon. After much turmoil, Alpha reestablished the link and Zordon helped the Rangers stop Tommy's evil rampage. Once the evil spell on Tommy was broken, Zordon accepted the new Ranger with open arms, even giving him an enormous amount of his own energy to make him the Green Ranger again so he could retrieve the stolen Power Coins. When those powers ran dry, he made him into the White Ranger. When Lord Zedd banished Rita and began his own conquest for Earth, Zordon transformed the Rangers' Dinozords into the Thunderzords.
In the episode The Wanna-Be Ranger, Zordon de-ionized - or powered down - due to the planets aligning. When he re-ionized, he became very worried over Alpha leaving the Command Center, and upon Alpha's return home he reproved him over leaving the Center without informing the Rangers that he would be leaving and asking permission to do so.
During the battle with the Black Dragon, the Command Center is destroyed along with Zordon's energy tube. Zordon survives. However, having lost his tether to time and space, he drifts outside of time and meets himself from another timeline. This version of Zordon dies after revealing the origins of Lord Drakkon. Before he too is lost in time, Saba uses his connection to the Morphing Grid to keep him tethered to their plane of existence. Zordon urges Saba to have faith in Tommy Oliver, leading to their eventual meeting in the alternate timeline.
As time went on, Zordon would see off four of his original Rangers. Jason, Trini, and Zack were asked to attend a peace conference in Switzerland, and were replaced by three friends the Rangers had made (and had previously saved), Rocky DeSantos, Aisha Campbell, and Adam Park. When Kimberly decided to move to Florida to focus on her gymnastics, she chose Katherine Hillard, a girl who had been used by Rita and Zedd for evil purposes, as her replacement. Though Zordon was sad to see his former Rangers leave, he gladly accepted each of the new Rangers and wished the previous ones well on their futures.
Zordon acted as a mentor and adviser for all but a few moments between the original incarnation and the Turbo Rangers. It was somewhere during this point that it was revealed that because of the prolonged amount of time in the alternate dimension, bringing him back would be dangerous, if not lethal, as the Power Rangers would find out.
When Master Vile transformed the Rangers back into kids, Zordon sent the Rangers (except for Billy, who gained his adulthood back), into different time portals to retrieve the sub crystals of the Zeo Crystal. He continued as a mentor for the Alien Rangers, who protected Earth while the Rangers were gone. After the Rangers came back, Zordon, with Billy's aid, reformed the Crystal and restored the Rangers back to adulthood. However, Rito Revolto and Goldar planted a bomb underneath the Command Center and destroyed it. The Rangers made it out safe, and found the secret Power Chamber, and Zordon alive and well. He utilized the power of the Zeo Crystal and gave the Rangers new powers, making them the Zeo Rangers. He also welcomed Tanya Sloan, who had been sent back by Aisha in her place.
With Billy now as a technical aid, Zordon continued to mentor the Rangers, giving them new weapons, Zords, and any advice he could offer against the monsters of the Machine Empire that threatened Earth. Zordon was also reunited with one of his former Rangers, Jason, who took temporary control of the Gold Zeo Ranger powers from Trey of Triforia.
In a dream Adam had, Zordon played the role of Zordonicus, a dubious sage wizard akin to The Wizard of Oz. As it turns out it was King Mondo all along.
One day, the good wizard Lerigot came to Earth to flee Divatox, who wanted his magical key, capable of passing through safely into another dimension and join forces with Maligore. He sought the help of Zordon, who summoned the Rangers. He knew that, to defeat Divatox and Maligore, the Zeo powers would not be enough, so he and Alpha began work on the Turbo powers (marking the first time a sentient being was the source of a Ranger's power, instead of an artifact created by one). He then sent Tommy, Tanya, Kat, Adam, and the newest Ranger, Justin Stewart (Rocky was injured in a martial arts training session and was forced to temporarily retire from Ranger duty, only to permanently retire) to the ocean, where a phantom ship was awaiting them to take them through the Nemesis Triangle (the border between two dimensions). As a last piece of advice, Alpha 5 told them that, once through to the other dimension, communication with the Power Chamber would be impossible.
During Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie, Zordon was facially portrayed by Winston Richard instead of David Fielding. However, Bob Manahan still provided Zordon's voice.
Early on, Zordon and Alpha 5 discovered that a temporary wormhole had opened up that would take them back to his homeworld, Eltar. He had the wizard Lerigot use his magic to release Zordon from his time warp, so that he and Alpha could return to the planet of Eltar and be reunited with his family, saying farewell to his Power Rangers, leaving them in the capable hands of a lifelong friend, Dimitria. Zordon later return to witness the Power Transfer ceremony.Not much was known about what happened to Zordon afterwards, except that he was involved in the war of Eltar where the grand monarch of evil, Dark Specter and his forces invaded the planet, and Zordon was captured by the forces of evil.
In Space Era
After invading Eltar, the evil monarch Dark Specter imprisoned Zordon in an energy tube, slowly draining his power. As this happened, lava began to rise from the bottom of the tube, which would destroy Zordon once the draining process was complete.
When the Turbo Rangers journeyed to space to find Zordon, they joined Andros, the Red Space Ranger, and became Space Rangers themselves. Dark Specter put Divatox in charge of keeping Zordon from the Power Rangers. The Phantom Ranger was also tracking the wizard. In the end, Andros, on the orders of his former mentor, would be forced to kill Zordon (by smashing the column that contained him) in order to defeat evil once and for all by unleashing a power energy wave that washed across several galaxies. Zordon's energy wave destroyed many of the monsters and villains that were attacking the universe and purified Rita Repulsa, Lord Zedd, Divatox and Astronema.
After Zordon's demise, many other characters in later incarnations served in much of the same role as Zordon - in some cases, the role of Zordon is divided into two characters, one being the philosophical mentor and the other being the technical genius of the Power Rangers team.
Other lasting effects that Zordon has on the series, to this day, include the following:
- The giant machines that Rangers use to fight large enemies are called "Zords", rather than having unique names in each season, like Super Sentai does. The term "Zord" would later be used in Sentai itself, first the one-off G-Zord in Mirai Sentai Timeranger, known as Dragontron in Time Force, before being commonplace in Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, with past Sentai Giant Robos being labeled as Megazords in Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger: The Movie.
- The series is divided into the Zordon Era (Mighty Morphin through In Space), Post-Zordon Era (Lost Galaxy through Wild Force), Disney Era (Ninja Storm through RPM), the Neo Saban Era (Samurai through Super Ninja Steel), and the Hasbro Era (Beast Morphers and every season thereafter) even though a more noticeable difference is probably the fact that they change the cast and setting every year.
- When characters from the Zordon Era make appearances in Post Zordon Era episodes, they usually reference Zordon (e.g. Alpha 6 asking himself "What would Zordon do?" in "Once a Ranger").
- Gosei tells the Mega Rangers that Zordon was his mentor in Mega Mission. Keys of past Rangers including Zordon's lined his chamber.
- Zordon is mentioned in Grid Connection by Jason when he thought that Zordon's Z-Wave had reduced Goldar to sand in Countdown to Destruction.
- While the phrase "It's Morphin Time!" is often credited as being the signature phrase of Jason Lee Scott, it was actually Zordon, in the second episode, that first coined the phrase.
- Zordon is the only Mentor in the Power Rangers series to be permanently killed and never seen after his death, though he is mentioned several times by Tommy in Power Rangers Dino Thunder's "Legacy of Power", a reconstructed Alpha 6 in Power Rangers Operation Overdrive's "Once A Ranger" and Gosei in Power Rangers Megaforce's "Mega Mission".
- He is the only mentor character to appear in more than two different seasons.
Behind the Scenes
- The actual way that Zordon was created was unique. In the Command Center set, Saban would have a giant plastic tube placed at the back of the room and then have Fielding make faces akin to the movements on camera. They would then crop his face out of that footage and digitally superimpose the images over the tube to give the impression of being there.
- This practice stopped once Fielding left after filming the episode "The Green Candle-part II" and they just recycled the same faces over and over again.
- In the original pilot episode, Zordon's name was Zoltar. His voice and appearance were provided by actor David Fielding.
- Fielding provided the voice (with a slight British accent) and facial performance of Zordon in Season 1. He left the show due to other obligations, and Bob Manahan stepped in to voice the character (sans accent). He initially tried to sound like Fielding but, by the time of the Season 3 episode "Another Brick in the Wall", he gave that up so Zordon's voice was just his own with a slight warping effect placed over it.
- Despite the change of actor, Fielding's likeness was used throughout the duration of the series.
- Fielding mentioned that he was interested in doing a web series about what Zordon would do after Power Rangers. One idea was a comedy series of Zordon doing odd jobs trying to get by and a second was a serious idea of a possible return of Zordon.
- Though Zordon is generally thought of as an exclusive-to-Power Rangers character, like Bulk and Skull, Zyuranger footage of Barza was used to depict his physical appearance prior to his entrapment in the time warp in the Season 1 episode "Power Ranger Punks."
- In an earlier version of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, Zordon was a member of the "Order of Meledon". He was regarded as the finest commander in the galaxy, a true legend. After the Order's enemies were defeated over time, he moved on to continue the struggle against evil elsewhere. It was also stated by Dulcea that if not for him, the universe would be a very different place. She also said that he was always an inspiration and if he died, a piece of all of them would die, and the forces of good within the universe would be dealt with an irreparable blow.
- Zordon's staff in the comics is identical to the staff used by the Mysterious Sage Barza in Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger. Barza was briefly used in in the the television series as Zordon's physical form.
- Gonpachi Edogawa - Super Sentai's first mentor.
- Mysterious Sage Barza - Super Sentai counterpart in Zyuranger. See comparison page.
- Master Kaku - Super Sentai counterpart in Dairanger. See comparison page.
- Sandayuu Momochi - Super Sentai counterpart in Kakuranger. See comparison page.
- Chief Counsellor Naoyuki Miura - Super Sentai counterpart in Ohranger. See comparison page.
- Dimitria: Zordon's successor
- Gosei: Zordon's student
- Zordon (1995 movie)
- Zordon (2017 movie)
|Power Rangers (Boom Studios)|
|Jason Lee Scott - Zack Taylor - Billy Cranston - Trini Kwan - Kimberly Ann Hart - Tommy Oliver|
|The 1969 Rangers|
|Grace Sterling - Nikolai Chukarin - Terona Washington - Daniel O'Halloran - Jamie Gilmore|
|The All-New Power Rangers|
|Britt - Serge|
|Promethea Rangers/Solar Rangers|
|Kimberly Ann Hart - Mike Corbett - Tanya Sloan - Heckyl - Cameron Watanabe - Andros - Ellarien - Remi|
|Post-Shattered Grid Rangers|
|Adam Park - Aisha Campbell - Rocky DeSantos - Matthew Cook|
|Zordon - Alpha 5 - Ninjor - Dr. K - Amanda - XI - Yale of Saard - The Justice League|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
|Leonardo - Raphael - Michelangelo - Donatello - April O'Neil|
|Guardians of Eltar|
|Zophram - Zartus - Zordon - Zelya|
|Bulk - Skull - Ms. Appleby - Ernie - Mrs. Pruitt - Roger Hart - Helen Hart - Mrs. Kwan - Mrs. Oliver - Mr. Cranston - Mrs. Cranston - Violet Arias - Sam Scott|
|Evil Space Aliens|
|Rita Repulsa - Lord Zedd - Dayne - Goldar - Squat - Baboo - Scorpina - Putty Patrollers|
|Sir Locks-A-Lot - Vixenya - Commandant - Vitruvian Man Giant - Black Dragon - Unnamed Plant Monster - Double Disastron - Karmadillo - Boarlock - Goth Sloth - Crowverload - Mr. Meowgi - Wizard of Deception - Psycho Green - Sheeple - Crystal Cryptid - Monsieur Muster - Mutant Rangers|
|Go Go Power Rangers Monsters|
|Flog - Putty Infiltrator - Montaur - Rammerhead - Pudgy Pig - Megaputty - Stabasaurus Rex - Warbunny - Nimrod the Scarlet Sentinel - AC - DC|
|Shattered Grid and Beyond the Grid|
|Lauren Shiba - Jen Scotts - Dark Ranger - Space Rangers - Ninja Steel Rangers - Carter Grayson - HyperForce Rangers - Mike Corbett - Ari - Remi|
|World of the Coinless|
|Zack - Trini - Saba - Ranger Slayer - Skull - Billy - Jason - Bulk - Aisha Campbell - Matt - Scorpina - Adam Park|
|Shattered Grid: Lord Drakkon - Finster 5 - Ranger Sentries - Rita Repulsa - Koragg, The Knight Wolf - A-Squad - Psycho Rangers - Cogs - Grinders|
|Beyond the Grid: Praetor|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers|
|0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34 - 35 - 36 - 37 - 38 - 39 - 40 - 41 - 42 - 43 - 44 - 45 - 46 - 47 - 48 - 49 - 50 - 51 - 52 - 53 - 54 - 55|
|Go Go Power Rangers|
|1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32|
|1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8|
|1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8|
|Power Rangers Unlimited|
|Heir to Darkness - Edge of Darkness|
|Annuals/Specials and Crossovers|
|2016 Annual - 2017 Annual - 2018 Annual - Anniversary Special - Free Comic Book Day 2018 Special - Shattered Grid Finale - Back To School Special - Forever Rangers|
|Justice League/Power Rangers|
|Issue 1 - Issue 2 - Issue 3 - Issue 4 - Issue 5 - Issue 6|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
|MMPR/TMNT Issue 1 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 2 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 3 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 4 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 5|
|View • Edit|