|This article is about a/an villain in Power Rangers Dino Thunder.|
- "Does the name 'Terrence Smith' mean anything to you? I was on the verge of a breakthrough when it all went wrong. Mesogog found me and put me back together again, he's a genius with cybernetic reconstruction. He gave me life, life you stole from me, and now you will repay it with yours."
- ―Zeltrax explaining his origins to Tommy.[src]
Zeltrax was a ruthless ammonite-themed cyborg who served as the secondary antagonist of Power Rangers Dino Thunder.
For a great deal of Dino Thunder, Zeltrax's origins and the reason for his hatred of Tommy Oliver were completely unknown. Eventually though, whilst the Rangers used their Thundersaurus Megazord to fight Termitetron, Tommy demanded the answer and got it in the form of a photo of Zeltrax.
Zeltrax was once Terrance "Smitty" Smith who was a partner of Tommy and Anton Mercer. At some point, Tommy and Smitty were up for the same job, and Mercer chose Tommy over Smitty. Smitty went to work for a different company, where, during an explosion at his lab, he was grievously injured. The actual mixture he was making which caused the explosion is unknown but it is likely some kind of specialist explosive given that dropping the vial caused the detonation. Mesogog found his ruined body and rebuilt him with cybernetic technology into a black armored cyborg.
As Zeltrax, he is bent only on gaining revenge on Tommy and holds him responsible for the recent tragic events in his life, including his near fatal accident. During his attempts at revenge, he inadvertently created a clone "son" named Goldenrod. Goldenrod proved a powerful adversary to the Rangers, but was destroyed by Tommy, increasing Zeltrax' hatred of the Black Ranger.
Zeltrax also appeared in the Dino Thunder/S.P.D. team up episode, Wormhole, which is set before the Dino Rangers' final battle. During the episode, Zeltrax reluctantly joined forces with Emperor Gruumm who had traveled back in time through a temporal wormhole. Together they fought the Dino Rangers and the S.P.D. Rangers. Despite Gruumm's aid, Zeltrax was defeated by a double-team from Tommy and Anubis Cruger, the S.P.D. Shadow Ranger. Zeltrax then retreated and left the Tyrannodrones he had to their doom.
After a second near fatal experience, because of his master's plans, Zeltrax mutinied against Mesogog and went out on his own. Zeltrax later gained a super powered form through the special underground spring that flowed beneath the Tree of Life.
In the final episode of Dino Thunder, Zeltrax kidnaps Elsa (who was reverted to a normal human being after her powers were sacrificed by Mesogog to power his trans-mutation cannon) and invades the Rangers' base. Then, with the aid of the Triptoids, Zeltrax built his giant Zelzord, where Elsa is held hostage.
Zeltrax uses his Zelzord to demolish Reefside, but Tommy battles Zeltrax along with Kira who rescues Elsa just in time before the Zelzord is finally obliterated by the self-destruction of the Rangers' Dinozords. Elsa is saved, and Zeltrax was eventually destroyed by Tommy and Kira.
At first Terrance "Smitty" Smith was a kind, harmless and polite man, who was good friend of Tommy and Anton. But after the accident, when he was rebuilt by Mesogog, he became a brutal, cold and ruthless cyborg. He was obsessed with hatred toward Tommy and wanted to destroy the Dino Rangers at any cost. Zeltrax was an arrogant, stubborn and confident warrior with contempt to his enemies. However, despite his negative side, Zeltrax was a noble, honorable and honest soldier, not lacking honor and dignity and could show pity to his opponents, as well as respect and fair play. He also felt romantic affections towards Elsa. Zeltrax was faithful to Mesogog and loved him as father, but then he betrayed him and lost his loyalty to his former master. When Tommy discovered that Zeltrax was Smitty, he felt pity for his old friend and thought he still could save him, but Zeltrax didn't believe in it. However, Zeltrax still possessed a soul. Also Zeltrax genuinely loved his son Goldenrod and was extremely furious when he perished.
Powers and abilities
- Strength: When Zeltrax tied Ethan up with his tractor beam, he was strong enough to slam him hard against a wall with a swipe of his hand and, when fighting the newly morphed Tommy, Zeltrax was able to knock back the new Ranger with a single kick.
- Durability/Reformation: Zeltrax was able to be blasted by the Z-Rex Blaster, as well as explode from the attack, and be unfazed. When the Thundersaurus Megazord destroyed his Aerial Assault Craft, his cockpit exploded many times in his face yet he was unfazed.
- Resilience: After being blasted by the Z-Rex Blaster, Zeltrax was able to get straight back up.
- Tractor Beam: Zeltrax can flash his "eyes" and fire a purple tractor beam from his left hand. This was powerful enough to let him lift up Ethan and slam him against a wall several times and also cause him visible pain on contact.
- Master Swordsman: Zeltrax is an absolute master of the sword. He can easily overpower the core Dino Rangers but is no match for Tommy or Trent or Conner in the Triassic Battilizer.
- Master Combatant: Zeltrax is amazing at hand to hand combat, able to easily overpower the three main Dino Rangers whilst being on par with Tommy although he was outmatched by Trent.
- Helmet Blasts: Zeltrax can fire purple energy blasts from either side of his head which were powerful enough to take Conner, Ethan, and Kira down in one hit.
- Teleportation: Zeltrax can summon a green portal above him and go into it to transport to any location at will.
- Sword: Zeltrax has a blue-bladed retractable gladius-like sword that is normally rested on a sheath located below his left knee.
- Lightning Blasts: Zeltrax can fire blue lightning from his sword which were powerful enough to wipe out Tommy whilst Zeltrax fought alongside Donkeyvac.
- Shield: Zeltrax carries an indestructible shield to defend him whilst he is fighting his enemies.
- Axe: On one occasion, Zeltrax has used a black-colored axe in his battle, starting from Back in Black, he wielded the blue-bladed gladius sword instead.
- Double-Bladed Spear: As Super Zeltrax, while he still has the sword and its sheath below his left knee, he opted to use a double-bladed sword as his weapon in this form.
Behind The Scenes
- Zeltrax was played by James Gaylyn. His suit actor in the Super Sentai footage is played by Yoshinori Okamoto (岡本 美登 Okamoto Yoshinori).
- Despite usually appearing through a green Invisiportal, in Day of the Dino, he is shown to appear from a red Invisiportal, which was taken from the Sentai footage.
- Zeltrax's armor is the only villain suit from Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger to be used regularly.
- However, Creative Messenger Mikela and Visionary Messenger Voffa appeared in Thunder Storm as Izzy and Pupperazi.
- The Barmia Soldiers (the Triptoids) were later on used as secondary footsoldiers.
- While the suit for Apostle of Destruction Jeanne wasn't used, her sword and scabbard was used as a part of Elsa's costume, and footage of her wearing the Armor of Darkness was of course used for Zeltrax instead.
- Unlike his Super Sentai counterpart which was an enchanted armor that was passed down between people when another person defeated the one who wielded it, Zeltrax was a singular villain whose armor was created as a cybernetic replacement for his original body.
- Zeltrax's Super Sentai counterpart takes on an evolved form (as seen in Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters: Dinosaur Great Battle! Farewell, Eternal Friends), it's suit was used for Snide, a key villain in Power Rangers Dino Super Charge. Snide is not related to Zeltrax.
- Zeltrax is one of villains as the return whereas they supposed to die for good (the first time) was never explained. The others are Elgar, Ecliptor, Deviot, and White Dino Ranger (clone).
- Armor of Darkness - Super Sentai counterpart in Abaranger. See comparison page. (primary Sentai counterpart)
- Apostle of Darkness Geildon - Super Sentai counterpart in Abaranger. See comparison page. (with regard to the Armor of Darkness and the "Day of the Dino" two parter)
- Apostle of Destruction Jeanne - Super Sentai counterpart in Abaranger. See comparison page. (with regard to Armor of Darkness)
- Asuka (Abaranger) - Super Sentai counterpart in Abaranger. See comparison page. (with regard to Armor of Darkness and the fight footage from the "Isn't it Lava-ly" episode)
- Wicked Life God Dezumozorlya - Super Sentai counterpart in Abaranger. See comparison page. (with regard to his "Super Zeltrax" form)
- Ginjifuan Kazak - Super Sentai counterpart in Dekaranger. See comparison page. (Role in Wormhole)
- Trinoid 0: Saunaginnan - Super Sentai counterpart in Dekaranger. See comparison page. (Role in Wormhole)