|This article is about a/an ranger in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
Retroactively, he is also referred to as the Mighty Morphin Black Ranger or Black Mighty Morphin Ranger, though these are in reference to the show, as opposed to proper labels. He is also the second-in-command to Jason Lee Scott until Tommy Oliver returned as the White Ranger.
Zack Taylor was also adapted for the Papercutz comics in 2014, which function as lost episodes of the original TV show, in which he took on two new helmet formats, and the alternative canon BOOM! Studios comics, taking on the (temporary) Pink Ranger and Green Ranger forms, (regular) Omega Black Ranger and All-New Black Ranger.
- 1 History
- 2 Family
- 3 Black Mighty Morphin Ranger
- 4 Ranger Powers
- 5 Legendary Ranger Devices
- 6 MMPR interactive CD-ROM
- 7 MMPR fan club video
- 8 Appearances
- 9 Family
- 10 Appearances in other media
- 11 Multiverse
- 12 Behind the Scenes
- 13 Notes
- 14 See Also
- 15 References
|This article contains content in reference to the main TV series, as well as supplemental material, such as the comics. A sliding/floating timeline applies. Story instances for TV and other media will be clearly marked.|
Zack is a popular and easy going guy with a troubled home life he's hesitant to share with his friends. He meets Jason for the first time in Angel Grove Youth Center.
Becoming a Ranger
Zack Taylor was a student who attended Angel Grove High School. A very enthusiastic, upbeat person, he was very close with his friends Jason Lee Scott, Billy Cranston, Trini Kwan, and Kimberly Ann Hart. Zack is a prankster and particularly enjoys holidays such as Halloween, to scare his friends; in contrast he was greatly afraid of bugs and snakes, a fear he partially conquered when he fought the monster Spidertron. He enjoys dancing at every chance he gets, and even developed his own fighting style, Hip Hop Kido, which he occasionally taught. As a close friend to both Jason and Tommy, all three liked to work out together and practice their martial arts.
Zack served as Jason's second-in-command prior the arrival of Tommy and his becoming the White Ranger and eventual leader of the team.
When Rita Repulsa had been released and her intention was to take over Earth, Zack and his friends were chosen by Zordon to defend Earth as the Power Rangers. Although initially dismissive of being chosen, Zack soon discovers that he is right for the job. Zack became the Black Mighty Morphin Power Ranger, and controlled the Mastodon Power Coin and the Mastodon Dinozord.
When they are not saving the world, teenagers with attitudes chosen by Zordon gather at the Angel Grove Youth Center. Trini updates Alpha 5 with the language of the year 1993. Far away, Dr. Carver and Dr. Kenyon discover a new civilization and the largest statue ever built in ancient America. Unintentionally, Dr. Carver activates the terrible cross between monster and robot that attacks the excavation site. Back at the Youth Center, Billy creates a device with internet access when everyone sees the attack on TV. In the territory of the attack, summoning the Dinozords, the Power Rangers fight against a terrible monster. Struck by the lightning of the stone giant, the Rangers lose communication with Zordon and have their pieces exchanged makes it difficult in battle. With the help of Alpha 5, the exchange effect was reversed and the Rangers, winning the battle and returning the giant to its location.
Throughout the remainder of the first season, Zack attempts to gain the affections of fellow school student, named Angela, though she would turn him down several times before conceding to go on a date with him. When their date was ruined by a monster attack, Zack's chances with Angela seemed slim. However, he refused to give up and succeeded in making amends with her after several ruined attempts, earning a kiss on a lips for his efforts.
During an early mission, in Italy, Zack successfully piloted the Megazord and defeated Rita's monster while Jason helped out on the ground. When the Red Ranger's heroics were celebrated over his own, Rita selected him as her first choice to become the Green Ranger, sensing jealousy in him and the desire to become the leader. Zack was tempted by the offer but, instead, unsuccessfully tried to steal the Green Ranger's power coin before she could create such a ranger. He confessed the confrontation to Zordon, but kept it secret from his friends.
Zack and his friends in the form of Power Rangers defeat Korruptor using Dino Megazord.
After Tommy joined the team, Zack became wary of his involvement. He openly questioned how much control Rita still had over him, with his distrust causing him to become confrontational with Tommy on more than one occasion though the two were eventually able to settle their differences. Zack, along with the other original Rangers, were de-powered by the Black Dragon - who had taken Billy's Power Coin to sever their connection the Morphing Grid and their Zords. He was temporarily re-powered by Tommy's Power Coin as a Green Ranger and reacquired his Mastadon.
When Lord Zedd came to Earth for his own ambitions, Zordon gave the Rangers new Zords to battle Zedd's more powerful monsters. Zack gained control of the Lion Thunderzord. The Rangers are driving out to the desert in Billy's RADBUG so they can send Rita back into space without any civilians seeing. During the drive, Zack reveals that he has gotten a gift for his girlfriend Angela: a pair of walkie-talkies designed after characters from an old children's show she likes. Trini explains to Kimberly that people often like to collect things that remind them of what made them happy, though Kimberly can't quite understand it. As the Rangers get out of the Radbug for a breather, Zack puts the walkie-talkies in the car's trunk next to Rita's Dumpster. Up in the Moon Palace, Lord Zedd is still in disbelief that his Scarlet Sentinel has fallen. Seeing the Rangers in the desert, he gets an idea and uses his power on the Radbug. Suddenly, the car comes to life and begins attempting to ram into the Rangers while claiming that it will no longer stand for being treated like a slave. The Rangers morph and use their Power Weapons to create a ramp that flips the Radbug on its roof and immobilizes it. Zedd throws a grenade down and the Radbug grows in size, plus gains a face made from Zack's walkie-talkies (which also gives Rita a means to complain about all the hassle she's getting put through). Tommy summons the White Tigerzord to deal with the Radbug while the other Rangers form the Thunder Megazord, and he tries to stop it by climbing into the runaway vehicle and driving it with his Tigerzord at the wheel. This only serves to anger the Radbug as it turns into a bipedal monster and ejects its Zord-driving driver. The Thunder Megazord rides the White Tigerzord to catch up to the Radbug as it nears Angel Grove's city limits. Once it gets close, the Megazord jumps onto the Radbug's hood and tears its fuel line out to end the joyride.With the Radbug back to normal, Billy tends to repairs while the other Rangers prepare to send Rita on her trip. Zack also recovers his walkie-talkies, which are perfectly intact, and Kimberly admits that she'll never doubt the value of collectibles again.
Participating in a final push against Drakkon's Tower on the Moon in the World of the Coinless, Zack manned his station in the Dragonzord Battle Mode led by Kimberly, who Jason entrusted with Tommy's Dragon Armor. Within one of the several Megazords present, the Rangers led the fight against a massive army of Ranger Sentries. Eventually, however, the Megazords were overwhelmed by the arrival of Lord Drakkon's immense Zord, Serpentera, whose assault forced the Rangers out from their cockpits onto the ground.
The Power Transfer
Later on, a peace conference was soon held to be attended in Switzerland, and only three teenagers were selected to go. Zack, along with Jason and Trini were selected. With his zest for living, upbeat attitude, and charm, Zack was a natural choice at the peace conference. Three of their friends, Adam Park, Rocky DeSantos, and Aisha Campbell would replace them as Rangers. Zack's last Ranger mission was to find the Sword of Light, which he would use to transfer the Rangers' powers. Adam became Zack's successor as the new Black Ranger. His current whereabouts following his return from the Peace Conference is currently unknown. As he has never returned to being a Ranger before The Legendary Battle it is assumed he returned to a normal life.
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Pink
When Kimberly needs to recruit Power Rangers for help in saving her mom, she goes to South America to find them. As she arrives, Zack teaching a karate class.
When Kim asked for help, Zack and Trini willingly go with her and become power rangers again. At some point after leaving Angel Grove, Trini and Zack began a relationship
Legacy of Power
Bully for Ethan
Zack appeared in the picture of the old MMPR team that Dr. Tommy Oliver had with him as a memento of the past during the time when he returned as the Green Ranger again. Kira found the image in this episode while helping Tommy.
Zack and the other Mighty Morphin Power Rangers returned, with his powers somehow fully restored, as part of the army of Legendary Rangers led by Tommy that helped the Mega Rangers defeat the Armada once and for all, fighting in a huge battle against hundreds of X Borgs and dozens of Bruisers.
Even though it's not officially revealed if Zack was the Black Ranger at the time and not Adam (as both of them share the Mastodon Power Coin), a Black Ranger responded to his old teammate's signal and returned alongside his fellow Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as part of the Legendary Dino Rangers army. When Evox summoned his massive Chimera Zord, his team joined in summoning the Megazord and aiding in its defeat. With Evox on the run again, the teams departed.
Black Mighty Morphin Ranger
Appearances: MMPR S1 Episodes 1-60, MMPR S2 Episodes 1-21, 23-28, SM Episodes 20 & LBEV, BM S2 Episode 13
As a result of being teleported to Breel, Zack's powers gained Kimberly's Ranger powers, while Billy gained his powers. This swap allowed for Zack to become the Pink Ranger. Arsenal
When his ability to use his Ranger powers were disrupted by the Shredder, Zack gave his Morpher to Donatello to use and donned ninja streetwear to help fight the Foot Clan. Despite being titled as a "Ranger", Zack's abilities are nowhere near as strong as his morphed form and are on par with how he is unmorphed.
- to be added
Zack and his Coinless counterpart temporarily disguised as the Mastodon Sentries, alongside Coinless Skull (who disguise as a Tyrannosaurus Sentry) to rescue Ninjor from Drakkon's mind control device.
- Unnamed gun weapon: Mastodon Sentries are armed with a military-style rifle weapon with a muzzle that resembles the one from the original Power Axe of the Black Ranger. The gun can fire powerful red laser beams to injure or kill their intended target.
Morph and Roll Call
Legendary Ranger Devices
The Black Mighty Morphin Ranger Key is Zack's personal Ranger Key. This key along with the majority of the Core Ranger Keys are seen lining the Command Center's interior walls. This key is mainly used by Jake Holling (Super Megaforce Green) who uses it to fight as the Black Mighty Morphin Ranger.
- When the Super Mega Rangers became the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers while fighting Matacore.
- When the Super Mega Rangers became the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers while fighting against Invidious and his X Borgs.
MMPR interactive CD-ROM
- Zack's birthday was given as May 3, making him a Taurus.
- Zack's birthplace was given as Washington, D.C.
MMPR fan club video
- Asked how he hadd come up with hip hop kido, Zack said he had combined dancing with martial arts, believing it to be the best way to have fun and defend oneself at the same time.
- Mr. (Unknown) Taylor -
- Mrs. (Unknown) Taylor -
- Benjamin Taylor - Older Brother
- Curtis - Cousin (mentioned)
Appearances in other media
- Zack appears as a playable character in Power Rangers Legacy Wars, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (video game), Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Sega CD) (archive footage), Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (video game) (Sega Genesis version), Power Rangers: Super Legends
- A Black Ranger appears in Power Rangers Unite, though it is not specified if it is him or Adam Park.
- An alternate version of Zack with a slightly altered history appears in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Mega Battle.
- An alternate version of Zack with an altered history appears in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Boom! Studios).
|Zack Taylor (Miguel Nunez)||Bio-Rhythm Green||Bio-Man (1986)|
|Zach (Walter E. Jones)||Black Ranger||Lost Episode (1992)|
|Zachary "Zack" Taylor (Walter E. Jones)||Black Ranger (I)||TV series|
|Zach Davis||Black Ranger (I)||Hamilton Comics|
|Zzzzack||Black Meower Ranger||Mighty Morphin Meower Rangers (2017)|
|Zack Taylor (Ludi Lin)||Black Ranger (II)||Power Rangers Movie (2017)|
|Zack Taylor||Black Ranger (I) & All-New Black Ranger||Boom! Studios|
|Zack Taylor||Black Ranger & Mastodon Sentry||World of the Coinless|
|Zack Taylor||Black Ninja Ranger||Black Mighty Morphin Ranger Army|
|Zack Taylor||Armored Black Ranger||Black Mighty Morphin Ranger Army|
|Zach Taylor||"Mecha" Black Ranger||Black Mighty Morphin Ranger Army|
|Ms. Taylor||Black Ranger ♀||Black Mighty Morphin Ranger Army|
|Sir Zachary||Black Knight Ranger||Black Mighty Morphin Ranger Army|
Behind the Scenes
- Zach is portrayed by Walter Emanuel Jones. In Super Sentai footage from Zyuranger, his suit actor was Naoki Ōfuji (大藤 直樹 Ōfuji Naoki). In US footage, his suit actors are Danny Wayne Stallcup and Hien Nguyen.
- Zack was the first person to speak in the original pilot for the show and the first non-villain character to speak outside of grunting in the actual pilot episode. He is thus the first person to speak in the entire franchise.
- Controversy over Thuy Trang and Walter Jones being cast the Yellow and Black Rangers led to accusations of racism against Saban. According to Tony Oliver at Power Morphicon 2007, the producers were unaware of this being racially insensitive until the 10th episode.
- However according to IMDb, Walter Jones was originally cast as Billy the Blue Ranger. However, it was Jones' idea he be cast as Zack, believing he would be more recognizable as the Black Ranger.
- Walter Jones, the actor portraying Zack, is missing the middle finger on his left hand which he lost in a childhood accident, but the camera almost always managed to avoid portraying this.
- However near the end of "Island of Illusions, Pt. 1", the missing finger can be seen. His missing finger can also be seen in his morphing sequence, where the other Rangers show five fingers on the top of their Morphers. In "The Wanna-Be Ranger", Primator tricks Trini and Kimberly that the others are having trouble in the park as Zack. Zack actually stays behind and drinks Trini's banana shake, and his missing finger is seen. And in the end of Switching Places, as he is talking to Zordon on his communicator, his missing finger can be seen.
- He is the only original Mighty Morphin Ranger who is not featured in Power Rangers: Super Legends.
- Due to the morphing order of the five original Rangers, this makes Zack technically the very first character in the series to morph into a Power Ranger.
- Zack is also the very first Ranger in the series to be officially introduced. However, he is not the first Ranger to appear onscreen; this title belongs to Kimberly.
- Zack is one of three original Rangers to leave the series and make no further appearances in character. Trini and Billy were the other two; however Thuy Trang was killed in a car accident in 2001, and David Yost left the show as a result of homophobic remarks made by the crew.
- The spelling of Zack's name is often disputed, with several sources including official merchandise spelling his name as "Zach." However, as confirmed by opening credits, it is officially spelled "Zack".
- The name Zack Taylor was originally used in a pitch by Saban for an adaption of Choudenshi Bioman called Bio-Man. The character was to be Green2, and he was a detective, and an Aries instead of a Taurus.
- Zack is the first Ranger to serve as second-in-command.
- Zack was the first Ranger to have a solo morph.
- Zack is a playable character in Power Rangers Legacy Wars.
- Daigo of the Heavenly Phantom Star - Super Sentai counterpart in Dairanger. See comparison page.
- Adam Park - The Ranger who replaced him as Black Mighty Morphin Ranger.
- Shirou Akebono - The first Sentai black.
- Kanpei Kuroda - The first Sentai Black to be second-in-command.
- Kenji Asuka - The first Sentai Ranger to take his position on the team.
- Akira Shinmei - The first Second-in-command Ranger.
|Power Rangers (Boom Studios)|
|Jason Lee Scott - Zack Taylor - Billy Cranston - Trini Kwan - Kimberly Ann Hart - Tommy Oliver|
|The 1969 Rangers|
|Grace Sterling - Nikolai Chukarin - Terona Washington - Daniel O'Halloran - Jamie Gilmore|
|The All-New Power Rangers|
|Britt - Serge|
|Promethea Rangers/Solar Rangers|
|Kimberly Ann Hart - Mike Corbett - Tanya Sloan - Heckyl - Cameron Watanabe - Andros - Ellarien - Remi|
|Post-Shattered Grid Rangers|
|Adam Park - Aisha Campbell - Rocky DeSantos - Matthew Cook|
|Zordon - Alpha 5 - Ninjor - Dr. K - Amanda - XI - Yale of Saard - The Justice League|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
|Leonardo - Raphael - Michelangelo - Donatello - April O'Neil|
|Guardians of Eltar|
|Zophram - Zartus - Zordon - Zelya|
|Bulk - Skull - Ms. Appleby - Ernie - Mrs. Pruitt - Roger Hart - Helen Hart - Mrs. Kwan - Mrs. Oliver - Mr. Cranston - Mrs. Cranston - Violet Arias - Sam Scott|
|Evil Space Aliens|
|Rita Repulsa - Lord Zedd - Dayne - Goldar - Squat - Baboo - Scorpina - Putty Patrollers|
|Sir Locks-A-Lot - Vixenya - Commandant - Vitruvian Man Giant - Black Dragon - Unnamed Plant Monster - Double Disastron - Karmadillo - Boarlock - Goth Sloth - Crowverload - Mr. Meowgi - Wizard of Deception - Psycho Green - Sheeple - Crystal Cryptid - Monsieur Muster - Mutant Rangers|
|Go Go Power Rangers Monsters|
|Flog - Putty Infiltrator - Montaur - Rammerhead - Pudgy Pig - Megaputty - Stabasaurus Rex - Warbunny - Nimrod the Scarlet Sentinel - AC - DC|
|Shattered Grid and Beyond the Grid|
|Lauren Shiba - Jen Scotts - Dark Ranger - Space Rangers - Ninja Steel Rangers - Carter Grayson - HyperForce Rangers - Mike Corbett - Ari - Remi|
|World of the Coinless|
|Zack - Trini - Saba - Ranger Slayer - Skull - Billy - Jason - Bulk - Aisha Campbell - Matt - Scorpina - Adam Park|
|Shattered Grid: Lord Drakkon - Finster 5 - Ranger Sentries - Rita Repulsa - Koragg, The Knight Wolf - A-Squad - Psycho Rangers - Cogs - Grinders|
|Beyond the Grid: Praetor|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers|
|0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34 - 35 - 36 - 37 - 38 - 39 - 40 - 41 - 42 - 43 - 44 - 45 - 46 - 47 - 48 - 49 - 50 - 51 - 52 - 53 - 54 - 55|
|Go Go Power Rangers|
|1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32|
|1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8|
|1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8|
|Power Rangers Unlimited|
|Heir to Darkness - Edge of Darkness|
|Annuals/Specials and Crossovers|
|2016 Annual - 2017 Annual - 2018 Annual - Anniversary Special - Free Comic Book Day 2018 Special - Shattered Grid Finale - Back To School Special - Forever Rangers|
|Justice League/Power Rangers|
|Issue 1 - Issue 2 - Issue 3 - Issue 4 - Issue 5 - Issue 6|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
|MMPR/TMNT Issue 1 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 2 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 3 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 4 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 5|
|View • Edit|
Zack • Adam • Corcus • Carlos • Danny • Tommy • Will • Dillon • Jake • Chase • Javi
Adam (alternate continuity) • Zack (2016 comic) • Zack (alternate continuity) • Vesper • Jamie
|View • Edit|