|This article is about a/an ranger in Shuriken Sentai Ninninger.|
|"The Rumbling Cloud! AoNinger! (|
|―AoNinger's roll call.[src]|
Yakumo "Cloud" Katou (加藤・クラウド・八雲 Katō "Kuraudo" Yakumo) is AoNinger (アオニンジャー Ao Ninjā, Blue Ninja), who is known as The Cool Ninja (
Yakumo is 19 years old at the beginning of the series.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Family
- 4 Powers and Abilities
- 5 Video game appearances
- 6 Forms
- 7 Ranger Key
- 8 Behind the scenes
- 9 Notes
- 10 Appearances
- 11 See Also
- 12 References
One of Yoshitaka Igasaki's successors, Yakumo was one of his grandchildren chosen to become the Ninningers. He was called by Tsumuji Igasaki, his uncle and Takaharu and Fuuka's father to return to Japan. After reunited with the other Ninninger candidates, Tsumuji leads them to Gengetsu Kibaoni's resting place, which was sealed by Yoshitaka until the Sealing Shuriken were released by the revived Gengetsu and wandered off to various part of the city. After the Ninningers destroy Youkai Kamaitachi, it grew large and they received five OtomoNin Shuriken, which they used to form Shurikenjin and finished the Youkai. Yoshitaka revealed himself to be much alive, but lectured them for their inexperience and lead them to their new dojo that they will use as their new base. In the end, Yakumo was forced to abandon his magic training from England to take the mantle of AoNinger.
During the hottest point in summer, the boys decided to play a prank on the girls after Nagi overheard Kasumi confide in Fuuka that she was afraid of ghosts, with Yakumo only agreeing after being accused of being scared of Kasumi. Luring the two to an abandoned building which they claimed to be haunted possibly due to a Yokai, they proceeded to put on spooky costumes, with Yakumo dressing as a fallen soldier. Pulling their prank, they were confused to see only a spooked Fuuka run out, especially due to her claiming to see a 'lady ghost' which they did not account for. Takaharu headed back for Kasumi, followed by Yakumo and Kinji. With no word, Nagi and Fuuka found they had been frozen by the Yokai Yuki-Onna, with Fuuka soon following suit. Left alone, Nagi managed to conjure some heat as Kasumi revealed herself having used a decoy, luring the Yokai into a trap. Yakumo and the others were thawed by a Fire technique as the Ninningers proceeded to defeat Yuki-Onna.
When Fuuka was scouted by a producer for his new movie featuring the popular actor SILVER as Dracula, the Ninningers, suspecting the Western Yokai Dracula was involved, went undercover and accompanied Fuuka to her audition, with Yakumo and Nagi disguising themselves as potential actresses alongside Kasumi. Along with all the other candidates bar Fuuka; Yakumo, Nagi then Kasumi as well fall victim to Dracula's bite, putting them into a deep sleep allowing him to harvest human fear through induced nightmares. Yakumo and the others soon wake up when their life energy is returned following Dracula's defeat by Fuuka, Takaharu and Kinji. Yakumo, Nagi, and Kasumi then board their OtomoNin to get back at Dracula, pushing him back enough for Takaharu to destroy the enlarged Western Yokai.
When Yoshitaka announced the mid-point results of the Last Ninja race, Yakumo was disappointed to learn that he had only made second-from-last at 5th. In reality, however, "grandad" was actually Nekomata's doppelganger Yokai Mataneko in disguise, who intended to get revenge against the Ninningers by breaking them up, hosting a lightning quiz round when the initial results failed. After the Ninningers noticed signs that something was amiss, Kasumi fetched a second Yoshitaka, exposing the first as a fake via catnip. The Ninningers then transformed to fight him, with Takaharu as AkaNininger Chozetsu defeating Mataneko with Shinobimaru after being accidentally enlarged alongside the Yokai. Afterwards, at the request of his grandchildren, Yoshitaka gave his true mid-point results, stating that they were all still at the starting line, with this news only giving them a strengthened resolve to continue training.
After bonding with Kinji Takigawa/StarNinger, Yakumo's partnership with the American-born ninja is jokingly referred to by the other Ninningers as the Western Combo (欧米コンビ Ōbei Konbi, Western Combi), coined by Kasumi, referring to the special relationship between the United States of America and the United Kingdom of Great Britain.
Finding Takaharu bringing a girl to the house, Yakumo along with Nagi, Kasumi and Kinji, discussed this new development while eavesdropping on the two, wondering what Fuuka would make of her brother having a girlfriend. Inadvertently revealing themselves when Fuuka arrived, it turned out that Takaharu's 'girlfriend', Kikyo Kousaka, was an old friend of his from his days travelling while training as a ninja, having returned due to the opening of a new ninja school by the ninja master Kiroku Ise, where she was to instruct new students. This intriuged the Ninningers, with Yakumo sneaking into the school with Kasumi and Kinji, they learned that Kiroku was involved with the Kibaoni Army following a skirmish with Masakage Tsugomori, warning Takaharu who came to confront him personally. Yakumo and the others later helped the students escape from the school before saving Takaharu, Kikyo and Kiroku from Puppet Ninja Kuroari who had been manipulating Kiroku, with the Ninningers proceeding to defeat the dark ninja. After Takaharu said goodbye to Kikyo, the Ninningers were amused that he misunderstood what Kikyo meant by wondering what they would be when they next met, assuring him that he didn't have to worry about it yet.
Beyond AoNinger, Yakumo fought through the Yokai horde before reuniting with the others as they backed-up Takaharu against Sakuya Kyuemon. With their unwavering resolve, all six Ninningers were able to restore their Nintality, transforming together and overcoming Sakuya Kyuemon, managing to get through to him before he was absorbed by Gengetsu who, as a giant, would be finally destroyed by the Ninningers in Gekiatsu Dai-Oh with help from Kyuemon, who left behind the End Shuriken before passing away. With the End Shuriken in their grasp, the Ninningers used it to wish for a world without the End Shuriken, finally wiping out the Yokai and restoring the damage that had been done to the world. With the title of Last Ninja passed onto them, the six Ninningers elected to go their seperate ways and meet back in two years to recollect what they have each done.
Naming himself the Last Magic Ninja, Yakumo returned to his magic school in England where he taught a combination of ninjutsu and magic.
Zyuohger vs. Ninninger
Chou Super Hero Taisen
An iteration of Yakumo Katou/AoNinger was selected to join Team Ex-Aid, formed and led by Emu Hojo to fight for the title of Kamen Sentai Gorider in the Chou Super Hero Taisen tournament. After being chosen by Emu and Momotaros for their team, he mistakenly chooses Masato Jin, due to being similar to Tsubasa Ozu. Facing the Dairangers in the first round, AoNinger bested KirinRanger. Ultimately, Team Ex-Aid faced off against Team Genm, led by Kamen Rider Genm Zombie Gamer Level X, in the final round. Though AoNinger was beaten by Kamen Rider Specter, the team prevailed as Ex-Aid bested Genm. Upon completing the tournament, AoNinger became Ao-Rider as Team Ex-Aid were granted the form of Kamen Sentai Gorider, allowing them to use the Rider Hurricane together to destroy the Andor Genesis mothership. Their objective achieved, Yakumo and the other Game World teammates returned to their card forms and left while Emu's Aka-Rider transformation as he was left to face the Chou Shocker Taisen.
During the final battle against the Shocker army from the Game World, Kamen Rider Brave, who had acquired the cards from his Game World counterpart, summoned Ex-Aid's teammates again to back him up in his fight against the Oogumo Great Leader. Unfortunately, the quartet did not last long before being defeated, however, Ex-Aid would ultimately vanquish Shocker Leader III alongside the Kyurangers.
Yakumo has lived most of his life abroad and was learning European magic in England when he was called back. He is the rich boy type with a cool demeanor and somewhat presumptuous. In contrast, however, he has a quick temper and can be a bit of a bonehead at times. Out of his cousins/Ninningers, Yakumo is a quick-learner and can master ninjutsu quickly than the others, claiming it easier than magic.
Yakumo at first had no interest in Ninjutsu, claiming it easier than magic training. This was however until when he was lectured by Takaharu/AkaNinger and had developed a rivalry with him, he decided to compete with the others to inherit his grandfather's title as the Last Ninja.
Thanks to his tactical mind and maturity, he is more level-headed than his cousin Takaharu, and as such can be seen as the unofficial leader of his Sentai team.
- Harukaze Katou - Mother
- Tsumuji Igasaki - Uncle
- Sakurako Igasaki - Aunt
- Unnamed aunt
- Nagi Matsuo - Cousin
- Unnamed aunt
- Kasumi Momochi - Cousin
Powers and Abilities
- Ninjutsu Expertise
- Being trained to be a ninja for many years, he is skilled in ninjutsu and Shuriken Ninja Arts.
- Enhanced Reflexes
- Since Yakumo as well is a trained ninja, his body reflexes also maximized.
- Body Flicker
- He was able to move at an almost untraceable speed in a puff of smoke.
- Body Replacement
- He is able to put a straw dummy in his place to fool his enemies.
- Shuriken Ninja Art (シュリケン忍法 Shuriken Ninpō)
- Thanks to his Nintality inherited from Yoshitaka Igasaki, Yakumo can perform a wide variety of abilities through ninja techniques in addition to those accessed using the Ninninger arsenal.
- Magic Expertise
- As a student of a unnamed wizarding school in England, as well as having being tutored by Tsubasa Ozu/MagiYellow, he has shown many skills of magic. Yakumo notes that magic wears off over time meaning that, such as in the case of his transformation spells, they are only temporary.
- Fire Manipulation
- He was able to create a fire and shape it into a small dragon with his wand. When imbued it with AkaNinger with his Shuriken Ninpo-fuelled Flame Technique, it turns him into a giant fire dragon that attacks his target.
- He was able to use his wand to levitate himself and fly around.
- Daudora Taiha (ダウドラ・タイハ)
- Forces the target to reveal what information Yakumo wanted to know.
- Roude Migaka (ローデミ・ガカ)
- Creates mirror as a defensive shield against magic-themed attacks.
- Reena ni Kota (レーナニ・コタ)
- Turns Dragomaru into its kite-riding formation.
- Reedomo Nin Gorado (レードモニン・ゴラド)
- Revert the kite-riding Dragomaru back to its dragon formation.
- Reega Arimo (レーガ・アリモ)
- Creates a cyclone as an attack.
- Reena ni Kinuta (レーナニ・キヌタ)
- Changes the target into a Tanuki statue, accidentally used on Tsumuji Igasaki.
- Redomo ni Shidarifu (レードモニ・シダリフ)
- Revert the spells that affected the target to normal, used to reverse Tsumuji's aforementioned Tanuki transformation.
- Reena ni Muufoniyu
- Changes the target into a baseball player, used on Takaharu.
- Reena ni Miruguinu (レーナニ・ミルグイヌ)
- Changes the target into a plush white dog toy reminsicent of Wanmaru, used on Fuuka.
- Reena nichamo Onomaruku (レーナニチャモ・オノマルク)
- Changes the target into a dump truck toy reminiscent of Dumpmaru, used on Nagi.
- Reena nichamo Onotagi (レーナニチャモ・オノータギ)
- Changes the target into a toy guitar, used on Kinji.
- Reena ni Uyoginni (レーナニ・ウヨギンニ)
- Changes the target into a doll, used to turn Kasumi and Takaharu into a pink girl doll and an AkaNinger figurine respectively.
- Reena nichamo Onongorado (レーナニチャモ・オノンゴラド)
- Changes the target into a blue dragon toy reminiscent of Dragomaru, used on himself.
- Reena ni Jaanni (レーナニ・)
Video game appearances
Super Sentai Battle Base
AoNinger is among the vast pantheon of Rangers which are available in the mobile game Super Sentai Battle Base, with his Chozetsu form also being available.
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger: Game de Wasshoi!!
Super Sentai Legend Wars
AoNinger appears with his team among all Sentai in the mobile game Super Sentai Legend Wars.
|"Ao Ja! Ninja!"|
- Nin Shuriken
- AoNinger Shuriken
- OtomoNin Shuriken: Blue
- Ninja Ichibantou
- Gama Gama Gun
- Ninnin Buckle
- Karakuri Hengen
- Home Trigger (loaned by ToQ 2gou)
|"The Chozetsu! Chozetsu Ninja!"|
AoNinger Chozetsu (アオニンジャー超絶 Aka Ninjā Chōzetsu) is AoNinger's power-up form accessed through the Chozetsu Shuriken and Chozetsu Shoubu Changer with Shishi-Oh's blessing, allowing him to fight with the power of the lion OtomoNin.
Appearances: Ninninger Episodes 38, 44
OtomoNin Seiryuumaru (オトモ忍セイリュウマル Otomo Nin Seiryūmaru, lit. "Companion Ninja Azure Dragon Circle") is a dragon-themed OtomoNin designed by Yakumo. It forms the right arm of Gekiatsu Dai-Oh.
Appearances: Ninninger Episodes 32-39, 41, 42, 45, 47, Ninnin Girls vs. Boys FINAL WARS
|―Ao-Rider's role call[src]|
Ao-Rider (アオライダー Aoraidā) is the Blue hero of the hybrid Kamen Rider/Super Sentai team Kamen Sentai Gorider. AoNinger was granted this form when Team Ex-Aid prevailed in the Game World's Chou Super Hero Taisen tournament.
Ao-Rider is composed of the following parts:
- Super Antenna Antennae (超触角アンテナ Chō Shokkaku Antena) - The antennae. They can intercept communications by capturing radio waves within a 5km radius. They can contact the other Goriders or allies.
- C Eye (C・アイ C Ai) - The compound eyes. In detects heat sources and body reactions, and utilises this information to target enemies that move at high speed.
- O-Signal (O・シグナル O Shigunaru) - A small device embedded on the forehead. Notifies Aka-Rider of any enemies within a 3km radius.
- Crusher (クラッシャー Kurasshā) - The mouthplate. It can actually open up and bite down on an enemy. The fangs are extremely sharp and can easily chew through sturdy steel. The ability to open and close the Crusher has not been seen in any current media.
- Protective Clothing (防護服 Bōgo-fuku) - The entire bodysuit. It is made of special chemical fibres that can absorb shocks.
- Gorider Mantle (ゴライダーマント Goraidā Manto) - The collar-cape section. The Gorider Mantle's surface is explosion proof, reducing damage taken from behind (most likely to shield Ao-Rider from explosions that occur during introductory scenes).
- Converter Lung (コンバーターラング Konbātā Rangu) - The red chest armor. It is both flexible and durable. It takes in surrounding heat and wind energy, converting them into energy to power Ao-Rider.
- Power Amplification Gloves (パワー増幅グローブ Pawā Zōfuku Gurōbu) - The gloves. They enhances the wearer's punches via electrical stimulation.
- Power Amplification Boots (パワー増幅ブーツ Pawā Zōfuku Būtsu) - The boots. They enhance the wearer's kicks via electrical stimulation.
- Typhoon (タイフーン Taifūn) - Ao-Rider's transformation belt. By spinning the windmill device within the centre via wind energy, energy is produced, allowing transformation and deathblows.
- Energy Converter (エナージコンバーター Enāji Konbātā) - Two silver devices located on either side of the Typhoon. They store energy produced by Ao-Rider.
|―Mobilates' Gokai Change announcement[src]|
The AoNinger Ranger Key (アオニンジャーレンジャーキー Ao Ninjā Renjā Kī) is Yakumo's personal Ranger Key released as part of a set of Ninninger Ranger Keys in Premium Bandai. It made its debut in episode 28 of Zyuohger. The AoNinger Ranger Key was mainly used by Joe Gibken (Gokai Blue), who used it to fight as AoNinger.
Transformation and Roll Call
Behind the scenes
- His nickname, Cloud, is a pun of his original first name, Yakumo, from the kanji "Kumo" (雲 lit. "Cloud").
- The unnamed magic school in England he attended is almost certainly a reference to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from the Harry Potter franchise.
- Shuriken Sentai Ninninger Super Complete Works 2016 page 10-11: 'Yakumo Katou/AoNinger' section.