|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers.|
- ""Ah ha ha ha ha! What's the matter Alien Ranger? Feeling a little parched? Now, let's cut to the chase shall we? How about an old fashioned duel in the sun?""
- ―Witchblade's first words when confronting Cestro by himself.[src]
- ""Well, well, well my pretties! Ha ha!""
- ―Witchblade upon being enlarged.[src]
- ""Oh, no, I'm falling, falling! What a world!""
- ―Witchblade's final words before her death[src]
Lord Zedd's old friend Witchblade was sent to prevent the Alien Rangers from finding pure water and thus kill them after the water sources in Angel Grove had proved too dangerous for them. She was used instead of a monster made by Finster since he had lost all confidence in the monster-maker's creations due to their repeated failures to be effective against either the Alien Rangers or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. She first appeared when she confronted Cestro in the desert, trying to prevent him from re-hydrating after he was sent alone to search out pure water. She fought him and managed to overpower him, eventually forcing him to run into a nearby jungle, She nearly killed him until the other Rangers showed up. Seeing that she would be no match for the combined team, Zedd unleashed lightning from his staff which made Witchblade grow. The Alien Rangers tried to summon their Battle Borgs but this failed since Zedd was apparently blocking their transmissions so they summoned the Shogunzords instead and formed the Shogun Megazord. Wiitchblade charged at it fearlessly but was easily killed by the Fire Saber.
Behind the Scenes
- Witchblade was voiced by Wendee Lee, the voice for Scorpina, whose voice acting was clearly trying to invoke Margaret Hamilton's portrayal the Wicked Witch of The West from the iconic 1939 rendition of the Lyman Frank Baum (AKA L. Frank Baum) book The Wizard of Oz.
- This is most evident in her final words which harken to the Wicked Witch's final words prior to her death ("Ohhh! You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world!")
Witchblade is a truly psychopathic alien whose personality was similar enough to Lord Zedd's to befriend him. She is also sadistic, cackling and mocking a clearly dying Cestro like it was one big joke.
Powers and abilities
- Strength: Witchblade was able to send Cestro flying with one swing of her claw arm after taking him by surprise.
- Skilled Fighter: Witchblade was a very skilled fighter, being able to match a weakened Cestro in combat and even overwhelm him. It is unclear how she would have fared against him fully rehydrated.
- Fireballs: Witchblade can fire orange fireballs from her left hand strong enough to cause large explosions in the lake around Cestro. Although the attack itself isn't seen, she says "how about a little fire, Ranger?" which implies it was a series of fireballs.
- Claw: Instead of a left hand, Witchblade has a massive golden lobster claw to smack her enemies with.
- The name of this monster could be referencing the Witchblade franchise, which features the eponymous supernatural and sentient artifact in the form of a left-handed gauntlet bonding with a female host and provides them with a variety of powers. Albeit coincidental with this monster's design (having been made in Japan prior to March 1995, the year and month "Witchblade" was first circulating), this monster has an unnaturally steel arm that has razor-sharp blades on it.
- The name is likely also derived from "switchblade", a type of pocketknife.
- This is however a coincidence since the comics weren't released in America until March 1999, three years and two months after the end of Alien Rangers.
- The reason for this similarity is because both Witchblade and the comic monster were based upon the Japanese Youkai known as Amikiri who has a massive serrated iron arm.
- Witchblade contains many references to the character of the Wicked Witch of the West, from The Wizard of Oz.
- Her voice and cackle are reminiscent of the Witch's voice as depicted in the 1939 Wizard of Oz film.
- She says "How 'bout a little fire, Ranger?" as she blasts the Blue Ranger with fire. This mirrors the Wicked Witch's line, "How bout a little fire, Scarecrow?" as she ignites his straw.
- She refers to the Battle Borgs as "Tin Men", likely a reference to the Tin Woodsman.
- She refers to the Rangers as "My pretties," as the Witch calls Dorothy.
- When defeated by the Shogun Megazord, she cries "Oh no, I'm falling, falling! What a world!", similar to what the Witch's cry, "I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world!"