This article is a stub, meaning it needs more information to be a full article. You can improve this RangerWiki article by expanding it if more information is available. If you believe this article to be a dead stub, it may need to be deleted in accordance with the Style Guide.
|This article is about a/an ranger in Uchu Sentai Kyuranger.|
Tsurugi Ohtori (鳳 ツルギ Ōtori Tsurugi) is a mysterious warrior, an astronaut and a head scientist of a now abandoned Tsurugi Ohtori Science Laboratory who fought alongside Orion to free space from Jark Matter as Houou Soldier (ホウオウソルジャー Hōō Sorujā), whom has slept inside the Argo for about 300 years.
He is the first human who had an adventure in outer space, in the same time he found a Houou Kyutama and becoming a head scientist of Tsurugi Ohtori Science Laboratory. He has left behind so many legends that are unwritable, such as his now abandoned Science Lab.
More than 300 years before the current Kyuranger team, Tsurugi was initially a head scientist in Earth before joining the Orion team of Kyurangers. He alongside the Orion team defeated the previous Jark Matter and supposedly killed Don Armage. However, Tsurugi and the past Kyuranger team achievements and records were erased by the current Jark Matter and Don Armage, though some of the generals still recognize him and Don Armage was after him for revenge, which was Jark Matter's reasons of conquering Earth. Tsurugi was also responsible in the construction of Raptor 283, as he developed some of her technology.
He is found in the Argo, and later awakened from his slumber by Lucky, Stinger, Champ and Kotaro Sakuma.
He attacked them in confusion until the team transforms, with Tsurugi recognize their status as Kyurangers. As they ask him how to use the Argo, he explains that the Argo was merely a vessel and that he was the key to defeating Jark Matter. He transforms into Houou Soldier for the first time after a century and easily destroys an entire fleet of Jark Matter's invasion ships, much to the main Kyuranger team's amazement. He left on his own after dealing with the fleet, revealing that he had the Hercules Kyutama.
He visits the current Kyuranger team from the ORION, though he have to draw their attention to let him in. Kotaro Sakuma was skeptical as he did not heard of Tsurugi before. Much to Tsurugi's dismay, nobody knows him back in Earth. He then theorized that Jark Matter was the one who erased his records from history.
Possessing a huge level of pride in himself, Tsurugi regards himself as "the legendary savior", claiming all of his feats to be part of his so-called "legend". He also has a habit of saying "My Word" (なんてこと Nante koto) as well as using "Ore-sama" (俺様) as his first person pronoun Despite his arrogant personality, he was quite intelligent and was able to take in details quickly. He was able to use various tech easily due to his profession as a scientist in the past.
- Houou Kyutama
- Kyu Buckle
- Transformation Rotating Sword Houou Blade & Shield
- Phoenix End (フェニックスエンド Fenikkusu Endo): Houou Solider performs a powerful flame slash attack with the Houou Blade.
Behind the Scenes
- Of the 88 modern constellations, he represents Phoenix, "The Phoenix".
- Tsurugi Ohtori is portrayed by Keisuke Minami (南 圭介 Minami Keisuke). He previously appeared as Seiji Ogawa in episode 6 of Engine Sentai Go-Onger. As Houou Soldier, his suit actor is Yohei Fujita (藤田 洋平 Fujita Yohei).
- Interestingly, Houou Soldier's helmet is styled to look like a Kyutama.
- Houou Soldier's phoenix-shaped visor evokes a previous phoenix-themed Red hero: MagiRed.
- Additionally, the way the phoenix's wings are spread out makes the visor resemble the Kanji 王 ("Oh") for king, which was previously used by KingRanger. This is also reflected in his surname which means "King Bird".
- The visor on Houou Soldier's helmet is also slightly similar to the visor of Shinken Pink, with the only difference being the upward stroke.
- Houou Soldier's helmet resemble the Dekarangers's Swat Mode helmet .
- He shares his surname with Gen Ohtori, the human host of Ultraman Leo, the main Ultra of the titular series.
- His full name also resembles Houjin Yatsurugi, a Chiba-based local hero.
- His status as a warrior from the past is similar to Tsukumaro Ogami from Gaoranger.
- Houou Soldier shares some similarities with most of the Secondary Sentai Red Rangers:
- His color scheme and non-full armored design is similar to the very first secondary Red Ranger: TimeFire.
- He wields his sword and shield in combat like Wolzard Fire. However, unlike Wolzard Fire, Houou Soldier's weapons are also acting as his transformation devices.
- Tsurugi is also the first Post Anniversary Secondary Red to appear since Ikkou Kasumi from Hurricaneger.
- He is one of two Kyurangers to originate from Earth, the other being Kotaro Sakuma.
- His personality of being very full of himself and usage of the pronoun "Ore-sama" is similar to Eiji Takaoka from GoGo Sentai Boukenger.
- Uchu Sentai Kyuranger