|This article is about a/an zord in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "Thunder Megazord, power up!"
- ―Mighty Morphin Rangers announcing the complete transformation[src]
The Thunder Megazord, also referred to as Mega Thunderzord or simply Megazord, is the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' second Megazord formation, created by merging the five Thunderzords: the Red Dragon, Lion, Unicorn, Griffin and Firebird Thunderzord. The Rangers piloted the Thunder Megazord from the green orb on its chest.
- See also: Mythical Chi Beasts
The Thunder Megazord uses its sword, the Thunder Saber, as a weapon, and powers up the sword before performing a big slash to finish the monster. Unlike the Thunder Megazord's predecessor, the sword does not fall from the sky, but is kept in a scabbard on his waist. If the sword is taken by a monster, the Thunder Megazord can charge it up and shock the monster which was used when Trumpet Top stole the Thunder Saber and used it against the formation. The Thunder Megazord is also capable of blowing mist from its hands, which acts as a weapon.
When Lord Zedd came to Earth, he created Pirantishead, who quickly used his powers to take control of the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord and the Dragonzord while freezing the other Dinozords in time. Zordon and Alpha 5 began work on the creation of the Thunderzords. By using the Dinozords as templates, they would use the "power of thunder" to transform the Dinozords into the Thunderzords. The Rangers first had to reclaim their Dinozords from Pirantishead, which they did after a struggle using a signal blocker. Although Zedd destroyed them bh using his lightning to send them into lava, Zordon recovered part of them and was able to create the Thunderzords. They combined into the Thunder Megazord which overwhelmed giant Pirantishead until he tied them up with his nunchucks and shocked them. However, the Rangers turned the tide by electrocuting him through the wires, destroying the chain and knocking down the monster before destroying him with the Thunder Saber.
The Thunder Megazord and the Dragonzord were summoned to fight Primator after he grew. After the Dragonzord smashed his lance, Primator blasted the duo but it had no effect on either and was slain by the Thunder Saber. This was apparently a surprise attack because the monster was very physically strong.
The Red Dragon Thunderzord arrived to fight the Saliguana monster but was blasted back by his fire so the other Zords formed the Thunderzord Assault Team which dodged the flames and they formed the Megazord. Now fuming, Saliguana tied up the Thunder Megazord with his tongue but it was cut by the Thunder Saber and then slain by said weapon despite arrogantly claiming that it couldn't kill him.
After Jason forced Robogoat to lose all of the captured Rangers, Zedd made him grow so they summoned the Thunder Megazord. Robogoat managed to knock it back with it's Robo Staff but the Thunder Saber destroyed it so Robogoat took down the formation with his lightning. However, it quickly came back online and killed the monster with it's Thunder Sabre.
After being summoned, the Thunder Megazord had a punching match with the Octophantom monster which the monster won due to his strength and "nya-nya-nya-nya-nya'd" it. However,he was thrown down when the Megazord unleashed an energy tornado and was then slain by the Thunder Saber.
After rescuing Tommy, the Rangers summoned thier Thunderzords against the Stag Beetle but the monster decimated it with his pincers, unleashing a devastating kick on the formation. It quickly recovered though and punched him down before using the Thunder Saber to cut off his pincers and then destroy Stag Beetle.
After Nimrod blasted all five Rangers down, they summoned the Thunder Megazord to kill her but it was low on power due to the Command Center having it's power rerouted for the creation of the new White Ranger. Nimrod summoned her henchwomen named AC and DC and thier combined attack caused massive damage and taking it out of action, forcing the Rangers to retreat.After Tommy was granted the powers of the White Ranger, the White Tigerzord was created and fought the trio.
The Thunder Megazord and the White Tigerzord battled against Rito Revolto shortly after he joined Rita and Zedd on the Moon. Although they appeared to be winning, the duel was really an elaborate trap. From the Moon, Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa used their powers to make Fighting Flea, Lizzinator, Octophantom, and Stag Beetle into giants, overwhelming the Power Rangers and resulting in their destruction. Zordon unfortunately commented that he can't bring the Thunderzords back.
After receiving their Zeo powers from the Zeo Crystal, the Rangers gained new zords. Billy makes an offhand comment about recycling parts of "old Zords"; however it is unclear whether this refers to MMPR-era Zords like the Thunderzords or unused components used to construct the Zeo Zords, which were "old" compared to the newly-acquired Super Zeo Zords.
Mastodon Lion Thunderzord
- "Mastodon Lion Thunderzord Power!"
- ―Zack / Adam summoning the Lion Thunderzord[src]
The Mastodon was the template to create the more powerful Lion Thunderzord. The Zord was piloted by Zack Taylor and later Adam Park. Zordon explained that the Lion had "courage and strength". It did not share the same abilities as the Mastodon, but it was given greater armor and defense.
The Lion Thunderzord was part of the Thunderzord Assault Team, making up the forward component of the chariot. The Lion would serve as the arms, the torso, and helmet for the Thunder Megazord. Also, the Lion could combine with the other Thunderzords and the White Tigerzord to make the Mega Tigerzord, the Lion forming the shoulder pads and back.
Pterodactyl Firebird Thunderzord
- "Pterodactyl Firebird Thunderzord Power!"
- ―Kimberly summoning the Firebird Thunderzord[src]
The Firebird Thunderzord is the Pink Mighty Morphin Ranger's second Zord. It was created from the Pterodactyl Dinozord, utilizing the former Zord as a template. The Pterodactyl Dinozord would be struck by a pink lightning bolt, transforming it into the Firebird.
On its own, the Firebird was capable of creating an energy tornado and sending it towards monsters.
The Firebird is one of the five components to the Thunder Megazord. When the Zord is formed, the Firebird would wrap itself around the Red Dragon Thunderzord's waist, forming the belt. Along with the rest of the Thunderzord Assault Team, it could also combine with the White Tigerzord to form the Mega Tigerzord. The Firebird would form a claw on the White Tigerzord's right arm, also serving as the Mega Tigerzord's common finishing move as it was launched from the arm and charged with energy. As part of the Thunderzord Assault Team, it sits on a pedestal behind the Red Dragon, wings outstretched. The Assault Team could then also form the top portion of the Thunder Ultrazord.
The Firebird was summoned and used as part of the Mega Tigerzord without Pink Ranger on one occasion.
Triceratops Unicorn Thunderzord
- "Triceratops Unicorn Thunderzord Power!"
- ―Billy summoning the Unicorn Thunderzord[src]
The Triceratops was the template to create the more powerful Unicorn Thunderzord. Piloted by Billy Cranston, it could launch large boulders at foes. It formed the right leg of the Thunder Megazord and Mega Tigerzord, and sat on the right side of the Assault Team. Its design is like that of a moving cart with a single front appendage that allows it to move.
Sabertooth Tiger Griffin Thunderzord
- "Sabertooth Tiger Griffin Thunderzord Power!"
- ―Trini / Aisha summoning the Griffin Thunderzord[src]
The Sabertooth Tiger Dinozord was the template to create the more powerful Griffin Thunderzord. Piloted by Trini Kwan and Aisha Campbell, it could project fireballs when used in combat on its own. It formed the left leg of both the Thunder Megazord and the Mega Tigerzord, and sat on the left side of the Assault Team. Like the Unicorn Thunderzord, its design is like that of a moving cart with a single front appendage that allows it to move.
Tyrannosaurus Red Dragon Thunderzord
- "Tyrannosaurus Red Dragon Thunderzord Power!"
- ―Jason / Rocky summoning the Red Dragon Thunderzord[src]
The Red Dragon was the first Zord in the series to possess two battle modes: Dragon and Warrior. In Dragon mode, it could breathe flame and attack with its claws mid-flight.In Warrior mode, it would fight opponents by hand-to-hand combat or by wielding its staff that he could spin at high speeds to attack. It could also stand on the Thunderzord Assault Team's chariot and to ride the Tigerzord while it is in Tiger Mode. It could also merge with the other Thunderzords to form the Thunder Megazord, serving as the main portion of the Megazord.
Similar to the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord, the Red Dragon is capable of fighting and defeating a monster on its own. Its wrists are capable of spinning at high speeds, allowing it to use its staff like helicopter blades as a finisher either on the ground Lipsyncher.or while diving from the Thunderzord Assault Team chariot . The diving finisher is done once on
Thunderzord Assault Team
- See also: Heavenly Chi Palace
The Thunderzords could combine to form the Thunderzord Assault Team. The Lion, Unicorn, Griffin, and Firebird would combine into an airborne chariot, which the Red Dragon would ride in his warrior mode.
The Red Dragon Thunderzord is the core of the Thunder Megazord, with the other four Zords acting as armor. The Unicorn and Griffin Thunderzords serve as the boots, the Firebird Thunderzord serves as the fauld, and the Lion Thunderzord serves as the cuirass and helmet of the Thunder Megazord.
- The Lion, Griffin, and Unicorn Thunderzords could combine with Tigerzord to form the Mega Tigerzord, with the Firebird Thunderzord as its projectile shield.
- Tne Red Dragon Warrior Mode, The Thunderzord Assault Team, and the White Tigerzord can combine with Tor the Shuttlezord to form the Thunder Ultrazord.
PLEX designed the Thunder Megazord. Its design is based on ancient Chinese soldier armor, mostly mountain-pattern armor (Chinese: 山文铠; pinyin: shānwénkǎi). Like the armor, the silhouette of the Thunder Megazord is shaped like the Chinese character for the word "mountain" (山). The Red Dragon Thunderzord is designed like the legendary Monkey King, adorned with 'Hui' or rectilinear spirals, while the Thunderzord Assault Team are designed like stalwart, immovable palace statues. The Lion Thunderzord in particular is modeled after the statue of an Imperial guardian lion, the type that is found in Chinese temples, museums, and government offices, amongst other places. The Unicorn Thunderzord is incorrectly named, as its motif is based off of the winged horse Pegasus, as is the Griffin Thunderzord, which is a Qilin.
- The Thunder Megazord is the first of several occurrences:
- First Megazord to not have a super move (ie the original Megazord's Cranial Laser).
- First Megazord that doesn't fully combine with the 6th Rangers' Zord (ie the Mega Dragonzord is the Megazord wearing the Dragonzord like a helmet whereas the Red Dragon Thunderzord is not part of the Mega Tigerzord).
- First Megazord to have the cockpit in an area other than the head (the center of it's chest in this case).
- First Megazord to have the "Ability to Morph" theme song play during it's battles although this was retired by the time of Zeo. All previous Megazords featured the actual theme song as the fight music.
- Though normally referred to as the "Thunder Megazord", the original five Rangers on occasion referred to it as the "Mega Thunderzord". In "The Mutiny: Part 3", Zordon himself referred to it as the "Mega Thunderzord", even though he called it the "Thunder Megazord" in the previous episode when introducing the new Zords to the Rangers.
- The reason that the Lion Thunderzord did not display any superpowers is because it's attack in Dairanger was an illusion based attack involving the blatantly Japanese main villain who would later be adapted into Mondo the Magician and this was used only once more, summoning a high-speed rail against Heatwave Hood (Flame Head's counterpart).
- Because of the intense level of splicing footage between Zyuranger, Zyu2 and Dairanger footage, the Thunderzords rarely fought individually, with the summoning of the Zords quickly followed by a combination sequence except during the fight against Lipsyncher.
- Individual cockpits for the Thunderzords were never shown, because of the need to construct new cockpit sets to showcase the Zyuranger costumes instead of the Dairanger costumes. Indivdual zord cockpit sets were never made, only the Thunder Megazord received a newly constructed set. Ratings were on the gradual decline and Saban had the budget slashed by FOX Kids so, seeing as they only fought individually once, they decided not to not create American made cockpits and just edit around the Lipsyncher fight to make it quicker so that the lack of cockpits would be less noticeable.
- This would however be a problem in episodes such as "Rangers Back in Time" when there was a shot of Rocky in his Zord talking to Photomare but it was 1. clearly the Thunder Megazord cockpit in spite of that coming from the Lion Thunderzord's chestplate and 2. Kimberly's shoulder can be seen on his left in spite of them cropping it to remove her and Adam.
- In the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Live stage show, stock footage of the Dinozord cockpits were used to represent the Rangers piloting the Thunderzords.
- According to Jeff Pruitt in the comment section of his Zyu2 videos on YouTube, all the footage of the Thunder Megazord's cockpit was all filmed in one day since it was able to be reused interchangeably reusable throughout the series.
- The Thunderzords were nearly always summoned by their respective Rangers calling their Dinozord name, then the Thunderzord name, followed by a shot of the Dinozord transforming into the Thunderzord. However, when Zordon introduced the Zords to the Rangers he only called them by their Thunderzord designation. Jason also refers to his Zord as the only the Red Dragon in "The Power Transfer". In the second part of that episode, Zordon again does not use the Dinozord names when explaining the Zords to Rocky, Adam, and Aisha later in the second part of that episode.
- The Thunderzords were summoned without the Dinozord transformation in the following episodes: "White Light: Part II", "The Power Transfer: Part I", "Best Man for the Job" and "Wild West Rangers: Part II".
- The Thunder Megazord's spear never appeared in American footage as its only Dairanger appearance was in the film, which was not utilised for Power Rangers. The reason for it going unused is unclear, since the footage wasn't unusable, but many theorise that the movie cost more than Saban could afford to pay at the time.
- It does appear in toy form and in the comics.
- In some footage of the Red Dragon Thunderzord in dragon mode, RyuuRanger can be seen on top of the head of the Zord. This is most evident when it was being blasted by Pipebrain.
- During many of the Megazord formations, the Unicorn Thunderzord's and Griffin Thunderzord's sounds are swapped, it's unknown if this was a production error.
- The toyline referred to the combination of the Red Dragon Warrior Mode and the Thunderzord Assault Team as "Thunder Megazord Attack Mode," but this term was not used in the series.
- Bandai toys were used to film the Dinozord to Thunderzord transformation sequences, which explains why Lion Thunderzord was decorated with thunderbolts and lost some green coloration. Rear legs were also added to the Zord; these limbs were absent from its Dairanger counterpart.
- To drive the point that the Lion Thunderzord was Black Ranger's zord, the Lion Thunderzord's head was repainted black in the American toy release instead of green. The Lion Thunderzord originated as the Mythical Chi Beast Star-Shishi in Gosei Sentai Dairanger. This was the mecha of ShishiRanger who was green, hence why the Zord has green accents and green lightning appears in front of it in the Thunder Megazord's transformation sequence.
- In the comics, the Thunderzord's circular chest-piece has three lines on it lined on like the Saban logo at the time of release. The comics also saw the Thunderzords returning after their destruction as the vehicles of the Dark Rangers.
- In the Boom! Studios comics, part of the Thunder Megazord were used to build Typhonis, Goldar's new war zord. While Thunder Megazord was scrapped without caring for zord components, Firebird Thunderzord was small enough to be operational as a whole; the bird was detached from Typhonis and flight again. The All-New Power Rangers were able to take control of Typhonis and used it to help the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from being destroyed by Serpentera.
- It's a possibility that due to the reconstruction of the Dinozords in Power Rangers Beast Morphers that the Thunderzords can still be used.
Legendary Ranger Devices
The Thunder Megazord has seen several deluxe releases, action figures, collectible figures and even remote-control versions.
- Gosei Gattai Dairen'oh - Super Sentai counterpart in Dairanger. See comparison page.
- Mythical Chi Beast RyuseiOh - Super Sentai counterpart in Dairanger. See comparison page.