|This article is about a/an series entry (the 5th) in the Super Sentai series.|
Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan (太陽戦隊サンバルカン Taiyō Sentai San Barukan, translated into English as Solar Squadron Sun Vulcan) is Toei's fifth entry to its Super Sentai series. It was originally broadcast from February 7, 1981-January 30, 1982 and is the only sentai to serve as a direct sequel to the one prior, Denshi Sentai Denziman. It was Toei’s last series with a Marvel copyright, but again with no Marvel involvement in the production. The theme was air, land, and sea.
The average ratings of the series was 12.5%.
At the time it aired, Denziman was an extremely popular series and Toei was stumped trying to figure out ways to build on it. At first Toei just thought of extending Denziman into a second year ala Gorenger, but that didn't work out for whatever reasons. Toei then tried to go for making a sequel and calling the show "Plasaman" (which was basically just going to be the Denzimen with new suits), but that name was trademarked, so they finally settled on Sun Vulcan. The Denzimen were originally supposed to appear for a five episode arc, but it was ultimately to get everyone back. The closest to a crossover the series had was the two-parter story of The ESPer and Himiko!, which featured the Sun Vulcan team defending the lineage of those whose origins were from planet Denzi.
Aside from the Denziman connection, this season is notable for breaking many Sentai traditions and pushing the franchise forwards in many ways. This was the first Sentai to be a three-person team, set up to go along the concepts of "air/land/water" to represent the three elements of planet Earth while setting a precedence of a team that is only three members (even though this technically was the only three-man Sentai team, with many others starting as three but growing larger). In addition, it was the first (and currently only) Sentai to have an all-male team. This was also the first Sentai to use representation of the team by animals, with the members represented by the eagle, shark and a panther. It had the first character who was truly emphasized in using a sword in combat instead of merely a weapon, becoming a set-up for many teams beyond this. It also became notable as the first and only team to permanently replace the "Red" member of the team, due to the original actor returning to his full time career, thus being written out and replaced by another. (while one other team has had a more radical replacement, it was temporary) And it was the first Sentai where the giant robot outsold the transport vehicle, cementing it as Sentai's main selling point.
The threat of the Machine Empire Black Magma causes the EPDS (Earth Peace Defense Squad) to decide to establish the Solar Squadron at a summit. From the EPDS's air force, navy, and rangers, Commander Arashiyama assembles three specialists to become Sun Vulcan. Harsh training begins. Learning of this, Black Magma attacks the EPDS base, but the Sun Vulcan debuts in time to save it. Hell Saturn prays to the Black Solar God and is rewarded with a revived Queen Hedrian, now a cyborg with a mechanical heart and a metallic afro. But plot after plot of Black Magma, even with Hedrian's aid, fails. Following the death of 01, Amazon Killer, a Vader, arrives from space, destroying the Sun Vulcan Base. A new Vulcan Base is built.
The original Vul-Eagle, Ryuusuke Oowashi, is replaced by a friend and master of the sword, Takayuki Hiba (who first appeared on episode 23). The team successfully defends the psychic descendant of the Denzi, the nun Himiko, from Black Magma. Shortly after this, Inazuma Ginga shows up. Sun Vulcan devises the New Vulcan Ball, but their attacks are no use against Inazuma Ginga until he becomes the gigantic Inazuma Monger. Finally, the trio and their commander go to the North Pole to rescue Arashiyama Misa, and succeed not only in doing so (despite a fake Misa to confuse them), but also in defeating the Omnipotent God, the true leader of Black Magma, by feigning surrender and striking when it lowers its guard.
|VulEagle||Ryuusuke Oowashi ► Takayuki Hiba||Ryūsuke Kawasaki ► Takayuki Godai|
|VulShark||Kin'ya Samejima||Kin'ya Sugi|
|VulPanther||Asao Hyou||Asao Kobayashi|
|White Rose Mask||Misa Arashiyama|
Machine Empire Black Magma
- The Omnipotent God (5-50)
- Führer Hell Saturn (1-47, 49 & 50)
- Zero Girls (1-50)
- Queen Hedrian (4-50)
- Amazon Killer (23-50)
- Inazuma Ginga (45-49)
- Dark Q (1-22)
- Hell Fighters
- Black Magma Monsters
- Grub Monger (1)
- Coela Monger (2)
- Naumann Monger (3)
- Bird Monger (4)
- Devil Monger (5)
- Machine Monger (6)
- Baseball Monger (7)
- Vision Monger (8)
- Scorpion Monger (9)
- Spider Monger (10)
- Fern Monger (11)
- Diamond Monger (12)
- Iron Monger (13)
- Armadillo Monger (14)
- Time Monger (15)
- Vaulting Box Monger (16)
- Gas Monger (17)
- Camera Monger (18)
- Toad Monger (19)
- Wrestler Monger (20)
- Sea Anemone Monger (21)
- Horseshoe Crab Monger (22)
- Giant Octopus Monger (23)
- Water Bug Monger (24)
- Fireworks Monger (Movie)
- Sea Snake Monger (25)
- Hungry Monger (26)
- Alien Monger (27)
- Crystal Monger (28)
- Rose Monger (Red Rose Fencer) (29)
- Buffalo Monger (30)
- Thunder Monger (31)
- Flat Monger (32)
- Crab Monger (33)
- Curse Monger (34)
- Cockroach Monger (35)
- Satan Monger (36 & 37)
- Totem Pole Monger (38)
- Centipede Monger (39)
- Bat Monger (40)
- Dragon Monger (42)
- Mechanic Monger (43)
- Flying Squirrel Monger (44)
- Boxer Monger (45)
- Deathtrap Monger (46)
- Fighter Monger (47)
- Mummy Monger (48)
- Lightning Monger (49)
|VulPanther (evil)||Teakettle Monger (41)|
- King Magmar (50)
- Vulcan Ball
- New Vulcan Ball
- Land Vulcan (jeep) ◆
- Shark Machine (cycle) ◆
- Panther Machine (cycle) ◆
- Legend:◆ piloted mecha, ✶ team-piloted mecha, ➲ carrier mecha
- Ep. 1: The Machine Empire of the North Pole (北極の機械帝国 Hokkyoku no Kikai Teikoko)
- Ep. 2: The Day Mankind is Extinguished (人類が消滅する日 Jinrui ga Shōmetsu Suru Hi)
- Ep. 3: The Iron Claw That Challenges Japan (日本に挑む鉄の爪 Nihon ni Idomu Tetsu no Tsume)
- Ep. 4: The Boy Detective and the Spy (少年探偵とスパイ Shōnen Tantei to Supai)
- Ep. 5: The Wicked Sun God (邪悪な太陽神 Jaaku na Taiyōshin)
- Ep. 6: The House Dominated by Machines (機械の支配する家 Kikai no Shihai Suru Uchi)
- Ep. 7: The Beastly Batter and the Tears (野獣バッターと涙 Yajū Battā Namida)
- Ep. 8: The Handball Song Sung by Father (父が歌う手まり唄 Chichi ga Utau Temameri Uta)
- Ep. 9: Papa Became a Monster (怪物になったパパ Kaibutsu ni Natta Papa)
- Ep. 10: Ambush Poison Spider Mansion (待ちぶせ毒ぐも館 Machibuse Doku Kumo Kan)
- Ep. 11: The Mecha Girl of Sadness (哀しみのメカ少女 Kanashimi no Meka Shōjo)
- Ep. 12: The Queen Who Eats Diamonds (ダイヤを食う女王 Daiya o Kū Joō)
- Ep. 13: The Living Black Ball (生命を持つ黒い玉 Seimei o Motsu Kuroi Tama)
- Ep. 14: The Day the Earth Surrenders (地球が降伏する日 Chikyū ga Kōbuku Suru Hi)
- Ep. 15: The Queen's Greed Dance (女王の欲ばり踊り Joō no Yokubari Odori)
- Ep. 16: A Demon Runs the Schoolyard (悪魔が校庭を走る Akuma ga Kōtei o Hashiru)
- Ep. 17: Ghost Story! The Valley of Goblins (怪談! お化けの谷 Kaidan! Obake no Tani)
- Ep. 18: The Surprising Superstars (びっくり大スター Bikkuri Dai Sutā)
- Ep. 19: The Dangerous Perfect Score Boy (危険な100点少年 Kiken na Hyakuten Shōnen)
- Ep. 20: The Machine Wrestler's Trap (機械レスラーの罠 Kikai Resurā no Wana)
- Ep. 21: Love Brought by the Sea Breeze (潮風がはこぶ愛 Shiokaze ga Hakobu Ai)
- Ep. 22: Tokyo's Big Panic! (東京大パニック! Tōkyō Dai Panikku)
- Ep. 23: The Female Commander of Galaxy Haunts (銀河魔境の女隊長 Ginga Makkyū no Onna Taichō)
- Ep. 24: Lake Hamana's Nessie (浜名湖のネッシー Hamanako no Nesshī)
- Ep. 25: The Cave of the Shocking Sea Serpent (ドッキリ海蛇の穴 Dokkiri Umihebi no Ana)
- Ep. 26: Starving Filling Cooking (ハラペコ満腹料理 Harapeko Manpuku Ryōri)
- Ep. 27: A Midsummer Night's Great Fear (真夏の夜の大恐怖 Manatsu no Yoru no Dai Kyōfu)
- Ep. 28: Is Sukehachi Friend or Foe? (助八は敵か味方か Suke Hachi wa Teki ka Mikata ka)
- Ep. 29: Pretty Swordsman, White Rose Mask (美剣士白バラ仮面 Bikenshi Shiro Bara Kamen)
- Ep. 30: The Greatly Rampaging Giant Monster of Dreams (大暴れ夢の大怪獣 Dai Abare Yume no Daikaijū)
- Ep. 31: The Great Tokyo Numbing Ondo (大東京シビレ音頭 Dai Tōkyō Shibire Ondo)
- Ep. 32: Capture the Face-Thief (顔泥棒を逮捕せよ Kao Dorobō o Taima Seyo)
- Ep. 33: The Hateful, Stylish Thief (憎いおしゃれ泥棒 Nikui Oshare Dorobō)
- Ep. 34: The Cursed Dead (呪われた亡霊た Norowareta Hōreitachi)
- Ep. 35: Friends!? La Cucaracha (友達!? クカラッチャ Tomodachi!? Kukaratcha)
- Ep. 36: The ESPer (エスパー Esupā)
- Ep. 37: Himiko! (日見子よ Himiko yo)
- Ep. 38: Asao Hyou's Dad-Lord (豹朝夫のおやじ殿 Hyō Asao no Oyaji Dono)
- Ep. 39: The Tomboy that Falls on Her Rear (尻もちおてんば娘 Shirimochi Otenba Musume)
- Ep. 40: The Best Friend Assassination Angel (なかよし暗殺天使 Nakayoshi Ansatsu Tenshi)
- Ep. 41: The Quick-Changing Doronpa Tanuki (七化けドロンパ狸 Shichi Bakeru Doronpa Tanuki)
- Ep. 42: The Oversleeping Boy's Daydream (寝坊少年の白昼夢 Nebō Shōnen no Hakuchūmu)
- Ep. 43: You Can Be a Genius Too (君も天才になれる Kimi mo Tensai ni Nareru)
- Ep. 44: The Great Escape - Heli Explosion (大脱走・ヘリ爆破 Dai Dassō - Heri Bakuha)
- Ep. 45: The Galaxy's Invincible Electric Man (銀河無敵の電気男 Ginga Muteki no Denki Otoko)
- Ep. 46: The Female Commander's (Secret) Plan (女隊長の（秘）作戦 Onna Taichō no (Hi) Sakusen)
- Ep. 47: The Machine Empire's Rebellion (機械帝国の反乱 Kikai Teikoku no Hanran)
- Ep. 48: The Stolen Giant Carrier (奪われた巨大空母 Ubawareta Kyodai Kūbo)
- Ep. 49: The Queen's Last Appirition Art (女王最期の妖魔術 Joō Saigo no Yōma Jutsu)
- Final Ep.: Shine, North Pole Aurora (輝け北極オーロラ Kagayake Hokkyoku Ōrora)
- Opening theme
- "Taiyō Sentai Sun Vulcan" (太陽戦隊サンバルカン)
- Ending themes
- "Wakasa Wa Plasma" (若さはプラズマ "Youth is Plasma)
- "1 Tasu 2 Tasu Sun Vulcan" (1たす2たすサンバルカン "1 Plus 2 Equals Sun Vulcan")
- Insert themes
- "Tatakai No Theme" (たたかいのテーマ "Fighting Theme")
- "Kimi Wa Panther" (君はパンサー "You are a Panther")
- "Kagayake! Sun Vulcan" (輝け!サンバルカン "Shine! Sun Vulcan")
- "Super Women Zero Girls" (スーパーウーマンゼロガールズ)
- "Fight! Sun Vulcan Robo" (ファイト!サンバルカンロボ)
- Mecha theme for Taiyou Gattai Sun Vulcan Robo
- "Yume No Tsubasa Wo" (夢の翼を "Your Dream Wings")
- "Umi ga Yonde Iru" (海が呼んでいる "The Sea is Calling")
- "Taiyō March" (太陽マーチ "Solar March")
- "Bokura No Sun Vulcan" (ぼくらのサンバルカン "Our Sun Vulcan")
- "Ashita ga Aru sa" (あしたがあるさ "Tomorrow Will Come")
- Tatakau Nakama Sun Vulcan (戦う仲間サンバルカン "The Fighting Friends, Sun Vulcan")
- Ryuusuke Oowashi (大鷲 龍介 Ōwashi Ryūsuke): Ryūsuke Kawasaki (川崎 龍介 Kawasaki Ryūsuke)
- Kin'ya Samejima (鮫島 欣也 Samejima Kin'ya): Kin'ya Sugi (杉 欣也 Sugi Kin'ya)
- Asao Hyou (豹 朝夫 Hyō Asao): Asao Kobayashi (小林 朝夫 Kobayashi Asao)
- Daizaburo Arashiyama (嵐山大三郎 Arashiyama Daizaburō): Shin Kishida (岸田 森 Kishida Shin)
- Misa Arashiyama (嵐山美佐 Arashiyama): Yumi Nemoto (根本 由美 Nemoto Yumi)
- Sukehachi Yazawa (矢沢助八 Yazawa Sukehachi): Takao Yamada (山田隆夫 Yamada Takao)
- Jiro Sakai (坂井次郎 Sakai Jirō): Hiroki Takeda (武田弘樹 Takeda Hiroki)
- Masao Akino (秋野正男 Akino Masao): Takumi Ito (伊藤巧美 Itō Takumi)
- Mari Ogawa (小川まり Ogawa Mari): Yumi Yamaguchi (山口由美 Yamaguchi Yumi)
- Emi Matsuda (松田エミ Matsuda Emi): Yukiko Murao (村尾由紀子 Murao Yukiko)
- Rumi Matsuda (松田ルミ Matsuda Rumi): Kaori Tomioka (富岡香織 Tomioka Kaori)
- CC (シーシー Shīshī, Voice): Kotoe Taichi (太地琴恵 Taichi Kotoe)
- Führer Hell Saturn (ヘルサターン総統 Heru Satān Sōtō, Voice): Shōzō Iizuka (飯塚 昭三 Iizuka Shōzō)
- Black Sun God (黒い太陽神 Kuroi Taiyōshin, Voice): Teiji Ōmiya (大宮 悌二 Ōmiya Teiji)
- Queen Hedrian (ヘドリアン女王 Hedorian Joō): Machiko Soga (曽我 町子 Soga Machiko)
- Zero One: Takako Kitagawa (北河多香子 Kitagawa Takako)
- Zero Two: Mariko Higashi (東まり子 Higashi Mariko)
- Zero Three: Yuki Udagawa (宇田川由紀 Udagawa Yuki)
- Zero Four: Toshiko Takashima (高島敏子 Takashima Toshiko, 1-4), Kyoko Hiro (広 京子 Hiro Kyōko, 5-50)
- Amazon Killer (アマゾンキラー Amazon Kirā): Yukie Kagawa (賀川ゆき絵 Kagawa Yukie)
- Inazuma Ginga (イナズマギンガー Inazuma Gingā, Voice): Takeshi Watabe (渡部 猛 Watabe Takeshi)
- Sun Vulcan Robo (サンバルカンロボ San Barukan Robo, Voice): Eiji Kanie (蟹江 栄司 Kanie Eiji)
- The Omnipotent God (全能の神 Zennō no Kami, Voice): Hidekatsu Shibata (柴田 秀勝 Shibata Hidekatsu)
- This series introduces the following firsts in Super Sentai:
- The first to have a core team of less than 5 (3), followed by Abaranger (4).
- It is tied with Go-Busters in having the smallest core team.
- The first without a Green/Black or Pink Ranger, followed by Gekiranger and Go-Busters.
- The first where the team each possess control over an element.
- The first to have a combining Robo, Sun Vulcan Robo.
- The first and only without female ranger.
- The first to have a core team of less than 5 (3), followed by Abaranger (4).
- This series has the following quirks that makes it unique among other Sentai Series:
- The only one to be a direct sequel to the previous series (Denziman).
- The only one where the core team is all-male, though at the time of this series, the three colors of Red, Blue and Yellow were always male whenever used. Because of the massive negative outpouring of a team without a female member, every season starting from Sun Vulcan's successor would have one after this.
- The only season where the Rangers have the same given names as the actors playing them.
- Sun Vulcan is the first Sentai since Gorenger to use the "V" design on the team's chests. This is appropriate since it is the first "Anniversary" team (i.e. every 5th team). However, at the time it was made, Sun Vulcan was the 3rd Super Sentai series as Gorenger and JAKQ were not considered as Super Sentai until years later, which made the 3 person team ironic.
- Ryusuke Oowashi (the original VulEagle) was written off the script because his actor was a singer and had to leave to make a new record.
- While the title does not suggest any of the traditional Sentai names, it actually is based on a pun that makes it work: the Japanese pronunciation for "Sun" is "San", which is the same as the Japanese word for "Three"; with this the three-man team of Sentai, the pun works perfectly, akin to the usage of "Go" in Sentai names such as Gorenger, & GoGoFive.
- The villains in this series were called the Machine Empire Black Magma. They will share most of their name with the Machine Empire Baranoia and the Machine Empire, the villains of Choriki Sentai Ohranger and its adaptation Power Rangers Zeo, respectively.
- Sun Vulcan holds a TV show rating of 12.5% making it the third highest rated Sentai show, only behind Denziman and Gorenger. 
- This series was originally going to be called Plasmaman, and would have featured the Denzimen making cameos.
- VulEagle mysteriously appears on one of the Power Rangers Action Card Game Series 3 cards behind Megaforce Red.
- This is the first season to focus on Earth, Air, and Water followed by Liveman, Gaoranger, Hurricanger and Zyuohger.
- The Late Marvel Comics head creator Stan Lee said that he was a fan of Sun Vulcan and planned to adapt it and Toei's Spiderman series for American Audiences at one point.
- Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan at super-sentai.net
- Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan at Wikipedia
- Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan at Japanese Wikipedia
|Gorenger • J.A.K.Q. • Battle Fever J • Denziman • Sun Vulcan • Goggle V • Dynaman • Bioman • Changeman • Flashman • Maskman • Liveman • Turboranger • Fiveman • Jetman • Zyuranger • Dairanger • Kakuranger • Ohranger • Carranger • Megaranger • Gingaman • GoGo-V • Timeranger • Gaoranger • Hurricaneger • Abaranger • Dekaranger • Magiranger • Boukenger • Gekiranger • Go-Onger • Shinkenger • Goseiger • Gokaiger • Go-Busters • Kyoryuger • ToQger • Ninninger • Zyuohger • Kyuranger • Lupinranger VS Patranger • Ryusoulger|
|View • Talk • Edit|