|This article is about a/an monster in Power Rangers Super Samurai.|
- "Ranger troubles? I'll get rid of those monochromatic pests! Permanently! The name's Switchbeast. I work for a different master in the Darkness, Madness, and Mystery game. He prefers to remain anonymous, I'm sure you understand. My boss has instructed you to help you out with your little Power Ranger problem."
- ―Switchbeast's first words when showing up on Xandred's Junk and introducing himself and explaining his presence after Xandred demanded to know who he was.[src]
- "Ready for the big switch?"
- ―Switchbeast when turning into a Mega-Monster.[src]
Switchbeast was sent as a herald for Serrator. He appeared on Master Xandred’s ship and told Xandred and Octoroo that he was sent by his master, whom he did not name. Xandred was pleased to hear of that and told Switchbeast to go on a rampage in the city and make people as miserable as possible to make the Sanzu River rise and flood. Switchbeast went into the city and conveniently arrived at a flea market, switching the souls of victims with various objects lying around. Before the Rangers could fight him, he had swapped the souls of Antonio, Spike and Bulk with that of a fish, newspaper and soda can respectively.
The Rangers tried to fight him but were quickly overwhelmed, with Switchbeast swapping the souls of Jayden, Kevin and Mia to that of a garden gnome, ballerina music box and fan respectively. He tried to destroy the gnome that housed Jayden's soul, but was stopped by Mike. He was then forced to retreat as he had begun to dry out.
When he returned later on, he switched more people's bodies before he was confronted by the remaining two Rangers. Mike concocted a plan in which he would he would let Switchbeast swap his soul. He tried to do so with a mailbox, but Emily intercepted the other tentacle and jabbed it into himself, causing Mike and Switchbeast to change into each other respectively. Switchbeast then threatened to slit his new body's throat but before he could do so, Mike swapped his soul with that of a soccer ball, allowing Emily to mess around with him. After a short torment, Switchbeast quickly gave in and attacked the golden chain on his body, reverting everyone back to normal. Mike used the Black Box to morph into Super Samurai Mode and destroy him with the Super Forest Vortex.
Switchbeast then turned into a Mega-Monster so Mike, using the Black Box again in conjunction with the Samurai Union Disc, was able to summon the Claw Armor Megazord with Emily. The monster tried to take them down with his Switch Blasts but these were deflected and the Megazord fired from the emblems on its back of its skirt-like armored plate, disarming him. Mike and Emily then powered up the katanas and Switchbeast was destroyed by the Double Katana Strike.
While everyone was returned to normal, Switchbeast ended up briefly giving Antonio post-traumatic stress disorder after the latter was nearly eaten by a stray cat that had wandered into the Shiba House.
Switchbeast was a sadistic, mean, cunning and devious Nighlok, who will not stop to enhance Sanzu River with fears of people and destroy the Power Rangers. He was arrogant and self-confident in his own abilities, but after being subjected to his own power, quickly became compliant to spare himself from the suffering.
Powers and Abilities
- Body Switching: Switchbeast can fire the hooked tentacles on his wrists into the chests of humans and swap their souls with inanimate objects. The bodies of the people would then take on the same position as that object. The trapped soul(s) can only communicate with each other; those unaffected could not hear or see them. If the object with the trapped soul was destroyed, the person would be essentially killed; the same effect would likely apply if the body was destroyed instead.
- Gap Teleportation: Like all other Nighlok, Switchbeast can teleport through gaps.
- Switch Blast: Switchbeast's signature attack where he can fire yellow fireballs from the cat head-mouth on his chest at his enemies. This was powerful enough to force all four Rangers to stop charging when he switched Jayden's body and sent Mia and Kevin flying through a wall with one hit. However, when giant, this same attack was futile since the Claw Armor Megazord just slashed away the attacks with its katanas.
- Reviving and Enlarging: Like all other Nighloks, Switchbeast can revive himself and grow giant at will.
- Strength: Switchbeast is a very strong monster, being able to take both Emily and Mike down with one swing of his baton and send Mia and Kevin flying with one shove of his baton.
- Armor: Being knight-themed, Switchbeast has heavily-enforced armor that allowed him to take multiple slashes from Mike's Super Spin Sword as well as the Claw Armor Megazord's Symbol Power Blast and barely get a scratch.
- Weapon Proficiency: Switchbeast is a master with his baton, overwhelming Mike and Emily easily in spite of both fighting him at once. He later took on all four Rangers at once (minus Jayden and Antonio who had been switched) and easily overwhelmed them.
- Agility: Switchbeast is a very agile Nighlok, being able to duck Emily's Earth Slicer seconds after it was thrown with only an audio warning from Emily and being able to block a jump slash from Jayden (who came from behind) with a half second's notice.
- Sanzu River Reliance: Much like all other Nighloks, he must recharge in the Sanzu River or he will dry out.
- Vulnerability to Body Switching: Switchbeast is prone to his own body swapping power, which can be used against him as shown when Mike and Emily transferred him into Mike's body and a soccer ball.
- Double-Bladed Baton: Switchbeast is armed with a double-bladed baton for battle. He lost this when the Claw Armor Megazord blasted him and it was then destroyed with him.
Behind the Scenes
to be added
to be added
- Switchbeast is the first Nighlok that serves under Serrator to appear.
- Although not revealed in the episode, it is implied through Serrator's later betrayal of Xandred that his true purpose was to make a good impression so that Xandred would trust him and he would be in a prime position to seize power.
- Switcbeast is the only monster to be destroyed by the Claw Armor Megazord's Double Katana Strike since all others it destroyed were taken out by the Samurai Battle Cannon.
- It can be assumed that Mike and Emily would have resorted to that tactic had he survived this attack but he didn't.
- Ironically, his switching of Antonio's body with a fish led to the introduction of the Lightzord which saved Jayden's life from a Papyrox in the next episode and contributed towards his master's death 13 episodes later.