|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|"Puny humans! Now you shall feel the wrath of Lord Zedd!"|
|―The Stag Beetle's first words when confronting Tommy and Kimberly in Angel Grove Park.[src]|
|"Nothing like a little Green Ranger power to brighten up your day. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! I drained you of your powers. Your days as a Power Ranger are over!"|
|―The Stag Beetle after he drained Tommy's powers.[src]|
|"Didn’t you learn anything from what happened to your green friend? Now it’s your turn."|
|―The Stag Beetle when confronted by the five available Power Rangers.[src]|
|"I’m the unbeatable beetle."|
|―The Stag Beetle reacting to the Power Blaster and his final words before his initial defeat.[src]|
|"Ha ha ha! Ah ha ha!"|
|―The Stag Beetle upon being grown.[src]|
The Stag Beetle was a stag beetle monster who served as the main antagonist of the episode "The Beetle Invasion."
Lord Zedd saw that the Power Rangers were competing in a competition between the Angel Grove Youth Center and one in Stone Canyon. Wishing to exterminate every last remnant of Rita Repulsa's reign, Zedd created the Stag Beetle from a beetle poster representing the Stone Canyon Beetles outside of the Youth Center. He could drain energy of his enemies and use it against them so he was given the mission of completely draining Tommy's powers and using them to destroy the Rangers. Later on, the Stag Beetle attacked Tommy and Kimberly after some Putties ambushed them during a jog in Angel Grove Park. The duo then morphed and took out the remaining Z-Putties but the monster summoned even more which grabbed Tommy and restrained him as the Stag Beetle starts to drain his powers. Kimberly called for help and tried to help but a bunch of Z-Putties distracted her and, by the time she had defeated them by running along their heads, the Stag Beetle had drained his powers by that point. Although the other Power Rangers arrived and defeated the remaining Putties, the Stag Beetle managed to teleport back to the Moon Palace.
The Rangers regrouped at the Command Center, brainstorming ways to save Tommy's powers but Zordon revealed that they could not destroy the Stag Beetle until they recovered his powers. If they did, Tommy's powers would be destroyed with the monster. Moments later, the Stag Beetle was sent to attack Angel Grove and lure out the Power Rangers to destroy them with the stolen Green Ranger powers but the Rangers (sans Tommy who was too weak to fight) cut him off at the quarry and he was forced to fight. He mocked them relentlessly for confronting him when thier friend was crippled but they just drew thier Blade Blasters and charged. Even though he just had pincers however, he easily cut down every one of them even when Jason and Zack teamed up against him. Zack decided to attack the Stag Beetle himself but was slashed out of the air and then took a massive beating after landing, culminating in getting Zack around the waist with his pincers and throwing him away.
The Stag Beetle then fired green energy from his pincers which blasted down all five Rangers immediately so they decided to try and restrain him so jump slashed him with their Blade Blasters. However, he ducked down so they hit his shell and then threw them off at which point he unleashed a massive orange energy ball which blasted them all down with devastating force. Zedd then sent down Z-Putties to finish them off so Jason planned a distraction attack but Zack convinced him that would be idiotic so the Rangers fled to cover. They narrowly outran a multitude of explosions but found themselves cornered at the top of a cliff as the Stag Beetle closed in with his Putties. Luckily, Alpha created a special device called a "Green Energy Transducer" for Tommy to use against the Stag Beetle and he arrived right before the Stag Beetle could blast them. They ducked his massive yellow lightning blast at which point Tommy used the device to absorb the attack, regaining some of his lost power. With the monster weakened, the Rangers assembled the Power Blaster and fired, causing the monster to crackle with lightning and fall on his face before exploding.
However, the Stag Beetle wasn't finished yet and Zedd used a Growth Bomb to make him grow. The Stag Beetle caught it and planted it to the ground where it exploded and the explosion made him giant so the Rangers summoned the Thunderzords and formed the Thunder Megazord. The Stag Beetle charged and so did the Megazord but he devastated it just by wrapping his claws around it which knocked the Megazord down. As the Rangers struggled to regain control of it, the Stag Beetle decided to make them "wake up" with a powerful kick to the head. It was so strong that a second would have obliterated the Megazord, forcing the Rangers to switch the emergency power for the first time since acquiring the Thunderzords. With the power boost, the Rangers were able to bring the Thunder Megazord back online and made it get up. The monster then planned to take them down again for good but they let him close in before taking him down with a Power Punch. With the monster down, the Thunder Megazord drew the Thunder Saber and chopped off his head pincers, greatly upsetting the monster. With the monster distracted and weakened, they then destroyed the monster with the Thunder Saber, making him flip over backwards and land on his face before exploding.
Unfortunately, this was a pyrrhic victory since, although the Stag Beetle was destroyed, Tommy's powers were now weaker than ever and Zedd began preparing his endgame.
Trumpet Top summoned an illusionary Stag Beetle to wear out the Power Rangers enough that Lord Zedd would easily be able to destroy them. The Stag Beetle joined the Soccadillo and the Slippery Shark in fighting Kimberly and Trini although he was immediately downed by a gut kick from the latter. Due to not really being there however, the Stag Beetle alongside the Saliguana, the Fighting Flea, the Soccadillo, the Rhinoblaster, the Mantis, the Soccadillo and the Slippery Shark managed to "beat them" until they were worn out completely. However, Zordon saw through the plan, making the illusionary monsters cease to exist.
Later, the Stag Beetle was recreated by Finster to assist Rito Revolto alongside the Fighting Flea, the Lizzinator, and the Octophantom. This was part of a mission to ambush and destroy the Thunderzords. He was defeated early in the fight by the Thunder Megazord throwing him down but recovered after the fight and cheers with Rito and the other three monsters following the destruction of the Rangers' Zords and powers. Soon after, he is in attendance with the other monsters at Zedd and Rita's palace after destroying the Thunderzords, but is not seen again afterwards although he likely settled down peacefully afterwards.
The Stag Beetle was also among the monsters present in Rita and Zedd's army in the Vica Galaxy during the United Alliance of Evil's invasion of the universe. It is unknown if this was the one from "Ninja Quest" and he returned to help his old masters or if this was a recreation made by Finster. He is believed to have been destroyed with the army of monsters by Zordon's Energy Wave since he never made another appearance.
The Stag Beetle was a cunning, devious and ruthless monster that took great pride in destroying the Power Rangers. He was shown to be abusive and contemptuous and enjoyed abusing the Rangers but was absolutely loyal to Rita and Zedd.
Powers and Abilities
- Strength: The Stag Beetle was an immensely strong monster, making the Thunder Megazord roll with a single kick and taking down all of the Rangers with ease. When fighting Zack alone, the monster was able to grab him around the waist with his pincers and throw him with ease.
- Hard Shell: The Stag Beetle had a strong enough shell on his back to have all five Blade Blasters strike it without damaging him.
- Skilled Fighter: The Stag Beetle was easily able to overpower Tommy and later all five Rangers at once with incredible ease.
- Teleportation: The Stag Beetle could teleport to any location at will in a cloud of insects and scorpions.
- Z-Putty Summoning: The Stag Beetle could summon Z-Putties to aid him in battle. They appear from behind him when summoned.
- Lightning Blasts: The Stag Beetle could fire green lightning from the pincers on his head that was powerful enough to take down all five Rangers and make them roll away.
- Lightning Bolt: The Stag Beetle could charge green energy into his pincers and claws and then fire it from both to form a massive green lightning bolt. This was the attack that Tommy used to re-power himself.
- Shock Claws: Unlike most monsters, Stag Beetle had no weapons and instead had large, razor sharp claws instead of hands for combat.
- Energy Drain: The Stag Beetle could wrap his claws around an enemy to drain away their energies. He also did this by firing a orange beam from the pincers on his head
- Lightning Balls: The Stag Beetle's strongest attack where he could put his claws together and generate orange lightning between them to form a lightning ball and fire it forth with enough power to cause massive explosions and take down all five Rangers with one hit.
Behind the Scenes
- The Stag Beetle was voiced by Wendee Lee who also voiced Scorpina and is why his voice was so high pitched for a male monster.
- The Stag Beetle comes from what is commonly referred to as Zyu2 footage, and was not seen in the original Zyuranger.
- The Stag Beetle was intended to have been destroyed by the original Megazord and this is evident in the final episode since a pink energy slash strikes it when he was destroyed.
- Recently released Zyu2 footage further confirms this since the monster was seen kicking the original Megazord during the fight with the Thunder Megazord and the Power Sword chopping off the pincers instead of the Thunder Saber which proves that the original Megazord originally fought Stag Beetle.
- In addition to that footage there is also two examples of footage of Stag Beetle with Rita's original Putties instead of Zedd's Z Putties.
- The costume for Stag Beetle was recycled for Men in White as one of the aliens on Glaxxon's ship.
- The Stag Beetle has a strong resemblance to the Ultra Series kaiju Nokogilin.