|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "Where are they? Let me at ‘em. Let me at ‘em!"
- ―The Slippery Shark's first words upon being created.[src]
Slippery Shark was a hammerhead-shark monster who served as the main antagonist of the episode "On Fins and Needles".
Slippery Shark was created by Finster in a plan to cause a divide between Jason and Tommy and thus divide the Power Rangers which would make them easier to destroy. Slippery Shark's weapon was a fin on a chain that he wielded it like a sword where his friendship powers were concentrated. Somehow, before he was created, Rita sent the Putty Patrol and equipped them with the monster's boomerang and turned the duo against each other although not before getting defeated. Rita then had Finster create Slippery Shark and sent him to Earth and he went berserk although his speed meant that neither Alpha nor Zordon could get a lock on him. They tore Jason and Tommy away from a martial arts brawl and Zordon sent them together alone to hunt down Slippery Shark in order to overpower the rivalry spell.
Jason appeared first but the monster used his speed to cut him down before going underground, Jason trying and failing to take him out using his Blade Blaster. He then ploughed through Jason and exited the ground before teleporting away, forcing Jason to play catch-up. He then confronted Tommy nearby, overwhelming him by staying underground and ramming out his feet before jumping up and slashing him down. He then dove back underground and took him down once more before zipping away. They took into pursuit but he fully went underground, making them meet up so he could punch them both down. They eventually mended fences and tricked him into jumping out of the ground, restraining him with a net they got from nowhere which restrained him enough to force him to beg. They refused but only had time to shake hands before the monster produced his boomerang and immediately cut himself free. Although he initially had the upper hand against Jason and Tommy, the spell was broken so the other Rangers arrived and joined their comrades. Even though he was now heavily outnumbered, Slippery Shark held his own and cut down the other four only to be jump punched down by Jason and Tommy. Now angry, the monster tried his underground tactic again but Zack used his Power Axe in Cannon Mode on the ground, ejecting Slippery Shark.
With the monster stunned, the Rangers formed the Power Blaster which horrified the monster but Rita enlarged him and the finishing beam somehow missed him entirely. The Rangers then summoned the Megazord and the Dragonzord but the monster easily dodged and outmaneuvered the Zords, ducking even the Dragonzord's tail and a bunch from the Megazord before kicking the latter back. Annoyed, Jason summoned the Power Sword but even this equalizer could not turn the tide since the monster just rolled right under it and slashed the Megazord anyway. However, Billy reminded Jason about teamwork and a smack to the head from the Dragonzord's tail took down Slippery Shark and allowed the Megazord to gain the upper hand. The monster swore to turn the Megazord "into fish bait" but got slashed down the shoulder by the Power Sword although not before the Megazord did the same. The Megazord then knocked his fin up and then brought down the Power Sword so he had to block with his boomerang but it was cut straight through the middle and effectively rendered him helpless. Enraged, he swore revenge but was scared when the Megazord charged up it's weapon only to be slain by an energized slash, dancing around for a moment before falling flat on his back and exploding.
Some months later, Trumpet Top summoned an illusionary Slippery Shark to wear out the Power Rangers enough that Lord Zedd would easily be able to destroy them. Saliguana joined Soccadillo and Stag Beetle in fighting Kimberly and Trini only for the former to kick him in the side so he went down. Due to not really being there however, Grumble Bee alongside Saliguana, Fighting Flea, Soccadillo, Rhinoblaster, the Mantis, the Stag Beetle and Slippery Shark managed to "beat them" until they were worn out completely. However, Zordon saw through the plan, making the illusionary monsters cease to exist.
Later, Slippery Shark (just referred to as the "Shark Monster") was revived by Lord Zedd along with other aquatic monsters such as Commander Crayfish, Pirantishead and Goo Fish to make up his Fish Army. However, he was quickly done in by the White Ranger wielding Saba.
Slippery Shark is later among the monsters that attend Master Vile's End of the World Party around a year later.
Years later, Slippery Shark was later among the monsters seen in the Machine Empire's army. He was presumably recreated by Finster and given to King Mondo's army as an act of good will only to be destroyed by Zordon's Energy Wave.
Years later, Tommy would reference Slippery Shark by declaring "Oh man! I hate shark monsters!" when he came up against Megalador.
Just like Rita's other monsters, Slippery Shark was cunning, intelligent, resourceful and manipulative. He made a good plan on defeating the Rangers, by using a spell on Jason and Tommy, to make them rivals. However, the Shark Monster was somehow cowardly, as he tried to trick the Rangers and ran from them and did not even try to put up a fight when the Megazord cut apart his fin. However, above all else, he was also however faithful to Rita and Zedd.
Powers and Abilities
- Underground Swimming: Slippery Shark can slip underground to perform either a surprise attack or a strike which could knock down any of the Rangers in one hit.
- Strength: Single strikes from Slippery Shark's fin (or even claws) could send Jason and Tommy flying and he jumped up through the solid ground with a single bound.
- Durability: Slippery Shark was immune to hits from Jason's Blade Blaster and, when giant, a smack to the face from the Dragonzord's tail and a slash down the shoulder from the Power Sword had little effect.
- Speed: Being a shark monster, Slippery Shark was able to outrun the scanners in the Command Center and jumped around fast enough to stun Jason.
- Agility: Slippery Shark was extremely fast and agile to the point of being able to duck and dodge the Megazord's Power Sword, even rolling right under it.
to be added
- Boomerang Fin: Slippery Shark has a big blue razor sharp fin similar to Scorpina's to aid him in combat.
- Friendship Destruction: Slippery Shark's fin was able to make Tommy and Jason intense rivals simply by having each one of them hold it.
- Claws: Slippery Shark also possessed razor sharp claws that took down Jason with a single glancing hit.
Behind the Scenes
- In his first appearance, Slippery Shark was voiced by Steve Kramer. In his second, the Shark Monster was voiced by the late producer Scott Page-Pagter.
- Slippery Sharks design resembles a Hammerhead Shark.
to be added
- Slippery Shark comes from what is commonly referred to as "Zyu2" footage, and was not seen in the original Zyuranger.
- According to Jeff Pruitt, the stunt director, Slippery Shark had footage of him flying, but was cut out because the wires were visible. Said footage is not available online.
- Slippery Shark's weapon is the only Evil Space Alien weapon named in Season 1. Said naming occurred in the line "who wants to take on me and my Boomerang Fin?" after breaking out of that net.
- The five-inch figure released of this monster in the first season toy line did not come with the boomerang he used in the show. Instead, the toy came with a wrist-mounted gun.