|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|"Ha ha ha ha ha ha! No need to give me an order Lord Zedd, Lord Zedd. It will be my pleasure. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh! Heh!"|
|―The Skelerena's first words upon being created.[src]|
|"Come Rangers. I need to do something nasty to make my day."|
|―The Skelerena when rampaging through Angel Grove Park.[src]|
|"Na heh heh heh heh! The joke’s on you, Rangers! Heh heh!"|
|―The Skelerena when confronted by the Power Rangers.[src]|
Skelerena was a skeletal hyena monster who served as the secondary antagonist of the episode "Mirror of Regret."
Adam is acting as a tutor to a young bullied karate student named Shawn who has self-esteem and confidence issues. Lord Zedd decides to sabotage this by ruining his confidence with the Mirror of Regret via Goldar. With Adam's confidence waning, Zedd decides to send a monster to destroy the other Power Rangers. Selecting a hyena picture on the cover of a magazine at the Angel Grove Youth Center (that Shawn has been using to write a drawing reference), Zedd creates Skelerena who he commands to destroy the Power Rangers but the monster already wanted to do so anyway. The Skelerena immediately begins rampaging through Angel Grove Park to try and lure out the Rangers before terrorizing two schoolgirls, alerting Zordon to his attack and forcing the Rangers to fight him instead of helping Adam. When they arrive, the Skelerena opts out of fighting once a jump slash somehow misses and summons an army of Putties to wipe out the Rangers. From this point on, the monster doesn't attack even once and prefers to stand on the sidelines and laugh his rib-cage off. With no interference from the monster, the Rangers take a beating but swiftly destroy the Putties although they still need Adam to finish off Skelerena. Fortunately, Adam sends Goldar packing soon after and then morphs to join the other Rangers. Tommy meets up with Adam and comments that Skelerena is tough which he appreciates and jumps at them but then falls flat on the ground from his own bottomless stupidity. The Rangers then receive their new Power Cannon and power it up with their Power Spheres before they then fire it. They are barely able to keep a grip on it though as the blast completely obliterates Skelerena into red energy particles. Since the monster was absolutely useless and the scheme a massive failure, Zedd decides not to make Skelerena grow.
Skelerena was a confident monster who enjoyed laughing hysterically and mocking his enemies. However, he was also either remarkably lazy or remarkably stupid since he did all this whilst doing literally nothing to contribute to the fight.
Powers and Abilities
- High Leaps: Skelerena could leap incredible distances in single bounds.
- Z Putty Summoning-Skelerena was able to summon Lord Zedd's special brand of Putties in order to fight instead of him.
- Claws-Skelerena lacked any real weapons but had massive hands with razor sharp claws to hack and slash his enemies with. He never actually made contact with them however.
Behind the Scenes
- Skelerena was voiced by Tom Fahn in his first Power Rangers role after which he went on to voice a few more monsters such as the Demon Racers and the Wicked Wisher.
- Outside of Power Rangers, Fahn is best known in the wider world as the voice of Agumon from Digimon.
- Although the image at the top of the page shows Skelerena with a bone staff, he was not seen with one at any point in the episode and it is simply a result of using a production shot from Dairanger.
- Along with Scumlaw from 22 years later, Skelerena is the least powerful monster in the franchise. All he does it teleport then cackle manically off-screen before his destruction.
- In fact, he might actually be weaker and less dangerous than Scumlaw since that monster was at least cunning and an excellent lawyer.
- Demon-Fist Master Jin Matoba - Super Sentai counterpart in Dairanger. See comparison page. (Skelerena being derived from his Garoki form)