|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|"Lights, camera, action! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!"|
|―The Showbiz Monster's first words upon being created.[src]|
|"Showtime Earthlings. Prepare to meet your doom. Every scene’s a fight scene. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!"|
|―The Showbiz Monster when attacking Angel Grove.[src]|
|"Look who's come to audition. Attack them, Putties."|
|―The Showbiz Monster when confronted by the Power Rangers.[src]|
The Showbiz Monster was a special effects monster who served as the main antagonist of the episode "Lights, Camera, Action."
When the Power Rangers are going on Harvey Garvey's TV show to promote education, Lord Zedd sees it as a chance to get rid of them once and for all. After an evil twin idea falls through, due to Goldar and the Putty Patrol failing to capture the real Power Rangers, Zedd creates the Showbiz Monster from a television show camera outside of the studio partway through the episode's production after seeing the Rangers hamming it up for the camera. The Showbiz Monster attacks the center of Angel Grove where he starts to rampage in order to force the Rangers to fight him and he can destroy them to "make a name for himself." When the Rangers finally arrive, the monster summons the Putty Patrol but the Putties are no match for the Rangers as usual, Lord Zedd then makes the Showbiz Monster grow with a Growth Bomb with the monster now being equipped with a sword. However, before the Rangers can summon the Thunderzords, Goldar arrives to fight Tommy and he is forced to sit out the Zord fight to fight Goldar. The other Rangers form the Thunder Megazord even as the sun goes down and the Showbiz Monster charges before jumping high into the air to finish them off. However, at the last possible second, the Thunder Megazord pulls out the Thunder Saber and flips him over its head so that he goes down and they finish him off with the Thunder Saber. The Showbiz Monster explodes in a strange way, being ripped apart in a cloud of special effects energy instead of the traditional orange explosion.
The Showbiz Monster behaved like a stereotypical television crewman by using technical terminology such as scenes, auditions, scenarios, fight scenes, intermissions, etc. Though he was evil, he did enjoy a hearty laugh albeit at the expense of others and was not above criticizing his own Putties for their pathetic attempts at fighting the Power Rangers.
Powers and Abilities
- Putty Summoning-The Showbiz Monster was able to summon Putties to aid him in battle.
- Super Jumps-The Showbiz Monster was able to jump several miles in the air to try to attack the Thunder Megazord.
- Fists-Though initially lacking in proper weapons, the Showbiz Monster could presumably defend himself with his bare hands but he never ended up using them.
- Sword-When giant, the Showbiz Monster had a large sword to aid him in battle. However, it didn't help him at all due to being a completely useless fighter.
Behind the Scenes
- The Showbiz Monster was voiced by the late Bob Papenbrook in his first Power Rangers role.
- This was also one of his few performances with a voice that had no resemblance to Rito Revolto.
- Along with the Skelerena from three episodes earlier and Scumlaw from 22 years later, the Showbiz Monster is the least powerful monster in the franchise. All he did was summon Putties then cackle manically off-screen before growing and was then easily slain.
- Since his counterpart was killed by an explosion, and flipped violently onto his back by the Thunder Megazord, this presumably ruined the Showbiz Monster suit and would explain why he did not appear in American footage.