|This article is about a/an Megazord in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "We need Shogun Zord power now!"
- ―Mighty Morphin Rangers summoning the Shogun Zords[src]
- "Power of Water, Power of Light, Powers unite! We need Shogun Zord Power now!"
- ―Alien Rangers summoning the Shogun Zords[src]
- "Shogun Megazord, Battle Ready!"
- ―Mighty Morphin Rangers after transforming the Megazord[src]
The Shogun Megazord is the combination of the five ancient Zords, the Shogunzords.
While the Ninja Megazord is swift and agile, the Shogun Megazord is burly and powerful. Consequently, it lacks speed. It is heavily armored, yet still functional. Its main weapon, the Fire Saber, destroys opponents with a fire slash.
When the White Ninja Falconzord, the Pink Power Coin, Kimberly, and Ninjor were captured by Rita and Zedd, they planned to blackmail the Rangers into piloting the ancient Shogunzords, which the villains had recently rediscovered. However, Billy was able to take control of the zords by transferring the zords to the Power Coins rather than Zedd's power source, allowing the Rangers to use them as a replacement for the incapacitated Ninjazords, while Tommy was able to remove Zedd's immediate blackmail tool by rescuing Kimberly, even if Ninjor, the Falconzord and the Pink Coin remained in Zedd's custody. Because there was no Pink Shogunzord in the series, coupled with her currently weakened powers due to the loss of her coin, the Pink Ranger co-piloted the White Shogunzord with Tommy.
The Shogunzords were legendary lost Zords, found by Baboo, Squatt and Finster on the planet Zordina so that Lord Zedd may use them to conquer Earth. Following this he powered them up and brought them online. When he requested to be teleported to the Command Center for a parley, Zedd forced the Rangers to pilot them and destroy Earth with them, in exchange for the safety of a kidnapped Kimberly. After a rescue misson, Tommy was able locate Kimberly and teleport both of them back to the Command Center. During the course of the misson Billy was able to gain control of the Shogunzords, as a result Zedd lost the upper hand as well as the Shogunzords. The Shogunzords could combine and form the Shogun Megazord, and they could make a pyramid formation which destroyed monsters in a whirlwind. The Shogunzords are humanoid robots of different colors (much like the Alien Rangers' Battle Borgs) and with different armor around the head, the heads resembling the animals the Ninjazords were based on. The Shogunzords are considerably more useful than the Ninjazords due to their human form.
The arc in which the Shogunzords featured prominently is therefore the same arc in which Kimberly is written out of the series, and set during the transition period before Katherine comes to replace her. After this, when the Shogunzords are used, both Tommy and Kat pilot the White Shogunzord together. Some American and British viewers saw the introduction of a second set of Zords partway through a season as an instance of jumping the shark, though Power Rangers remained popular after this (and the inclusion of a second set of Zords partway through the series would become standard practice throughout the following series).
After stealing the Zeo Crystal and banishing the Ninjazords and Shogunzords to the M51 Galaxy, Master Vile transferred the Zeo Crystal to the Shogun Megazord's engine room, where he established an energy link. The Rangers find the "big toe emergency exit", and use their Blade Blasters to break through the rust and corrosion that ravaged the Zords on the planetoid to get in. Once inside, they focused the energies from their Ninja Coins in conjunction with the Morphing Grid and broke Vile's link to the Zeo Crystal. This in turn also returned control of the Zords to them.
When the Orb of Doom turned the Rangers into children, the Alien Rangers of Aquitar assumed command over the Shogunzords, presumably powering them with their Power Coins in place of the Earth Rangers'. The Shogunzords are used to destroy all the enemies of the Aquitar Rangers during their time on Earth (except for the Slotsky monster, who was destroyed by the Battle Borgs).
It's notable that the Alien Rangers are never seen in the cockpits of either the individual Zords or the Megazord itself, though they were seen teleporting up on one occasion. When they summoned the zords and teleported into them, a different element of nature appeared with them as they came into being. It's unknown what became of the Shogunzords after time was restored by the Zeo Crystal. It's possible that the Zords are now in possession of the Alien Rangers, but only the Battle Borgs were mentioned as an option to fight the hijacked Zeo Megazord and Super Zeo Megazord in "Rangers of Two Worlds".
- See also: Giant Beast General White Kark
- "White Shogunzord Power Up!"
- ―Transformation announcement[src]
The White Shogunzord is a warrior zord and piloted by Tommy Oliver and later co-piloted by Katherine Hillard. It was later used by Delphine. It resembles a crane. It forms the left arm of the Shogun Megazord and the Shogun MegaFalconzord. It is armed with dual sai weapons. It is the only individual zord to have more than one pilot. When Delphine teleported into the zord, it rose into being in front of an aurora borealis.
- See also: Giant Beast General Black Gammer
- "Black Shogunzord Power Up!"
- ―Transformation announcement[src]
The Black Shogunzord is a warrior zord patterned after a frog and piloted by Adam Park and later by Corcus. It resembles a frog. It forms the left leg of the Shogun Megazord and the Shogun Mega Falconzord. It is armed with a large bow and arrow. When Corcus teleported into the zord, it rose into being in front of a rising dust burst of rocks.
- See also: Giant Beast General Blue Logan
- "Blue Shogunzord Power Up!"
- ―Transformation announcement[src]
The Blue Shogunzord is a warrior zord patterned after a wolf and piloted by Billy Cranston and later by Cestro. It resembles a wolf. It forms the right arm of the Shogun Megazord and the Shogun Mega Falconzord. It is armed with a staff weapon. It was the only Shogunzord to defeat a monster on its own; Billy confronted the Brick Bully on his own when Tommy, Rocky, Aisha and Adam had been turned into bricks by the monster and Kat was trying to return them to normal. When Cestro teleported into the zord, it rose into being in front of a raging tidal wave.
- See also: Giant Beast General Yellow Kumard
- "Yellow Shogunzord Power Up!"
- ―Transformation announcement[src]
The Yellow Shogunzord is a warrior zord patterned after a bear and piloted by Aisha Campbell and later by Tideus. It resembles a bear. It forms the right leg of the Shogun Megazord and the Shogun Mega Falconzord. It is armed with a rake-like claw weapon. When Tideus teleported into the zord, it rose into being in front of a mass of yellow leaves blowing in the wind.
- See also: Giant Beast General Red Saruder
- "Red Shogunzord Power Up!"
- ―Transformation announcement[src]
The Red Shogunzord is a warrior zord patterned after an ape and piloted by Rocky DeSantos and later by Aurico. It resembles an ape. It forms the head, and torso of the Shogun Megazord and the Shogun Mega Falconzord. It's armed with a shield. When Aurico teleported into the zord, it spun into being among Flames and in front of a stormy sky.
The Red Shogunzord forms the main body and head, with its skirt coming up to form a bigger chestpiece. Its legs fold upwards, with its feet becoming a new skirt. The Blue and White Shogunzords form the arms with their shoulders hunching to cover their heads. The Yellow and Black Shogunzords form the legs by contracting all body parts.
- The Shogun Megazord could combine with the White Ninja Falconzord to become Shogun MegaFalconzord.
- Shogun MegaFalconzord could then combine with Titanus to become Shogun Ultrazord.
PLEX designed Shogun Megazord. Its design is based on classic Japanese fortresses as well as ancient shoguns, while its helmet is that of a "paper crane" design. Its shoulders and Fire Saber are adorned with "Shachihoko" gargoyles, that is, an ancient Chinese mythical monster with the head of a tiger and the body of a monstrous spiky fish. Shogun Megazord's chest has the kanji for "Shinobi" on it. It retains the shapes of the Power Coins as designed for Kakuranger. The "S" on the Red Shogunzord likely stands for Sun Wukong, or the legendary Monkey King (just like the Red Ape Ninjazord).
Legendary Ranger Devices
The Shogun Megazord has seen several deluxe releases, action figures, collectible figures and even remote-control versions.
- Despite the fact the Shogunzords feature obvious similarities to the Ninjazords through thematic animals, as well as the ability to combine with the Falcon Ninjazord, they are not written as being linked to Ninjor or the Ninja powers, though in early airings, the animal inspirations were acknowledged.
- Alternately, the obvious resemblance between the Shogunzords and the Alien Rangers' Battleborgs was never addressed, the Battleborgs themselves said to have originated from Ninjor's powers. In Ninja Sentai Kakuranger, the Beast Fighters, which were localized as the Battleborgs, were alternate, non-combinable forms of the Giant Beast Generals, which were localized into the Shogunzords. The Beast Generals and Beast Fighters also fought alongside each other on a couple occasions; though footage of one of these instances appeared in promotional shots for Mighty Morphin' Alien Rangers, it was never used in any actual episodes.
- Kimberly never piloted the White Shogunzord alongside Tommy, just as Katherine never piloted the Pink Crane Ninjazord in battle, despite both Rangers having access to either Zord.
- Though it does not exist in the series, for the toyline there was a Pink Shogunzord in place of the White Shogunzord by recoloring the mold of the Giant Beast General White Kark pink.
- For the Shogun Ultrazord, Titanus and the Shogun MegaFalconzord were uses from the American Toyline, which explains why Tommy (and Kim or Kat's)/Delphine's Shogun Zord goes from White to Pink, and why the Japanese kanji and symbols on the Megazord's shoulders and chest become the stylized "S" and lightning bolt logos from the toy.
- According to Super Sentai continuity, the Fire Saber (known in the original as the Flame Shogun Sword) is capable of shrinking down to human size and used by the Kakurangers to destroy monsters, though the human-sized version of the Fire Saber was never used in Power Rangers.
- The Shogunzords are the first entire set of Zords (rather than a single one, such as the Red Ape Ninjazord) to be humanoid in appearance, even before becoming a Megazord.
- The Shogunzords are the first set of Zords along with the Ninjazords to be neither destroyed nor rendered powerless.
- The Shogunzords are the first set of Zords that can combine with a Zord from a different set (the Falconzord can combine with the Shogun Megazord to form the Shogun MegaFalconzord), as well as a Sixth Ranger's secondary Zord.
- The Shogunzords are the first set of Zords (as opposed to a single Zord, such as the Dragon and Tigerzords) to be introduced mid-season.
- In original airings Zordon named the Shogunzords after the Rangers used them for battle, with everyone simply calling the components Ancient Zords. In later airings, they are known as Shogunzords all the while.
- The Shogunzords are the only set of Zords so far to be referred to individually exclusively by color (e.g. the White Shogunzord, the Red Shogunzord, etc.) as opposed to number (the Zeozords) or creature (such as the Dino, Thunder, and Ninjazords). Though in original airings, the first thing the Rangers call them were Ancient Ape Zord, Ancient Bear Zord etc.
- They are the only set of Zords to be used by more than one team of rangers (the Ninja Rangers and the Alien Rangers).
- The Shogun Zord's cockpits were the same sets used to represent the Ninja Zord cockpits, with an additional white Falconzord cockpit set made for the White Shogunzord. An entirely new cockpit set was created for the Shogun Megazord, which noticeably featured 6 rangers piloting it even for its default combination sequence.
- The White Shogunzord is the only individual Zord to be piloted by two Rangers at the same time. Since there was no Pink Shogunzord, Katherine Hillard shared its cockpit with Tommy.
- The White Shogunzord is also the first individual Zord to be piloted by a Sixth Ranger that was not a seperate Zord on its own belonging solely to the Sixth Ranger, but rather belonging to a set of Zords that were part of the arsenal of the main Ranger team, and being required as a main component of the combined Megazord. This would later on be repeated with the Ninja Blaze Megazord.
- The Shogunzords are the first individual Zords to have American Footage (this would later be followed by the Lost Galaxy Zords and the Wild Force Zords.
- It is notable that the Alien Rangers are never seen in the cockpits of either the individual Zords or the Megazord itself. The Alien Rangers enter the Shogunzords by being absorbed into them via the gold shape on each Shogunzord's chest (actually using Kakuranger footage for this process). It is unknown how the six Power Rangers enter the Zords but most likely the same way. However, the Zyuranger footage of the Rangers (sans White Ranger being from Dairanger) jumping into their Zords was reused. However, only the footage depicting the Red, Blue and Black Rangers is shown, even after the Pink Ranger is restored to the team. In the Zords' first appearance, the Yellow Ranger footage is also used, editing the Pink Ranger in the same clip out.
- The Shogun Megazord Fire Saber does not have an American toy counterpart.
- The Shogun Megazord has three transformation sequences in total to it, one of which is used in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, as well as in Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers, and for the latter it has two others: The traditional transformation, where all five Shogunzords are shown charging forward and teleporting away one at a time to transform into the parts of the Megazord. The second being where the Alien Rangers summon the Shogunzords, which teleport onto a rock formation, and then merge together into a ball of light which becomes the Shogun Megazord. For the third combination, the Alien Rangers line up, teleport to one side of the screen and become the Zords, which then teleport to the other side of the screen, fully merged as the Megazord. The third formation sequence was only used once in Hogday Afternoon Part 2, which the second was used numerous of times throughout Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers.