|This article is about a/an villain in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "Try me. Ah ha ha ha!!"
- ―Scorpina after being grown for the first time.[src]
Scorpina was one of Rita Repulsa's most ruthless and dangerous enforcers, besides Goldar, whom she frequently fought alongside. She fought with a crescent-shaped sword that could be thrown like a boomerang and, when she grew to giant-size, she became a scorpion monster that had a giant stinger-like ponytail and a large claw in place of her left hand.
In spite of her minor villain role, Scorpina served as the main antagonist of the episodes "Green With Evil Part III", "The Rockstar", "A Star Is Born" and "Goldar's Vice-Versa" as well as the comic "Soul of the Dragon."
Very little is known about Scorpina's background other than that she was an old friend of Rita Repulsa and, according to Baboo, did horrible things including stinging him to the point that he complained about it for three weeks.
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
After Tommy is defeated by the original Megazord and its Mastodon Shield, Rita decides that she needs more muscle and summons Scorpina from within a boulder. The Power Rangers later confront her in the warehouse district but she summons Putties and then overwhelms them. Having made her grand entrance, Rita teleports away.
Once Goldar gets the upper-hand against the original Megazord, Rita makes Scorpina grow into her giant hideous monster form. The Megazord is severely weakened by the combined power of Goldar and Scorpina and the loss of its solar energy courtesy of a solar eclipse she has created is enough that Goldar is able to jump kick the Megazord to the ground as the eclipse reaches its zenith. Jason calls on the Power Sword for an energy boost and the Megazord gets back on its feet and reclaims the advantage on Goldar and Scorpina. However, Rita then summons the Green Ranger (who has been captured during a second attack on the Command Center) and enlarges him too. Together, they decimate the Megazord and Goldar and Tommy annihilate it with a giant energy beam.
Goldar and Scorpina later drink to their success over the Rangers in the Moon Palace. However, the Rangers manage to regain their Zords and return Tommy to the side of good where he then joins the Rangers as their Sixth Ranger.
After transforming Kimberly's grandmother's spinning wheel into the Wheel of Misfortune, Rita sends Goldar and Scorpina down to Earth in order to grow. The individual Zords are no match, Goldar netting up the Tyrannosaurus and energy blasts from Scorpina prevent the other Zords from interfering before they cut it down. Luckily, Tommy breaks free from a Putty rope and blasts them down with the Dragonzord's missile barrage before freeing the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord. Midway through the Zord fight, the Wheel arrives and manages to put up a solid fight, even giving the Megazord trouble. It is ultimately destroyed when the Megazord combines with the Dragonzord and Titanus to form the original Ultrazord in a last-ditch effort for victory, prompting the other villains to retreat.
After Jason smashes the Crystal of Nightmares, Scorpina teleports down to be grown by Rita once again alongside Goldar. The Rangers morph and summon the Megazord but are completely overwhelmed by the duo, finally getting knocked down by a devastating double jump kick from Goldar. However, they then summoned the Power Sword and cut them down before unleashing the finisher. Although the duo survive, they are badly injured and have to retreat.
After the recently re-powered Tommy regains his Dragon Dagger, retrieves the Dragonzord and defeats Goldar in single combat, Rita sends down Scorpina to help Goldar defeat Tommy and they enlarge themselves into their giant forms. As giants, the two warriors battle Dragonzord and take a pounding until they realize that they have left the Rangers' stolen Power Coins unguarded so retreat but Tommy is able to escape with the Coins and eventually helps the Rangers destroy the Dramole.
In Scorpina's absence, Jason, Trini and Zack leave the team and are replaced by Rocky DeSantos, Adam Park and Aisha Campbell. Sometime after that, Angel Grove High School organizes a vice-versa dance but Adam is reluctant to go as he has no one to go with. Sensing an opportunity to lure the Rangers into a deadly trap, Zedd has Scorpina disguise herself as a new student named Sabrina. She appears in the Youth Center shortly after some of Zedd's Z Putties ambush Adam and prevent him from hitching up with a girl Aisha told him fancied him. She poses as an ordinary teenager and is offered by Adam to be looked around but passes her martial arts gear off to Aisha snobbishly whilst Adam is head over heals for her. Taking Adam on a date in the park, she leads him around whilst objecting to Aisha tagging along before Goldar and the Putty Patrol appear. When Adam tells "Sabrina" to get back, Scorpina refuses and reveals herself and the revelation of that is enough for Goldar to tie them to a tree whilst they are distracted. Fortunately, the other Rangers arrive and wipe out the Putties while Tommy (having since become the White Ranger) takes on Goldar and Scorpina. Tommy jump slashes their weapons away from him so they give him ground. However, he then kicks back Goldar, blocks a swing from Scorpina, and smacks away Goldar’s sword. Tommy then jumps over a Goldar sword swing, kicks away his sword, and kicks him away. After Billy rescues the hostages with his Power Lance, allowing them to morph, Tommy immediately split kicks them down and out of the fight entirely.
With the Putties gone and his generals knocked down, Zedd throws one of his Growth Grenades which grows Goldar and Scorpina with the latter once again assuming her monster form. The Power Rangers summon the Thunder Megazord whilst Tommy summons his White Tigerzord. Scorpina fires her tail straight at it which causes giant explosions but fails to faze the Zord and it transforms into Warrior Mode. The Thunder Megazord energy slashes the two villains down with the Thunder Saber finisher before the White Tigerzord blasted them with its White Tiger Thunderbolts. However, neither Scorpina and Goldar are fazed by that attack and Scorpina's claws blasts combined with Goldar's eye blasts are strong enough to wipe out the Thunder Megazord and force the White Tigerzord back into Tiger Mode. Fortunately, Tommy rallies the Rangers and re-powers his Zord before summoning Tor the Shuttlezord and the Thunderzords form the Thunder Ultrazord. Rather than crush the two arch-villains, they just blast down the two who are hurt enough to be forced to retreat whilst quoting Oliver Goldsmith.
Scorpina is never seen again after that attack and is unaccounted for when Zordon's Energy Wave is unleashed over the galaxy and destroys most of the villains and purifies Rita, Zedd, Divatox and Astronema. Scorpina's current status would remain unknown for another twenty-eight years.
Scorpina returns thirty three years after her last appearance as a strange black cloaked figure calling herself "The Witch", supplying the gangs across Newtech City with high tech weaponry and special Zeo Crystal-like gems that grant them special powers. However, J.J. Oliver (son of former Green Ranger Tommy Oliver) uncovers this scheme inadvertently and he, Anara and Tommy Oliver confront her in Pasten's Tower from which she operates and reveals herself as JJ reveals himself to be Tommy's son. Scorpina (with a giant black cloak over her face) who thinks the revelation almost makes his betrayal worth it and that she must savor the chance to manipulate Tommy and his son. Tommy threatens to shut off Rita's magic and make her helpless but "The Witch" just laughs at him for being so unobservant and JJ tells Tommy that "The Witch" isn't Rita at all to his astonishment. Scorpina then reveals herself but Anara refuses to believe that nothing about Scorpina is magic so blasts her with the box as Tommy orders JJ and her to withdraw. Unfortunately, Scorpina has been unfazed by the blast and attacks Tommy from behind only to be blown away by J.J. and Anara's blasters. Unfortunately, Scorpina has been unfazed by the blast and attacks Tommy from behind only to be blown away by JJ and Anara's blasters. As Tommy weakens though, Scorpina prepares to blast him away with her wand only for Anara and Tommy to dive out of the building to their supposed destruction. Alone with J.J., Scorpina compliments him on his father's sacrifice and that "her master" will be pleased before transporting herself and JJ away.
In some nearby mountains, Scorpina sets up a candle ritual as JJ (tied to a rock) asks if she is going to kill him and she responds that Lokar needs a sacrifice but JJ asks what happened to her since she has gone from feared warrior and scourge of the Power Rangers to a flunky dancing around for a giant floating head. Scorpina responds that she doesn't have to tell him anything but JJ points out that she is about to kill him so why not monologue? Relenting, she explains the truth;; twenty years ago, Scorpina became disillusioned with Rita and began to desire power so started to read her spell books. However, it was a trap (probably set to either test her loyalty or to find who had been breaking into her library) and she was banished to the Talos Dimension where she was found and rescued by Lokar, the dimension's ruler and Rita's former despondent henchman. She tried to get him to send her back but he refused until Zordon's Energy Wave wiped out his allies and he decided that he had no choice but to use her as an envoy. He sends her back to Earth but, due to time moving slower in the Talos Dimension than on Earth, she appears roughly eight years after the defeat of Omni and the Troobian Empire. The powered crystals that she has been supplying the gangs with are actually beacons to draw Lokar to Earth as he desires so that he can conquer it. Scorpina has promised Lokar a tribute and she will give it to him so that he will give her the power she craves; more than that of Rita and will allow her to ascend from minion and foot-soldier to take her rightful place as a true villain. However, someone finds it very unimpressive and she turns to see Tommy as Mighty Morphin White and JJ reveals that she didn't search him very well since he has kept a transmitter on himself which allowed SPD to track him.
Unconcerned, Scorpina and an army of loyal thugs heavily outnumber Tommy and thus this lone white knight shtick won't work. Unfortunately for Scorpina, Tommy isn't alone as he is joined by Anara, an army of Space Patrol Delta officers, Katherine Hillard, the Blue Senturion, and Jack Landors (having re-assumed his previous position as S.P.D. Red apparently) in S.W.A.T. Mode. Determined not to fail, Scorpina and her forces do battle and jump slashes Tommy down only to be blasted by Kat who then rescues JJ even as Scorpina pulls out some of her power crystals and shatters them to earn a giant increase in power. As the group start to retreat, JJ notices something and declares that they have bigger issues just as a giant clawed hand lunges and sends Tommy flying into a wall. The threat turns out to be a titanic metal Scorpina who is more scorpion like than ever. As the group gawk at her, Scorpina slams the ground hard enough to send them all flying before picking up JJ in one hand and prepares to crush him for her master even as everyone fires at her to utterly no effect and the Blue Senturion futility demanded her surrender. Fortunately, Tommy has an idea and throws his final morph (Mighty Morphin Green) to J.J. who then uses it to morph into Mighty Morphin Green and break free. As he beats down her thugs, Scorpina claims that it is futile but then Lokar arrives, having gotten bored of nothing happening and come to punish his minion. She begs for more time but he has had enough and sucks her back into the Talos Dimension whilst her gang is rounded up and arrested by Space Patrol Delta. Neither Scorpina or Lokar have been heard from since but it can be presumed he killed her due to being useless and since he said he'd take a different sacrifice.
Scorpina is teleported to the World of the Coinless dimension after being exposed to the Green Chaos Crystal. After being sent to the Coinless Dimension, she joins Lord Drakkon’s New Power Coalition to vie for power. At some point after this, Scorpina and Drakkon sit on his balcony and discuss how much Scorpina misses her old mistress with Drakkon eventually manipulating her to tell him how to contact Dark Specter.
Scorpina is erased from existence via the Heart of the Master thanks to Drakkon but returns to existence when the Power Rangers remake all worlds.
With Drakkon presumed dead when the multiverse was remade (though he was actually transported to the main comic universe), Scorpina takes command over his army with Finster 5 as her scientist and confidant. She is quickly forced to fight every force in the universe from Lord Zedd to Master Vile and eventually undead Ranger Sentries led by an an undead version of the World of the Coinless' Rita Repulsa has returned to remake the world in her image. Scorpina is approached by the Kimberly Hart of this world for a team-up to stop Rita with the Coinless leadership as her prisoners but she refuses help and demands the Ranger Sentries execute them all. However, she is forced to work with Kimberly when the Ranger Sentries realize that Kimberly is right in saying that Rita is the biggest enemy at the moment. Scorpina and Aisha Campbell take on Rita herself and Scorpina is seemingly killed when she tries to defend Aisha only to have faked it and is able to send Rita back to Hell by smashing her wand. Later, Scorpina tries to re-assume command but the troops trust Kimberly more and Finster 5 advises her to let Kimberly take command and Scorpina agrees. When Kimberly tries to refuse, Scorpina reminds her of an early speech about selflessness and has Finster give her a more armored outfit as empress.
A few months after the defeat of Rita, Scorpina and the Coinless leadership have become Kimberly's advisors with Scorpina friendlier but more bitter. She eventually develops a friendship with this dimension's version of Adam Park, a Mastodon Sentry but Eclipta (a messenger from Dark Specter) arrives on Earth as a vanguard for an invasion after they rescue this dimension's Jason is rescued from Drakkon's super-prison known as The Deadlock. She aids Kimberly in a fight against Eclipta but is distraught after he is killed by Eclipta once Jason disconnects the Power Coins from the machine which empowers the Ranger Sentries. Scorpina would temporarily obtains a new form resembling a phoenix after the former Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers use their Power Coins to power up the entire population with Morphin’ Grid energy. Even once the army loses all power, she and the other citizens in Angel Grove are able to beat Eclipta into a coma and she is last seen watching the comatose Eclipta as Kimberly sends a message to Dark Specter as a warning of their power.
Video game appearances
Power Rangers Legacy Wars
Scorpina is among the Rangers who feature in Power Rangers Legacy Wars.
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Scorpina is an unorthodox character who excels at playing a tricky, aggressive zoning type of game plan. While she sports somewhat sluggish basic movement and awkward normal attacks, she makes up for this with some powerful space control tools with their own special properties from teleports to damage-over-time nerfs, unique aggressive movement and powerful new special moves every time she lands an EX.
Power Rangers: heroes of the Grid
Scorpina appears as a Boss in the board game Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid. She is a Kickstarter-Exclusive character part of the "Green With Evil" expansion.
Power Rangers Deck-Building Game
Scorpina appears as a playable character in the Power Rangers Deck-Building Game.
Scorpina was a loud, violent, pompous, arrogant, sadistic loudmouth who enjoyed battering and beating down her enemies. Although viscous enough in her humanoid form, Scorpina became almost feral in her monstrous form as she became arrogant to the point of near mindlessness. However, Scorpina showed some interest in Goldar and appeared to be hugging him at several points. In fact, in the script for the unfinished episode, "Zordon, I Shrunk The Rangers", Goldar and Scorpina had a date planned but Zedd and Rita forced the two to go on a mission much to Goldar's dismay and Scorpina's annoyance. Although initially intensely loyal to Rita and Zedd, Scorpina's arrogance grew to such a degree that she either wanted to usurp them or at least gain as much clout as them to the point of trying to read her spell-books which was her undoing. Once she returned to Earth thirty years after, Scorpina was completely devoted to Lokar and obeying him although it is never made clear whether she would have betrayed him after she had the power she desired (though it is likely that she would have).
The comics version of Scorpina started out much the same as her TV counterpart, though she is far more successful in taking power for herself by succeeding in taking power via the New Power Coalition but eventually gives up her power to Kimberly since she is intelligent enough to realize that going against her own army is a very bad idea. A few months later, Scorpina has mellowed out significantly but remains snarky and a know-it-all as well as constantly criticizing Kimberly's plans as stupid. A recurring joke was her failing to remember Adam's name correctly (calling him everything from "Alan" to "Apple") but finally remembers his name once he dies.
Powers and Abilities
- Teleportation: Scorpina could make herself vanish on the spot when she needs to leave battle.
- Teleportation Casting: When working for Lokar, Scorpina could summon dark purple smoke from the ground to teleport herself and J.J. to any location chose.
- Helmet Laser: Scorpina could shoot out an orange energy laser from her helmet.
- Explosion Casting: Scorpina caused a large orange explosion in the warehouse district by snapping her fingers when Alpha introduced her to the Power Rangers.
- Energy Streams: Scorpina could fire red energy streams from her hands that caused large explosions but failed to faze the Power Rangers.
- Monster Summoning: Scorpina could summon monsters by snapping her fingers as seen when she summoned the Rockstar.
- Putty Summoning: Scorpina could summon both the regular Putties and the Z-Putties to aid her in combat.
- Lightning Blasts: Scorpina could fire blue lightning blasts from her hand that took down Kimberly with one hit.
- Self Growth: In the episode "A Star Is Born," Goldar and Scorpina clearly enlarged themselves to aid Babe Ruthless given Rita being under the weather.
- Scorpion Form: Scorpina could assume an anthropomorphic scorpion form when Rita or Zedd makes her grow.
- Energy Absorption: Scorpina was able to absorb the energy from her own crystals at the end of "Soul of the Dragon."
- Monster Transformation: By doing so, Scorpina was able to enlarge herself into a version of her usual monster form except stronger and covered in her signature golden armor.
- Strength: Scorpina was one of the most powerful members of the Evil Space Aliens, roughly on par with Goldar and Rito. Single slashes from her boomerang took down a Ranger each and crushing five of Lokar's Power Crystals (which are all very durable) into chunks in one hand.
- Durability: Scorpina was blasted to the ground by the Blade Blasters without injury and being shot by Anara and JJ's blasters only knocked her back a bit.
- Hand to Hand Combat: Scorpina was roughly on par with Goldar in terms of combat skill, being able to overwhelm all five Rangers very easily.
- Super Jumps: Scorpina was able to jump up extremely high into the air with a single bound as seen when Zordon introduced her as she jumped onto the roof of a building from the ground.
to be added
- Scorpion Fin: Scorpina had a razor sharp scorpion tail-like blade to aid her in combat. She was not seen holding it in "Soul of the Dragon" so it likely remains stored in the Moon Palace.
- Boomerang: Scorpina could charge up her crescent fin blade with blue energy and throw it like a boomerang to knock down her enemies and then catch it.
- Lightning Strike: When combined with Goldar's sword, Scorpina could fire forth blue lightning from her fin blade with enough power to take down all five Rangers.
- Rita Wand: As "The Witch", Scorpina's main weapon was a large purple wand with a red jewel in the middle based upon Rita's wand that she discarded in the Talos Dimension after kidnapping JJ.
- Lightning Wave: Using the Rita wand replica, Scorpina could swing it sideways in front of her to generate a large purple lightning wave that she would then fire at her enemies. This may have killed Tommy and Anara had they not dived out of a window.
Powers and Abilities
- Strength: Scorpina was even more powerful in her giant scorpion form, being able to take on and easily overpower the Megazord. A single kick from her knocked back the Megazord and a jump kick sent the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord falling to the ground.
- Durability: Scorpina is far more durable in her monster form since being struck by the energized Power Sword and Thunder Saber, as well as a fireball from the White Tigerzord only made her and Goldar fall down. Even the Thunder Ultrazord's lasers just took her down and she was able to retreat.
- Teleportation: Scorpina is able to teleport like before in her original form.
- Hand to Hand Combat: Scorpina retains her hand-to-hand combat skills like before in her original form.
- Fast Reactions: During her first battle as a giant, Scorpina was able to catch the Dino Megazord's fist in her pincer claw mid-swing.
to be added
- Scorpion Fin: Scorpina retained her fin blade for combat even in this form.
- Scorpion Claw: Scorpina had a massive golden scorpion claw for a left hand that she can use to both bash her enemies with or catch the Megazord's fist within it.
- Claw Barrage: Scorpina could fire a barrage of yellow energy blasts from her scorpion claw capable of critically damaging three of the Dinozords with one hit. When combined with Goldar’s fire vision, it took down the Thunder Megazord and forced the White Tigerzord back into its default Tiger Mode.
- Tail: Scorpina had a long tail with a barb at the end when she is in this form.
- Electrocution: Scorpina could wrap her tail around the Megazord's neck and electrocute it with light yellow electricity.
- Explosions: Scorpina could cause massive explosions around the White Tigerzord just by thrusting her tail at it but it just ran through them.
Powers and Abilities
- Power: In her colossal metallic form, Scorpina was one of the most powerful enemies in Power Rangers history capable of defeating an army of Power Rangers and S.P.D. officers. Only Lokar surpassed her in terms of power.
- Strength: Scorpina was far stronger than before since she was able to send Tommy flying into a wall with a single backhanded strike which also forced his helmet to vanish as well as pick up and hold J.J. in one hand.
- Ground Slam: Scorpina could bring both of her arms up over her head and slam them down to generate a massive shockwave capable of blowing away at least five people with one hit.
- Durability: Scorpina was more durable than either of her previous forms since multiple shots from the weapons of Space Patrol Delta as well as the Senturion Synergizer had utterly no effect on her.
- Equilibrium: Scorpina was completely un-fazed when the ground shook due to Lokar's arrival.
to be added
to be added
- Clawed Fists: Scorpina's ultimate form had no weapons of any kind but did have fists with giant claws that allowed her to use her immense strength at insane degrees and strike her enemies.
Appearances: Soul of the Dragon
Behind the Scenes
- Scorpina was portrayed in US footage by Sabrina Lu who was unable to stay with the show due to scheduling conflicts, resulting in the character disappearing from the series during the second season when a new actress could not be found on time.
- Although Scorpina did not appear on any Mighty Morphin Power Rangers episodes after "Goldar's Vice-Versa", she was credited in the closing credits in subsequent (and prior) episodes with Wendee Lee playing her.
to be added
to be added
- Scorpina was the first villain to change to a different form when growing giant.
- During production, Scorpina was originally going to be called "Scorpira."
- The stinger-like ponytail and boots for Scorpina's giant monster form were later combined with a horned helmet-engraved head, the left hand and some of the arm fur of unused Kakuranger monster Bakeneko and a generic custom made body to form Plague Patrol #1.