|This article is about a/an ranger in Power Rangers S.P.D.|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Split History
- 3 Family Members
- 4 Personality
- 5 Genetic Power(s)
- 6 Ranger Powers
- 7 Ranger Key
- 8 Behind the Scenes
- 9 Notes
- 10 Appearances
- 11 See Also
- 12 References
As a child, Sky looked up to his father, who was a former S.P.D. Red Ranger. From him, he acquired his father's power (as a result of an experimental accident) to create offensive and defensive force fields. Sky was present at the hospital when his father was killed in battle against a monster genius named Mirloc. The doctor gave Sky his father's battle damaged helmet, which Sky kept as a memento. Although Mirloc was later captured and imprisoned, his role in Commander Tate's death was never revealed to Sky. Since then, he was inspired to be just like his father and become a Red Ranger.
Sky joined S.P.D. and was top on B-Squad on weapons and fighting, along with his alien friend Dru. Abiding by S.P.D.'s rules and regulations, Sky was very neat and precise. Yet, with this attitude, he became arrogant and believed himself to be above everyone else that broke the rules when he himself did everything precisely to the book. He was usually the first one to be hard on teammate Bridge Carson's habits and ways of thinking, but Sky would always apologize he was wrong in areas where Bridge was right. As time went on, Sky began to loosen up and enjoy life more, though he always kept himself battle ready when called upon. Despite his attitude, his teammates thought highly of him, calling him the best Ranger.
S.P.D. Blue Ranger
- "Blue?! I'm blue?! I'm supposed to be the Red Ranger!"
- ―Sky after morphing for the first time[src]
For someone who was first in his class, Sky made very few critical mistakes early on, including and without limitation, allowing a crate of diamonds to be confiscated by the Troobians (giving them a near limitless energy supply) and allowing Dru, who was turned-enemy, into the Academy without the necessary re-evaluations in an attempt to assassinate Cruger. However, all was well in the end, and Sky usually got off the hook with just some simple chores as punishment.
When A-Squad went missing on a mission, Commander Cruger had Tate - along with B-Squad cadets Bridge and Sydney Drew - step up as protectors of Earth. Unfortunately, Sky's pride got in the way and Cruger picked him to be the S.P.D. Blue Ranger and second-in-command. Sky was not happy about this, especially when he found out Jack Landors, a former thief Sky had tried to capture, was made the Red Ranger. Sky challenged Jack's authority in the beginning but eventually accepted him as his leader.
Face-off against Mirloc
- "This one's for you, Dad. S.P.D. EMERGENCY!"
- ―Sky morphing into the S.P.D. Red Ranger for the first time[src]
When the team was faced with several criminals they had already captured, Sky was assigned to seek advice about the monster's identity from Mirloc, who only wanted Sky to tell his most painful memory as payment. After capturing the criminal (an alien that had copied other monsters), Sky returned and told Mirloc of his most painful memory - the death of his father. Mirloc said it was the best story he ever heard, and Sky shed a tear, which (as it was a reflective substance) allowed Mirloc to escape. Sky later found out that Mirloc was the one who killed his father.
Sky was furious at Cruger for not revealing his father's death truthfully to him and sought out Mirloc with the other Rangers. They were imprisoned in a mirror by Mirloc but were saved by Sam, the Omega Ranger. Mirloc was still confident in his abilities and called Sky and his father worthless because they couldn't defeat him. It was then that Jack thought Sky should be the one to bring Mirloc in, but felt he needed to do it as Red Ranger, and he gave Sky his morpher so that he could use the new Battlizer technology against this powerful foe. In a brilliant display, Sky captured Mirloc. Although it was an honor to be the Red Ranger, Sky had realized that heroes came in all colors, and returned the morpher to Jack.
After going through extensive S.W.A.T. training on Zantor to acquire S.W.A.T. Mode, he discovered the importance of his team. With teamwork, they were able to even defeat the renegade A-Squad.
When Ethan touched a glowing rock, he saw himself becoming a Dino Ranger. However, he also had a vision seeing the morphed SPD Blue Ranger summoning the Delta Squad Megazord. In 2025, Broodwing uses the Dino Gems to bring the Dino Rangers to the future where they meet the S.P.D. Rangers. Cruger insists that the Dino Rangers remain in the Delta Base to avoid problems with the timeline, but when Emperor Gruumm launches his biggest attack yet, the S.P.D. Rangers may be in over their heads so Conner , Kira and Ethan assist the S.P.D Rangers while fighting Sky teamed up with Ethan. Time later, Gruumm travels into the past at the year 2004 and recruits Zeltrax in his plan to conquer the Earth before the formation of S.P.D. Gruumm and Mora watch as the rest of the S.P.D. Rangers show up and join forces with the Dino Rangers once again. Tommy and Doggie meet for the first time and lead the Rangers against their opponents. Kira, Syd, and Z team up to display girl power while Sam and Trent work together using White Ranger power. Bridge, Ethan, and Sky display teamwork once again, Tommy and Cruger, defeat Zeltrax just before he retreats. Jack and Conner both activate their Battlizers to take out Mora's creations. The Power Rangers assemble the Z-Rex Blaster and the Canine Cannon to finish off the Foot Soldiers. Before the S.P.D. Rangers return to the future, Doggie erases their and the Dino Rangers' memories.
When Jack left S.P.D. after Emperor Gruumm's defeat, Doggy Cruger amassed the team in the Delta Base’s command center where everyone was surprised but Z admitted that Jack is one only to stay around as long as necessary before he moves on. Doggy tried to promote them to A-Squad but the B-Squad declined due to professional pride and the treachery of their predecessors at which point Cruger permanently retired the A-Squad position. However, knowing that the team was leaderless, Doggy called Sky forth and asked him it he’d follow Syd should he make her the new Red Ranger. Sky asserted that he’d respect the choice and follow anyone Cruger decided was worthy. Realising that his Blue Ranger had finally gotten over his snooty and bullheaded nature, Cruger promoted Sky to the B-Squad Red Ranger and told him that his father would be proud. Bridge would step up to Sky's original position as Blue Ranger and they left to see Jack leave with Ally and Piggy on the next part of their lives.
Two years later, his teammate Bridge had become the new S.P.D. Red Ranger and explained that Cruger was promoted to the position of Supreme Commander of S.P.D. following Birdie's retirement. Therefore, Sky was also promoted to Cruger's former position as the new Commander of the Earth S.P.D. base.
Sky returned with his fellow S.P.D. Rangers as part of the army of Legendary Rangers that helped the Mega Rangers defeat the Armada once and for all, fighting in a huge battle against hundreds of X Borgs and dozens of Bruisers. It is presumed that he traveled from a time when he is still the S.P.D Blue Ranger.
Soul of the Dragon
|This section contains Expanded Universe material|
|This section contains story elements expanded upon after the show aired. These expansions happened in other media and do not contradict events (non-canon), and are not considered alternate canon. This is here to recognize cross-media efforts to develop the franchise history further than the original material.|
|View • Edit|
Having replaced Doggie Cruger as the commander of Space Patrol Delta's Earth base, Sky had since passed the mantle of Red Ranger to his former teammate, Bridge. Lina Song, the Green Ranger at the time of Sky's promotion, was then promoted to Blue Ranger, leaving a vacancy in the team which would later be filled by J.J. Oliver. Sometime after his promotion to Red Ranger, Sky's face became scarred.
Sky took his responsibilities as commander very seriously, even going so far as to conceal important information about J.J. from his father, Tommy, so that J.J. could maintain his cover on a mission.
Much like his predecessor, Sky was allowed to take up Ranger duties in addition to commanding the B-Squad, and so he assumed the designation of S.P.D. Deka Ranger.
When events set into motion by Lord Drakkon caused the timeline to split into pocket universe, each anchored on a powerset, the B-Squad Rangers were split off into their own pocket universe. Lord Drakkon then attacked them. Sky fends off an attack by Lord Drakkon, alongside the B-Squad and C-Squad, despite being depowered by the Black Dragon Cannon. He was later seen leading the battle against Lord Drakkon's Sentries on the Moon in the World of the Coinless
When the timeline was restored, so was Sky.
- Officer Tate - Father (deceased)
- Unnamed Mother
Sky's initial personality and character traits can be traced back to the relationship he had with his father. Sky saw his father as THE Red Ranger and after his death, the young kid aspired to be a Red Ranger just like him. During his time in the academy, Sky developed a friendship with Dru, which was seen as the only time when Sky really acted more casually in front of others. Sky was determined and focused on his goal, becoming the top student in the academy. Unfortunately, his desire to be the Red Ranger blinded him and made him arrogant, believing himself to be better than everyone else, even talking bad about his fellow S.P.D. cadets when they were considered by Cruger as candidates for the Red Ranger position.
When Cruger made Jack Landors the new Red Ranger, Sky was furious, feeling that he deserved more the honor of being the Red Ranger than some guy who didn't even trained at the academy, while initially they were both hostile trowards each other, they eventually stopped fighting for the sake of the team. Sky came to respect Jack as seen when he through that he died stopping a meteor, Sky later even started to think of Jack as a good leader and a great friend. During his time as the Blue Ranger, Sky started to open up and become a little less strict, finding a new understanding of his team and developing a strong friendship with them.
Sky also had insecurities, as seen when he faced the monster Mirloc, believing himself to not be good enough to capture the monster after he let him escape, thankfully he was able to reclaim his confidence when he captured Mirloc while morphed into the S.P.D. Red Ranger (thanks to Jack handing him off his morpher), he later was able to beat his A-Squad counterpart proving that both him and his team were the better heroes.
After Jack leaves S.P.D. Sky was finally made the new Red Ranger thanks to his growth both as a cadet and as a person, he eventually would even rise up to Cruger's former position as the new Commander of the Earth S.P.D. base.
- Shield Projection: Sky inherited his parents power to create powerful shields. They can be used defensively, e.g as a barrier, or offensively, e.g; to cut off an opponent's oxygen supply or as a force of propulsion.
Appearances: S.P.D. Episode 25
Morph and Roll Call
The S.P.D. Blue Ranger Key is Sky's personal Ranger Key. This key along with the majority of the Core Ranger Keys are seen lining the Command Center's interior walls. This key is mainly used by Noah Carver (Super Megaforce Blue) who uses it to fight as the S.P.D. Blue Ranger.
- When the Super Mega Rangers became the S.P.D. Rangers while fighting Tentacus.
- When the Super Mega Rangers became the S.P.D. Rangers in their fight with Cybax.
Behind the Scenes
- Sky is played by Chris Violette, his suit actors in Super Sentai footage from Dekaranger is played by Yasuhiko Imai (今井 靖彦 Imai Yasuhiko) & Yoshifumi Oshikawa (押川 善文 Oshikawa Yoshifumi). In US/NZ footage, his suit actor is Takahiro Honma (本間 崇寛 Honma Takahiro) and his stunt double is Akihiro Haga (羽賀 亮洋 Haga Akihiro). The child actor is unknown of as today.
- As one of the five B-Squad Rangers, Sky featured in his own specially filmed profile short released by Jetix to promote S.P.D.. Called upon by Anubis Cruger, Sky states his name, rank and genetic powers.
- Sky is the first Ranger to be jealous of another Ranger's position.
- In the episode Idol, Commander Cruger refers to Sky as Commander Blake, with that, his full name could be Schuyler Blake Tate.
- In a flashback during the Reflections episode, Sky's father, in his morphed form, looked like the Red Time Force Ranger, though it has often been debated since the episode aired; people are unsure if that it was Wes or not. However, Sky's father could still be a different character with a similar uniform to Wes.
- As Wes and Eric were the only Time Force Rangers to remain in 2001 when S.P.D. was first formed, it may be theoretical that the first S.P.D. Ranger uniforms were based off these two Rangers' costumes. It could also mean that Bio-Lab from Time Force was involved in the creation of S.P.D. technology.
- Outside of the universe, this was because the producers decided to recycle some old Power Rangers props, with this being arguably the most obvious example.
- The suit of Sky's Deka Ranger form in the comics sports an arrow next to the X, as a reference to his father's Ranger suit.
- Sky utilizes a police helicopter, possibly playing off his nickname.
- He is the 2nd Blue Ranger to get an aircraft-based Zord.
- In the Japanese dub of Power Rangers S.P.D., Sky is voiced by Tsuyoshi Hayashi, the actor of his Sentai counterpart.
- In broadcast order, Sky is the first Red Ranger whose father was also a Red Ranger. However, due to S.P.D. being set in 2025 and Samurai being set in 2011 and Ninja Steel being set in 2017, Jayden and Brody preceded him chronologically.
- Sky is the first Blue Ranger to become a Red Ranger, if one does not count T.J. resuming his duties as the Red Turbo Ranger in “Forever Red.”
- Sky is also the first second-in-command Blue Ranger since Chad Lee.
- The naming of Sky's Deka Ranger form is a clear homage to Dekaranger, the Super Sentai series which S.P.D. is derived.
- As explained by Jason Bischoff, Deka also denotes a factor of ten, derived from the Greek déka (δέκα) meaning "ten." Sky's insignia 'X' is the Roman Numeral for the number 10, following the convention seen in both Omega (VI) and Nova (M). In addition, a red arrow is featured in honor of his father.
- In Dekaranger, the “X” was sported by the Ranger DekaGold, who exclusively featured in Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger the Movie: Full Blast Action.
- The “X” in Deka Ranger's chest armor resembles that of Kamen Rider Decade, who is likewise associated to the number “10.”
- The Deka Ranger may be seen as a nod to the debunked long-standing fan theory that Sky became the new Shadow Ranger when he succeeded Anubis Cruger as commander, as elements from the Shadow Ranger's suit were incorporated into the Deka Ranger's design.
- Jason Bischoff, the former Global Franchise Director for Power Rangers, released in Twitter in 2020 of a pitch concept of the S.P.D. Fire Squad. Expanding Sky's story of being the Chief Commander of Earth's Space Patrol Delta and him assuming the role of the Deka Ranger, one of the purposed abilities of the Deka Ranger is to ‘spectrum shift’ between the colors Red & Blue; each form with its own set of abilities.
- Houji Tomasu - Super Sentai counterpart in Dekaranger. See comparison page.
- Banban Akaza - Sentai counterpart after promoted to Red.
- Tekkan Aira - Similar tragic past after some of their parents' death by the counterpart of their parents' murders. Also succeeded Doggie as commander of S.P.D. Earth, albeit temporarily.
- Marigold Utahime - Dekaranger with 'X' (10) motif.
- Jack Landors - The First S.P.D. Red Ranger.
- Bridge Carson - The Second S.P.D Blue Ranger and Third S.P.D Red Ranger.
- Lina Song - The Third Blue S.P.D Ranger powers in Power Rangers: Soul of the Dragon.