|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "Wow! Ho ho ho ho! (...) Let's look at you in a new light."
- ―Scatterbrain's first words upon being created.[src]
Scatterbrain was a kaleidoscope monster who served as the main antagonist of the episode "When is a Ranger Not a Ranger?."
Scatterbrain is created from a kaleidoscope that Adam used in his class presentation as part of a plan by Lord Zedd to erase the Ranger's memories that would leave Earth defenseless as a result. Once the monster is born, Scatterbrain ambushes Kimberly, Billy, and Tommy and erases their memories. Rocky, Adam, and Aisha devise a plan to save their friends by using prisms to refract the light and reform the Rangers' memories. However, Scatterbrain soon returns to the countryside outside Angel Grove after they have a run-in with Goldar and the Putties. As such, Rocky and Aisha go to preoccupy the monster whilst Adam and Billy collect two prisms from Billy's lab. Rocky and Aisha soon stumble across Scatterbrain who is surprised at the absence of Adam and Billy. The two morph but Scatterbrain fires on them and they narrowly avoid his memory erasing ray and the explosion it causes. Adam finds the prisms and teleports to the grasslands, but Scatterbrain uses his beam on him and erases Adam's memory almost immediately after he arrives. As the last two Rangers remaining, Rocky and Adam try to secure the prisms by charging for the prisms, but they immediately fall victim to Scatterbrain's beam and lose their memories.
The prisms fall to the ground in front of Bulk and Skull who have been on a stakeout in the area and have watched the fight, discovering the identites of the Power Rangers. With the Rangers now completely amnesiac and helpless, Bulk and Skull confront the monster whilst hiding the prisms behind their backs. Scatterbrain is unafraid as he has decided to take the Rangers back to Lord Zedd, but Bulk and Skull dare him to "draw", which a frustrated Scatterbrain accepts. Scatterbrain shoots his beam at them but the prisms reflect the beams and restore the Rangers' memories. However, when the Rangers go to check on Bulk and Skull right after, the two teens have lost their memories of saving the Power Rangers and their true identities. With his scheme in pieces, Lord Zedd grows Scatterbrain to giant-size with a Growth Bomb so the Rangers summon the Thunderzords and form the Thunder Megazord. Now utilizing a sword, Scatterbrain tries to slice it in half but is overwhelmed and impaled by the Thunder Saber before being thrown to the ground and slain by the Thunder Saber.
Scatterbrain was a cunning and intelligent monster, as he managed to erase the Rangers' memories with trickery.
Powers and Abilities
- Teleportation: Scatterbrain could charge green mist-like energy into his right fist and then engulf himself with it to teleport away.
- Memory Ray: Scatterbrain's signature ability where he fired a large multicolored light swirl from around his face which would shatter his victims into pieces and then reassemble them without memory of who they are.
- Explosive: Scatterbrain's memory erasing ray could also have explosive effects as seen when he was trying to hit Rocky and Aisha with it.
to be added
- Prisms: If Scatterbrain fired his memory ray at a prism, it would affect the holder but also undo the last memory erasing he did on his victims.
- Sword: When enlarged, Scatterbrain wielded a large broadsword in battle.
Behind the Scenes
- Scatterbrain was voiced by Mike Reynolds.
- He is based on a kaleidoscope.
- His name is a reference to the term "scatterbrain".
- Scatterbrain was one of the few villains who bested the Power Rangers. His loss stemmed from efforts by Bulk and Skull.
- Scatterbrain was the first example of a Sentai-derived monster appearing in US footage with the only Japanese footage used being his Zord fight.