|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "Ah ha ha! Thanks for the snack!"
- ―The Saliguana's first words upon being created.[src]
Saliguana was an iguana/salamander monster who served as the main antagonist of the episode "Putty on the Brain."
Saliguana was created by Lord Zedd from Miss Appleby's iguana as part of a plan to destroy the Power Rangers. The plan was for Saliguana to attack the Rangers whilst the Rangers were in fighting since Zedd had enchanted Zack and Billy to see their friends as Putties. He was created shortly after Bulk and Skull fed him and terrorized them to the point that they fled before he teleported away. Zedd later sent him to Angel Grove Beach which he attacked to lure out the Rangers where he summoned some Z-Putties to aid him. The monster proved to have an amazingly powerful fire breath capable of wiping all five Rangers but, because of his iguana half, Saliguana was cold-blooded and therefore his powers could be weakened by cooler temperatures. Zack and Billy had to fight him alone in the quarry whilst the others fought off the Putty Patrol, Zack managing to knock him down with a spiral kick to the stomach. The monster then recovered and tried to take on Zack only to get gut punched and kicked through the air. Zack and Billy regrouped, the former calling him nothing which prompted Saliguana to blast them with his fire. However, they just rolled away from it and Zack produced an ice extinguisher. Saliguana decided to barbecue him only for the Ice Device to fail due to a missing computer chip and the two to get blasted off of their feet. Billy then tried to defend Zack but was absolutely no match and grabbed Billy around the neck only for Zack to spiral kick him to the ground. With a brief moment of respite, Billy realized the flaw with the design and luckily had brought a spare microchip after prompts from Trini. The added microchip got the Ice Device working and Zack finally extinguished his flame breath mid-stream. With the monster helpless but angry, the Rangers regrouped only for the monster to charge enraged so they formed the Power Blaster. Saliguana was unfazed afraid but they fired anyway which easily defeated him.
However, Saliguana was not destroyed and only knocked on his face which allowed Zedd to make him grow with a Growth Bomb. The monster planned to rip Angel Grove to pieces so the Rangers called the Thunderzords and confronted him with the Red Dragon Thunderzord in Warrior Mode. Saliguana then tried to fry it with his fire breath but only knocked it back to his utter shock. The Rangers then formed the Thunderzord Assault Team which the Red Dragon Thunderzord leapt into and Saliguana tried to incinerate but it just barrel rolled through the blasts. With the monster still stunned and getting gradually angrier, the Rangers formed the Thunder Megazord. The monster then wrapped it up with his tongue in an apparent attempt to eat it but the Rangers cut his tongue apart with the Thunder Saber. It turns out that the tongue was so tight that the monster was literally knocked to the ground which gave the Rangers the chance to energize the finishing move. Saliguana was apparently unafraid, claiming that it'd take more than this attack to finish him but a single energy slash finished him off. Saliguana stumbled around whilst erupting with red lightning before falling on his face and exploding. Because Zedd's magic was lifted by the monster's explosion, Saliguana reverted back to being Miss Appleby's iguana, whom Bulk and Skull attempted to use to track down the Rangers in a failed attempt (although it did clear out everyone but the Power Rangers, Bulk and Skull, and Miss Appleby).
Trumpet Top summoned an illusionary Saliguana to wear out the Power Rangers enough that Lord Zedd would easily be able to destroy them. After Zack and Billy were beaten down by the Mantis, Kimberly and Trini took on Saliguana and swung at him but he blocked their fists and jump kicked both down. Due to not really being there, Saliguana alongside the Grumble Bee, Fighting Flea, the Soccadillo, the Rhinoblaster, the Mantis, the Stag Beetle and the Slippery Shark managed to "beat them" until they were worn out completely. However, Zordon saw through the plan, making the illusionary monsters cease to exist.
Saliguana was later re-created by Finster to battle the Rangers in the Specter Theater. After fighting them, Saliguana attended Zedd and Rita's wedding, bringing them a human skull as a wedding gift while also interacting with Snizzard. When the monsters attacked the Rangers, Saliguana was destroyed, by the Thunder Megazord once again.
Saliguana was cunning, arrogant, and tricky monster who was also very proud of his species although he was also faithful to Rita and Zedd.
Powers and Abilities
- Strength: Saliguana could send the Rangers flying with single slashes of his claws.
- Durability: Being assaulted by the Power Blaster made Saliguana fall down but did not destroy him.
- Flame Breath: Saliguana's signature ability where he breathes extremely hot orange flames from his gullet. This attack took down all six Rangers in one blast and could only be countered by Zack's Ice Device.
- Skilled Fighter: Saliguana easily overwhelmed the six Rangers with little trouble.
- Tongue Extension: Saliguana can fire his tongue forth like a whip as a way of attacking his enemies. He could also tie up his enemies with it as shown when he did this to the Thunder Megazord.
- Claws: Saliguana had razor sharp claws that he can use in combat.
- Vulnerability to Low Temperatures: Being a lizard-type monster, Saliguana could be easily defeated by hitting him with cold air which rendered his fire breath useless.
Behind The Scenes
- In his first two appearances, Saliguana was voiced by John C. Hyke in his first role in the franchise. During "The Wedding," he was voiced by the late Bob Papenbrook.
- Saliguana comes from what is commonly referred to as Zyu2 footage, and was not seen in the original Zyuranger.
- Saliguana was intended to be destroyed by the original Megazord's Power Sword and the remnants of this can be seen in both of his Zord fights since the red energy slash associated with the original Megazord's finishing move hits him instead of the Thunder Saber's yellow energy slices.
- Saliguana did not fight Tommy in his episode because he was not featured in the Zyu2 episode. In universe, the reason given was that he needed to recharge due to his limited powers and the fight never got so rough that his assistance was required.
- Sometime after The Wedding, Saliguana's suit was either butchered or fell to pieces. Part of his head was later modified for the alien Tritor in the Power Rangers Zeo episode King for a Day which is why he did not appear in Countdown to Destruction.