|This article is about a/an ranger/crossover character in the Power Rangers franchise.|
|"It's Morphin Time! Crimson Hawk!"|
|―Ryu's morph call[src]|
Ryu is the main character from the popular Capcom video game franchise, Street Fighter. In the games Power Rangers Legacy Wars and Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, he is able to access the Morphin Grid to become the Crimson Hawk Ranger (formerly known as the Ryu Ranger).
As a very young child, Ryu was orphaned and left with no memories about his parents, and whether they were still alive. He was found and adopted by a man named Gouken who raised Ryu in his secluded dojo and trained Ryu in the ways of his martial arts. Shortly afterwards, Gouken would later train his best friend's spoiled son, Ken Masters. Ken served not only as a sparring partner, but also gave Ryu a friend in the form of a boy his own age. Ryu looked up to Gouken as a father figure, and regards Ken as his best friend and surrogate brother, a relationship which remains to this day.
When Ryu turned 23 years old, Gouken believed that Ryu was ready to travel the world in order to test and hone his martial skills against the best fighters from around the world. With this, Ryu left Gouken's dojo, and headed to fight in the first World Warrior tournament. After defeating all challengers, Ryu's skills earn him the right to fight its host, Sagat. Sagat nearly beats Ryu into unconsciousness and, thinking he had won, drops his guard to help Ryu up. Ryu, however, was engulfed by dark powers, the Satsui no Hado, and strikes Sagat with a nearly-fatal Metsu Shoryuken that not only knocks Sagat unconscious, but also marks his chest with a great scar, and even unknowingly infected him with the Dark Hado as well. After regaining consciousness and discovering what had happened, Sagat swears vengeance on Ryu.
In an alternate timeline set after the Shadow Falls episode of Street Fighter V, Ryu was taken to another world against his will and started to be chased by various Rangers. He's fights a version of the Black Dino Thunder Ranger, who seeks to kill him. Ryu beats him before being struck from behind by the Time Force Pink Ranger, only to be saved by Chun-Li, who pushes the Pink Ranger back with her Lightning Kick.
As the two warriors regroup, the Rangers are joined by the Red Mighty Morphin Ranger and the Phantom Ranger. The two are then teleported away to a mysterious temple where they meet Tommy Oliver and Gia Moran, the two Rangers tell Ryu that his old rival M. Bison is working with the witch Rita Repulsa to create Evil Rangers and that they need to find their ally Ninjor, Tommy then gives Ryu the Crimson Hawk Power Coin made by Ninjor before going to a rundown factory.
Once there the four find Ninjor on the ground, weak. He warns them too late of M. Bison, who grabs Ryu and tosses him aside before beckoning the others to fight. Ryu, Tommy and Gia then all morph, with the World Warrior becoming the Ryu Ranger. Tommy has the Rangers prepare for the final blow as the three Rangers deliver an energy blast, seemingly defeating Bison. However, Bison gets up as he claims to have an army at his disposal. The dictator then suddenly summons various Rangers by his side, all of them ready to fight. Tommy then asks if Ryu's ready for Round Two, which he declares he always is before going to fight the Evil Rangers.
to be added
Crimson Hawk Ranger
- Crimson Hawk Power Coin
- Power Morpher
- Rise Hadoken- An enhanced form of the Hadoken attack that uses Ryu's Hado and combines it with his coin's power from the Morphin Grid to create a energy construct of a hawk that attacks the target.
- Tatsumaki S.- Ryu's feet glow hot with energy and then he executes a flying tornado of spinning kicks. Once enhanced by the Ranger powers, his kicking power can do 5 times as much damage as it normally would.
Behind the Scenes
- In Power Rangers Legacy Wars - Street Fighter Showdown, Ryu is portrayed by Peter Jang, who reprises his role from Super Power Beat Down, which continues their tradition of featuring non-canon crossover battles between two otherwise unrelated characters, this time between characters from Power Rangers and Street Fighter.
- Power Rangers Legacy Wars erroneously classifies Crimson Hawk Ranger as a Gold Ranger.
- Ryu's Crimson Hawk Ranger design seemingly incorporates elements of the White Ranger's body suit, Green Ranger's Dragon Shield and Super Sentai's Red Hawk with the bird motif helmet. Further linking the coincidental Jetman counterpart idea is the Power Coin's animal actually being a reddish hawk.
- At SDCC 2018, Udon Entertainment and Capcom showed off concept drawings of Ryu's costume during the planning stages. Three early designs had elements of past Rangers in them. The first suit took visual elements from Ninja Storm, the second had elements of Ninja Steel and the third was a mix of Mighty Morphin and Jungle Fury. All four series are based heavily around martial arts, so it fit Ryu's character, but ultimately all three were not chosen for the final design.
- Formerly, "Ryu Ranger" shared his name (phonetically at least) with Ryuu Ranger, Ryo of the Heavenly Fire Star. They also share some other similarities, such as being martial artist heroes, red being a part of their color palette, the manipulation of Ki, and the use of said Ki for fire/fire-like attacks.
- In Ryu's story mode for Battle for the Grid the events of the Legacy Wars short film are referenced.