|This article is about a/an Ranger in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Power Rangers Zeo.|
Retroactively, he is also referred to as the Mighty Morphin Red Ranger or Red Mighty Morphin Ranger, as well as Zeo Blue Ranger or Blue Zeo Ranger though these are in reference to the show, as opposed to proper labels.
|This article contains content in reference to the main TV series, as well as supplemental material, such as the comics. A sliding/floating timeline applies. Story instances for TV and other media will be clearly marked.|
Stone Canyon Trio
Rocky first met Tommy Oliver, Kimberly Hart, and Billy Cranston (the Mighty Morphin White, Pink, and Blue Rangers respectively) after saving a baby along with his friends Adam Park and Aisha Campbell. The three of them lived in Stone Canyon, California and were visiting Angel Grove to represent Stone Canyon in the Team Ninja Competition. Because of his skill as a martial artist, Rocky became an immediate target of Lord Zedd once he defeated his prospective future Dark Rangers (the cruel ninjas in black that he and his friends went up against) and chose them instead. Along with Adam and Aisha, ended up kidnapped and thrown in the Dimension of Despair, along with their favorite Stone Canyon teacher, Mr. Anderson.
Luckily, the Power Rangers came to rescue them just in time, but not before Rocky, Adam, and Aisha discovered the Rangers' identities when Tommy and Kimberly had to take off Billy's helmet after Billy fought with the Serpent of Darkness, and when Billy's identity was revealed, Kimberly and Tommy took off their own helmets, seeing no further harm in doing so. Rocky, Adam, and Aisha were later taken to the Command Center to meet Zordon and were sworn to secrecy. Rocky (along with Adam and Aisha) eventually moved to Angel Grove permanently.
Rocky was chosen to replace Jason Lee Scott as the Red Mighty Morphin Power Ranger after Jason, and his fellow Rangers Trini Kwan, and Zack Taylor were selected to attend the peace conference in Geneva, Switzerland. Rocky was entrusted with the powers of the Tyrannosaurus Power Coin and the Red Dragon Thunderzord. In addition, he became second-in-command of the team.
In Season 3, Rocky went through one of the most disastrous events for a Red Ranger (despite him not being the leader) when the Thunderzords were destroyed by Rito Revolto and his band of monsters, thus also destroying the original Dinozords and damaging the Power Coins beyond use. Rocky later gained new Ninja powers of the Ape, becoming the Red Ninja Ranger. As a Ninja Ranger, he could perform slide-teleportation, the decoy suit trick, and other Ninja powers. Also, like the other Ninja Rangers, he gained powers unique to his animal: In Rocky's case, enhanced strength and the ability to quickly climb up surfaces. Rocky also gained the ability to pilot the Red Ape Ninjazord, as well as the Red Shogunzord. He was also later granted the power of the Metallic Armor. During this time in his Ranger career, Rocky twice had to face a monster that had incapacitated the entire team by himself, feeling responsible for the creation of Marvo the Meanie and forced to face Centiback by himself after the other Rangers were temporarily turned into footballs by the monster in question.
The Rangers managed to get the Zeo Crystal, but wanted to make sure that Master Vile couldn't get it again, so the Rangers split it into five sub-crystals and sent them to different points in history.
Vile then turned back time using the Orb of Doom, turning the Rangers back into children. The Rangers soon recruited the Alien Rangers to fight in their stead. Billy had then created a device which would restore their them to their old selves. He used the Ninja Coins as a power source, testing it on himself. This worked, but it allowed Rito & Goldar to capture the coins and Rita & Zedd destroyed them.
Rocky's quest for his sub-crystal took him back to Mexico, where he met a young boy who was actually a younger version of his grandfather. The sub-crystal turned out to be the maw of a near active volcano. With some climbing equipment, Rocky retrieved the crystal before the volcano erupted. Bidding farewell to his grandfather and the village, Rocky was the first to return to the present with his crystal.
All the Rangers returned with their sub-crystals, save Aisha, who chose to stay in Africa and help save the animals there; she sent a young girl named Tanya Sloan in her place and also took the Yellow Zeo Crystal. When he returned back to his adulthood the second time, Rocky and the others had to escape the doomed Command Center from a planted bomb by Rito and Goldar. From the wreckage, the Rangers found the Zeo Crystal and the entrance to the Power Chamber, where Zordon and Alpha were still alive. However, a new threat to Earth came in the form of King Mondo and his Machine Empire.
With their old powers destroyed, the Rangers had to harness the Zeo Crystal for new powers to battle the empire. The Triangle sub-crystal allowed Rocky to become Zeo Ranger III Blue. During this time, Rocky faced a new set of villains and adventures. He also became fast friends with Tanya, along with helping her adjust as an adult (as she was a child when she first arrived). Rocky took up an interest in baseball, which Mondo once used to get rid of him. When Mondo and the Empire started getting stronger, Rocky and the Zeo Rangers were assisted by the mysterious Gold Ranger. At first, Rocky and the others assumed Billy was the Ranger (as Billy retired), but it was later revealed he was an alien named Trey, from the planet Triforia. When Trey's powers were threatened, as Billy couldn't take on the powers, Rocky's predecessor, Jason Lee Scott, came back to assume the powers.
With Jason as the Gold Ranger, Rocky soon began to feel left out and also felt he was being replaced by the Ranger he replaced, as everyone seemed to want to do something with Jason instead of Rocky. Trying to prove his worth, he attempted to take on King Mondo by himself. It was only afterwards he realized he was an important part of the team, as well as a friend to Jason.
- "Yeah, but I got a lot of stuff to do in karate school and... I don't know. I think the power is in good hands."
- ―Rocky DeSantos leaving the Power Rangers.[src]
It's with this enthusiasm towards everything, that during a practice match, Rocky threw himself into a kick and wounded up landing and causing his spine to go further into his back, hurting him. While he recuperated in the hospital, his friends were facing a new danger and Zordon had to recruit a new Ranger of a young boy named Justin Stewart who Rocky chose to take his place. Rocky never begrudged the fact that he was unable to become the Blue Turbo Ranger. Instead, he was relieved that his era of being a Ranger was over. He also declares to Justin that his powers are in good hands. After seeing his friends off at graduation, Rocky opened up his own Karate School. After many years in service as a Ranger, Rocky is enjoying his post-Ranger life teaching karate.
Rocky returned as a Zeo Ranger with Tanya, Adam, Trey, and Kat, as part of the army of Legendary Rangers, led by Tommy as the Green Mighty Morphin Power Ranger. After retiring as a Ranger, it appears in the years that followed he has physically healed from the injuries he suffered. He then helped the Mega Rangers defeat the Armada once and for all, fighting in a huge battle against hundreds of X Borgs and dozens of Bruisers. It is currently unknown how he reclaimed his Zeo Ranger powers.
Super Ninja Steel
- "Your invasion ends here, Draven!"
- ―Dimensions in Danger
Rocky was kidnapped by Lord Draven along with Katherine Hillard, T.J. Johnson, Trent Fernandez-Mercer, Antonio Garcia, and Gia Moran and sent to his dimension. Lord Draven used them to make robotic clones of each Ranger. They were soon rescued by Wesley Collins, Gemma, Koda, Tommy and the Ninja Steel Rangers. Rocky joins the final fight with the Ninja Steel Rangers and the veteran Rangers using his restored Red Ranger powers. After the battle Brody Romero the Ninja Steel Red Ranger says that this team still has Madame Odius to take care of. Rocky tells him "she doesn't stand a chance, not with the Super Ninja Steel Rangers on her tail". Rocky returns to his dimension with the rest of the Rangers. With his powers fully restored meaning his Tyrannosaurus Power Coin was also restored since his Ape Ninja Coin was already destroyed by Rita and Zedd in the past.
When events set into motion by Lord Drakkon caused the timeline to split into pocket universe, each anchored on a powerset, the Zeo Rangers were split off into their own pocket universe. Rocky is in a battle before he joins the other Rangers for Jason's send-off. He had apparently held on to the Red Mighty Morphin Power Morpher and Power Coin and gave it to Jason as a commemoration, having kept it after the Thunderzords were destroyed. He shares with his team that he always wished he could have spent more time with Jason, and appreciated having him on the team as the Gold Zeo Ranger. He was later seen fighting against Lord Drakkon's Sentries. A Zeo Ranger's lifeless body was later seen laying on the ground, possibily being Rocky, as Tanya was on a rescue mission and Kat was still alive at the moment.
When the timeline is restored, so is Rocky.
After Shattered Grid
When the timeline reverts, Rocky still becomes the Mighty Morphin Red Ranger. He is an optimist, finding joy in things he accomplishes, even if they take a while to achieve. He can can be seen as the leader of the Stone Canyon trio, and sticks up for Adam and Aisha when Bulk and Skull get their names wrong and bully them for not answering their interview questions for Ranger Station. He also expresses excitement that they’ll be piloting Zords, and is confident that they’ll be good Rangers, saying that they’ve been training for years and that Zordon picked them. When Tommy takes them to the juice bar after training, Rocky accepts the criticism the trio received for making puns during the session, saying that they’re grown-ups who can handle it.
After receiving his powers, Rocky continued to train and fight against Zedd’s minions. When they were called to battle their first flying monster, Rocky helped to fight the waves of Putties on the London bridge, and ensured that there were no civilian casualties in the battle.
Dayne targeted Rocky’s insecurity of feeling lost or that he didn’t fit in with the Rangers, and when he attacked, Dayne blinded Rocky by covering his helmet with a thick substance. Rocky’s insecurity was heightened after the team had to be saved by the Omega Rangers, and he continued to show leadership and camaraderie with Aisha and Adam afterwards when Aisha and Kim got into an argument after Tommy is hurt. He calls out that they’re new at being Rangers, but that it shouldn’t take one of them coming close to dying for them to admit they’re in over their heads.
When the Omega Rangers reveal their identities, Rocky volunteers to go into space with them in order to track Kiya down. He tries to lighten the mood by joking about power levels on the trip, before their ship is attacked by Cavotus.When the Rangers are up against Dayne again, Rocky uses the jetting ability to catch Dayne off guard, a maneuver called Beta-7. The Stone Canyon prove themselves as Rangers by successfully taking down Dayne.
Video game appearances
Power Rangers Zeo vs The Machine Empire
Rocky appears as a playable character in Power Rangers Zeo vs The Machine Empire.
Power Rangers Key Scanner
Rocky as Zeo Ranger III - Blue, appears in the app videogame Power Rangers Key Scanner, amoung various other Rangers teams.
Rocky loved to have fun and enjoyed going to dances, carnivals, mystery parties, luaus, and hanging out at Ernie's. He was more than willing to join in a scavenger hunt, helping in clean-up projects, and even become a stuntman in a sci-fi movie. Rocky liked to stimulate his mind as well. He attempted to teach a chemistry class, enjoyed computer science, and botany classes and going to museums and learning about other cultures.
Rocky is a guy with a big appetite for both food and life and keeps his energy going by staying physically active. He enjoys working on his karate, running with the other guys, playing volleyball, football, snowboarding, even doing splits. He also channeled his energy into serving as a lifeguard.
- Rocko - Ancestor of 1880
- Unknown name - Great Grandfather (mentioned)
- Pablo DeSantos - Grandfather
- Mr. DeSantos - Father (mentioned)
- Mrs. DeSantos - Mother
- Joe Haley - Uncle
- Riley - Sister
- Unknown name - Sister
- Robin - Brother
- Raul - Brother
- Unknown name - Brother
As the Red Ranger of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Also retroactively known as Mighty Morphin Red Ranger or Red Mighty Morphin Ranger (unofficial titles). During Season 3, his suit changed slightly, showing the Ape Ninja Coin in his Morpher, rather than the Tyrannosaurus Power Coin.
- Wrist Communicator
- Power Morpher
- Blade Blaster
- Power Sword
- Red Shark Cycle
Appearances: MMPR S2 Episodes 28-38, 40-43, 46, 47, 49-52, MMPR S3 Episodes 1-4, 6-15, 18, 20-24, 26-33, SNS Episode 10
As The Red Ninja Ranger of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
- Super Speed: This allows the Rangers to move extremely fast and avoid attacks by their enemies. This also gives them the ability to leap to great heights quickly as seen by Rocky in Wizard for a Day. It has also been used by Rocky in Final Face-Off.
- Merging: This was first used by Rocky to merge with a tree. He then attacked the Tenga Warriors from inside the tree when they inspected the tree to figure out where he went in A Ranger Catastrophe.
- Decoy suit trick
Also, like the other Ninja Rangers, he gained powers unique to his animal: In Rocky's case, enhanced strength and the ability to quickly climb up surfaces.
Appearances: MMPR S3 Episodes 6, 8-10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 24, 25, 27
When the Red Ranger dons metallic armor, the white in his suit is replaced with a light silver coat. The red in his suit becomes metallic. In this form he can execute high speed martial arts moves with added metal-like impact.
Appearances: MMPR S3 Episodes 29-32
As Zeo Ranger III Blue of the Zeo Rangers.
- Wrist Communicator
- Blue Zeo Sub-Crystal
- Zeo Laser Pistol
- Zeo Power Tonfas
- Blue Zeo Jet Cycle
- Zeo III Spinning Power Punch; Rocky's signature attack as Zeo Ranger III when he jumps into the air and surrounds himself in a blue hamster ball like aura of energy before launching himself forward to slam into the enemy's chest. This was strong enough to destroy up to three Cogs with one hit and defeat Defector.
Appearances: Zeo Episodes 2-14, 16-22, 24-28, 30-41, 43-50, SM Episodes 20 & LBEV
Morph and Roll Call
The Zeo Ranger III Blue Key is Rocky's personal Ranger Key. This key along with the majority of the Core Ranger Keys are seen lining the Command Center's interior walls. This key is mainly used by Noah Carver (Super Megaforce Blue) who uses it to fight as Zeo Ranger III Blue.
- When the Super Mega Rangers became the Zeo Power Rangers while fighting Sirjinkor.
Power Rangers Zeo Calendar
- Rocky's birthdate is listed as April 1st
- His age is given as 18.
- Rocky's place of birth is stated to be San Diego
Appearances in other media
- A Red Ranger appears in Power Rangers Unite, though it is not specified if it is him or Jason Lee Scott.
- An alternate version of Rocky with a slightly altered history appears in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Mega Battle.
Behind the Scenes
- Rocky is played by Steve Cardenas.
- As the Mighty Morphin' Red Ranger, his suit actors were Erik Betts, Hien Nguyen, and Hiroshi Maeda (前田浩 Maeda Hiroshi).
- As the Blue Zeo Ranger, his suit actors were David Wald, Danny Wayne Stallcup, Toshi Hirosawa, and Hiro Koda. (And Yasuhiro Takeuchi (竹内 康博 Takeuchi Yasuhiro) in Super Sentai footage from Ohranger).
- Rocky is the only Ranger in Power Rangers to retire due to an injury.
- Rocky was the only Red Ranger that was introduced prior to Wild Force not to appear in Forever Red. His actor, Steve Cardenas, was contacted and agreed to be in the episode, but he was moving out of his home and could not find the schedule to appear.
- Forever Red writer Amit Bhaumik stated that had Rocky been in the episode, it would have only been in a civilian cameo as Tommy's butler, though he would have been implied to have still been the Blue Zeo Ranger. Rocky would have only participated in the battle as MMPR Red Ranger if Austin St. John proved unable to make filming. There is no in-universe explanation as to why Rocky was absent or was never contacted.
- Rocky was written off because Steve Cardenas wanted to leave the show to start his own karate school. This is reflected back onto his character's post-Ranger life.
- Rocky, along with Tommy, Billy, Adam, Kimberly and Jason are the only Rangers to appear in more than 100 episodes.
- Of the first three replacement Rangers, Rocky was the only one who fought in the same team with his predecessor.
- Rocky's season 3 morph sequence from Ninja to Red Ranger has an error. During the sequence, the Morpher does not open.
- Rocky is also the first second-in-command Blue Ranger.
- As Rocky returned during the Legendary Battle as Zeo Ranger III and as the second Mighty Morphin Red Ranger in Dimensions in Danger. How he reclaimed both powers is currently unknown.
- Rocky is the only other Ranger besides Tommy to battle King Mondo solo.
- Yamato Tribe Prince Geki - Super Sentai counterpart in Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. See comparison page. (as the Mighty Morphin Red Ranger)
- Ryo of the Heavenly Fire Star - Super Sentai counterpart in Dairanger. See comparison page. (equivalent Season 2 Red Ranger)
- Sasuke - Super Sentai counterpart in Kakuranger. See comparison page. (as the Season 3 Red Ranger)
- Yuji Mita - Super Sentai counterpart in Ohranger. See comparison page. (as Zeo Ranger III)
- Goro Sakurai - First Sentai Red to not be a leader.
- Daigoro Kumano - First replacement for a male Sentai Ranger.
- Takayuki Hiba - First replacement for a Sentai Red.
- Daigo of the Heavenly Phantom Star - Second-in-command of the Dairangers.
- Akira Shinmei - The original Sentai Blue as well as the first Blue Ranger to be Second-in-command.
- Shouhei Yokkaichi - Second-in-command of the Ohrangers.
- Diane Martin - The first Sentai Ranger to be replaced due to an injury.
Jason Lee Scott • Rocky DeSantos • Aurico • Tommy Oliver • T.J. Johnson • Andros • Leo Corbett • Carter Grayson • Alex • Wesley Collins • Cole Evans • Shane Clarke • Conner McKnight • Jack Landors • Schuyler Tate • Bridge Carson • Nick Russell • Mack Hartford • Casey Rhodes • Scott Truman • Jayden Shiba • Lauren Shiba • Troy Burrows • Tyler Navarro • Brody Romero • Devon Daniels • Zayto
Rocky DeSantos (movie) • Britt • Jason Scott (2017 movie) • Marvin Shih • Grace Sterling
|View • Edit|
Billy Cranston • Cestro • Rocky DeSantos • Justin Stewart • T.J. Johnson • Kai Chen • Chad Lee • Lucas Kendall • Max Cooper • Tori Hanson • Ethan James • Schuyler Tate • Bridge Carson • Madison Rocca • Dax Lo • Theo Martin • Flynn McAllistair • Kevin • Noah Carver • Koda • Preston Tien • Ravi Shaw • Ollie Akana
Billy Cranston/1995 movie • Billy Cranston/World of the Coinless • Serge • Cenozoic Blue Ranger • Billy Cranston/2017 movie • Eddie Banks • Lina Song • Nikolai Chukarin • Blue Emissary
|View • Edit|