|This article is about a/an Ranger and mentor in Power Rangers Jungle Fury.|
|"With the courage of a wolf ~ Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger!"|
|―RJ's roll call[src]|
Robert "RJ" James is the Jungle Fury Rangers' mentor. He later becomes Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger or simply Wolf Ranger of the Jungle Fury Rangers. He is the owner of the Jungle Karma Pizzeria and practices martial arts privately.
He is later retroactively referred to as Jungle Fury Purple Ranger though this is in reference to the show and his color as opposed to being a proper label.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Split History
- 3 Video Game Appearances
- 4 Family
- 5 Forms
- 6 Legendary Ranger Devices
- 7 Behind the Scenes
- 8 Notes
- 9 Appearances
- 10 See Also
RJ was born the son of Pai Zhua Master Finn, but never felt that his father's Shark Style fit him. This led to a rift between him and his demanding father, with RJ eventually going off and finding another master to teach him. At some point in his training to become a master himself, he was mentored by Master Swoop, who taught him his "Swoop Technique," which involved fighting blind. He was also friends with Dominic, and acquainted with fellow student Jarrod. In addition to becoming a master, he also opened Jungle Karma Pizza.
Meeting His Students
|"I think it's time for your first lesson. Can't judge a book by its cover."|
After his death, Master Mao sent three new students that he himself selected to counter the looming threat of Dai Shi. The students make their way into the Jungle Karma pizza parlor and meet RJ, who hires them until they wait for their master. When an army of Rinshi attack the city and the students get beaten, RJ steps in, revealing that he was the master they were looking for, he defeats the monster and gives the students their Solar Morphers so they can fight the Dai Shi, making them the new Power Rangers.
One Master Too Many
When Casey felt like he needed a new master, RJ started to feel insecure and very defensive, questioning why would he need a new master when he already has him. After his father, Master Finn, came back to teach Casey the shark technique, RJ's self loathing grew more and more as his skills were questioned. RJ later has a talk with Casey, where he explains the relationship with his dad, how he wanted a different path than his father and how their relationship broke after he went to look for a new master to train.
After this, his father was losing a fight against Dai Shi, but RJ steps in, claiming that if he messes with his dad he messes with him, RJ manages to draw out Dai Shi with his Wolf Spirit (while at the same time, revealing him to his dad for the first time) and makes him run away while yelling that this wasn't the end. Master Finn then tells RJ that he's very proud of him and he's later seen taking a cooking lesson from his son, as their relationship started to heal.
|"Maybe I can give you the challenge you're looking for."|
|―RJ morphin into the Wolf Ranger for the first time[src]|
Once, he sacrificed himself to be captured in place of the Rangers. Dai Shi uses this time to attempt to steal the Wolf Spirit. He fails to take it but derails the spirit so badly that RJ experiences a period of time when he uncontrollably becomes his animal form. Later on, Fran is able to help him keep it at bay and he decides to use a secret item he's been keeping, the Wolf Morpher, and becomes the Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger.
For a time his presence on the team threatened Casey, who had become the team's leader, but RJ helped him realize that the Wolf was merely there to support him. As the Wolf Ranger, RJ aided his students in battle with the Overlords, during which time they were joined by his old friend Dominic. The Overlords sent an evil spirit to disrupt RJ's connection with his Wolf Spirit again, but he was rescued by the efforts of Flit, a human warrior turned into a fly by Dai Shi's lieutenant Camille.
RJ had previously saved Flit from being buried under debris during a previous battle, and Flit attempted to aid his newfound friend. Dominic soon joined the team as the Rhino Ranger, and they defeated Overlords Carnisoar and Grizzaka only to be forced to contend with the Phantom Beasts. These villains succeeded in capturing Masters Finn, Swoop and Phant, whose animal spirits were used to create the Spirit Rangers. At the urging of his imprisoned father, RJ created a means of destroying the Shark Ranger, which left Finn imprisoned in one of the Phantom Beasts' Crystal Eyes. Fortunately, Flit managed to recover the eye, and Finn had anticipated this situation and prepared a means for RJ to release him. The two then saved Swoop and Phant from captivity, allowing the Spirit Rangers to join RJ and his teammates in battle.
Final Fight Against Dai Shi
Some time later, RJ led his students back to the Pai Zhua monastery to take their mastery exams: facing Masters Phant, Swoop, and Finn in battle. Lily and Theo passed their tests and earned their master stripes, but Casey failed due to his lack of self-confidence. When he approached RJ for further training, RJ informed him that he had taught Casey everything that he needed to know; Casey subsequently realized that he needed to follow his own heart and passed the test. RJ joined his fellow Jungle Fury Rangers in the final battle, taking on Naja, Rantipede, and Gakko of the Five Fingers of Poison. Following Dai Shi's destruction, he returned to his normal life at Jungle Karma Pizza, though with changes to the staff as Casey took over the Pai Zhua monastery, Dominic and Fran left to go on a backpacking trip across Europe, and RJ hired a restored-to-human-form Flit.
RJ returned with his fellow Jungle Fury Rangers as part of the army of Legendary Rangers that helped the Mega Rangers defeat the Armada once and for all, fighting in a huge battle against hundreds of X Borgs and dozens of Bruisers.
When events set into motion by Lord Drakkon caused the timeline to split into pocket universe, each anchored on a powerset, the Jungle Fury Rangers were split off into their own pocket universe. Following Drakkon's attack on Jungle Karma Pizza, he was rescued by Jen and Kimberly. He was later seen fighting on the Moon in the World of the Coinless, calling his Wolf Animal Spirit to combine with other Zords.
When the timeline was restored, so was RJ.
Video Game Appearances
Power Rangers Key Scanner
Robert as Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger, appears in the app videogame Power Rangers Key Scanner, amoung various other Rangers teams.
Power Rangers Legacy Wars
Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger is a playable character in Power Rangers Legacy Wars, This may be due to the then focus on Disney-era characters, resulting in the developers adding Robert James well before the poll was released,he is a Legendary (Leader), Legendary (Assist) character, and represents Jungle Fury Rangers alongside Dominic Hargan.
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Robert James as Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger is a playable character in Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid.
- Master Finn - Father
The Wolf Ranger is the first Jungle Fury Ranger named not by color but by the spirit he carries. He uses a variety of martial arts technique, most notably a stylized form of Muay Thai. His Ranger suit is radically different from the other Rangers and is specially designed with armor on the elbows and knees. He retains the Wolf Morpher when in suit and uses it as a blaster.
- Wolf Morpher - The device that allows RJ to morph into his Ranger form.
- Wolf Pride Megazord - a facsimile of Jungle Pride Megazord combined with his own spirit.
- Wolf Beam-RJ's signature attack and personal finishing move. To do this, he pushes the underside of his Wolf Morpher and then flings it upwards, generating a massive purple vertical energy slash that would cut into his enemy with lethal force.
- Energy Strike: RJ can charge up his elbow or kneecap with dark purple energy to land a powerful blow. A single hit from above was enough to knock down Camille and take her out of the fight with Unidoom.
Appearances: JF Episodes 16-25, 27-32, SM 20 & LBEV
RJ was originally unable to control his animal spirit and it subdued and overtook him.
Morph and Roll Call
Legendary Ranger Devices
The Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger Key is RJ's personal Ranger Key. This key along with the majority of the Core Ranger Keys are seen lining the Command Center's interior walls. This key is mainly used by Jake Holling (Super Megaforce Green) who uses it to fight as Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger.
- When the Super Mega Rangers (bar Noah) became the Jungle Fury Rangers while fighting Skatana's X Borgs.
- When the Super Mega Rangers became the Jungle Fury Rangers while fighting Pacha Chamak.
The Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger is one of the Rangers that represent the Jungle Fury Rangers for the Jungle Fury Dino Charger, released as part of a special set of Dino Charger Power Packs. In Jungle Fury's case, it featured the Jungle Fury Red Ranger, the Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger, the Jungle Pride Megazord, and the Jungle Fury title. This Charger was paired with the Mystic Force Dino Charger.
Behind the Scenes
- Robert is played by David de Lautour.
- As the Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger, his suit actor in Super Sentai footage from Gekiranger was Riichi Seike (清家 利一 Seike Riichi) & his suit actor in US/NZ footage was Koji Mimura (三村 幸司 Mimura Kōji).
- RJ is the first official Purple Ranger.
- He is the only Jungle Fury Ranger that did not become a Ranger in his debut.
- RJ's name, Robert James, was revealed in a Power Rangers Jungle Fury Kids' Book. The book is notable for reiterating Lily and Theo's last names but remaining mum about Casey's.
- RJ's Wolf Technique is based on Muay Thai kickboxing with emphasis on elbow and knee strikes.
- RJ has a Miyagi-method of teaching as seen in The Karate Kid, using random chores as a way of teaching martial arts, such as "Wax on, wax off," much like the character in the movie, Keisuke Miyagi.
- RJ is the first and so far only Power Ranger not to have any primary or secondary weapons. The only item in his arsenal is his Morpher making him the only Ranger not to use any special weapons but rather depend purely on hand-to-hand combat
- Gou Fukami - Super Sentai counterpart in Gekiranger. See comparison page.
- Master Sha-Fu - Super Sentai counterpart in Gekiranger. See comparison page. (as the primary Mentor)
- Miki Masaki - Super Sentai counterpart in Gekiranger. See comparison page. (as main human mentor)
- Retsu Fukami - Who was Second-in-command of the Gekiranger.
- Shou Ronpo - as a purple ranger to serve as mentor and second in command in Kyuranger
Kat • RJ • Phillip • Albert • Kendall
|View • Talk • Edit|