|This article is about a/an villain in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Power Rangers Zeo.|
|This article is about a/an ally in Power Rangers Mystic Force.|
- "Magic wand, make my monster/Goldar GROW!"
- ―Rita's incantation when making her monsters grow.[src]
Rita Repulsa was a female humanoid sorceress bent on intergalactic domination who served as the main antagonist of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, one of the two secondary antagonists of Power Rangers Zeo, and a minor antagonist of Power Rangers In Space, making her the longest-lasting villain in the franchise's history. She was also the source of all magic in Power Rangers Mystic Force.
- 1 History
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Family
- 5 Behind the scenes
- 6 Notes
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Family Tree
- 9 See Also
|This article contains content in reference to the main TV series, as well as supplemental material, such as the comics. A sliding/floating timeline applies. Story instances for TV and other media will be clearly marked.|
Several ten of thousands of years ago, Rita's father Master Vile met with an ally of Zordon called Lady Fienna and they fell in love before eventually getting married. However, he kept his true nature a secret from her although she eventually discovered his true nature and fled when she was pregnant from Rita. She went to Zordon for safety and gave birth to Rita in his accompaniment before trying to raise the baby. However, Master Vile never stopped searching for his lost wife and daughter and, when he found them, sent the Tenga Warriors who re-captured the six year old Rita and mortally wounded Fienna. Vile then raised her in his psychopathic and cruel ways. Sometime between this and leaving Vile, she went to an unnamed planet and recruited a dog like creature named Finster who had just accidentally killed his wife Plepra and was worried over how the other natives would treat him when they found out. Rita played on his desire to create "beautiful art" (AKA hideous abominations) and convinced him to join her as she could make them real and he happily accepted.
A Career of Evil
Along with her brother, Rito Revolto, Rita was raised to embrace the practices of evil and dabbled into the art of dark magic. Crafting for herself a scepter through which to channel her evil, Rita joined the armies of the infamous Lord Zedd and proceeded to aid him in galactic conquest. Gaining renown for the destruction she wrought upon Regda 2, Sorcery 7 and Tarmac 3, Rita amassed a large army of monsters and Putty Patrollers to serve her. During her reign of terror, she led a group of minions to conquer Earth, a planet populated by humans.
Having conquered many worlds in the service of Lord Zedd, Rita was defeated by Zordon of Eltar during her failed invasion of Earth. Imprisoned in a space dumpster by the sage, Rita was cast into space where she would float for ten thousand years before arcing back to the moon. Once freed, she and her minions reclaimed their headquarters and started a second campaign on Earth to defeat Zordon and take the planet for Lord Zedd.
Although Squatt and Baboo's origins are unknown, it is known that she didn't recruit Goldar. Goldar and his brother Silverback were already working for Lord Zedd as were their warrior race but he eventually turned against his brother when he planned to kill Zedd as he felt the arch-villain was wasting their time in simple invasions. He killed Silverback under orders from Zedd and was then assigned to Rita and her fledgling Evil Space Aliens.
Some years after this, she left Vile and joined up with the forces of Lord Zedd, acting as his commander whenever he was unable to oversee an invasion himself. A little over ten thousand years ago, she was invading the Breel homeworld with another emissary of Zedd's named Montaur with Montaur as the field commander and Rita as the puppet mistress. They were victorious due to Montaur's tactics and sheer numbers of Putty Patrollers but the twisted Montaur desired to commit genocide to make more people afraid of her and Zedd. Disgusted, she vaporized him when he turned to head to the Breel castle and presumably start such an atrocity.
Establishing a palace on the planet's moon, Rita launched attacks against the world but her invasion was halted by the powerful sage called Zordon. A mighty wizard from Eltar, Zordon and Rita's servants and warriors had many confrontations; the pair built up a lasting competition as they won and lost battles. Rita, seemingly admitting her failure, called for negotiations to be made between her camp and the warriors of Earth. Meeting with Zordon, Rita revealed the depths of her treachery and trapped Zordon in a time warp. Before Zordon was gone, the wizard revealed he was prepared with his own fail safe. Conjuring up a space dumpster, Zordon sealed away Rita and her chief aides and servants and cast them into space. Inside the dumpster, Rita was forced to live through the lives of her numerous victims. which caused her endless trauma as she would live a love-filled life only for her own self to attack the planet she was on.
Return to Earth
- "AAAAH! After 10,000 years, I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"
- ―Rita in the opening. Despite being her most famous line, she never actually says it in the show proper.[src]
Rita had been sealed in her dumpster for nearly 10,000 years before it found its way back to the moon. Not long after, a pair of curious astronauts stumbled upon the strange container and broke the seal that kept Rita's evil at bay. Released from her prison, she destroyed the dumpster and quickly set her sights on Earth. Reoccupying her palace which had lay vacant for eons, Rita sent her chief warrior, Goldar, to Earth to lay siege to the world. However, Rita was met by her opponent Zordon, who had managed to reestablish contact with Earth and gather new warriors. Beginning her second invasion of the planet, Rita's monsters were constantly defeated by Zordon's Power Rangers, teenage humans who wielded the mighty Power Coins.
While Rita largely relied on monsters created by her loyal minion Finster or with the help of other mystic allies such as Madame Woe or Lokar, her master stroke came in creating a sixth Ranger to combat Zordon's warriors. Rita secured a Green Candle from the Wizard of Deception to aid in her next scheme.
Having long ago come into the possession of a power coin, Rita selected one of the Rangers' own classmates, Tommy Oliver, to become her Green Ranger. While this proved effective for a time, Rita's plan was ultimately foiled when the Rangers broke her spell and brought Tommy back to the side of good. A year after being freed from her dumpster Rita was horrified when a storm of dark energy began to erupt throughout surrounding space.
The storm, a manifestation of Lord Zedd's power, ended when the master of evil took up residence in the Palace's Chamber of Command. Disgusted with Rita's performance and her inability to conquer the Earth after several millennia, Zedd had returned to destroy Zordon once and for all. Sealing her away once more in a space dumpster, Rita was cast back out into the void only to swear revenge return less than a year later to find Zedd having just as much trouble as she had. Secretly entering the palace, she was able to reach her loyal henchman Finster who restored her to normal size and crafted a love potion that would make Zedd fall in love with her, but this was all a sham to get him off his guard so Rita could overthrow him and resume her old position as the future conqueror of Earth - basically to teach Zedd a lesson on not messing with her. During this time, she gained Alpha 5 as a new servant (she seemed to go as far as to praise him for "delivering the message of evil" to the Rangers), but the Rangers broke the spell before he could finally kill them. After applying Finster's youth serum, the revitalized sorceress would wed the Lord of Evil, though over time she would abandon her plan of eliminating Zedd soon after and come to truly love him. Joining forces, the pair continued to bombard the Rangers together, though continuing to fall short.
Sometime after her marriage to Zedd, Scorpina became disillusioned with Rita and began to desire power so started to read her spell books. However, it was a trap (probably set to either test her loyalty or to find who had been breaking into her library) and she was banished to the Talos Dimension.
Following Rita's marriage to Zedd, her brother Rito Revolto arrived at the moon palace to add his sword to their fight against the Rangers. Not long after Rito's arrival on the moon, Rita and Rito's father, Master Vile, came to criticize his daughter's choice in men. Attempting to upstage Zedd in conquering the Earth, Vile reversed time on the planet and turned the Power Rangers back into children. While they attempted to set things right, Rita and Zedd plotted their boldest move yet: they would destroy the Command Center and steal the powerful Zeo Crystal for themselves. The plan, like all the others, was a failure. Goldar and Rito's implosion device did go off, but the Rangers, Zordon and Alpha 5 escaped to a fortified Power Chamber underneath the wreckage. The Zeo Crystal, meanwhile, turned up in the rubble, as Goldar and Rito somehow lost it during their getaway.
Rise of the Machine Empire
Despite the setbacks, Rita and Zedd celebrated their most significant victory yet over Zordon's forces. Their good feelings, however, did not last. The Machine Empire, longtime rivals of both Rita and Zedd, staged a coup and forced Rita and Zedd to flee the moon. The couple eventually returned and exacted revenge. With the help of a bomb disguised as a gift, the ruling family of the Machine Empire was temporarily destroyed, and Rita and Zedd once again ruled the moon for themselves.
The couple opted not to resume their struggle with the Power Rangers, and advised Divatox to do the same. When the space pirate called Rita for advice on defeating the Rangers, Rita could only laugh and warn Divatox to run away leaving her disgusted.
Rita and Zedd joined their comrades/rivals in the United Alliance of Evil under Dark Specter to mount a final assault on the forces of good throughout the galaxy. At a conference on the Cimera planet, Rita met her old friend Divatox, who was acting more arrogant than usual. Rita learned from Divatox that she had defeated the Turbo Rangers, the successors to the Rangers who had been giving Rita and Zedd trouble for years. Shocked, Rita turned to Zedd to confirm if this was true; to her horror, he calmly explained that it was "kind of the talk of the universe now."
Rita and Zedd attacked a planet in the Vica Galaxy and captured Trey, the Gold Ranger. Before victory could be achieved, Zordon notched his final, lasting victory over Rita and Zedd when he sacrificed his life in order to let his good energy wash over the universe and purify it of evil. Seeing the wave of good energy approaching, Rita screamed for Zedd not to let it get her. When the wave finally washed over them, it destroyed most of their army but left her and Zedd alive as humans. Now purified, Rita expressed happiness that she and Zedd had been purified together, and at his request, engaged in a dance while Trey looked on.
Legacy of Power
Eight years after her purification, Rita was revealed to have regained her magical powers - assuming she ever lost them - and was using them for good. She became the Empress of Good Magic and leader of the Mystic Ones. As the Mystic Mother, she gave the Mystic Force Rangers their link to the Morphing Grid and helped them in their quest to defeat evil mystic forces.
She was only seen in the two-part finale, Mystic Fate; after Octomus' control over Nick was broken, he went to the Mystic Dimension to put an end to all good magic by destroying her. The Snow Prince arrived to warn her to flee, but she refused and attempted to fight off Octomus herself. Octomus proved to be too strong, however, when he consumed her strongest spell and then attempted to destroy her. She cast a spell on the Snow Prince to send him to inform the Rangers of what happened, and then was seemingly destroyed. Daggeron and Leanbow came to the Mystic Dimension to find her palace destroyed, and Octomus waiting for them. He destroyed them both with no effort, and then returned to earth to destroy the Rangers.
However, it is later revealed that she survived his assault by turning into energy before his spell struck her and then reforming. She later granted Clare the power of a true sorceress, and encouraged the Rangers immediately prior to their final battle with Octomus. Her last appearance is after Octomus's destruction, seemingly breaking the fourth wall as she says that the darkness is destroyed by light, "and should it ever return, your magic must stop it."
Years later, Thrax mentions that he seeks to rebuild his parents' legacy, disgusted by the fact that they were "lost to goodness".
Mayor Daniels expressed his dislike for the development of Morph-X, which he mentions Rita as an example along with Sledge and Galvanax of supervillains wanting the Rangers' powers. Rita is also the only one of the three that makes no sense to be mentioned here as she never sought the Rangers' powers, at least not as her main goal like the other ones, but he could have referred to the times that she tried to steal the powers of one Ranger on different occasions as in the war against Zordon she stole the Green Coin before being locked up in the dumpster, when she wanted to take away Tommy's Powers and keep them for her using the Green Candle, and also when she stole the Pink Power Coin from Kimberly to use to create her own Zords.
Although only seen via flashback, depicting her kicking Scorpina into the Talos Dimension, Rita is mentioned prolifically throughout the book by both Tommy, Anara and the now purified Finster. She is the prime suspect for the recent outbreak of Power Crystals that empower gangs (with no-one present aware of her being the Mystic Mother) but it is eventually revealed that Scorpina and her master Lokar were the real culprits.
During her days as an intergalactic evil witch, Rita Repulsa is a diabolical yet bad-tempered and unpleasant leader of her band of space aliens who speak in screechy voice akin to storybook witches. Whenever her latest plan got foiled by the Rangers, she will either cried out, "I have a headache!" dismay or prone to take her frustration out on her underlings, or even both — even if they had absolutely nothing to do with what went wrong. Her most recurring victim of this abuse was Goldar, which evident that he gladly switch sides with Lord Zedd out of his abuse and regretted the idea of brainwashing Kimberly to be an evil queen like her where she ended up behaved like Rita herself, though the spell he used for latter deed technically only give her Rita's outfit and she successfully pretend to behave like real Rita. Even in her youth, she set her own home ablaze just because she received a dragon instead of a planet like she wanted for her birthday as stated by Rito.
Rita genuinely loved her brother and father Master Vile, and sought to become an accomplished evil conqueror just like the latter. This motivated her in her fight against Zordon and later, his Power Rangers despite of them foiled her plans time and time again. Not even being sealed into a dumpster twice, first by Zordon and by her superior Lord Zedd, can extinguish her resolve. Although, after her superior overthrow her and took over her band in the light of her recurring failures, Rita initially planned to overthrow Lord Zedd as she wanted payback towards him by using a love potion on him to make him fall in love and marry her. However, Rita changed her mind as Lord Zedd touched her heart and made her feelings towards him real. Their ability to feel love was arguably one of the reasons why she and Zedd ended up purified by Zordon's Energy Wave.
After becoming Mystic Mother, Rita practiced good magic and has since abandoned her evil ways. In an ironic twist of fate, she became a powerful yet wise figure who aided her own band of Power Rangers (Mystic Force Rangers) just as her past nemesis Zordon had (Mighty Morphin Rangers). Despite this, traces of her past self still persist, notably her penchant for getting headaches when her things don't go her way.
Although Rita in the comics isn't written as jokey and over the top as her television counterpart, she will not tolerate war crimes unless someone forces her hand as can be derided from the incident with Montaur. Rita is undeniably evil but she is a world conqueror, not a destroyer and seems to be aware that war crimes tend to unite people against a common enemy and she would be heavily outnumbered should the Breel decide to rise up. It's even implied that the only reason she actually won in the invasion was because she only killed those resisting her (the warriors) and left the civilians who just wanted to exist peacefully alone besides occupation. She only actually attempts to destroy the Power Rangers as they are in direct opposition to her, even giving them a chance to join her in Go Go Power Rangers Issue 1.
Powers and Abilities
- Power-Rita is the main antagonist of Season 1 as well as the secondary antagonist of Seasons 2 and 3, making her far stronger than any of her minions and monsters. Despite Rita's powerful displays of magic, she appears to be one of the weaker spell casters in the universe of Power Rangers, since she was easily dominated by Lord Zedd. Her magic also seems to be limited, as she has to rely on Finster and his Monster-Matic to create monsters and putties, whereas other spell-casters, like Zedd and Master Vile, are seen creating their own monsters.
- Virtual Immortality: Rita survived at least ten thousand years in a dumpster.
- Teleportation: Rita can teleport to any location at will.
- Mistress of Magic: A name given to her by Zordon. Rita Repulsa was shown to be skilled in the fields of magic. Most notable among her magic arsenal is her power to enlarge monsters and other beings with her staff, by throwing it towards the Earth with extreme accuracy.
- Evil Being Summoning: Another magical ability notable to her is her ability to communicate and summon dark spiritual beings, as she summoned Lokar on two occasions and also the Ghost of Darkness.
- Curses: Rita is also adept at casting curses on her enemies, as she was able to immobilize the Dragonzord with dark magic, and trapped three of the Power Rangers inside a storybook.
- Magical Brainwashing: Also notable is Rita's ability to brainwash other people, turning them into their loyal and evil servants, as she did this to Tommy and Katherine with few complications.
- Magic Wand: Rita's main weapon is a large wand which has many abilities.
- Energy Blasts: Rita can fire a pink beam of energy from her staff which explodes on contact. This were powerful enough to destroy the Dumpster that she and the others were trapped in for 10,000 years and obliterate the Island of Illusion with one shot.
- Monster Enlargement: Rita's primary ability with her wand. By chanting "magic wand, make my monster/Goldar grow" and throwing her wand to Earth, Rita can open a giant chasm in the ground which gives the monster enough energy to grow.
- Growth Lightning: Rita can also grow monsters by hitting them with a purple energy blast from the bottom of her wand. However, she only used this once in the episode "Switching Places" when she grew the Genie.
- Monster Creation: Rita can fire blasts from her staff's gem which can create monsters out of objects. However, she only used this power three (to create the Wheel of Misfortune, Brick Bully and the Impursonator although she intended to turn Kat back into Katastrophe but accidentally changed her purse instead) since she preferred to use Finster and his Monster-Matic.
- Teleportation Beam: Rita can fire a green energy beam from the pink jewel on her wand capable of teleporting other beings around. She only used this to teleport Tommy to a beach to fight her Putties in the episode "Jason's Battle."
As the Mystic Mother
- Magic Powers: Rita's magical abilities and displays thereof became far more powerful when she became the Mystic Mother, even citing that good magic is stronger than dark magic used by evildoers. Aside from creating a connection to the morphing grid for an entire team of rangers, she also has the ability to bolster and awaken magical potential in others; doing so for Claire and the Mystic Rangers. While unable to best Octomus in a head-on confrontation, she did have enough power to effortlessly turn into energy and completely evade him. It was stated by Udonna that she was the embodiment and creator of all great magic.
- Magical Empowerment: As the embodiment of all good magic (or something like that), she can bestow superpowers on normal people such as Udonna, Leonbow (as the Wolf Warrior since The Master made him Koragg), and the Rangers.
- Energy Transformation: Rita can turn into magical energy and move around her realm at will fast enough to dodge Octomus' attacks.
- Wand: Rita lost her original wand (its replacement anyway) when she was purified so she now has a much smaller wand.
- Energy Bubble: The Mystic Mother's strongest attack. She can generate a glowing yellow bubble in front of her and throw it at her enemies, presumably destroying them on contact. This was stated to be her strongest attack by the Snow Prince but was easily destroyed by The Master.
Behind the scenes
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
In the first season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, the late Japanese actress Machiko Soga played the role of Rita via stock footage from the original Japanese show, Zyuranger, as well as specially filmed insert shots for the show (dubbed by some fans as Zyu1.5). Carla Perez took over from Season 2 through 6. Julia Cortez, an actress from Sydney, Australia, portrayed Rita Repulsa in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.
Barbara Goodson provided her voice in all of Rita's appearances through 1998, including both movies. Interesting to note is that when Barbara Goodson auditioned, she initially did a voice that imitated Billie Hayes's performance as Witchiepoo from H.R. Pufnstuf. But when told that she wasn't angry enough, she shouted at the directors, sounding exactly like what would later be Rita's voice, and got the part easily. She also was going to wear the costume when Rita returned in The Wedding, but when they decided to keep Rita as "Asian-looking", Carla Perez was cast as on-set Rita. 
In 2006, the character returned as the Mystic Mother for the end of Mystic Force and was played by Soga once more, and dubbed over in English by New Zealander Susan Brady. The footage this time was taken from Mahou Sentai Magiranger, where Soga's character was unrelated to her Zyuranger character. The writers decided to connect the two characters as a tribute to Soga, who passed away while Mystic Force was in production. Soga also dubbed in Rita's voice when Power Rangers came to be aired in Japan.
In the original Zyuranger show, the Rita Repulsa character was known as the Witch Bandora (魔女バンドーラ Majo Bandōra), while in Magiranger, the Mystic Mother character was known as Heavenly Arch Saint Magiel (天空大聖者マジエル ,Tenkū Daiseija Majieru). Neither character had any relation in the Sentai aside from the actress.
- Carla Perez and Julia Cortez were cast at almost the same time, with one going on to portray the TV version and the latter, the movie version as they shot in Sydney, Australia.
- Together with Rito Revolto, Rita Repulsa is the first villain in the franchise revealed to be a child of another villain. This also makes her the first villain to have familial ties to other villains.
- When Kimberly Ann Hart is selected by Lord Zedd to become his queen, Goldar uses magic to put Rita's dress on her. She does an impression of Rita a while later.
- She and Astronema are the only villains of the Zordon Era to reappear in later seasons after they become good in Countdown to Destruction.
- At some point, Rita and Zedd are said to have given birth to a son, Thrax, who appears in the Operation Overdrive crossover special, wanting to gain the Corona Aurora and avenge his parents' purification.
- Rita had a fierce rivalry with fellow evil villain Divatox.
- The character was part of the live stage show tour, again voiced by Barbara Goodson, but sporting a much different look than seen in the series. The purple costume was reminiscent of Rita's portrayal in some U.S. Power Rangers merchandise, including coloring books and school supplies.
- Ironically, she always wanted to destroy the Power Rangers in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, but in Mystic Force, she was the one who gave the Mystic Force Rangers their link to the Morphing Grid.
- Rita frequently complains of having headaches when being defeated by the Power Rangers, a running gag that continues through all her appearances until her redemption in Countdown to Destruction. A callback to this gag is made in Power Rangers Mystic Force when Rita, now the Mystic Mother, tells Octomus "You are giving me a headache".
- In "The Fate of Lightspeed" Pt. 2, one of the demons in the Shadow World was a mostly-obscured woman who was wearing Rita Repulsa's costume.
- In Issue #7, Rita clearly makes reference to some kind of history with Alpha when she speaks to him briefly, stating that he could have been better off serving her than Zordon.
|Master Vile ♂||∞||Lady Fienna ♀|
|Rito ♂||Rita ♀||∞|
- Witch Bandora - Super Sentai counterpart in Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. See comparison page.
- Kou's Mother - Super Sentai counterpart in Gosei Sentai Dairanger. See comparison page. (Due to being the significant other of Lord Zedd's counterpart (Lieutenant Colonel Shadam) and the mother of Thrax's counterpart (Akomaru)
- Heavenly Arch Saint Magiel - Super Sentai counterpart in Mahou Sentai Magiranger. See comparison page.
|Power Rangers Mystic Force|
|Nick Russell - Chip Thorn - Madison Rocca - Vida Rocca - Xander Bly - Daggeron - Udonna - Leanbow|
|Mystic Morphers - Snow Staff - Solar Cell Morpher - Wolf Morpher - Fierce Dragon Morpher - Magi Staffs - Mystic Force Fighters - Laser Lamp - Mystic Muscles - Mystic Legend Armor - Mystic Lion Staff - Red Dragon Fire Ranger - Ancient Mystic Mode - Knight Saber - Wolf Shield - Xenotome - Mystic Racers - Mystic Speeder - Mystic Carpet|
|Clare - Toby Slambrook - Phineas - Jenji - Leelee Pimvare - Fire Heart - Tribunal of Magic - Snow Prince - Mystic Mother|
|Zords and Megazords|
|Mystic Phoenix - Mystic Garuda - Mystic Mermaid - Mystic Sprite - Mystic Minotaur - Solar Streak - Catastros - Mystic Firebird - Mystic Lion - Brightstar|
|Mystic Titans: Dragon Formation - Titan Megazord - Centaurus Wolf Megazord - Centaurus Phoenix Megazord - Solar Streak Megazord - Manticore Megazord - Phoenix Unizord|
|Morticon - Necrolai - Koragg, The Knight Wolf - Imperious - Hidiacs - Styxoids|
|Ten Terrors: Sculpin - Magma - Oculous - Serpentina - Megahorn - Hekatoid - Gekkor - Matoombo - Itassis - Black Lance|
|Dark Troll - Mucor - Hydra Worm - Clawbster - Rock Troll - Taxi Cab Monster - Giant Spider - Flytrap - Boney - Skullington - Gargoyle of the Gates - Jester the Pester - Behemoth - Gnatu - Spydex - Screamer - Warmax - Shrieker - 50 Below - Fightoe - Ursus - Chimera|
|View • Edit|