|This article is about a/an villain in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Power Rangers Zeo.|
|This article is about a/an ally in Power Rangers Mystic Force.|
|"You made me step in a puddle you nitwit!"|
|―Rita's first words upon being freed from the dumpster and being helped out by Baboo.[src]|
|"Zordon. I’m surprised. Teenagers? So, you think you can stop me do you?"|
|―Rita reacting to Zordon's new Power Rangers.[src]|
|"AAAAH! After 10,000 years, I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"|
|―Rita in the opening. Despite being her most famous line, she never actually says it in the show proper.[src]|
|"Magic wand, make my monster/Goldar GROW!"|
|―Rita's incantation when making her monsters grow.[src]|
|"I'll be back!!! You haven't seen the last of Rita Repulsaaaa! Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"|
|―Rita after being sealed from the Moonr.[src]|
|"Oh ho ho ho. My achin’ back. Y’know, I really oughta put some safety seats in this baby. Home sweet home. Yipee! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! And now, to the castle before that old goat wakes up. Zedd darling, have I got plans for you! Ho ho ho."|
|―Rita Repulsa after escaping from Lord Zedd’s dumpster.[src]|
|"Help me, Zeddy! Don't let it get...! Ahhhhhhhhh!"|
|―Rita reacting to Zordon's Energy Wave and her final words before her purification.[src]|
Rita Repulsa is a female humanoid sorceress who was once bent on intergalactic domination and served as the main antagonist of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, one of the two secondary antagonists of Power Rangers Zeo, and a minor antagonist in Power Rangers In Space, making her the longest-lasting villain in the franchise's history. She was also the source of all magic in Power Rangers Mystic Force.
- 1 Character History
- 2 Video Game Appearances
- 3 Personality
- 4 Forms
- 5 Behind the Scenes
- 6 Notes
- 7 Appearances
- 8 See Also
- 9 References
|This article contains content in reference to the main TV series, as well as supplemental material, such as the comics. A sliding/floating timeline applies. Story instances for TV and other media will be clearly marked.|
Several ten of thousands of years ago, Rita's father Master Vile met with an ally of Zordon called Lady Fienna and they fell in love before eventually getting married. However, he kept his true nature a secret from her although she eventually discovered his true nature and fled when she was pregnant from Rita. She went to Zordon for safety and gave birth to Rita in his accompaniment before trying to raise the baby. However, Master Vile never stopped searching for his lost wife and daughter and, when he found them, sent the Tenga Warriors who re-captured the six year old Rita and mortally wounded Fienna. Vile then raised her in his psychopathic and cruel ways. Sometime between this and leaving Vile, she went to an unnamed planet and recruited a dog like creature named Finster who had just accidentally killed his wife Plepra and was worried over how the other natives would treat him when they found out. Rita played on his desire to create "beautiful art" (AKA hideous abominations) and convinced him to join her as she could make them real and he happily accepted.
Along with her brother, Rito Revolto, Rita was raised to embrace the practices of evil and dabbled into the art of dark magic. Crafting for herself a scepter through which to channel her evil, Rita joined the armies of the infamous Lord Zedd and proceeded to aid him in galactic conquest. Gaining renown for the destruction she wrought upon Regda 2, Sorcery 7 and Tarmac 3, Rita amassed a large army of monsters and Putty Patrollers to serve her. During her reign of terror, she led a group of minions to conquer Earth, a planet populated by humans.
Having conquered many worlds in the service of Lord Zedd, Rita was defeated by Zordon of Eltar during her failed invasion of Earth. Imprisoned in a space dumpster by the sage, Rita was cast into space where she would float for ten thousand years before arcing back to the moon. Once freed, she and her minions reclaimed their headquarters and started a second campaign on Earth to defeat Zordon and take the planet for Lord Zedd.
Some years after this, she left Vile and joined up with the forces of Lord Zedd, acting as his commander whenever he was unable to oversee an invasion himself. A little over ten thousand years ago, she was invading the Breel homeworld with another emissary of Zedd's named Montaur with Montaur as the field commander and Rita as the puppet mistress. They were victorious due to Montaur's tactics and sheer numbers of Putty Patrollers but the twisted Montaur desired to commit genocide to make more people afraid of her and Zedd. Disgusted, she vaporized him when he turned to head to the Breel castle and presumably start such an atrocity.
Although Squatt and Baboo's origins are unknown, it is known that she didn't recruit Goldar. Goldar and his brother Silverback were already working for Lord Zedd as were their warrior race but he eventually turned against his brother when he planned to kill Zedd as he felt the arch-villain was wasting their time in simple invasions. He killed Silverback under orders from Zedd and was then assigned to Rita and her fledgling Evil Space Aliens.
Establishing a Moon Palace on the planet's moon, Rita launched attacks against the world but her invasion was halted by the powerful sage called Zordon. A mighty wizard from Eltar, Zordon and Rita's servants and warriors had many confrontations; the pair built up a lasting competition as they won and lost battles. Rita, seemingly admitting her failure, called for negotiations to be made between her camp and the warriors of Earth. Meeting with Zordon, Rita revealed the depths of her treachery and trapped Zordon in a time warp. Before Zordon was gone, the wizard revealed he was prepared with his own fail safe. Conjuring up a space dumpster, Zordon sealed away Rita and her chief aides and servants and cast them into space. Inside the dumpster, Rita was forced to live through the lives of her numerous victims. which caused her endless trauma as she would live a love-filled life only for her own self to attack the planet she was on.
Return to Earth
Rita had been sealed in her dumpster for nearly 10,000 years before it found its way back to the moon. Not long after, a pair of curious astronauts stumbled upon the strange container and broke the seal that kept Rita's evil at bay. Released from her prison, she destroyed the dumpster and quickly set her sights on Earth. Reoccupying her palace which had lay vacant for eons, Rita sent her chief warrior, Goldar, to Earth to lay siege to the world. However, Rita was met by her opponent Zordon, who had managed to reestablish contact with Earth and gather new warriors. Beginning her second invasion of the planet, Rita's monsters were constantly defeated by Zordon's Power Rangers, teenage humans who wielded the mighty Power Coins.
While Rita largely relied on monsters created by her loyal minion Finster or with the help of other mystic allies such as Madame Woe or Lokar, her master stroke came in creating a sixth Ranger to combat Zordon's warriors. Rita secured a Green Candle from the Wizard of Deception to aid in her next scheme.
Having long ago come into the possession of a power coin, Rita selected one of the Rangers' own classmates, Tommy Oliver, to become her Green Ranger. While this proved effective for a time, Rita's plan was ultimately foiled when the Rangers broke her spell and brought Tommy back to the side of good. A year after being freed from her dumpster Rita was horrified when a storm of dark energy began to erupt throughout surrounding space.
A storm, a manifestation of Lord Zedd's power, ends when the master of evil took up residence in the Palace's Chamber of Command. Disgusted with Rita's performance and her inability to conquer the Earth after several millennia, Zedd had returned to destroy Zordon once and for all. Sealing her away once more in a space dumpster, Rita is cast back out into the void only to swear revenge.
Sometime after the death of the Photomare and the destruction of the Rock of Time, Lord Zedd has to enter his bicentennial Sleep of Oblivion to recharge his powers. However, Rita’s dumpster nears the Moon and soon explosively makes landing on the surface but she is unfazed and manages to escape from it. Rita enters via her old balcony and starts calling out for her former minions for whatever reason but gets no response so heads to the workshop of her only remaining ally; Finster. Finster has spent the last several months of his time idling away in his workshop and bemoans his complete lack of relevance now that Zedd is around. He has gone from monster-maker extraordinaire to a dolting old man alone in his workshop but Rita appears in his workshop having crash-landed back on the Moon and snuck in. Initially, Finster just passes her off as him hearing voices in his head but soon realizes that he isn’t and uses a potion to return her to her proper size with his Spectron Reintergrator. Rita declares her intention to reclaim her own power so Finster suggests a monster army as he has had nothing better to do but Rita refuses. She tells him to create a love potion as she plans to brainwash Zedd into marrying her to regain her former glory without anyone being able to sabotage her. Finster comes up with the idea to use Alpha to trap the Power Rangers as part of Rita’s plan to give them to Zedd as a wedding gift which Rita happily accepts. When he returns from Earth after using two Putties to help restrain Alpha, Rita embraces him as thanks. Later on, whilst the Power Rangers do some dramatic wandering through the Specter Theater and the doors slam shut. Finster applies a facelift to Rita which regresses her by around 10,000 years to make her look more appealing for Zedd. Later, whilst Alpha makes Zordon look silly and Finster recreates her favorite monsters to attack the Power Rangers, Rita goes to administer the love potion and manages to successfully do so without being discovered.
Rita lingers around in Zedd’s rejuvenation chamber, proclaiming that she will make Zedd redundant when she becomes his queen and seal him away in a dumpster like he did to her once she controls Earth. Eventually, she makes Zedd wake up using a feather and he immediately begins flirting with her and being overly goofy. Goldar appears after being summoned by Zedd and immediately orders the Putties to seize her but Lord Zedd stops him much to his shock. Much to Goldar’s abject horror, Zedd then announces his plans to marry Rita which Goldar is helpless to stop and is even ordered to plan said wedding much to Rita’s intense delight. Whilst the Robogoat and the Snizzard chase down the Power Rangers, Rita goes to Finster and demands more monsters for her wedding with the specification that they give her a lot of gifts. Shortly thereafter, Rita and Zedd hold a toast of dry ice to their wedding but the Power Rangers then escape the Specter Theater so Zedd drops everything and enlarges the Peckster and the Rhinoblaster after Rita comes up with the idea. The enlarged monsters easily defeat the Thunderzords and Alpha sends them back to the Specter Theater. With the Power Rangers recontained, Rita has Finster do her make-up as she powders her face and complains about marrying Zedd although she tells him to select two monsters and send some Putties to guard the Power Rangers and stop another escape. With both the Peckster and the Rhinoblaster standing guard, Lord Zedd begins his wedding ceremony with his monsters as guests and witnesses.
Inside Serpentera, Rita sits back on Lord Zedd’s command chair whilst Zedd pilots the Zord towards Earth. Shortly thereafter however, just as Rita and Zedd begin a game of “99 bottles of Slime on the Wall," Goldar discovers that the Power Rangers have outsmarted the immensely dense Peckster and the Rhinoblaster and have escaped. He reports this to his masters and Zedd orders him to send the entire monster army to Earth to cut them off. Goldar sends the entire monster army along with Putties to Earth but they end up slipping away and the Robogoat even ends up accidentally flailing when the Lizzinator. The two villains watch in glee as the Rangers flee to the Command Center while being pursued by the monsters but manage to make it to the building and makes the pursuit a dismal failure. As such, Lord Zedd throws his Growth Bombs to enlarge the monster armyin order to force the Rangers into a Zord fight where the monster army can annihilate them. However, they are all soon wiped out and Rita and Zedd withdraw to the Moon Palace in disgrace. With the scheme a failure, Rita opts not to trap Zedd like she planned since she will need his help in the future.
Sometime after Rita's marriage to Zedd, Scorpina becomes disillusioned with Rita and began to desire power so started to read her spell books. However, it was a trap (probably set to either test her loyalty or to find who had been breaking into her library) and she was banished to the Talos Dimension.
Sometime after her wedding, Rita gets the huff with Lord Zedd for unknown reasons but he wants her to consult the Ghost of Darkness to summon the Wizard of Deception and trap the Power Rangers in the past. After some presumed begging from Goldar, Rita consults the Ghost of Darkness and bemoans every time that they have banished the Power Rangers several times and they have always returned. The Ghost of Darkness states that Tommy’s leadership is the key to defeating the Power Rangers for good; kill him and the team falls apart. Knowing his keen nature however, he suggests creating a clone to kill him whilst the Wizard of Deception sends the other Rangers into the past. After he swiftly sends down the Wizard of Deception, Rita bows thanks the Ghost of Darkness before leaving and the being is never seen again. Later, after the Wizard of Deception brainwashes Bulk and Skull to get some hair from Tommy, Rita goes to Finster to gloat. She then reveals her goal; recreate the Green Ranger and destroy the Rangers for good (despite that not being her original goal). Meanwhile, despite Bulk and Skull failing, the Wizard of Deception and Zedd’s Putty Patrol put Tommy into a coma and create Tom Oliver. Even with all of the cards seemingly in Rita and Zedd’s hand, the Wizard of Deception is eventually killed and this plan fails miserably.
On the week of Angel Grove High's school president elections, Rita decides to take advantage of this for her own plans but Lord Zedd turned out to be sexist and claim her to be useless as a villain due to her gender. However, when he leaves to create his own scheme, Rita summons Squatt and Baboo as well as Goldar and reveals her plan to use an enchanted rope to turn them into intensely toxic rivals. After some poster sabotage between the two, Rita sends a letter to Tommy claiming that she has some information to bury Kimberly and sends down Goldar with the Putties who manage to capture Saba. Shortly thereafter, whilst the Power Rangers regroup at the Command Center, Rita goes to Earth with Squatt and Baboo and takes control of Saba by gagging him before having a dance for her presumed victory. Five of the Power Rangers confront Rita to get Saba back but she just mocks them before summoning the White Tigerzord to destroy the Power Rangers. Its superior strength gets the upper-hand against the Thunder Megazord and nearly destroys it completely much to the villains' delight. However, Tommy uses an Electro Magnet to retrieve Saba so Rita withdraws herself and the minions to avoid being crushed under the Tigerzord's foot.
Rita leans that Kimberly likes the Grumble the Magic Elf storybook and decides to banish her, Rocky and Tommy into it to leave the Power Rangers very weak and easy to destroy so uses her magic to do so. Rita also has an ally named Mondo the Magician within the book who she knows can destroy them for her so focuses her efforts on killing the Power Rangers still outside of the storybook. However, they later escape after the destruction of the Turkey Jerk by completing the story so brings Mondo out of the storybook but the Thunder Megazord reseals him and renders yet another plan a failure.
Rita's brother Rito Revolto arrives at the Moon Palace to add his sword to their fight against the Rangers. He destroys the Thunderzords but the Ninja Megazord easily beats him and the Vampirus which returns the war to a stalemate.
Not long after Rito's arrival on the moon, Master Vile arrives to criticize his daughter's choice in men but his plan involving the Blue Globbor fails so he sticks around.
Attempting to upstage Zedd in conquering the Earth, Vile uses the Orb of Doom to reverse time on the planet and turns the Power Rangers back into children but his plan is thwarted by the Aquitar Rangers and he leaves for the Gamma Vile in disgrace.
While they attempt to set things right, Rita and Zedd plot their boldest move yet: they will destroy the Command Center and steal the powerful Zeo Crystal for themselves. The plan is ultimately a failure; Goldar and Rito's implosion device does go off but the Rangers, Zordon and Alpha 5 escape to a fortified Power Chamber underneath the wreckage. The Zeo Crystal turns up in the rubble as Goldar and Rito lost it during their getaway.
Despite the setbacks, Rita and Zedd celebrate their most significant victory over Zordon's forces by throwing a massive party in the throne room. Their good feelings however do not last as the Machine Empire, longtime rivals of both Rita and Zedd, stage a coup and force Rita and Zedd to flee the moon in Serpentera.
Rita and Zedd eventually return and exact revenge after the Machine Empire becomes a laughing stock due to their multiple defeats by the Zeo Rangers.
Rita and Zedd later have Finster build a missile to annihilate the Machine Empire after King Mondo's defeat but it gains sentience as Louie Kaboom who breaks free of their control and assumes command himself.
With the help of a bomb disguised as a gift, the ruling family of the Machine Empire is temporarily destroyed and Rita and Zedd once again ruled the moon for themselves. Rather than immediately resuming attacks however, Rita and Zedd opt to go on holiday and return to take thier revenge at a later date.
The couple opt not to resume their struggle with the Power Rangers and advise Divatox to do the same when Divatox calls Rita at night for advice on defeating the Rangers. She advises Divatox to run and emphasises this by telling her how annoying marriage is by having her listen to Zedd's snoring.
Rita and Zedd join their comrades in the United Alliance of Evil under Dark Specter to mount a final assault on the forces of good throughout the galaxy. At a conference on the Cimmerian Planet, Rita meets her old friend Divatox who is acting more arrogant than usual. Rita learns from Divatox that she has defeated the Turbo Rangers, the successors to the Rangers who have been giving Rita and Zedd trouble for years. Shocked, Rita turns to Zedd to confirm if this was true; to her horror, he explains that it is "kind of the talk of the universe now."
Rita and Zedd attack a planet in the Vica Galaxy and capture Trey of Triforia, the former Gold Zeo Ranger. Before victory can be achieved, Zordon accomplishes his final, lasting victory over Rita and Zedd when he sacrifices his life in order to let his good energy wash over the universe and purify it of evil. Seeing the wave of good energy approaching, Rita screams for Zedd not to let it get her but the wave finally washes over them. It destroys most of their army but leaves her and Zedd alive as humans. Now purified, Rita expresses happiness that she and Zedd have been purified together and, at his request, engages in a dance while Trey looks on in confusion.
Rita Repulsa is featured in a chronicle of Power Ranger history compiled by Tommy Oliver shortly after he forms the Dino Rangers which is found by the nascent Ranger team in the Dino Lab. Rita is mentioned as the inciting incident for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as well as the one to make Tommy the Green Ranger.
Eight years after her purification, Rita is revealed to have regained her magical powers and is using them for good. She became the Empress of Good Magic and leader of the Mystic Ones. As the Mystic Mother, she gives the Mystic Force Rangers their link to the Morphin Grid and helps them in their quest to defeat evil mystic forces.
Rita is only seen in the two-part finale after Octomus the Master's control over Nick is broken so he goes to the Mystic Dimension to put an end to all good magic by killing her. The Snow Prince arrives to warn her to flee but she refuses and attempts to fight off Octomus herself. However, Octomus proves to be too strong and consumes her strongest spell before attemptting to kill her. She casts a spell on the Snow Prince to send him to inform the Rangers of what has happened and then is seemingly killed. Daggeron and Leanbow come to the Mystic Dimension to find her palace destroyed and Octomus waiting for them. He defeats them both with no effort and then returns to Earth to destroy the Rangers. However, it is later revealed that the Mystic Mother has survived his assault by turning into energy before his spell struck her and then reforming herself. She later grants Clare the power of a true sorceress and encourages the Rangers immediately prior to their final battle with Octomus. Her last appearance is after Octomus's destruction, breaking the fourth wall as she says that the darkness is destroyed by light, "and should it ever return, your magic must stop it."
Years later, Thrax mentions that he seeks to rebuild his parents' legacy, disgusted by the fact that they were "lost to goodness".
Although only seen via flashback, depicting her kicking Scorpina into the Talos Dimension, Rita is mentioned prolifically throughout the book by both Tommy, Anara, and the now purified Finster. She is the prime suspect for the recent outbreak of Power Crystals that empower gangs but it is eventually revealed that Scorpina and her master Lokar are the real culprits.
Video Game Appearances
Power Rangers Legacy Wars
Rita Repulsa is among the villains who feature in Power Rangers Legacy Wars as an Epic (Leader), Epic (Assist) character.
Power Rangers Battle For The Grid
Rita Repulsa is a playable character in Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid where she uses her wand as her weapon.
Puzzle and Dragons
As part of the collaboration by Hasbro in a limited game event, Rita Repulsa was an unlockable character in Puzzle and Dragons.
- 9 Turns ( 9 Turns at Lv.1 ),This card can be used as assist.
- Fire attribute cards HP x1.5, ATK x1.5, RCV x1.5. Increases time limit of orb movement by 5 seconds.
- While your HP is 50% or above, a single hit that normally kills you will instead leave you with 1 HP. For the consecutive hits, this skill will only affect the first hit.
During her days as an intergalactic evil witch, Rita Repulsa was a diabolical yet bad-tempered and unpleasant leader of her band of space aliens who speak in screechy voice akin to storybook witches. Whenever her latest plan got foiled by the Rangers, she either cried out "I have a headache!" dismay or prone to take her frustration out on her underlings, or even both even if they had absolutely nothing to do with what went wrong. Her most recurring victim of this abuse was Goldar which was evident in that he gladly switched sides with Lord Zedd out of his abuse and regretted the idea of brainwashing Kimberly to be an evil queen like her where she ended up behaved like Rita herself though the spell he used for latter deed technically only give her Rita's outfit and she successfully pretended to behave like real Rita. Even in her youth, she set her own home ablaze just because she received a dragon instead of a planet like she wanted for her birthday as stated by Rito. Rita genuinely loved her brother and father Master Vile and sought to become an accomplished evil conqueror just like the latter. This motivated her in her fight against Zordon and later, his Power Rangers despite of them foiled her plans time and time again. Not even being sealed into a dumpster twice, first by Zordon and by her superior Lord Zedd, can extinguish her resolve. Although, after her superior overthrow her and took over her band in the light of her recurring failures, Rita initially planned to overthrow Lord Zedd as she wanted payback towards him by using a love potion on him to make him fall in love and marry her. However, Rita changed her mind as Lord Zedd touched her heart and made her feelings towards him real. Their ability to feel love was arguably one of the reasons why she and Zedd ended up purified by Zordon's Energy Wave.
After becoming the Mystic Mother, Rita practices good magic and has since abandoned her evil ways. In an ironic twist of fate, she became a powerful yet wise figure who aided the Mystic Force Rangers just as Zordon had. Despite this, traces of her past self still persist such as her penchant for getting headaches when her things don't go her way.
Although Rita in the comics isn't written as jokey and over the top as her television counterpart, she will not tolerate war crimes unless someone forces her hand as can be derided from the incident with Montaur. Rita is undeniably evil but she is a world conqueror, not a destroyer and seems to be aware that war crimes tend to unite people against a common enemy and she would be heavily outnumbered should the Breel decide to rise up. It's even implied that the only reason she actually won in the invasion was because she only killed those resisting her (the warriors) and left the civilians who just wanted to exist peacefully alone besides occupation. She only actually attempts to destroy the Power Rangers as they are in direct opposition to her, even giving them a chance to join her in Go Go Power Rangers Issue 1. The comics also convey that Rita was a good and kind person as a child as she helped heal the Phantom Ranger with her mother and her upbringing by Master Vile was partially the factor of what turned her evil, as her father was manipulative and at times abusive to his daughter.
- Master Vile - Father
- Lady Fienna - Mother
- Rito Revolto - Brother
- Lord Zedd - Husband
- Thrax - Son
- Zordon - Husband
- Lord Drakkon - Son
|Master Vile ♂||∞||Lady Fienna ♀|
|Rito ♂||Rita ♀||∞|
Powers and Abilities
- Power: Rita was the main antagonist of Season 1 as well as the secondary antagonist of Seasons 2 and 3, making her far stronger than any of her minions and monsters. Despite Rita's powerful displays of magic, she appears to be one of the weaker spell casters in the universe of Power Rangers, since she was easily dominated by Lord Zedd. Her magic also seems to be limited, as she has to rely on Finster and his Monster-Matic to create monsters and putties, whereas other spell-casters, like Zedd and Master Vile, are seen creating their own monsters.
- Mistress of Magic: A name given to her by Zordon. Rita Repulsa was shown to be skilled in the fields of magic. Most notable among her magic arsenal is her power to enlarge monsters and other beings with her staff, by throwing it towards the Earth with extreme accuracy.
- Virtual Immortality: Rita survived at least ten thousand years in a dumpster.
- Teleportation: Rita could teleport to any location at will.
- Group Teleportation-Rita could channel red energy into her fingertips to teleport herself and her minions back to the Moon Palace in a flash of red energy as seen in the episode "Best Man For The Job."
- Evil Being Summoning: Another magical ability notable to her was her ability to communicate and summon dark spiritual beings, as she summoned Lokar on two occasions and also the Ghost of Darkness.
- Curses: Rita was also adept at casting curses on her enemies, as she was able to immobilize the Dragonzord with dark magic, and trapped three of the Power Rangers inside a storybook.
- Magical Brainwashing: Also notable was Rita's ability to brainwash other people, turning them into their loyal and evil servants, as she did this to Tommy and Katherine with few complications.
- Ducking Teleportation: Rita ended Zedd’s rejuvenation chamber by ducking down and reappearing in his room.
- Energy Channelling: Rita was able to spew red energy streams to empower the Ghost of Darkness in order to summon the Wizard of Deception.
- Durability: Rita survived her dumpster landing violently on Earth and explosively on the Moon without getting a scratch on her.
- Expert Zord Pilot: Rita was able to expertly pilot Serpentera with no issues in “The Wedding-part III.”
- Exceptional Stamina: Rita was able to tango for at least an hour with Lord Zedd as seen in the second-part of “Return of the Green Ranger.”
to be added
- Magic Wand: Rita's main weapon was a large wand which has many abilities.
- Energy Blasts: Rita could fire a pink beam of energy from her staff which explodes on contact. This were powerful enough to destroy the Dumpster that she and the others were trapped in for 10,000 years and obliterate the Island of Illusion with one shot.
- Monster Enlargement: Rita's primary ability with her wand. By chanting "magic wand, make my monster/Goldar grow" and throwing her wand to Earth, Rita could open a giant chasm in the ground which gives the monster enough energy to grow.
- Growth Lightning: Rita could also grow monsters by hitting them with a purple energy blast from the bottom of her wand. However, she only used this once in the episode "Switching Places" when she grew the Genie.
- Monster Creation: Rita could fire blasts from her staff's gem which can create monsters out of objects. However, she only used this power three (to create the Wheel of Misfortune, Brick Bully and the Impursonator although she intended to turn Kat back into Katastrophe but accidentally changed her purse instead) since she preferred to use Finster and his Monster-Matic.
- Teleportation Beam: Rita could fire a green energy beam from the pink jewel on her wand capable of teleporting other beings around. She only used this to teleport Tommy to a beach to fight her Putties in the episode "Jason's Battle."
- Wedding Bouquet: Rita held a wedding bouquet that she used to batter Goldar with to stop his wedding objection with in “The Wedding-part III.”
- Saba: After Goldar stole Saba from Tommy in the episode "Best Man For The Job", Rita used it to take control of the White Tigerzord and fight the Thunder Megazord until Tommy used a magnet to take it back.
- Tigerzord Control: Rita could summon and control the White Tigerzord via Saba to fight the Thunder Megazord.
Powers and Abilities
- Magic Powers: Rita's magical abilities and displays thereof became far more powerful when she became the Mystic Mother, even citing that good magic is stronger than dark magic used by evildoers. Aside from creating a connection to the morphing grid for an entire team of rangers, she also has the ability to bolster and awaken magical potential in others; doing so for Claire and the Mystic Rangers. While unable to best Octomus in a head-on confrontation, she did have enough power to effortlessly turn into energy and completely evade him. It was stated by Udonna that she was the embodiment and creator of all great magic.
- Magical Empowerment: As the embodiment of all good magic (or something like that), she can bestow superpowers on normal people such as Udonna, Leonbow (as the Wolf Warrior since The Master made him Koragg), and the Rangers.
- Energy Transformation: Rita can turn into magical energy and move around her realm at will fast enough to dodge Octomus' attacks.
- Fourth Wall Breaking-Rita can break the fourth wall and address the audience directly as seen in the final scene of "Mystic Fate."
to be added
- Wand: Rita lost her original wand (its replacement anyway) when she was purified so she now has a much smaller wand similar to those in Harry Potter.
- Energy Bubble: The Mystic Mother's strongest attack. She can generate a glowing yellow bubble in front of her and throw it at her enemies, presumably destroying them on contact. This was stated to be her strongest attack by the Snow Prince but was easily destroyed by The Master.
Behind the Scenes
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
- In the first season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, the late Japanese actress Machiko Soga played the role of Rita via stock footage from the original Japanese show, Zyuranger, as well as specially filmed insert shots for the show (dubbed by some fans as Zyu1.5). Carla Perez took over from Season 2 through 6. Julia Cortez, an actress from Sydney, Australia, portrayed Rita Repulsa in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.
- Carla Perez and Julia Cortez were cast at almost the same time, with one going on to portray the TV version and the latter, the movie version as they shot in Sydney, Australia.
- Barbara Goodson provided her voice in all of Rita's appearances through 1998, including both movies. Interesting to note is that, when Barbara Goodson auditioned, she initially did a voice that imitated Billie Hayes's performance as Witchiepoo from H.R. Pufnstuf. But when told that she wasn't angry enough, she shouted at the directors, sounding exactly like what would later be Rita's voice, and got the part easily.
- Goodson was also was going to wear the costume when Rita returned in "The Wedding" and become her physical actress but the producers decided that she was too small to be Rita and cast Perez in the role as well.
- In 2006, the character returned as the Mystic Mother for the end of Mystic Force and was played by Soga once more, and dubbed over in English by New Zealander Susan Brady. The footage this time was taken from Mahou Sentai Magiranger. Neither character had any relation to each other besides the same actress originally. The writers decided to connect the two characters as a tribute to Soga, who passed away while Mystic Force was in production. Soga also dubbed in Rita's voice when Power Rangers came to be aired in Japan.
- Rita was originally a Japanese woman designed to look like a stylized witch before becoming Filipino after "The Wedding."
- Her name was a pun on repulsive.
- The character was part of the live stage show tour, again voiced by Barbara Goodson, but sporting a much different look than seen in the series. The purple costume was reminiscent of Rita's portrayal in some U.S. Power Rangers merchandise, including coloring books and school supplies.
- Together with Rito Revolto, Rita Repulsa was the first villain in the franchise revealed to be a child of another villain.
- This also made her the first villain to have familial ties to other villains.
- Rita and Astronema were the only villains of the Zordon Era to reappear in later seasons after they become good in "Countdown to Destruction."
- In "The Fate of Lightspeed" Pt. 2, one of the demons in the Shadow World was a mostly-obscured woman who was wearing Rita Repulsa's costume.
- Witch Bandora - Super Sentai counterpart in Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. See comparison page. (main counterpart)
- Lieutenant Colonel Gara - Super Sentai counterpart in Gosei Sentai Dairanger. See comparison page. (equivalent)
- Heavenly Arch Saint Magiel - Super Sentai counterpart in Mahou Sentai Magiranger. See comparison page. (as the Mystic Mother)
|Power Rangers Mystic Force|
|Nick Russell - Chip Thorn - Madison Rocca - Vida Rocca - Xander Bly - Daggeron - Udonna - Leanbow|
|Mystic Morphers - Snow Staff - Solar Cell Morpher - Wolf Morpher - Fierce Dragon Morpher - Magi Staffs - Mystic Force Fighters - Laser Lamp - Mystic Muscles - Mystic Legend Armor - Mystic Lion Staff - Red Dragon Fire Ranger - Ancient Mystic Mode - Knight Saber - Wolf Shield - Xenotome - Mystic Racers - Mystic Speeder - Mystic Carpet|
|Clare - Toby Slambrook - Phineas - Jenji - Leelee Pimvare - Fire Heart - Tribunal of Magic - Snow Prince - Mystic Mother|
|Zords and Megazords|
|Mystic Phoenix - Mystic Garuda - Mystic Mermaid - Mystic Sprite - Mystic Minotaur - Solar Streak - Catastros - Mystic Firebird - Mystic Lion - Brightstar|
|Mystic Titans: Dragon Formation - Titan Megazord - Centaurus Wolf Megazord - Centaurus Phoenix Megazord - Solar Streak Megazord - Manticore Megazord - Phoenix Unizord|
|Morticon - Necrolai - Koragg, The Knight Wolf - Imperious - Hidiacs - Styxoids|
|Ten Terrors: Sculpin - Magma - Oculous - Serpentina - Megahorn - Hekatoid - Gekkor - Matoombo - Itassis - Black Lance|
|Dark Troll - Mucor - Hydra Worm - Clawbster - Rock Troll - Taxi Cab Monster - Giant Spider - Flytrap - Boney - Skullington - Gargoyle of the Gates - Jester the Pester - Behemoth - Gnatu - Spydex - Screamer - Warmax - Shrieker - 50 Below - Fightoe - Ursus - Chimera|
|View • Edit|