|This article is about a/an foot soldier in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
Though neither particularly strong, intelligent, nor resilient, their basic power of numbers allow them to be a regular challenge to the Power Rangers.
Putties are created in Finster's Monster-Matic. Though apparently made from the same basic clay or putty-like compound as the specialized creations, they differ from normal monsters in that they are mass-produced through use of steam-pressured molds and then sent through the monster machine in large numbers. After being fully cooked, they're ejected one at a time from the exit tube at the far end of the machine. Though generally identical, Putties often display some level of individual personality, and are occasionally given number designations to identify them within a given group. Indeed, not all Putties are created equal, as some examples show even less than the typically lacking skill level. Such Putties are usually broken back down into their clay building blocks and recycled for use in other Putties, and perhaps even monsters. Putties do have some manner of spoken language, though it is incomprehensible to humans, coming across as strings of garbled noises, not unlike the sounds of someone trying to speak while underwater. However, they can speak very fluently when disguised as human beings.
Five Putty Patrollers were given the Badges of Darkness, which contained evil versions of the Ranger powers, turning them into five copies of the six rangers. Under supervision of Goldar, a group of candidate Putty Patrollers underwent physical tests to prove their worth to receive these powers. However, none were worthy of becoming the Red Mutant Ranger and Goldar destroyed the Red Badge of Darkness. The Pink and Yellow Mutants were destroyed by a shot from the Power Blaster, while the remaining three as well as Commander Crayfish, the stand-in for Red Ranger, were destroyed in battle with Ultrazord.
After Lord Zedd's arrival at Rita's Palace and subsequent disposal of their leader, the standard Putty model was discarded in favor of Lord Zedd's personally-created Z Putty Patrollers. They wouldn't be seen again for another 26 years.
The Putty Patrollers returned in the second season of Power Rangers Beast Morphers, after the evil space alien Ryjack reanimates them using a device he has on his person and deploys them to attack the Power Rangers.
Powers and abilities
- Strength: Whilst they are far less powerful than personally crafted monsters, the average Putty is physically stronger than a typical human being. The Putties initially proved powerful enough to easily overpower the Rangers in their unmorphed forms during the first few encounters, though as the Rangers continued to fight them, they eventually learned how to turn this strength against them by outsmarting them.
- Durability: Whilst they are unable to stand up to blows from any kind of weapon, any body blows to a Putty unless they're extremely powerful will not knock them down unless it is a hit to the head.
- Hand to Hand Combatant: Putties are decent at hand-to-hand combat, being able to overpower the Rangers during thier first encounter.
- Adaptability: Putties are shown to easily adapt to any situation and technology should their mission require it, such as the ability to drive vehicles and operate machinery.
- Form Changing: Putties possess the ability to transform into human disguises, including copying another person. When disguised, a Putty is able to speak fluent language, and is otherwise indistinguishable from a human being. Despite their primitive nature, a typical disguised Putty has no trouble blending into human society, able to interact with unknowing people without giving themselves away. This only occurs in the episodes "No Clowning Around" (when they pose as clowns to aid Pineapples the clown), the episode "A Pig Surprise" (when one posed as an old woman to give the Rangers Norman the pig to later turn into Pudgy Pig" and the episode "An Oyster Stew" (when one posed as a hustler to give Zack the Pearls of Stillness created by Oysterizer disguise as a pair of pearls earrings).
- Fists: The typical Putty has no weapons and covers their hands and feet with simple gloves and boots.
- Ball Hands: Select Putties have their right hands encased in large balls, which they can use as clubs.
- Sword Arms: Select Putties feature large blade-like rock formations in place of left hands hands, which are razor sharp.
Despite being produced from seemingly standardized molds, there are a number of differences between given Putties. These changes can be as simple as an enlarged, rocky-looking gauntlet, or even large balls (similar in appearance to a small wrecking ball) and rock-like swords. In some instances, Putties are seen wearing belts, with large round "buckles". These seemingly have no purpose, as Putties do not in fact wear pants. Finally, one rare variation exists where the entire body has a cragged, rocky appearance, in contrast with the much smoother, refined body of the average Putty. This version is not acknowledged in the series, but in the original Zyuranger, such an individual was the leader of the attack force. Since they only appear in the stock footage from Zyuranger, this function cannot reasonably be assigned to the MMPR adaption.
- Bones had the Skeleton Warriors who are skeleton-themed Putty Patrollers.
- Pumpkin Rapper had pumpkin-headed Putty Patrollers.
- Rhinoblaster had football-themed Putty Patrollers.
Behind the Scenes
The Putty Patrollers were voiced by uncredited voice actors and portrayed by a team of suit actors which consisted of:
- Erik Betts
- Jon Agro
- Ed Neil
- Richard Branden
- Tim Bowles
- Hein Nguyen
- Danny Stallcup
- David Wald
- Bridget Rilley
- Although the Putty Patrollers are the first foot soldiers to appear in the franchise, it is well established that there have been many teams before them with the earliest known ones being the Ancient Samurai Rangers.
- Coincidentally, the Putty Patrollers in the Japanese dub are called Golems which is the same name of their Zyuranger counterparts.
- The Game Gear and Super Nintendo editions of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers featured Putties in a variety of different colors. The versions found in the Game Gear version displayed the ability to randomly teleport. The Super Nintendo versions are considerably more versatile, wielding weapons such as knives, maces, shields, rifles and normal swords, as well as the ability to use ninja techniques.
- The Putty Patrollers are the Foot Soldiers who have the most appearances.
- Putty Patrollers returned in Power Rangers Beast Morphers in an adaptation of Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters.
- Something that is very noticeable is that their appearance in the American footage was very different from those of the Japanese Sentai scenes, because the costumes were made of a cheaper material, much brighter and darker than the originals and the stone gloves were smaller . In addition, their masks had many differences with the Sentai, as they were significantly smaller than the originals, most had a mouth with an engraved smile instead of a frown (or sometimes they only had a small hole in the part of the mouth and the part of the engraved smile was discolored), the stripes on the face were much smaller and unremarkable, the color of the masks were a lighter gray and it was noticeable that they were made of a significantly cheaper material, with eyes that were more boys and they were black instead of red, the latter that was corrected with the Z Putties.
- Their successors, the Z Putty Patrol originally had the same masks, but later they had other masks with a material that was more similar to that of the Golems and now had red eyes instead of black, but they still had many of the errors of the previous masks from the original Putties like eye size and mouth size, that kept smiling instead of frowning and some only had a small hole in that part.
- Their appearance in the American Beast Morpher scenes are completely the same as their Sentai counterparts, the Golems.
- Golem Soldiers - Super Sentai counterpart in Zyuranger. See comparison page.
- Super Putty Patrollers - An upgraded model of Rita's Putty Patroller made from Super Putty
- Z Putty Patrollers - Lord Zedd's version of the Putty Patrollers
- Putties (2017 movie) - Putties created by Rita in the movie
- Zolders - The first foot soldiers in Super Sentai history.
|Power Rangers Beast Morphers|
|Devon Daniels - Ravi Shaw - Zoey Reeves - Nate Silva - Steel - Tyler Rinker|
|Beast-X Morpher - Striker Morpher - Beast-X Visor - Morph-X Keys - Beast-X Blaster - Beast-X Saber - Striker Saber - Cheetah Beast Blaster - Cheetah Claws - Beast-X Ultra Blaster - Beast-X King Activator - Beast-X King Ultra Bow - Beast-X Spin Saber|
|Grid Battleforce: Commander Shaw - General Burke - Betty Burke - Ben Burke - Blaze - Roxy - Megan - Cole|
|Civilians: Mayor Adam Daniels - Muriel Reeves - Joey - Regina Collins - Dr. Walsh - Kerry Dixon - Mike Reeves|
|Captain Chaku - Dino Charge Rangers - Legendary Dino Rangers - Doctor K - Colonel Mason Truman - Keeper|
|Zords & Megazords|
|Racer Zord - Wheeler Zord - Chopper Zord - Wrecker Zord - Jet Zord - Beast-X King Zord - Reptillobeast|
|Racer Zord Battle Mode - Beast-X Megazord - Wrecker Zord Battle Mode - Striker Megazord - Beast-X Ultrazord - Beast-X King Zord Battle Mode - Beast-X King Megazord - Beast-X King Ultrazord|
|Generals: Scrozzle - Blaze - Roxy - Vargoyle|
|Foot Soldiers: Tronics - Gigatronics|
|Zords: Blaze's Megazord - Chimera Zord - Omegadrone|
|Season One: Cycletron - Needletron - Shoveltron - Slicertron - Meltatron - Railtron - Vacuutron - Antennatron - Drilltron - Tooltron - Clonetron - Tubatron - Tubatron 2.0 - Burnertron - Turbotron - Shockatron - Spiketron - Infernotron|
|Season Two: Drilltron 2.0 - Trappertron - Gamertron - Keytron - Digitron - Controlatron - Dumbbelltron - Boxertron - Tiaratron - Bulldozertron - Thieftron - Clawtron - Antennatron 2.0 - Railtron 2.0|
|Season One: Cycledrone - Needledrone - Shoveldrone - Slicerdrone - Meltadrone - Raildrone - Vacuudrone - Antennadrone - Drilldrone - Tooldrone - Delta Gigadrone 1 - Clonedrone - Tubadrone - Tubadrone 2.0 - Burnerdrone - Turbodrone - Shockadrone - Unidentified Gigadrone 1 - Unidentified Gigadrone 2 - Spikedrone - Delta Gigadrone 2 - Infernodrone|
|Season Two: Drilldrone 2.0 - Trapperdrone - Gamerdrone - Keydrone - Digidrone - Controladrone - Alphadrone - Betadrone - Gammadrone - Deltadrone - Tiaradrone - Bulldozerdrone - Unidentified Gigadrone 3 - Unidentified Gigadrone 4 - Thiefdrone - Clawdrone - Antennadrone 2.0|
|Sledge - Snide - Poisandra - Wrench - Fury - Curio - Vivix|
|Ryjack - Goldar - Putty Patrollers - Triptoids|
|View • Edit|