|This article is about a/an movie re-imagining of a series in the Power Rangers franchise.|
|WARNING: This movie contains scenes of blood, bloodshed, graphic violence, language, cannibalism, murder and character death. Viewer discretion is advised!|
Power Rangers is an American superhero film that serves as a modern re-imagining of the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers television series produced by SCG Films, Temple Hill Entertainment and Toei Company, with effects done by Weta Workshop. The film was released on March 24, 2017 and grossed over $142 million worldwide, making it a box office disappointment. It is the first movie in 20 years since Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie.
On May 7, 2014 a new Power Rangers movie was announced. It was originally reported to be a reboot of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and was made by Lionsgate and Saban Brands. Executive Producer Roberto Orci has since said that "It's got a continuity within the world". However, he later left the project due to scheduling issues with Star Trek Beyond.
Saban's Power Rangers follows five ordinary high school kids who must become something extraordinary when they learn that their small town of Angel Grove – and the world – is on the verge of being obliterated by an alien threat. Chosen by destiny, our heroes quickly discover that they are the only ones who can save the planet. But to do so they will have to overcome their real-life issues and band together as the Power Rangers before it is too late.
Continuity and Placement
- The film's events takes place in an alternate universe outside of the prime continuity.
In the Cenozoic-era, six interplanetary warriors, the Power Rangers, are tasked with protecting life on Earth and the Zeo Crystal. The Green Ranger, Rita Repulsa, betrays them and plans to dominate the universe. The Red Ranger, Zordon, survives Rita's attack and hides five of the Rangers' power source, the Power Coins. He orders Alpha 5 to perform a meteor strike that kills him and sends Rita to the bottom of the sea, foiling her scheme.
In 21st century Angel Grove, high school football star Jason Scott is dismissed from the team and placed under house arrest after a failed prank and is also given Saturday Detention for the rest of the school year. In school detention, he encounters Billy Cranston and Kimberly Hart. After defending Billy from a bully, Billy offers to deactivate Jason's ankle monitor for help at an old gold mine that evening. Once there, Jason leaves to explore and runs into Kimberly. Billy detonates explosives to break some rock, attracting the attention of Jason, Kimberly, and nearby students, Trini and Zack. The five discover the Power Coins and each take one. While escaping mine security, their car is hit by a train. The five find themselves at home the next morning and discover they have been granted superhuman abilities. Elsewhere, Rita's body is found. Waking, she goes on a rampage, hunting pieces of gold to raise her minion Goldar to find the Zeo Crystal.
The five teenagers return to the mine and discover an ancient spaceship where they meet Alpha 5 and Zordon's consciousness. They inform the teenagers about the Rangers history and Rita, warning that they have eleven days until Rita has her full power, finds the Zeo Crystal, and uses it to destroy life on Earth. The five leave the ship with no intention of returning until Zordon pleads with Jason to convince the team.
The five return to train the next day, but they cannot morph. They spend the next week training against simulated Putties and trying unsuccessfully to morph. To inspire the Rangers, Alpha reveals the Zords. Zack takes his Zord out for a joyride and almost kills the other Rangers when he crashes it. This angers Jason, and they fight. While trying to separate the two, Billy spontaneously morphs. However, when he becomes conscious of it, the armor disappears. Angered at their lack of progress, Zordon dismisses the group. Jason returns to the ship to confront Zordon and discovers that once the Rangers morph, it will open the Morphing Grid and allow Zordon to restore himself in a physical body. Feeling betrayed, Jason accuses Zordon of using the team for his own benefit. The team camp at the mine and bond with each other.
Later that night, Rita attacks Trini and orders her to bring the Rangers to the docks. Trini informs them about Rita and they arrive to fight, but are quickly defeated. Rita forces Billy to reveal the location of the Zeo Crystal, kills him, and releases the others. The Rangers take Billy's body to the ship and ask Zordon to resurrect him. The Rangers agree they would give their lives for each other and resolve to defeat Rita. In doing so, they unlock the Morphing Grid. Zordon revives Billy, sacrificing being able to restore his physical self. With the team restored and confident, the Rangers morph into their armor.
Rita creates Goldar, raises an army of Putties, and attacks Angel Grove to find the Zeo Crystal, which Billy discovered during training to be under the local Krispy Kreme. The Rangers battle the Putties and head to Angel Grove in their Zords. After the Rangers destroy the Putties, Goldar pushes the Rangers and their Zords into a fiery pit. In the pit, the Zords combine, forming the Megazord. Rita merges with Goldar. The Rangers battle and destroy Goldar. After refusing Jason's offer to surrender, a defiant Rita tells the Rangers that more will come for the crystal and leaps at the Megazord only to be slapped into space. The Rangers are praised as local heroes, and with Rita's threats foiled, they return to their normal lives.
In a mid-credits scene, in detention, the teacher announces that Tommy Oliver will be joining them, but the desk is empty save for a green jacket with a dragon etched on it, while Billy's locker explodes in the hallway.
- Sam Scott - Jason's father
- Beverly Scott - Jason's mother
- Pearl Scott - Jason's sister
- Amanda Clarke and Rebecca - Kimberly's former friends
- "Hawkeye" - a football player
- Detention teacher
- Damo - Jason's friend
- Mr. Kwan and June Kwan - Trini's parents
- Trini's Brothers
- Candace Cranston - Billy's mother
- Ted and Maddy Hart - Kimberly's parents
- Zack's mother
- Captain Bowen
- Officer Bebe
- Colt Wallace - detention bully
- Tommy Oliver - detention student (mid credit scene)
- Legend:◆ piloted zord
- Megazord ◆◆◆◆◆
- Dacre Montgomery as Jason Scott
- Becky Gomez as Trini Kwan
- Ludi Lin as Zack Taylor
- Naomi Scott as Kimberly Hart
- RJ Cyler as Billy Cranston
- Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa
- Bryan Cranston as Zordon
- Bill Hader as Alpha 5
- Sarah Grey as Amanda Clarke
- Emily Maddison as Rebecca
- Cody Kearsley as 'Hawkeye', a football player
- John Stewart as the detention teacher
- Matt Shively as Damo, Jason's friend
- Wesley MacInnes as Colt Wallace 
- Amitai Marmosein as a geek
- Patrick Sabongui  as Mr. Kwan
- David Denman as Sam Scott: Jason's father
- Caroline Cave as Beverly Scott: Jason's mother
- Lisa Berry as Candace Cranston: Billy's mother
- Robert Moloney as Ted Hart: Kimberly's father
- Anjali Jay as Maddy Hart: Kimberly's mother
- Erica Cerra as June Kwan: Trini's mother
- Kayden Magnuson as Pearl Scott, Jason's sister.
- Fiona Fu as Zack's mother
- Garry Chalk as Captain Bowen
- Jaime Callica as Officer Bebe
- Donald Adams as the homeless man
- Fred Tatasciore as the voice of Goldar and the Putties
- Jason David Frank as a citizen (cameo)
- Amy Jo Johnson as a citizen (cameo)
- Fiona Vroom as the Fenix (jewelry store saleswoman)/Yellow Ranger (I)
- Sharon Simms as Rita Repulsa/Green Ranger (prologue)
Talks for a sequel were announced on June 28, 2017. Despite its sluggish performance at the box office in certain countries, most notably China, the movie made a record profit from toy sales in the UK to make back its budget. The first film's director Dean Israelite has stated he would like for Lord Zedd to be the villain of the next movie. In May 2018, Hasbro announced plans to produce Power Rangers movies, though they did not specify if they would share the continuity of the 2017 film. In August of the same year, it was confirmed that Hasbro would make a direct sequel to the film.However, in the Ask Me Anything thread on the Stranger Things subreddit, Dacre Montgomery revealed that the studio also had plans to produce another movie, but without him and the rest of the cast returning. On December 13, 2019, The Hollywood Reporter has reported that Jonathan Entwistle is in early negotiations to direct the reboot and Patrick Burleigh will penned the script.
- to be added
- The Japanese red carpet premiere was attended by Yūta Mochizuki, who portrayed Yamato Tribe Prince Geki in the original Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, and Takumi Kizu, who starred as Lucky in the concurrent Uchu Sentai Kyuranger. Notably, Kizu attended the premiere in-character as Lucky.
- While Ocean Bluff is seen on a street sign as "Ocean Bluff Rd.", cities such as "Mariner Bay" and "Reefside" are confirmed to exist by Sam Scott, which are references to Power Rangers Jungle Fury, Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue, and Power Rangers Dino Thunder respectively.
- Though Mr. Kwan and Colt are not named in the credits, their names are given by actor Mr. Kwan's actor Patrick Sabongui and seen on-screen in a report on Billy.
- When the Rangers board their Battle Zords to go into Angel Grove, Alpha 5 shouts "Go Go, Power Rangers!", a nod to the original theme song.
- The movie makes use of "Go Go Power Rangers" by the Power Rangers orchestra, as heard in the original movie's soundtrack.
- The movie is notable for being the first big budget superhero film to feature an LGBTQIA+ hero (Trini) and another on the autism spectrum (Billy).
- Day of the Dumpster - Power Rangers counterpart in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Season 1). See comparison page.
- Green With Evil - Power Rangers counterpart in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Season 1). See comparison page.
- Official website
- Angel Grove High School website
- Official Japanese website
- Official Facebook
- Official UK Facebook
- Official Japanese Facebook
- Official Twitter
- Official UK Twitter
- Official Japanese Twitter
- Official Instagram
- http://www.thewrap.com/dean-israelite-in-negotiations-to-direct-power-rangers-movie-for-lionsgate-exclusive/ Director revealed
- http://angelgrovehighschool.com/post/153523081468/the-roar-you-know 'Bully' named.
- Hasbro Confirms Plans For New Power Rangers Movies
- IGN - POWER RANGERS MOVIE SEQUEL IN THE WORKS
- https://comicbook.com/powerrangers/2019/07/12/power-rangers-movie-reboot-again-new-cast-after-2017-flop/ Power Rangers Movie to Reboot Again With New Cast After 2017 Flop
- 'Power Rangers' Reboot in the Works With Creator of 'It's the End of the F---ing World' (Exclusive)