|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|"Ooo ha ha ha! Watch this, Power Rangers!"|
|―Pirantishead's first words when confronted by the Power Rangers in the warehouse district of Angel Grove. After saying this, he blasted the city.[src]|
|"I’m afraid, this time, you’re gonna be left out in the cold!"|
|―Pirantishead before he froze four of the Dinozords.[src]|
|"Hey! What, what? No fair!"|
|―Pirantishead reacting to the Power Blaster and his final words before his initial defeat.[src]|
|"I'M HUNGRY! Ah, lunch!"|
|―Pirantishead upon being enlarged.[src]|
When Lord Zedd takes over Rita Repulsa's palace, he creats his Z Putty Patrollers and sends them to destroy the Power Rangers but they are decimated. Despite this temporary setback, and to try to still one-up Rita, Zedd uses his Z Staff to transform a piranha in the Rampoon River into Pirantishead and he teleports to Angel Grove. Pirantishead is one of the most formidable monsters the Rangers ever faced and his weapon are a pair of chain-linked fish shaped flutes that double as nunchaku. During the course of his existence, Lord Zedd appears to be continually feeding Pirantishead energy from his staff and continuously making him stronger. The Rangers arrive in the warehouse district and finds Pirantishead sitting on a rooftop behind them. He blasts the city with his flute so they immediately summon the Dinozords. However, using his flute, Pirantishead is able to freeze the Sabertooth Tiger, Triceratops, Mastodon, and Pterodactyl Dinozords in time and space which renders them unusable.
Pirantishead leaves the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord unfrozen but, before Jason can enter the cockpit, Lord Zedd powered him up with lightning. Now enhanced, Pirantishead takes control of it and uses it against the Rangers, blasting them down with the Zord's ground breath attack. Luckily, Tommy arrives (after being empowered by Zordon since the Putty fight severely weakened his powers) and summons the Dragonzord to protect them. However, the Tyrannosaurus manages to fight the Dragonzord to a stalemate which enables Pirantishead to take control of that Zord as well. Pirantishead then has the Dragonzord take down all five Rangers with the wind from a tail swing and then completely vanishes from the scene when the two Dinozords go on a rampage. In the meantime, Zordon reveals that it was impossible to unfreeze the Dinozords since they will never give them enough power to get free which means that they need to replace the entire Zord fleet (bar the Dragonzord) with new Zords. To this end, he introduces the new Thunderzords to the Power Rangers but they still need to free the Dinozords to use them as a blueprint. To this end, Billy and Trini are able to create a signal jammer to free the Dinozords from Pirantishead.
Now confident that victory was at hand, Zedd sends Pirantishead down to attack the city again. He appears in the countryside along the Fifth Annual Children’s Hospital Charity Motor Marathon racetrack but the Power Rangers don't immediately respond since they don't want to get potentially crippled by the controlled Zords. On the other hand however, he is threatening the entire race and everyone involved so the Rangers are forced to respond even in spite of the Zord danger. Pirantishead then confronts them by standing on a hill only to teleport away so that Zedd can teleport down his Putties. However, Pirantishead has not actually left and instead moved to a different area where he takes control of the motorcycles used by Bulk and Skull after they accidentally drive into one another which makes them go berserk and ride in a big circle. He then reactivates his Zords which deliver a beat down to the Rangers and start to terrorize them. However, he stops the attack for no reason and sends them to attack the Motor Marathon with the Rangers being unable to stop them due to their power and the Tyrannosaurus' breath attack just blew up a dust storm. Luckily, the racers escape because none of the missiles actually make contact with them. Billy and Trini arrive with their signal jammer which will interfere with the Zord control but it doesn't work since the batteries are in backwards. Thinking that victory was at hand, Pirantishead gets down to ground level and has the Zords charge with more mist blasts. To buy time for Billy to fix the signal jammer, the Rangers form the Power Blaster and fire at Pirantishead, first aiming at the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord, and then at Pirantishead who initially panics. Likely because they were rushing to prevent the Zords from retaliating, the Power Blaster blast mostly misses Piratishead as it is aimed a little low but the explosion does burn his feet and cause him to hop around before collapsing.
After the Zords are returned to the Rangers' control by the now working signal jammer, Lord Zedd attempts to bury them deep into the Earth, with the exception of the Dragonzord which Tommy hastily withdraws into the ocean, but Alpha is able to save them and transform them into the new Thunderzords. In retaliation, Zedd threw the first of his special Growth Bombs which Pirantishead caught and used to slam into the ground which enlarged him. The Rangers then withdrew to the Command Center and were given their Zords before deploying to fight Pirantishead in the countryside by forming their new Thunder Megazord. Pirantishead then tried to take control of the Thunderzords but the format was immune to his influence so he knocked it back with his nunchaku before wrapping it up. He then electrocuted it but the formation sent a reverse charge along it which obliterated the chain and knocked Pirantishead down. Now enraged, the monster now discarded the now useless nunchaku and announced that he planned to destroy it with his bare fins. However, the Rangers energized the Thunder Megazord's Thunder Saber and slew him with a single slash before he could make good on that threat. All Pirantishead could do was scream in pain, spin on the spot, and fall flat on his face before the first of Zedd's monster was destroyed. Pirantishead's demise led Zedd to decide to stay on Earth and try to destroy the Rangers, leading to his succeeding schemes.
A few months later, after half of the Power Rangers were replaced and Tommy became the new White Ranger and leader of the Power Rangers, new Red Ranger Rocky DeSantos is acting as a volunteer lifeguard at Angel Grove Lake and is trying to motivate a paranoid child named Dougie by claiming that he has never seen a monster in the lake. Inspired, Lord Zedd decides to bring forth an army of fish monsters to destroy the Power Rangers through sheer numbers and prove Rocky wrong. After the Slippery Shark is resurrected and beats them down, Zedd senses his impending victory and resurrects both Pirantishead and the Goo Fish to help him finish them off. Fortunately, Alpha finally gets through to Tommy as he and the remaining two Rangers emerge from the ocean and has them morph to help. Pirantishead fights Billy but is immediately wiped out by a jump kick to the back. The monsters are all amazed at the new arrivals but they and the Rangers then pile in for one big brawl. After Tommy takes down the Slippery Shark, Pirantishead slashes Rocky down the front with his chain flute but he is unfazed and spins away from another. Rocky runs past another swing, shrugs off a kick, kicks Pirantishead in the face to no effect, and swing kicks Pirantishead down. With his scheme falling apart, Zedd creates the Tube Monster and uses a Growth Bomb to make him giant in order to destroy Angel Grove whilst the Power Rangers are busy. However, due to Zedd not thinking out his plan correctly, Tommy remains behind to battle the other aquatic monsters whilst the other Power Rangers summon their Thunderzords. Whilst the Thunder Megazord slays the Tube Monster, Tommy lightning slashes his way through the fish monsters with Saba which causes them to cease to exist.
Pirantishead appears again, battling the Rangers and trying to steal radioactive Piranhas from the Angel Grove Aquarium. In this appearance, Pirantishead lacked the fish fins on the side of his head and the monster's name is spelt as "Pirantis-Head." Also, he was referred to as Zedd's latest creation and the comic version is white all over except for the green hands, and green fin on his head. The radioactive fish made himself grow in the water, but the Rangers defeated him with with the Ninja Megazord. Unlike most monsters however, he does not explode and is instead was uppercut into the air and that was the last time he appears, the single blow apparently ending him.
Pirantishead was a sinister, cunning and unpredictable monster, as he turned the Dinozords against the Power Rangers. He was also proven to devious and sadistic but was intensely loyal and faithful to Lord Zedd.
Powers and Abilities
- Teleportation: Pirantishead could teleport to any location at will in a large grey energy swirl.
- Strength: Pirantishead was amongst the most powerful monsters faced in the original three seasons, being able to knock back the Thunder Megazord with single throws of his nunchaku. However, he did mainly rely on the Dinozords in combat.
- Durability: Pirantishead had extremely thick fish scale like skin that meant that, when blasted by the Power Blaster, he only performed an Irish jig.
- Skilled Fighter: Pirantishead was a skilled enough fighter to easily be able to defeat the Rangers using his weapons, skills and the Dinozords.
to be added
- Nunchaku Flutes: Pirantishead wielded a pair of flutes that were connected by chains and doubled as nunchaku to use in combat. However, their main function was controlling the Zords.
- Energy Blasts: Pirantishead could play his flute to unleash energy blasts powerful enough to take down all five Rangers and cause large explosions in the city.
- Machine Control: Pirantishead could play his flute and blast the Zords with a white mist that allows his complete control over them.
- Machine Freezing: Pirantishead could freeze machines in time using this same technique as shown when he performed this on the other Dinozords.
- Chain Wrap: Pirantishead could throw his chain which makes it wrap around his enemies, as shown when he did this to the Thunder Megazord.
- Electrocution: Pirantishead could slam his fist down on the chain to send an electrical charge along it that electrocuted the Thunder Megazord.
- Fins: Even without his flute, Pirantishead had his bare fins that he claimed he would use to "tear apart" the Thunder Megazord. However, he was destroyed before he could use them.
Behind the Scenes
- Pirantishead was voiced by producer Scott Page-Pagter and had a voice identical to the Oysterizer from the previous episode.
to be added
to be added
- Pirantishead came from what is commonly referred to as Zyu2 footage, and was not seen in the original Zyuranger.
- Pirantishead was originally supposed to have been destroyed by the original Ultrazord which one can tell with the superimposed explosion over his face. Recently released Zyu2 footage shows that Pirantishead did indeed fight Megazord and Dragonzord instead of the Thunder Megazord. In the fight Pirantishead once again takes control of Dragonzord and commanding it to fight the Megazord which explains why Dragonzord was absent during the fight with the Thunder Megazord.
- Despite Pirantishead playing his flute to use his energy blasts, freeze mist, and Zord control smoke, one can clearly see that the mist itself was coming from the center of his mouth. This was most evident when he takes control of Bulk and Skull's vehicles.
- Pirantishead's costume was later adorned with Hate Master's "hair," recolored blue, had the fins on the side of his head removed, and later used in background shots in the episodes Fire in Your Tank (where it was among the monsters in Divatox's boot camp) and Countdown to Destruction (where it was among the monsters in Rita and Zedd's army). Fans have named this monster Blue Grouperhead.
- This suit butchering was also why Pirantishead himself did not appear in Countdown to Destruction.
to be added