|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|"I'm Octoplant. Gaze upon me. Tremble."|
|―The Octoplant's first words after fully blossoming.[src]|
|―The Octoplant upon being enlarged.[src]|
The Octoplant was a female plant monster who served as the main antagonist of the episode "Rita's Seed of Evil."
Using a plan seemingly conceived by Goldar, Rita planned to plant the Octoplant in the ground and defend it until it could fully mature, grow as big as the planet Earth, and crush it until it explodes with her tentacles. Squatt was sent to plant it and did so although only after some shenanigans with Bulk and Skull. Although the Rangers saw him and tried to stop him, he had already planted the seeds and the Putty Patrol arrived, allowing him to escape. Before hatching, her tentacles grew and attacked people throughout Angel Grove Park and eventually found Jason alone. He morphed to fight the tentacles but was lifted into the air and strangled, almost to the point of death. Luckily, he was saved by the other Rangers who cut the vine with their Blade Blasters Blade Mode. However, to prevent the Rangers from destroying the seedling, Rita sent Goldar, Scorpina and the Putties to keep them occupied. The plan worked and the plant grew into the Octoplant monster who Rita immediately made grow. Trini and her exchanged insults, Octoplant calling her a puny animal and Trini calling her an "overgrown petal pusher", before the Rangers called their Dinozords.
The monster blasted the Zords but they survived it and formed the Megazord. The monster shrugged off multiple punches from the Megazord and knocked it back. The monster then wrapped up the Megazord with a giant green tentacle and blasted the formation whilst it was helpless. Although they survived it, Jason announced that their main power was shot and another blast would be the end of them before the Octoplant charged. Unfortunately for her, they called on the Power Sword which cut through the vines and the Rangers rolled away from the charging monster. The monster got distracted when she gazed at her own reflection in a glass building and the Rangers took advantage of the opportunity and powered up the Power Sword. The monster heard it being energized and turned but was too late to prevent her own death.
Just like many others, Octoplant was a cunning, intelligent and unpredictable monster. She was very dangerous opponent for the Rangers. As seen after she grew, she was very haughty and disrespectful, calling the Rangers "puny animals." However, her main weakness was her selfishness and narcissism as they tricked her by looking at her reflection and finally defeated her.
Powers and abilities
- Strength: Octoplant was strong enough that her tentacles were able to pick up Jason by his neck as well as knock back the Dino Megazord.
- Durability: Octoplant's body is made of vegetable matter so proved completely immune to multiple punches and kicks from the Dino Megazord.
- Energy Blasts: Octoplant can fire devastating red energy blasts from her eyes. This is one of the strongest attacks in Season 1 since Jason said one blast knocked thier main power systems offline and a second blast would finish them off.
- Growth: Unlike other contexts where it means that the Octoplant makes herself a giant instead of a main villain, that doesn't apply here. According to Goldar, Octoplant can make herself and her tentacles grow to the size of the Earth.
- Fists: Although she lacked any real weapons, Octoplant can easily overwhelm the Megazord with her bare hands and feet.
- Tentacles: Octoplant had giant green tentacles that she can use to tie up and bind her enemies with. One particular tentacle was attached to her arm after growing and wrapped up the Megazord.
Behind The Scenes
- Octoplant is voiced by Brianne Sidall in her first monster role.
- Octoplant is one of only two female monsters in the first season, the other is Madame Woe.
- Ironically Octoplant was female, but her counterpart Dora Narcissus was male. This was probably changed due to flowers being seen as feminine in the west instead of gender neutral as in places like Japan.
- In Zyuranger, Dora Narcissus used his second form more often to attack people whereas Octoplant was grown immediately after becoming a monster.
- The reason for this is because he was exclusively around either Japanese children or unmorphed Goushi/ZyuBlack before growing.
- After being struck by the Power Sword, she can be heard crying the whole time she was falling in defeat, as if she were mourning her own death.