|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "Time’s up Green Ranger. You can't escape!"
- ―The Octophantom's first words upon being created.[src]
- "Ah ha ha! Four down and two to go. Huh huh huh!"
- ―The Octophantom after capturing all but two Rangers.[src]
- "Bweh ha ha ha ha ha!"
- ―The Octophantom when he was grown.[src]
- "Oh no!"
- ―The Octophantom's final words before his destruction.[src]
The Octophantom was an octopus/elephant monster who served as the eponymous main antagonist of the episode "The Power Stealer."
Lord Zedd noticed that the Power Rangers had formed thier own little club to clean up Angel Grove and saw an opportunity to stop the Power Rangers once and for all. He decided to create the Octophantom to steal the Rangers' powers and trap them inside his magical jar which would leave the Earth completely open to invasion and conquest. When the Rangers and their little clean-up club entered Angel Grove Park to clean up the area, Zedd sent down his Putties to attack and isolate them. Part way through the fight, Zedd created the Octophantom out of thin air where he immediately confronted Tommy who he immediately told to give up and not bother fighting. However, before he could capture him, Jason and Kimberly morphed and came to his aid. Unfortunately, with Kimberly and Jason quite a ways away, he was easily able to successfully capture Tommy in his magical jar. Despite the fact that Jason and Kimberly were completely defenceless, the Octophantom decided to teleport away with his Putties.
After Zedd confronted Tommy in some cave, he decided to send the Octophantom to start gratifying to lure out the remaining Rangers to kidnap them. He went to West Union Park and started to graffiti on some fake Easter Island heads with some black paint he happened to have. The remaining five Rangers all morphed and flipped into battle before jump punching the Octophantom just to get thrown off just by the monster standing up. He then threw some explosive starfish at the five and the team rolled and avoided the initial volley but the second stuck to them and took them all out. They quickly recovered but got over zealous and everyone except for Billy attacked just to take a nasty beating. Even Kimberly and Trini's Blade Blasters were defected and another jump punch from Jason and Zack just resulted in them getting thrown onto stone. The Octophantom prepared to finish them off but saw himself in a reflective bin and admired himself which Billy took notice of. However, even with the knowledge obtained, the Octophantom was able to capture Zack, Kimberly and Trini immediately although Jason rolled away and Billy was already clear of the suction. Jason demanded that he return his friends but the Octophantom just told Jase to meet him at Angel Grove Quarry before teleporting away.
Before departing for the quarry, Jason and Billy created a plan to use a mirror in order to occupy the Octophantom and free their friends. Jason would keep the Octophantom occupied whilst Billy created some device to exploit his vane personality flaw. Jason quickly left for the quarry where he soon confronted the Octophantom and found his four captive friends tied to poles atop a nearby mound of earth. The Octophantom taunted him by reminding him that he was alone but the Rangers were with Jason "in spirit" so the monster jumped up and punched him down. Once Jason recovered, he was punched and grabbed before getting kneed twice in the gut and thrown to the ground. The Octophantom then produced his jar and prepared to suck him into captivity as well but the Power Lance flew in and stabbed him back. Billy then ran into battle and gave Jason a Mirror Shield to manipulate the monster's vanity to their advantage. They split up, Jason fighting the Octophantom whilst Billy went to free the others but not before they had to roll away when the monster blasted them with his eyebeams. Jason took him on, managing to block two punches and even swing kick him back only to get punched so hard that he went flying in spite of the hit landing on the Mirror Shield. After gloating that the shield would not aid Jason, he ensnared and pulled in the Ranger before slapping him across the quarry. However, before he could impale Jason on a scepter he owned, he opened the shield and revealed a mirror which reflected the Octophantom's appearance. The monster fell for the trick, discarding the sceptre and gawking at himself in it's surface which allowed Jason to roll to safety and blast him down with his Blade Blaster. Billy then freed the others and the team regrouped to assemble the Power Blaster.
Before they could do so however, Zedd threw a Growth Bomb to Earth which the Octophantom caught and slammed into the ground which made him grow. Since Tommy was so weak that Billy had to have him teleported back to the Command Center, the Rangers were alone and they summoned thier Thunderzords. After they formed the Thunder Megazord, he was knocked back by a Power Punch but recovered and warned them to watch his trunk before he punched it back with a powerful hit to the chest. However, they immediately recovered and drew the Thunder Saber to stab him in the trunk which really enraged him and he punched it so hard that the cockpit exploded. He then "nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh'd" at it but they took him down with an energy tornado launched from the Thunder Saber and then used it to finish him off. All he could do was scream as he stumbled forward before slipping onto his side and exploding.
The Octophantom was recreated by Finster so that he could accompany Rito Revolto, Fighting Flea, Lizzinator, and Stag Beetle in destroying the Thunder Megazord and White Tigerzord. He is defeated early in the fight by a kick from the Thunder Megazord but recovers after the fight and cheers with Rito and the other three monsters following the destruction of the Rangers' Zords and powers. Soon after, he is in attendance with the other monsters at Zedd and Rita's palace after destroying the Thunderzords, but is not seen again afterwards although he likely settled down peacefully afterwards.
Later on in the same year, he took part in Rita and Zedd's army on a planet in the Vica Galaxy during the United Alliance of Evil's invasion of the universe. It is unknown if this was the one from "Ninja Quest" and he returned to help his old masters or if this was a recreation made by Finster. He is believed to have been destroyed with the army of monsters by Zordon's Energy Wave since he never made another appearance.
Despite Lord Zedd designing him as the most hideous monster I can think of," the Octophantom is very vain and considers himself very handsome and was also rather poncey and doesn't like to get hit in his face (especially his trunk). He was impressively prideful and narcissistic, considering himself very handsome. The Octophantom didn't like to get hit in his face, especially his trunk. However, his utter stupidity contributed to his own demise since him letting Jason and Kimberly go ultimately let the former use his vanity against him. His narcissism was his greatest weakness though as he was eventually defeated because of his vanity but was above all loyal to Rita and Zedd.
Powers and Abilities
- Strength: The Octophantom was a decently strong monster, being able to throw off the main five Rangers when they jump punched him. When giant, single punches knocked back the Thunder Megazord and shook up the cockpit severely.
- Durability: The Octophantom was stabbed in the mouth by the Power Lance but was completely unfazed. When giant, multiple punches to the trunk from the Thunder Megazord had no effect and a Thunder Saber stab to the trunk had no effect on him.
- Starfish Bomb Projection: The Octophantom could also throw starfish like objects capable of exploding with enough force to down the main five Rangers.
- Teleportation: The Octophantom could teleport to any location at will by fading into orange energy and flying into the ground
- Fighting Skill: The Octophantom was skilled enough to take on and overpower four of the five main Rangers with his bare hands as well as overpower Jason using his staff. Even when Trini and Kimberly pulled out thier Power Weapons, he easily best them down.
- Energy Blasts: The Octoplant on can fire massive dark orange beams from his eyes.
- Tractor Beam Projection: The Octophantom could fire red lightning from his hands capable of pulling Jason closer to him.
- Damage Inducing: The Octophantom's energy beam could be seen injuring Jason.
- Staff: The Octophantom has a long staff with a sharp tip at the end for combat. He lost this when he saw himself in the mirror and willingly discarded it.
- Jar: The Octophantom has a large Chinese style jar that he can use to suck up the Rangers and trap them for Zedd.
Behind the Scenes
- The Octophantom was voiced by Eddie Frierson in his first role in the franchise. He would later voice the far more well known Blue Globbor.
- The Octophantom comes from what is commonly referred to as Zyu2 footage, and was not seen in the original Zyuranger.
- The Octophantom was originally intended to be destroyed by the Dino Megazord's Power Sword as evidenced by the pink energy slash that can be seen going across him when he died.
- Released Zyu2 footage shows the Octophantom & Rita Repulsa's original Putties, the Octophantom spewing green goo from his trunk to paint the East Island Heads, Zack and the girls on crosses and also further confirms that he originally fought the Megazord instead of the Thunder Megazord.
- The first was cut due to the being completely pointless, the second due to being grim and unnecessary, the third due to heavy religious imagery and the very visible presence of the original Putties on top of blade hands in close proximity to the Rangers' throats, and the fourth was changed due to the switch of Zord fleets.
- The Octophantom was the only Zyu2 monster to appear in the same shot as the Thunder Megazord (in Season 2).
- However, this only consisted of his fist hitting it in the chest multiple times.
- The Octophantom was originally supposed to be defeated by the Power Blaster but it was cut from the final episode, most likely for time.
- However, a remnant remains in the finished episode since there is a brief shot of Zedd's growth bomb exploding indicating that the Octophantom was struck by a Power Blaster attack.
- The Octophantom was one of only two monsters created by Zedd without the use of an object, the other being Flame Head.
- This was probably because he was a hybrid of an octopus and an elephant and these creatures do not exist in the same habitats, thus meaning he couldn't use his magic to fuse them together.
- The Octophantom had a similar name to the Octoplant and possessed the same weakness which are mirrors.