|This article is about a/an set of characters in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Power Rangers Dino Fury.|
|" It seemed the Earth too would be lost. Until, the legendary Morphin Masters arrived. Ageless beings with untold power. They were here to help us. I'd heard of the Morphin Grid before but I had no idea how strong it was. The Morphin Grid joined us with the spirits of the dinosaurs."|
|―Zayto recounting his meeting with the Morphin Masters during the Great Sporix Wars.[src]|
The Morphin Masters are a civilization that studies the Morphin Grid. Some of them are instrumental in creating the very power sources various Ranger teams use through all of time and space.
|This article contains content in reference to the main TV series, as well as supplemental material, such as the comics. A sliding/floating timeline applies. Story instances for TV and other media will be clearly marked.|
The Morphin Masters are a civilization that studies the Morphin Grid. Members of this civilization all have "morphin hearts" and live near Masterforges.They devoted themselves to studying the Morphin Grid's singular nature.
One of the Morphin Masters, Morphinaut, was able to enter the Morphin Grid. However, having found a great evil inside, he detonated the gate to the Masterforge- what allowed him access, and trapped himself in with the evil to keep it from getting out. However, the Masterforges soon started collapsing one by one and both the Morphinaut and the evil were freed. The attack on the Masterforges forced the civilian populace of the Morphin Masters to evacuate by "ascending".
It is known that they are responsible for creating the Ninja Nexus Prism, which empowered the Ninja Steel Rangers, but also the Dino Gems which powered the Dino Rangers, as well as the Energems for the Dino Charge Rangers. The original Power Coins were forged by Ninjor, who housed books written by the Masters within his temple which may explain how he was able to create them.
Zordon refers to them as a group of ancient sorcerers who threw the chest containing Power Eggs into the sea millions of years ago. The sorcerers hid a universe of power within two mystical Power Eggs by casting the eggs into the sea. They believed that their ancient ancestors would look down on the eggs and protect them from universal danger.
After the Morphin Masters discover a planet of Zeo Crystals, Praetor and his Solar Rangers severed that universe from the Morphin Grid to protect the Splintered Star from evil with the Solarix Morpher to help drain the Morphin energy of the said planet till it was safe enough to rejoin. Unfortunately, this also creates a nightmarish hellscape dubbed the Void, which was devoid of any and all life.
The Morphin Masters are represented by a trio of Emissaries; Red, Blue and Yellow.
As the Sporix Beasts gained the upper hand against the Knights of Rafkon and their dinosaur allies, six of the Morphin Masters emerged from a portal and granted the Knights of Rafkon the powers of the new Dino Fury Power Rangers before turning their dinosaur friends into Zords for them. They then left back to wherever they came from and the Dino Fury Rangers easily sealed the Sporix Beasts back into their eggs.
Due to their limited appearances and screen-time as well as mysterious nature, almost nothing is known of the Morphin Masters. What is certain is that they are pseudo neutral beings willing to create special devices to help others save the universe for them.
In the comics, the Morphin Masters are shown to be more morally grey, as they decided to protect the Splintered Star from the forces of evil by severing its connection to the Morphin Grid. This would result in condemning an entire universe to death in order to spare all of reality from the potential threat of malevolent forces attaining the planet's Zeo Crystal energy, energy so massive it could obliterate all of reality. However, how much of this backstory is true is ambiguous considering the source of this information was Praetor and told through his perspective.
It later turn out be completely false as it is later revealed that the Solarix Morphers have the power to drain the Morphing energy. Which means there WERE plans to reunite the two universes together once more until Praetor went insane and condemned the universe to death, hindering plans in question.
Powers and Abilities
- Portal Opening: The Morphin Masters were able to open up a massive swirling blue portal at will to transport themselves around.
- Longevity: The Morphin Masters survived at least 65 million years between the events of Dino Fury's prelude and the events of "Big Sisters" but as in expanded continuity, they are not immortal.
- Levitation: The Morphin Masters are able to float in mid-air unassisted.
- Artifact Creation: By tapping into the Morphin Grid, the Morphin Masters can create special artifacts that allow one to morph into a Power Ranger. These include the Dino Gems, the Energems, and the Ninja Nexus Prism.
- Suspended Animation: The Green Morphin Master has been shown to inherit this ability as she was the one that put Aiyon in a stasis for 65 million years.
- Staffs: All six Morphin Masters carry large white staffs at all times.
- Power Bestowment: The Morphin Masters were able to hold their staffs into the air and charge them up with white energy before blasting people with them. These energies transform animals into Zords and give the humans Morphers to access the Morphin Grid and become Power Rangers.
- Lightning Generation: As demonstrated by the Green Morphin Master in the flashback of "Ancient History (Dino Fury)", they can release lightning of their respective colors from their staffs.
- Power Restoration: In the episode "Void Trap", the Green Morphin Master was able to restore the Rangers' powers with her staff.
Behind The Scenes
The Morphin Masters, as they appear in Dino Fury, are voiced by the following actors:
- The Red Morphin Master is voiced by Daryl Habraken, who was the narrator in the New Saban Era.
- The Green Morphin Master is voiced by Beth Allen, who previously portrays Ally Samuels in Power Rangers S.P.D. and Vella in Power Rangers Operation Overdrive.
- Their first appearance in MMPR used footage of the tribal chiefs from Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger, albeit their faces obscured and seen only from a distance. Oddly enough, they are the first example of seemingly extremely minor characters in the franchise later being retroactively expanded into massively important plot devices.
- The Morphin Masters' colors correspond not only with the Dino Fury Rangers, but also with the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (with Gold being closest to Yellow) coincidentally.
- Though not confirmed, it is possible that they may have been involved in the creation of the Zeo Crystal and the Quasar Sabers.
- Simon Bennett has shared images of the Red and Pink Morphin Master suits in production. He confirmed that Tracey Collins was in charge of the their designs, while the suits were manufactured and imported from Japan.