|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|"Now you have sealed your fate!"|
|―Mondo the Magician when the Thunder Megazord energized the Thunder Saber and his final words before being resealed.[src]|
Mondo the Magician is a fictional character in a children's book titled Grumble the Magic Elf who at some point came to know Rita Repulsa as a powerful sorcerer trapped in a children's book, cursing it as a result. Mondo puts a spell on Grumble the Elf, turning him into a grouch to sabotage his desire to give presents to children. When Kimberly, Rocky, and Tommy are trapped in the book, they meet the enchanted Grumble before leaving to follow him against. On the way, Mondo is revealed hiding behind a tree before teleporting back to his own castle to await them. After the three Power Rangers are eventually able to escape, Rita is able to free Mondo from the book, allowing him to attack Angel Grove as a giant. He is knocked down by the White Tigerzord and struck by the Thunder Megazord's Thunder Saber. As the Megazord sheathes its Thunder Saber, Mondo the Magician slips down to his knees and explodes. Although he survives, Mondo the Magician is sealed back inside the storybook where he remains to this day.
Power and Abilities
- Durability: It took three energy slashes from the Thunder Saber to re-seal Mondo the Magician.
- Grump Enchantment-Mondo the Magician was able to turn Grumble the Elf into a grouch using his magic.
- Self Growth-Mondo the Magician was apparently able to grow off-screen without aid from Zedd's Growth Bombs.
- Energy Beams: Mondo's the Magician's strongest attack where he summons pink energy beams from the environment to strike his enemies with enough force to wipe out the Thunder Megazord with in a few hits.
- Glowing-Mondo the Magician is able to glow as seen when we first saw him hidden behind a tree.
- No weaknesses
- Sword: Mondo the Magician wields a massive silver sword that he could use against his enemies.
- Dimensional Hole Opening-Mondo the Magician was able to cut a hole in the storybook world to escape through with his sword after Rita weakened the barrier.
Behind the Scenes
- Mondo the Magician was physically played by Rintaro Nishi via footage from Dairanger and voiced by recurring Power Rangers voice actor Mike Reynolds.
- Some noted how the similarity in Mondo's voice to General Ivar from VR Troopers. They shared the same voice actor who used the same voice for both monsters so Mondo has been nicknamed "General Ivar the Magician" as a result.
- Despite his name, Mondo the Magician's design was more imperial and soldier-like in design than it was mystical.
- No special naming conventions.
- Mondo the Magician was derived from Dairanger's true main antagonist Lieutenant Colonel Shadam. Shadam had a strange habit of materializing a metal mask over his face for no adequately explained reason so Saban, desperate by this point in Season 2 for any usable footage to adapt, decided to use the extremely limited amount of footage of his giant form and try to create an episode out of it.
- Because of this, with the exception of his Zord fight, all footage of Mondo was literally still frames from Dairanger where the editors paused the footage and digitally cut and pasted him into US made footage. This was done because very few shots had Shadam in a masked form so a lot of shots had him standing motionlessly and was is why he almost never moved whilst human sized.
- The reason that Mondo, the Thunder Megazord, and the White Tigerzord never appeared in the same frame is because Shadam only fought the Mythical Qi Warrior RyuseiOh which was the counterpart to the Red Dragon Thunderzord.
- Lieutenant Colonel Shadam - Super Sentai counterpart in Gosei Sentai Dairanger. See comparison page. (Mondo being derived from his masked form)