|This article is about a/an character in Power Rangers Lost Galaxy.|
The Magna Defender was among the many participants that fought in the battle that occurred over 3,000 years ago. It is believed that he was once a guardian of sorts to the Lights of Orion. Around that time, the Magna Defender's home-world was attacked and overrun by Scorpius and his monsters. His son, Zika, was used as a shield to prevent him from attacking Scorpius' army and killed shortly thereafter when he tried to attack Scorpius and save his father. The Magna Defender swore revenge for both his son and their planet.
At some point, the Magna Defender arrived on Mirinoi to release the Lights of Orion. There, on the jungle planet, he fought and lost to his arch-rival, Treacheron. Gravely wounded, Treacheron's final attack sent him tumbling into a pit on the planet. His plans of vengeance thwarted, the Defender remained in the pit for thousands of years.
In 1999, thanks to Furio, Mike Corbett falls into the same pit and is put into a coma. Seeing his chance, the Magna Defender possesses his body, escaping the pit and setting out after Scorpius and the legendary Lights of Orion. Using his Torozord, he fights several battles against his enemy. Obsessed with revenge, he has no qualms about going through the Rangers or even civilians in the pursuit of his vengeance, and so was a frequent foe of the Rangers despite their common enemies.
In his final battles, the Magna Defender collapsed in pain several times while clutching his chest. During one instance, when he tried to destroy Trakeena as payback for Scorpius killing Zika, the voice of Mike told the Magna Defender not to give into vengeance.
In one final attempt to destroy Scorpius, the Magna Defender activated an energy pit in Terra Venture's mountain dome while the Scorpion Stinger siphoned gas from the colony. His plan was to cause a meltdown in the dome to destroy Scorpius, but doing so would risk destroying the colony as well. After pushing aside the Galaxy Megazord when the Rangers tried to stop him, the Magna Defender continued to send energy to the pit. However, the process would stop when the Torozord, refusing to kill innocent people in an effort to destroy Scorpius, forcibly disengaged the Defender Torozord formation and left the Magna Defender in disgust. As the Magna Defender berated his Zord for abandoning him and their quest for revenge, he is mortally wounded by the Freaky Tiki. After being rescued by Leo, the Magna Defender tells the Red Ranger that he was possessing Mike the entire time, but the latter's goodness was tearing him apart. He believed that the only way to save Mike was to be destroyed and tried to goad Leo into finishing him off. However, Leo refused to destroy someone he believed had good still left inside him. When he saw the Rangers try to stop the energy pit he made, the Magna Defender lamented how his desire for revenge went against everything he believed in 3000 years ago and felt he let Zika down. His son Zika appears to him and tells him that he believes in him and knows that he could make the right choice. Seeking to undo the damage he has caused to Terra Venture in his attempt to finish off Scorpius and after being prompted to return to good and renounce his hateful ways by an apparition of Zika, Magna throws himself into the energy pit he has created, sacrificing his life to neutralize its energy and save Terra Venture which also releases Mike.
The spirits of Magna Defender and Zika later appeared to Mike when the Rangers were in peril, giving him the Magna Blaster in Sword Mode, the source of the Magna Defender powers. Much like with the Quasar Sabers, a two-part Morpher also appeared on Mike's arms, allowing him to become the new Magna Defender. Using the Magna Blaster and Torozord, Mike did battle with many foes of the Rangers.
Later, Mike sacrificed Torozord and his powers to free Terra Venture from the Lost Galaxy. Prior to Mike's sacrifice of the powers, Magna Defender's spirit appeared to him and motivated him to perform the action. Magna Defender's spirit appeared to Mike again afterwards, this time to congratulate him for his heroism and that he had fulfilled the Magna Defender's destiny.
Video game appearances
Power Rangers Legacy Wars
The Magna Defender is among the Rangers who feature in Power Rangers Legacy Wars.
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Prior to the death of Zika and the destruction of his home planet, the Magna Defender was once a honorable warrior who fought for justice and peace. After Zika's death and his planet's destruction, he became motivated by his vengeance and disregarded his noble ideals, vowing to stop at nothing to avenge his son and his home.
- † Zika - Son
- Extraordinary Jumper: The Magna Defender could jump high at an incredible distance.
- Possession: The Magna Defender was able to take over Mike in order to escape his imprisonment.
- Longevity: The Magna Defender was able to survive being trapped in a pit for 3,000 years.
- Energy Sword Attack: A diagonal energized slash with the Magna Sword.
- Force Cage: Magna Defender threw his sword into the ground which generated a cube shaped barrier around the target. He used this in episode 15 to both protect the Lost Galaxy Rangers from the effects of the explosive crater as well as to keep them from stopping him from completing his own destiny. As he reached the fiery pit of his own creation, he transformed into energy, and floated down into the pit, thereby stabilizing it.
- Energy Chop: Magna Defender leapt into the air and performed an aerial somersault as he delivers an energized slash against an opponent with the Magna Sword.
Behind the Scenes
- The Magna Defender was voiced by Kerrigan Mahan. His suit actor was Naoki Ōfuji (大藤 直樹 Ōfuji Naoki) in Super Sentai footage from Gingaman & his suit actor in US footage was Hiroshi Maeda (前田 浩 Maeda Hiroshi).
- In the Japanese dub of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, the Magna Defender was voiced by Seiji Sasaki, who also voiced Stargull in Ep. 22 of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and Messiah in Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters.
to be added
Zack Taylor • Adam Park • Corcus • Carlos Vallerte • Danny Delgado • Tommy Oliver • Will Aston • Dillon • Jake Holling • Chase Randall • Javi Garcia
Adam Park/Movie • Zack Taylor/2017 movie • Vesper Vasquez • Jamie Gilmore • Xev
|View • Edit|