|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|"Let the power of the sun, the wind, and sea, gather together and come to me."|
|―Madame Woe's first words when chanting an unknown spell upon some cliffs before being summoned by Rita.[src]|
Madame Woe is an elemental ghost monster and evil sorceress. She is an old friend of Rita who gets her name from bringing woe or trouble to everyone she touched. She serves as the main antagonist of the episode "Peace, Love and Woe".
It is unclear how Madame Woe came into existence. Rita contacted her and asked to came to her palace, while an earlier scene implied that Finster was to create her. It is possible that Finster created her before Rita and her minions were trapped in the Space Dumpster and Woe had remained on Earth, or Finster sent her to Earth, before Rita could give her mission. She refers her as old friend, which could indicate that Finster recruited her to the service.
Rita decided to destroy Billy, so she summoned Madame Woe and ordered her to send the other Rangers, except Billy to her dimension, and destroy him. Madame Woe's jewel allowed her to control rain, heat, wind and cold and send people to other dimensions. Woe confused Billy's girlfriend Marge for a ranger and sent her to another dimension. When the Rangers arrived she fought them and showed her abilities to teleport, use her braids, and fly. Then she sent the other Rangers, except Billy, to the same dimension Marge is, and Rita's plan nearly succeeded. But Billy managed to defeat her and break her jewel by snatching it from her forehead and crushing it into dust in his hand, which freed his friends. The Rangers overpowered the now powerless Woe with their hands and fists and Billy landed the final blow with a double punch to her chest before forming their Power Blaster and finishing off the evil sorceress for good.
Madame Woe was a cold, sinister, devious and sadistic witch, enjoying causing others to suffer. She kidnapped Billy's girlfriend, Marge, and teleported her to another dimension. She is also highly arrogant, confident and it was her weakness as she was finally defeated by the Rangers. She is also extremely loyal to Rita and was shown to be good friends to her.
Powers and Abilities
- Flight: Madame Woe can propel herself into the air and fly at her enemies for aerial attacks.
- Teleportation: Madame Woe can teleport to any location at will which includes zipping around the battlefield to mock Billy.
- Rope Braid Entanglement: Madame Woe can fire her blue braids forth as ropes to entangle her enemies.
- Electrocution: Madame Woe can charge up her braids with blue electricity to electrocute the victim trapped within them.
- Wind Breath: Madame Woe can spew out strong gusts of wind from her mouth.
- Claw Nails: Madame Woe has massive blood red fingernails that act as claws to hack and slash her enemies.
- Forehead Jewel: Madame Woe has a bright blue jewel on the center of her forehead that grants her different powers and abilities, such as:
- Weather Control: Madame Woe can change the weather at will using her forehead jewel, allowing her to control the elements of rain, heat, wind, and cold.
- Dimensional Teleportation: Madame Woe can create a trippy vortex with her forehead jewel to send herself and her enemies into some bizarre side dimension.
Behind The Scenes
- Madame Woe was voiced by Alex Borstein.
- Many have therefore pointed out that Woe's voice sounds almost exactly like Lois Griffin from Family Guy, but with an echo filter in it.
In other media
- Madame Woe is a playable fighter in the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for Sega Genesis.
- Madame Woe is a type of enemy fought by the players in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Mega Battle.
- Madame Woe is one of the monsters included in the base game of the board game Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid.
- Madame Woe holds the distinction of being the first female 'Monster-of-the-day' to appear in the series.
- Madame Woe is the first monster able to immediately teleport around the battlefield at will. The second will be the Jellyfish Warrior.
- Madame Woe is the first monster we get an abrupt introduction to where we get no proper introduction and the episode just randomly cuts to spouting her first words by the sea.
- In Zyuranger, Madame Woe was destroyed by the Thunder Slingers which was replaced by the Power Blaster here because these weapons had not been introduced in Power Rangers yet until Gung Ho!.
- In Island of Illusion Part 2, Quagmire referred to Madame Woe as a "nightmare queen" who fought Billy in a "land of dreams".
- Madame Woe is one of the few monsters in the first season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers not explicitly confirmed as being created by Finster. Others include Pineoctopus, Hatchasaurus & Cardiatron, Twin Man, Pumpkin Rapper, Octoplant and Oysterizer.