|This article is about a/an villain in Power Rangers Ninja Storm.|
|"It's had time to grow. Armies take time to make and now it's time for revenge. Zurgane...proceed."|
|―Lothor's first words once Sensei Watanabe told him how strong he was and "it's been a while", before ordering Zurgane to destroy the Wind Ninja Academy.[src]|
|"From now on, I will take the name of the ancient warrior of evil! From this point forth I will be known as - Lothor!"|
|―Kiya becoming Lothor after losing any chance of Miko loving him.[src]|
|"Power Rangers?! Nobody told me there were Power Rangers!"|
|―Lothor noticing the Wind Rangers fighting Blue Face and his Kelzaks.[src]|
|"Well, well, well, love what you've done to the place. It's homey...in a high school science lab kinda way."|
|―Lothor when arriving on Mesogog's Island Fortress.[src]|
Kiya Watanabe, also known as Lothor, was an exiled evil ninja master who led his own army and the primary antagonist of Power Rangers Ninja Storm. His goal was to conquer the Earth and destroy all the protecting ninja academies with their ninja masters, allowing him to become the ultimate dark ninja master.
Not much was known about Lothor until the second part of the three-part episode "The Samurai's Journey", when the son of Sensei Kanoi Watanabe, Cameron Watanabe, traveled back in time to obtain a magical amulet, he learned that Lothor was actually born on Earth as Kiya Watanabe, the identical twin brother of Kanoi Watanabe and Cam's previously unknown uncle. This plot twist explained why Lothor and Sensei Watanabe had both been played by the same actor.
Kiya was once a student at the Wind Ninja Academy in the Earth Ninja category. When a young woman named Miko was inducted to the Academy with a mystical samurai pendant that was given to her by her father, he attempted to steal it, but was stopped by the young Sensei Watanabe and later Cam, who came to take the pendant back to the future. For his crimes, he was expelled from the ninja academy, stripped of his ninja rank, and banished from the Earth by his sensei. In his rage, he forswore his family and ninja heritage and declared himself to be Lothor and promised to come back one day to get revenge against his brother Kanoi. In space, he continued his mad search for power even after being exiled.
He later recruited his two nieces Marah and Kapri as apprentices at the urging of their parents. He found them to be very annoying, but kept them around because they were family - an odd sentiment for one that had so recently abandoned his family on Earth, possibly an attempt to fill the gap left in his life alone.
Before his attack on Earth, Lothor had returned to Earth previously in secret, a violation of his former sensei's orders. His purpose on this visit is unknown, but while there, he killed the Bradleys, the adoptive parents of Hunter Bradley and Blake Bradley. These two were taken in by Sensei Omino and trained at the Thunder Ninja Academy, which, unfortunately, was the first place attacked by Lothor's army. He captured the Thunder Ninja students and Sensei Omino, and even managed to convince Hunter and Blake that the Wind Ninja's current sensei, Kanoi, was responsible for their adoptive parents' deaths.
The Wind Ninja Academy, now under the leadership of Sensei Kanoi Watanabe, Lothor's brother, was the next target. Once again, Lothor kidnapped the students of the academy and with his magic, he turned Sensei Watanabe into a guinea pig.
Lothor's victory was short-lived, and he soon realized that three students had escaped the purge of the Wind Ninja Academy (Shane, Dustin, and Tori). Being the only three remaining, they were presented with Morphers, allowing them to become Ninja Power Rangers. These new Power Rangers foiled Lothor's plans on numerous occasions, and he has sent monstrous warriors after them, but they all fail. Nevertheless, he has always stuck by the evil code for destroying a Power Ranger, that "they must be in their true Ranger form."
When Cam returns from the past, Lothor (who learns of Cam being Kanoi's son) tries to invite him to join his army.
At one point, he had a mouse monster named Mr. Ratwell put several teenage girls under a love spell. His plan was to create a television show that brainwashes people into adoring him as their ruler. However, his plan is thwarted by the Rangers.
Eventually, treason and betrayal among Lothor's generals led to them all dying off - at each other's hands or at the hands of the Power Rangers. It was soon revealed that these deaths had all been part of Lothor's greatest plan: when each died, their spirits would be sent to the "Abyss of Evil." With the help of the stolen Samurai Amulet he finally gained since the past, Lothor was able to make the Abyss overflow and the dead generals and armies were all released once again, free to destroy the world. Shane was quickly able to destroy the resurrected generals with his Battlizer while the other Rangers tossed the other monsters back into the Abyss. Lothor then managed to use Cam's Samurai Amulet to drain the Rangers of their Ranger powers. Fortunately, Shane, Dustin and Tori were able to use their inner ninja powers to seal him and his deceased army in the Abyss of Evil, saving the planet.
|"The citizens of Reefside will think that idiot Lothor has returned to town."|
|―Mesogog lamenting that he would be mistaken for the significantly less threatening Lothor.[src]|
Not long after Lothor's defeat, Mesogog emerged to menace the city of Reefside. Mesogog, who was aware of Lothor and held him in low regard, believed that the citizens would believe initially that the fallen villain had returned as he commenced his own campaign of world domination with an aerial assault on the city.
After escaping from the Abyss of Evil, around a full year after Ninja Storm ended, Lothor allied himself with Mesogog. Capturing his brother and impersonating him, he brainwashed the three Wind Rangers into serving as his minions, in addition to releasing Zurgane and other monsters from the Abyss as well. However, the alliance between villains was defeated when Marah and Kapri, having forsaken the side of evil, freed Sensei Watanabe, who helped Cam and the Thunder Rangers recover their powers from the Abyss. The three Rangers then freed their brainwashed friends, and they teamed up with the Dino Rangers to battle the villains. When his plans failed, Mesogog turned on Lothor, using his psionic brain-blast to shrink him down to the size of an action figure, and trapped him in a jar as a trophy for his victory.
The fate of the jar imprisoning him is never made clear but it is very likely that it, with Lothor still inside, was destroyed in the destruction of Mesogog's Island Fortress.
In an alternate universe, Tori Hanson met an alternate Lothor who is the Mayor of Blue Bay Harbor. His astrological sign is Libra. At first, Mayor Lothor didn't want to help Tori fight the Evil Ninja Rangers. When Tori was getting beaten by them, Mayor Lothor arrived with his group as well as some Kelzaks where they managed to defeat the Evil Ninja Rangers.
As Kiya Watanabe, he was a self-pitying, pessimistic, and insecure ninja student that thinks highly of himself. To compensate for his massive insecurities, he developed an overbearing ego, and became more and more narcissistic, megalomaniacal, and arrogant, thinking that he has a "personality" unlike his brother, and that Kanoi only got the good looks and briefly teased him about being defeated by a girl and also said that he could be beaten and liked to break rules as he was welcoming to the idea of having female students in the academy unlike his brother. Even at a young age, he craved power and secretly began practicing dark ninja magic, though he can be gregarious and friendly, as shown when he told Cam that they are twins and even briefly socialized with him.
As Lothor, he was a sadistic, ruthless, sly, cruel, cunning, manipulative, narcissistic, and egomaniacal Dark Ninja Master that does what ever he could to take over the world, before the series, it is revealed in the second part of the three-part episode "Thunder Strangers" that Lothor even killed the Thunder Rangers' adoptive parents, he was once again arrogant, megalomaniacal, and egotistical, but he is now manipulative, being able to trick the Thunder Rangers that Sensei Watanabe was the cause of what happen to their parents; despite being a villain however, Lothor was infamously comical, bumbling, and more often than not, somewhat incompetent when it came to levels of evil and therefore had a campy sense of humor which was often reflected from his frustrations with his monsters/nieces when they failed to best the Power Rangers or in some predictable occasions, such as after making Slob Goblin grow, he stared at the camera and asked the audience if they really expected him to make it smaller.). Such fourth wall breaking manifested itself in several other of Lothor's asides such as in the final part of the finale, while piloting the Lothorzord, he commented that the battle was the most fun he'd had all season).
Powers and Abilities
- Hypnosis: Kiya was able to hypnotize others to do what he wants by turning his eyes black as he did to Miko to get her to show him her Samurai Amulet though his spell was broken when they were distracted by Cam's arrival.
- Energy Force: Kiya could unleash powerful energy forces from his hands that could push his enemies afar.
- Force Field: Kiya could create a force field around himself, his allies, and/or enemies.
- Tractor Beam: Kiya couid fire a clear blue colored tractor beam that he can grab his enemies with.
- Expert Fighter: Being a Ninja Student, Kiya was a skilled fighter in martial arts as he was able to nearly best Cam in battle.
- Air Walking: Despite wearing the yellow uniform of an earth ninja, Kiya was more than once able to use an air-walking move similar to Shane's and attack from the sky, he presumably learned this from his brother Kanoi who was an air ninja.
to be added
- Katana: During his fight with Cam, Kiya utilized a katana.
Powers and Abilities
- Power-Being the leader of the Evil Space Ninjas, Lothor was the strongest and most powerful villain in Power Rangers Ninja Storm. In the final part of the two-part series finale episode "Storm Before the Calm", he was powerful enough to nearly defeat all six of the Rangers with ease.
- Kelzak Summoning: Lothor could summon an army of foot soldiers called Kelzaks to aid him in battle.
- Teleportation: Lothor was able to teleport to any location at will.
- Levitation: In the third and final part of the three-part episode "The Samurai's Journey" Lothor had the ability to levitate in the air.
- Teleport Swipe: By swiping his hands at a target, Lothor could send anyone to any place at will as shown in the final part of the three-part episode "The Samurai's Journey".
- Self Awareness-Like most of his entourage, Lothor made fun of Power Ranger tropes such as growing monsters and berating Marah and Kapri before they grew Footzilla. The most blatant example of his self-awareness happened in the episode "Tongue and Cheek" when he turned directly to the viewer and said, "What did you expect? He wasn't going to get smaller."
- Energy Lasers: Lothor's signature attack which was an upgraded form of the energy force ability he had when he was younger. He could fire powerful red or purple energy lasers from his hands which proved to be very effective against the Rangers. These lasers could also be fired either in rapid succession or a beam formation. In the final part of the two-part series finale episode "Storm Before the Calm", his lasers are powerful enough to destroy Shane's Battlizer armor in just one strike. Unfortunately for Lothor, during his final battle against Mesogog, he used his lasers against the evil dinosaur twice in battle (with the second time striking his opponent with a direct hit to the chest), only for him to be unfazed by the attack.
- Animal Transmutation: Lothor's energy laser is able to turn people into animals as shown in the pilot episode "Prelude to a Storm", when one of them turned his brother into an anthropomorphic guinea pig.
- Speaking Bestowal: Lothor was able to give Shimazu the ability to speak by firing his energy laser at him.
- Energy Blast: Lothor could also fire a white energy blast that was strong enough to knock aside Kanoi.
- Restoration: Lothor's energy blast was strong enough to restore Kanoi to his human form.
- Shapeshifting: In the first part of the two-part episode "Thunder Storm", Lothor was able to assume Kanoi Watanabe's form.
- Clothes Alteration: In the first part of the two-part episode "Thunder Storm", Lothor was change Marah and Kapri's ninja student uniforms back to their regular clothes.
- Superhuman Strength: Lothor possessed superhuman strength. One example of this was during an altercation with his nephew Cam as the Green Samurai Ranger in Super Samurai mode. Lothor easily repelled his nephew's offensive strike with just one gesture of his hand. However, he was at a complete disadvantage against Mesogog who easily threw him across the room.
- Superhuman Durability: Lothor also possessed superhuman durability, as seen when he survived the destruction of his Lothorzord and the Rangers' Storm Megazord.
- Expert Fighter: Despite his exile from the Wind Ninja Academy, Lothor grew to be proficient with martial arts and is now a more expert fighter. He was more than a match for the Wind Rangers, Thunder Rangers, Cam, and Sensei and was able to easily stand against all of them in combat.
to be added
- Personal Alien Manager: Lothor carried a cell phone-like object called the P. A.M, which he could use to summon monsters or to make that monster grow with the Scroll of Empowerment.
- Size Changing: Lothor's P.A.M. could also fire red laser beams that could change the size of anything as seen when it restored a shrunken Choobo to normal size.
- Kelzak and Kelzak Furies Summoning: The P.A.M. could also be used to summon Kelzaks, Kelzak Furies or both at the same time.
- Decloaker: Lothor used a device that could reveal anything hidden or concealed.
- Lothorzord: Only used in the series finale, Lothor could pilot his very own Zord.
- The Green Ranger's Samurai Amulet: In the final part of the two-part series finale episode "Storm Before the Calm", Lothor successfully managed to capture the Green Ranger and take his amulet, allowing him to steal the Ninja Storm Rangers' powers.
- Evil Wind Morpher: In the first part of the two-part episode "Thunder Storm", Lothor gave these evil Morphers to Shane, Dustin, and Tori while disguised as the Sensei to brainwash them.
- Capture Bottle: In the first part of the two-part episode "Thunder Storm", Lothor used a large pink bottle to capture all the students at the Wind Ninja Academy.
Behind the Scenes
- Lothor was portrayed by the late Grant McFarland who also played his brother. As a teenager, he was portrayed by Daniel Sing.
to be added
to be added
- Lothor suffered from acid reflux, a sign of stress. In one episode, he is seen blending a drink to try to counter his case of acid reflux.
- Despite his evil ways, Lothor was actually well versed in pop culture. Though it could be rubbed off from his nieces.
- According to the episode "The Wild Wipeout", Lothor was a Libra.
- When he went to the academy, he was an Earth ninja.
- In the video game for the Game Boy Advance, Lothor's name is misspelled as Lother.
- Lothor was the second to choose to become evil after Master Org. This would be followed by Mesogog, Venjix Virus (And then later again as Evox.) and Lord Drakkon.
- Lothor was the only villain to be defeated in Dino Thunder but not destroyed by a Ranger or other villain but by an ally of Power Rangers (Hayley Ziktor). That is obviously assuming he didn't survive Mesogog's Island Fortress being destroyed and was destroyed with it.
- Lothor was the last villain to be defeated in a season in which he did not originate for six years. This would next happen with the Venjix Virus which originally appeared in Power Rangers RPM and later as Evox in Power Rangers Beast Morphers (Evox and Venjix ironically being the same person).
- Boss Tau Zant - Super Sentai counterpart in Hurricaneger. See comparison page. (role as the main antagonist)
- Evil Will - Super Sentai counterpart in Hurricaneger. See comparison page. (final threat)