|This article is about a/an villain in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Power Rangers Zeo.|
- "NO! THIS CAN’T BE!!! I will not tolerate being outsmarted BY THOSE POWER RANGERS!!! I’ll strip the Zords’ power and return them to the depths of the Earth from whence they came!"
- ―Lord Zedd after the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord and Dragonzord were freed from his control. After he said this, he sent most of the Dinozords to their doom in a canyon of lava.[src]
- "Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ah ha ha ah ha ha ha ha! Welcome Rangers. Perhaps you’re wondering where you are. Well, you’re now in my dimension known as The Otherworld. Ha ha ha! I’m afraid you’ll find that your Morphers are useless here and Zordon cannot help you either. With this Crystal, I have sealed off his precious Command Center forever! Ha ha ha ha ha! And now dear friends, it’s time to meet your replacements."
- ―Lord Zedd when meeting the Power Rangers for the first time and introducing his Dark Rangers to them.[src]
- "NOOOOOOOOOOOO! NO! Not my DARK RANGERS! THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING TO ME! NOT AGAIN! NO! I CAN’T BE DEFEATED! IT’S IMPOSSIBLE! NOOOO!"
- ―Lord Zedd after the Green Crystal was smashed by Tommy and his Dark Rangers teleported away.[src]
- "Silence! I'll get to that. I'm not through talking about Me yet"
- ―Zedd's Ego.[src]
- "What's for Lunch, you Ninnies?"
- ―Zedd's humorous side[src]
- "ZEDD! ZEDD, you sniveling Weasel! "Z", "E", "D", "D"! MY NAME IS LORD ZEDD!"
- ―Zedd admonishing Rito for getting his name wrong after Vampirus' destruction.[src]
- 1 History
- 2 Split History
- 3 Video game appearances
- 4 Titles Zedd refers to himself
- 5 Family Tree
- 6 Personality
- 7 Powers and Abilities
- 8 Arsenal
- 9 Weaknesses
- 10 Portrayal
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Family
- 13 Behind the scenes
- 14 In other media
- 15 Notes
- 16 See Also
- 17 References
Lord Zedd is the lord of all evil who was once more human-looking before he tried to get the Zeo Crystal, which deformed his skin into more fleshy and zombie like.
Zedd was conquering the various planets across the universe before moving on Zordon and Eltar. Ten thousand years ago, Zedd (clothed in a cloak to disguise his deformed body) summoned the monkey monster Silverback and his brother Goldar to join Rita Repulsa and her ragtag member of space aliens to attack Earth. Silverback, already dissatisfied with Zedd because he was using his race (who he considered Zedd's elite warriors) being used for what is basically grunt work, decided to usurp Zedd and take power for himself. However, Zedd ripped off his cloak and mortally wounded Silverback with a massive energy blast and forced Goldar to kill his brother or meet the same fate. Once Goldar swore loyalty to him alone, Zedd sent him to Earth to join Rita. Template:ComicSstorylink
Due to some unspecified failure, Lord Zedd stripped Goldar of his monkey wings. Because he did not think Earth was important enough to warrant his attention, being to him just being a stepping stone/base to conquer the solar system, he left Rita Repulsa to conquer it while he pursued the conquest of other systems, leaving a ragtag group of minions behind to help her.
It was later mentioned by Rita that Zedd also tried to take the Zeo Crystal for himself in the ancient past. But because the Crystal was protected by a forcefield which damages the forces of evil, the attempt caused his skin to burn off, which gave him the flayed and grotesque appearance that he is widely known for. Due to the mocking tone Rita told this, it is not known if she was joking or if this fact is real.
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
A year after Rita was released from Zordon's dumpster Lord Zedd arrived on the Moon, conjuring a thunder storm over the Moon Palace which made Goldar realize who he was and horrifying Rita. As the race began, Zedd appeared above the Palace in the clouds before berating Rita for being utterly useless before shooting lightning at them. After declaring that he'd take command, Zedd went into his throne room where Rita and her thugs went to greet him. Goldar arrived first and met him in the throne room, terrified by Zedd's snake before he turned it into his staff. Despite not initially recognizing Goldar, Zedd remembered him as the cowardly minion, and returned the wings that he took away thousands of years ago when he realized his cowardly nature would make him a good follower. Zedd then spied on the Power Rangers only for Rita to enter and beg for forgiveness and another chance but Zedd gave her a dressing down because she was "not fit to destroy a cockroach."
After watching the Power Rangers get called to the Command Center, he realized that Zordon was still alive and Goldar suggested sending Putties to destroy the Rangers. Zedd got a good laugh out of that and showed off his own Putty Patrollers. Despite her pleading with him, even kissing his feet, Lord Zedd punished Rita by stripping her of her powers and vaporizing her wand. He then shrunk her and imprisoned her within a space dumpster identical to the one Zordon had trapped her in before having his Putties hurl her into the depths of space. He then mutated a piranha from the lake into the monstrous Pirantishead, who assumed command of the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord and Dragonzord. The Rangers barely survived the attack, but managed to regain control of their Zords. Furious, Lord Zedd attempted to destroy the five Dinozords, only for the Rangers to turn the tables and transform the remains of them into the more powerful Thunderzords. The Thunder Megazord destroyed Pirantishead which led Zedd to decide to stay on Earth and try to destroy the Rangers, leading to his succeeding schemes.
After the Rangers' acquisition of the Thunderzords, Lord Zedd attacked again and again, each assault deadlier than the last. His monsters were created from objects on Earth with the power of his staff, and he made them grow using grenades - Zedd would throw the grenade down to the monster who would then catch it, pull out the pin and throw it to the ground to make itself grow. He once desired Kimberly to be his queen based on her good looks and tenacity, and sent Goldar to capture, brainwash and train her into being so, but his plan failed when it was discovered that the magic dust that was used to entrance her didn't work and that she was really doing a Rita impression to fool Goldar and buy the Rangers enough time to rescue her. Zedd has hated Kimberly ever since.
After seven or so schemes of just draining Tommy's powers, Lord Zedd decided to finally start his endgame and steal Tommy's powers once and for all. He later saw five punk teens (Justin, Zane, Bobby, Tina and Kristen]) harassing a kid named Stewart as well as Tommy, Billy, and Zack; Zedd decided to make them his Dark Rangers to attack and destroy the Rangers. To do this, he decided to use the Green Crystal to take Tommy's powers to some personal use and use it to corrupt and empower the teens. When the punks confronted the Rangers (minus Tommy who was getting the negative results of his bioscan at the Command Center), Zedd zapped them with his lightning and teleported them to the so-called Otherworld where he would be operating from for the remainder of the two-parter. Zedd and Goldar met them there and hypnotized the five before Zedd proclaimed thier goal to take over the world with thier aid. Goldar pointed out that Tommy still had his powers so this was doomed to fail but Zedd pointed out that the Crystal was still stealing his powers and he would soon create a monster to waste even more of it which pleased Goldar. With his minion sated, and inspired by Kimberly earlier finding a oddly large seashell at the beach, Zedd used his magic to create the TurbanShell monster from it.
Sometime later, Zedd was reminding Goldar of his plans for the Green Crystal when, to his amazement, TurbanShell showed up as he needed to "recharge his shell." Zedd berated him for letting the Rangers get away when he had them at his mercy and sent him away to fight. Presently, Zedd kidnapped Tommy and teleported him into a wheat field that was also in the Otherworld. Turbanshell confronted him there and, with Tommy's weakening powers, he was easily able to absorb his remaining powers into his shell. Zedd held up the Green Crystal which absorbed his remaining powers and began his next steps. With the Green Crystal fully charged, Zedd used it to surround the Command Center in a crushing forcefield and captured the remaining Power Rangers. He then introduced them to his newly powered Dark Rangers and revealed that he wished to use them to conquer the Earth. However, Zedd managed to shoot himself on the foot when he decided to send the Rangers back to Earth to make them watch TurbanShell destroy the city. His undoing came when Tommy escaped Goldar and returned to Angel Grove before returning to the Otherworld and smashed the Crystal. To Zedd's horror, this de-powered and teleported away the Dark Rangers at which point Tommy left to Zedd's despair. However, this was ultimately a success for Zedd since Tommy ultimately lost his powers once and for all as a result of this scheme.
It's the finals for the Ninja Martial Arts Competition and Lord Zedd takes a liking to three cruel dark colored ninjas from Casper City and fancies them as his new evil team of ninjas. By the time that Jacob Anderson has been rescued from a potentially fatal stroller crash, everything is ready and Zedd assigns Goldar the mission of kidnapping the teens although not before they won the competition which was likely a decision made to ensure that they were as competent as they claimed and aren't just tooting thier own horns. However, later that afternoon, they still haven't been kidnapped and Zedd demands to know why. Goldar's responds that they have been defeated in the competition by new Stone Canyon arrivals Rocky DeSantos, Adam Park and Aisha Campbell, Annoyed, Zedd decides to make them his new Dark Rangers instead since they are far more competent and he only needs the best to defeat the Power Rangers. However, as Zedd points out, the Black Ninjas were chosen because they were cruel and vindictive whereas this new trio are just as pure as the Power Rangers, so how would this work? Goldar then offers to search the planet for better candidates, but Zedd refuses because they are the best fighters he can find and he needs good fighters to defeat the Power Rangers; therefore, he orders Goldar to capture them anyway. Zedd then sends down Goldar with some Putties as backup, and was very happy when Goldar successfully kidnaps the trio and their teacher Mr Anderson.
Goldar reports back to Zedd and tells him that he needs more time to break them which Zedd rebuts since it is only a matter of time until the Rangers find them. Goldar reminds him how strong they are so Zedd decides to distract the Power Rangers with a toxic monster before using his telescopic vision to spy out some blossom trees. Using his magic, Zedd throws up quite a lot of wind which tosses some flowers off of the trees he creates his Terror Blossom monster from the fallen petals. The Terror Blossom later resurrects the Hatchasaurus who summons Putties but they are decimated and he is knocked down so Lord Zedd makes him grow. After the Thunder Megazord obliterates the monster, Zedd laments the defeat although it has distracted the Power Rangers but Cardiatron has survived the destruction of the Hatchasaurs and quickly starts to reassemble the monster. Zordon tells the Power Rangers to destroy Cardiatron to prevent the Hatchasaurs from returning, but Zedd realizes that it is still alive and blasts it with his lightning, allowing the heart to reassemble the monster much faster; the Rangers are forced to fight the Hatchasaurs once again. Even so, the two Megazords make short work of him. When Jason, Zack, and Trini frozen by the Terror Blossom but then freed by Billy's inventions, Lord Zedd makes the monster grow and sends Putties to protect his captives but they are easily defeated and his monster destroyed with the hostages being freed and finding out who the Power Rangers really are.
Over time, Lord Zedd discovered that the Rangers were no pushovers, and each of his monsters failed to defeat them. With the Thunderzords and new White Ranger at their side, the Power Rangers seemed indestructible. He soon unearthed the gigantic war machine known as Serpentera that was so large that it could crush the Ranger's Zords with ease. However its flaw was that it used up its energy so fast that it could only be used for short periods of time.
Soon it was time for Zedd's Centennial Recharge, which he must undergo to fully restore his evil energies. It was during this slumber that Rita Repulsa returned to the Palace, plotting revenge. She poured a love potion created by Finster into the Centennial Recharge machine, and when Zedd awoke, he instantly fell in love with Rita, proposing. However, the love potion did not work as Rita hoped; she planned on manipulating him, but Zedd was strong enough to resist, but not completely. He became less serious on defeating the Rangers and more focused on his life with Rita.
With Zedd and Rita working side by side, the Rangers' battles became more difficult than ever. Zedd and Rita's schemes together included creating a clone of the evil Tommy and sending the Rangers back into the past.
When his wife's brother, Rito Revolto, arrived on the moon (even with Tengas and a Vampirus as very late wedding gifts) Lord Zedd was disgusted by the skeleton's stupidity, and would bellow with rage every time Rito called him "Ed". Rita's love potion was eventually removed from Zedd thanks to Goldar; to everyone's surprise, Zedd truly loved Rita on his own. During the Pink Ranger fiasco when Zedd had her held hostage to force the Rangers to use the Shogun Zords in his service, Lord Zedd battled Tommy personally to keep him from saving Kimberly from an alternate dimension. This marked the only time that Zedd had battled a Ranger personally, proving himself quite capable of holding his own, a trait passed down to his son in later years. Though Zedd easily gained the upper hand against the White Ranger, Tommy used Saba to shatter Zedd's Z-Staff, forcing him to retreat.
When Master Vile arrived on the moon, Lord Zedd was pushed to the side as Vile took over in his search for the Zeo Crystal. He expressed disdain for his father-in-law, who constantly put him down. Once Vile left after his army was defeated by the Aquitian Rangers, Zedd was ecstatic, and he resumed his attacks on Earth. The Rangers had been turned to children due to Vile's Orb of Doom and all that stood in Zedd's way were the Aquitian Rangers. During this time, Zedd & Rita managed to destroy the Earth Rangers' Power coins, but only after Billy returned to his proper age. Zedd also found a map of the Rangers' Command Center, pointing out a weak point. He sent Goldar and Rito in to plant a bomb and steal the Zeo Crystal before the Orb of Doom's magic was undone. Though unable to stop the rangers in undoing the damage Master Vile did, Zedd was able to destroy the Command Center. But before they could take advantage of it, the Machine Empire arrived.
When the Machine Empire arrived and attacked, Zedd and Rita were forced to retreat, taking Serpentera to the M51 Galaxy. They soon returned, however, in a motorhome, plotting to overthrow King Mondo and destroy the Empire. The two forces clashed on several occasions, neither gaining much ground. At one point, Prince Gasket had Tommy brainwashed and closed a dimensional portal to his arena to prevent the Rangers (Minus Jason, who was at the arena) to save him, but Zedd had Finster help get the rangers to the arena to prevent a Machine victory. After a series of failed attempts, they finally managed to destroy the Royal House of Gadgetry with a bomb hidden beneath a gift.
Zedd and Rita were mysteriously absent during the Power Rangers: Turbo Season, and fans have speculated that a "gap" between Power Rangers Zeo and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie reveals what occurred after Rita and Zedd had regained control of the moon from The Machine Empire. The events in Forever Red suggest that Zedd at some point launched an attack on Earth with a significantly more powerful Serpentera, only to be defeated again by The Zeo Rangers. Disillusioned and convinced he would never defeat them, Zedd and Rita retreated for good.
Lord Zedd, along with Rita, makes a cameo appearance in Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie, although Zedd was asleep during the call and only provides snores. When Divatox calls Rita for advice on how to deal with the Power Rangers, she is subjected to Zedd's snoring and Rita instructing her to flee rather than fight on. After many successive failures, this was the best advice the villainess could get.
A year later, Zedd and Rita attended Dark Specter's conference on the Cimmerian Planet, Zedd toasting to Dark Specter's capture of Zordon and takeover of the universe, and unsuccessfully tried to attack Andros when he was caught spying.
Months later, they invaded the Vica Galaxy and quickly conquered it, defeating and capturing the Gold Ranger in the process. When Zordon's Energy Wave washed over them and their army, Zedd was spared, transformed into a human being. His love for Rita seemed to remain and the two danced together in the remnants of their army, much to the confusion of the Gold Ranger.
Before his purification, Zedd and Rita both had a son, Thrax, who was sealed away sometime before "Countdown" by the Solaris Knight. During his rise to power nine years later, during the events of Power Rangers Operation Overdrive, Thrax mentions that he seeks to rebuild his parents' legacy, disgusted by the fact that they were "lost to goodness". It is assumed by fans that Thrax was conceived during Zedd and Rita's time away before or during Power Rangers Turbo.
Lord Zedd was featured in a chronicle of Power Ranger history compiled by Tommy Oliver shortly after he formed the Dino Rangers six years later which was found by the nascent Ranger team in the Dino Lab after Mesogog captured Tommy.
Twenty four years after his purification, Lord Zedd's staff is one of the many villain relics in Ryjack's collection that are acquired by Evox and his minions. Evox plans to revive and gather the most notorious villains in the universe with Ryjack's reanimizer after reviving Sledge's Crew and Snide. Lord Zedd was one of the candidates to be revived (another being Astronema, Koragg, The Knight Wolf and Psycho Red), but were debunked due to backfired reasons until Evox decide to revive Goldar instead. Zedd was Scrozzle's choice until Robo-Roxy reminds everyone of what Zedd and Rita did to King Mondo and his family in the day after Jason return the Gold Zeo powers back to Trey of Triforia, out of fear that Zedd would secretly plan to betray Evox as well once revived. Horrified, Scrozzle rests Zedd's staff, Robo-Roxy is very disappointed, and Sledge despised him and not wanting him on his team.
After sending Dayne in an attempt to kill the Rangers, the Omega Rangers intervened by capturing Dayne which forced Zedd to implement his Plan B and turn his minions into his new Dark Rangers. However, before he could complete the process, the Omega Rangers stormed Rita's Moon Palace as a proactive move to deal with Zedd once and for all. Whilst his minions took on the Omega Rangers outside, Jason (as the Red Omega Ranger) managed to break into Zedd's throne room where he ordered some Putties to dispose of him. Once they were decimated however, Zedd regarded the mythical Omega Rangers and thier proactive attacks on evil before deciding to take them on personally.
Despite putting him up a good fight, Lord Zedd easily defeated Jason and tried to feed him to a massive shark monster but Kiya obliterated it with her Omega Trident and Zedd was then surrounded by the entire team of Omega Rangers. Jason demanded his surrender so, with his minions defeated and few choices left, Zedd enlarged himself into a giant and gloated over how they were trying to defeat him in his own environment but was immediately defeated when Jason fought dirty by using his Red Omega Zord to crush Zedd underfoot after he refused to surrender which knocked him out. Now unconscious, Zedd was captured by the Omega Rangers (though Goldar managed to take his Z Staff) and placed Zedd in a gigantic containment dumpster which was itself placed in a massive copper chamber in Safehaven prison.
Although Lord Zedd was captured, Jason and Zordon had a severe conversation with each other following his defeat. Jason was just glad that one of the greatest evils on the universe was going to jail for good but Zordon was worried that Zedd was manageable and his defeat would just cause other, more powerful villains to take over instead.
Lord Zedd later broke loose on his own when his minions found his dumpster and brought it back to the Moon. He berated his minions for being so inept (Goldar having acted as the leader of the group since Zedd was captured) but admitted that they did better than he thought. Rather than running away with their tails between their legs, they at least tried to destroy the Rangers which pleased him. He then returned to the Moon Palace.
After another failed Putty attack, Zedd had Finster create a special Putty that resembled Rita to act as the leader of his new Dark Rangers. As for the members of his new team, he chose his minions as their reward for their semi-competence in his absence at which point he successfully empowered with the Green Chaos Crystal.
Video game appearances
Power Rangers Super Legends
Lord Zedd appears as the main villain in the video game Power Rangers Super Legends. Years after the events of "Countdown to Destruction", Zedd's human form is an accomplished archaeologist on Earth, with no mention of his wife Rita anywhere. Despite being given a second chance at life, his human form wonders about his former life. Upon unearthing a set of time crystals, the human Zedd looks into the past and is instantly corrupted by the powers of his past self, who hated what he would become. Now evil again, with his powers restored, Zedd decided to enjoy making use of the time crystals to create chaos with the timeline, not caring of the consequences his actions may have on reality. He is voiced by Steven Jay Blum in the game, rather than Robert Axelrod. Blum would later go on to voice Reptile in Mortal Kombat X, using a similar voice.
He visits various points in the future and past, forming alliances with generals and leaders of villain factions and giving them minions from the other time zones to help accomplish their goals. He even makes it a point to pay Goldar a visit while he was serving Rita in his place and had a plan to use a potion on the Angel Grove water supply to turn citizens into new Putties for his plans. However, this plan is thwarted by the original Pink and Red Rangers. At the end of the game, it takes the combined effort of various Rangers from the past, present, and future to defeat him. Zedd attempts to escape, but accidentally drops his time crystal when fleeing to a void outside of time. The Omega Ranger admits to his fellow Rangers that it may take Zedd eons to escape, bringing peace to the universe on at least one front.
Power Rangers Legacy Wars
Lord Zedd is among the villains who feature in Power Rangers Legacy Wars.
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition
Lord Zedd is a playable character in a fighting game made for the SNES called Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition. In the game Lord Zedd is a formidable character. Possessing ranged attacks, teleports, an aerial dive attack, and a special move that draws in the opponent, he is very difficult to deal with and can be seen a high tier character with strong combos, mix-ups and pressure.
Titles Zedd refers to himself
While Lord Zedd referred to himself as the "Emperor of Evil", there are other titles he called himself.
- In the non-canon Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Live, Lord Zedd refers to himself as the "Prince of Darkness", a copyright reference to Ozzy Osbourne and Bram Stoker's Count Dracula character.
- In the game Power Rangers: Super Legends, he refers to himself as "Galactic Overlord Zedd".
|Master Vile ♂||∞||Lady Fienna ♀|
|Rito ♂||Rita ♀||∞|
In his debut appearance and 40 episodes after, Zedd starts off as very menacing, sadistic, and megalomaniacal. He coldly abuses his lackeys, dangerously silencing Goldar and others frequently and blaming them for most failures rather than taking responsibility for those failures himself. During and after "The Wedding" however, thanks to Rita's Love Potion, his personality changes to a mostly-loving and caring person around Rita, but he still abuses her and others when he doesn't get his way; for example, during their first marital argument, he silenced Rita and demanded her respect from him when she blamed him for their recent failure, then refused to comply to her listening to him from then on. Zedd harbored a lot of disrespect for Master Vile, especially when he got pushed to the side and also expressed disdain for him having stopped them from destroying Angel Grove. He is shown to hate being called "Ed" as he yells at Rito and Alpha 5 when they call him that.
When he was turned good by Zordon's Energy Wave, his evil personality traits were mostly purged; his love for Rita was enough for Zordon's energy to turn him into a human being.
In the non-canon Super Legends video game, Zedd's hunger for power remained, as he missed his former power and travelled back in time to witness his former self, which led to him becoming evil again.
Powers and Abilities
- Power: Lord Zedd is more powerful than any of his minions and the original Power Rangers, whilst possibly being on par with Zordon. In terms of overall power, Zedd's powers, while formidable, are much weaker than Master Vile, King Mondo, and Dark Specter, as he was quite intimidated by them.
- Strength: Despite fighting very rarely, Lord Zedd was the physically strongest villain in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Although he rarely fought the Rangers (preferring to send monsters and minions in his place), he was easily able to overpower Tommy whilst he was morphed.
- Virtual Immortality-Lord Zedd is known to have lived for at least 10,000 years without aging a day.
- Hand to Hand Combat: Outside of his magical abilities, Lord Zedd proved himself to be an excellent hand-to-hand fighter, as he easily defeated Tommy in battle. Zedd used simple punches and staff swings (combined with his formidable magic bolts) while Tommy resorted to his usual martial arts.
- Weapons Designer: Lord Zedd was an an expert designer of weapons, seeing as he single handedly designed his own Zord Serpentera, which is, to date, still the largest Zord in the entire universe of Power Rangers and probably the most powerful if it weren't for its small energy supply.
- Amazing Tactician: Lord Zedd also seemed to have a more tactical mind, compared to his subordinate and later wife Rita. Many of his plans involve trying to cause confusion or division among the Rangers, seeing as he realized their teamwork was their greatest asset, whereas Rita, during her solo tenure, was much more straight forward. He also did not limit himself to the standard plans of just sending out monsters as he tried to create his own evil team of human Rangers on two separate occasions and changed the Rangers into children at another. Concerning his monsters, Zedd also tended to create them from items personally important to one or more of the Rangers, attacking them psychologically in the hopes of making them useless in his war with Zordon.
- Growth Bomb Generation: Lord Zedd could generate white lightning around his left palm to generate a grenade. He would then throw it to Earth. It would explode on contact on the ground with the explosion growing the monster. Sometimes, the monster would grab it and slam it to the ground.
- Conjuration: Lord Zedd was able to conjure objects out of thin air such as his staff (from a snake) or Growth Bombs.
- Telescopic Vision: Lord Zedd's vision was so accurate, he could see what's happening on earth by just looking at the planet and projecting a large red beam from the visor on his head.
- Galactic Vision-Lord Zedd also seemed to be able to see what happens in an entirely different solar system, as seen when the Rangers traveled to Edenoi.
- Tempestakinesis: In his first appearance, Lord caused a thunderstorm on the moon.
- Projection: Lord also created a giant projection of himself in the clouds of said storm.
- Lightning Teleportation: Lord Zedd could generate lightning over himself to teleport to any location that he chooses.
- Electricity Strike: Lord Zedd could charge up his fist with white electricity and slam it down on his balcony's railing with enough force to bend the metal as shown repeatedly although it was shown for the first time in the episode "The Mutiny-part III" after the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord and Dragonzord were freed from his control.
- Lightning Blasts-Lord Zedd started firing off random blasts of white lightning from his right hand across the throne room after the Bloom of Doom's death.
- Z-Staff: Lord Zedd had a large staff with its end shaped like a Z for combat.
- Lightning Projection: Zedd could fire white lightning from the Z at the top of his staff that had a variety of effects.
- Monster Creation: The staff's primary use. Whilst Rita had to rely on Finster and his Monster-Matic to create her monsters, Zedd could effortlessly create his own monster, using nothing but lightning from his magic staff although he usually needed an object to create the monsters from.
- Monster Materialisation: In the episodes "The Power Stealer" and "Where There's Smoke, There's Fire", Zedd was able to create the Octophantom and later Flame Head and his stallion from nothing, showing that Zedd could make monsters out of thin air,
- Harmful Strikes: A single strike from Zedd's lightning was powerful enough to take Tommy down with a single blast during their one-on-one battle.
- Z-Putty Creation: Lord Zedd could create his own brand of Putties, dubbed Z-Putties by fans to differentiate them from Rita's Putties, by blasting an area of the ground using lightning from his staff.
- Weapon Vaporization-Lord Zedd was able to vaporize Rita's wand with his lightning once he arrived on Earth.
- Curses: On multiple occasions, Zedd managed to curse objects using his staff, giving them different effects such as cursing two pairs of sunglasses to make the wearer see everyone else as a Putty, in hopes of turning the Rangers against each other in the episode "Putty on the Brain."
- Wind Generation-Lord Zedd was able to fire lightning from his staff to generate massive winds. He only did this once in the episode "The Ninja Encounter-part II" when he blew some cherry blossom tree petals into the air to create the Terror Blossom.
- Monster Growth: Rita and Lord Zedd could cross their magic wand and Z-Staff respectively which amplified their magic to generate a lightning cloud. Said cloud would then fire off blue lightning to blast the monster with enough energy to make them grow. This was the primary way of growing monsters throughout season 3.
- Lightning Projection: Zedd could fire white lightning from the Z at the top of his staff that had a variety of effects.
- Laws of Nature-Lord Zedd apparently could not defy the laws of nature, according to Zordon in the episode "The Ninja Encounter-Part II", when the writer tried to explain why he couldn't just use his magic to germinate the Terror Blossom's seeds without needing a heat source.
- Z-Staff-Despite being an immensely powerful magician, Lord Zedd required his staff to actually use his magic. If it was broken, as happened when he fought Tommy, he would be unable to fight or cast spells, meaning that he would have to retreat.
- Lord Zedd's suit actor was Edwin Neal with the late Robert Axelrod supplying the voice and giving him a voice identical to the Goo Fish and Lokar. Edwin Neal also portrayed his human form at the end of In Space but he didn't speak aside from laughs (which Neal himself provided).
- Steven Blum voiced him in the video game Power Rangers: Super Legends, Tony Oliver voiced him in the Power Rangers Super Megaforce video game, and Malika Lim portrayed him in Power Rangers HyperForce.
- Master Vile - Father-in-Law
- Lady Fienna - Mother-in-Law
- Rito Revolto - Brother-in-Law
- Rita Repulsa - Wife
- Thrax - Son
Behind the scenes
- Originally depicted as a frighteningly more evil character than Rita, with a dark, Gothic atmosphere during his scenes in the Moon Palace and the dark tone of his theme, complaints from parents resulted in Zedd being toned down immensely, such as asking his minions "What's for lunch, you ninnies?", reversing the Earth's rotation in an attempt to turn the Rangers back into kids, and his marriage to Rita. After this, most of his plans seemed rather hare-brained and wackier than previously, such as creating a monster to induce cravings for junk food or creating a monster that causes friends and romantic couples to hate each other.
- The person who actually designed Lord Zedd is unknown since they have never come forward; therefore, the most conclusive evidence the viewers have of their identity comes from costume designer Danielle Baker. She has said "Lord Zedd was designed by a comic book illustrator who would come in and conceptualize everything for us." It is also known that he designed "really dark comic books."
- Although artists like Jim Lee could be seen as matching these elements, they were based out of New York and not Los Angeles where Saban Entertainment was based out of.
In other media
- Lord Zedd has appeared in some comics of MMPR. His role was much the same as it was during the second and third seasons of the show (though at times he is written with more of Rita's characteristics, such as using his staff to grow monsters like Rita would).
- Zedd also appears as a hidden mini-boss in the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie game for Sega Genesis. During the game's Ninja Encounter stage, the player can enter a cave where they face a giant Zedd. It is necessary to avoid his attacks and land enough blows on Zedd's fingers to escape.
- Zedd also appears in Super Gameboy/Gameboy's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie. He appears as both boss of a stage, and one of the 5 guards that are in Ivan's stage. He teleports, swings his staff, and can shoot a spark shot. If you stand in his shadow he will teleport somewhere else instead.
- He is also the penultimate opponent in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition, as well as being a playable character in versus mode.
- Lord Zedd is the primary antagonist of the console version of Power Rangers: Super Legends.
- In a comic crossover with DC Comics, Zedd and the Power Rangers end up in the DC Universe due to a teleportation accident. Zedd allies with the supercomputer Brainiac, promising a city from his universe in exchange for eliminating the Rangers; he keeps the Justice League busy with an army of monsters.
- Lord Zedd will be one of the Season 1 DLC characters in Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid. One of his move set animations resembles to one of Under Night In-Birth characters, such as Hyde Kido (similar 3B attack) and Gordeau the Harvester (Mortal Slide to Shade Harvest (BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle variant)).
- Lord Zedd was the first Power Ranger villain to be Power Rangers-exclusive and not derived from Super Sentai.
- Despite being an American villain, Zedd's name used the British pronunciation of the letter "z" (or "zee" in the USA).
- Cards from the 90s presented the birthplace as Intergalactic Bio-Steel Labs.
- Zedd loves Halloween, but despises Christmas.
- Some parents complained about Zedd being too frightening to younger children. As a result, Zedd was toned down after marrying Rita though this also disappointed many fans as they preferred the darker and more serious villain.
- Debate remains as to why there was such a black-lash but the most likely reason was because Mortal Kombat 1 came out a year before Season 1 and the complaints would have started coming in around the time of late Season 2 (since Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty much filmed back to back).
- Zedd's design included tubing running throughout his skeletal metal frame, the purpose of which is unknown. The tubing was typically omitted from all appearances outside the show, such as action figures, video games and the live show. The tubing was put into the Lord Zedd figure for the Hasbro Lightning Collection line.
- Zedd was the only non-humanoid villain shown to become good in "Countdown to Destruction."
- One possible inspiration for Zedd design may be the cover of the 1986 Iron Maiden album Somewhere in Time. This cover by Derek Riggs depicts the band mascot, Eddie, as a cyborg sharing very similar features with Lord Zedd.
- The comic writers intended to write Zedd as he was originally intended for television - dark, serious and malicious - instead of having him become goofier and less menacing.
- Zedd is no match for an Omega Zord, which pummelled him so hard that he was put into a coma for several issues.
- Lieutenant Colonel Shadam - Super Sentai counterpart in Dairanger. See comparison page. (main antagonist of Season 2's counterpart)
- Gorma XV - Super Sentai counterpart in Dairanger. See comparison page. (supreme leader of their respective armies)
- Daimaou - Super Sentai counterpart in Ninja Sentai Kakuranger. See comparison page. (main antagonist of Season 3's counterpart)
- Great Satan - Super Sentai counterpart in Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. See comparison page.- (in terms of being Rita's master)
- Lord Zedd (movie)
- Lord Zedd (2016 comic)
|Power Rangers (Boom Studios)|
|Jason Lee Scott - Zack Taylor - Billy Cranston - Trini Kwan - Kimberly Ann Hart - Tommy Oliver|
|The 1969 Rangers|
|Grace Sterling - Nikolai Chukarin - Terona Washington - Daniel O'Halloran - Jamie Gilmore|
|The All-New Power Rangers|
|Britt - Serge|
|Promethea Rangers/Solar Rangers|
|Kimberly Ann Hart - Mike Corbett - Tanya Sloan - Heckyl - Cameron Watanabe - Andros - Ellarien - Remi|
|Post-Shattered Grid Rangers|
|Adam Park - Aisha Campbell - Rocky DeSantos - Matthew Cook|
|Zordon - Alpha 5 - Ninjor - Dr. K - Amanda - XI - Yale of Saard - The Justice League|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
|Leonardo - Raphael - Michelangelo - Donatello - April O'Neil|
|Guardians of Eltar|
|Zophram - Zartus - Zordon - Zelya|
|Bulk - Skull - Ms. Appleby - Ernie - Mrs. Pruitt - Roger Hart - Helen Hart - Mrs. Kwan - Mrs. Oliver - Mr. Cranston - Mrs. Cranston - Violet Arias - Sam Scott|
|Evil Space Aliens|
|Rita Repulsa - Lord Zedd - Dayne - Goldar - Squat - Baboo - Scorpina - Putty Patrollers|
|Sir Locks-A-Lot - Vixenya - Commandant - Vitruvian Man Giant - Black Dragon - Unnamed Plant Monster - Double Disastron - Karmadillo - Boarlock - Goth Sloth - Crowverload - Mr. Meowgi - Wizard of Deception - Psycho Green - Sheeple - Crystal Cryptid - Monsieur Muster - Mutant Rangers|
|Go Go Power Rangers Monsters|
|Flog - Putty Infiltrator - Montaur - Rammerhead - Pudgy Pig - Megaputty - Stabasaurus Rex - Warbunny - Nimrod the Scarlet Sentinel - AC - DC|
|Shattered Grid and Beyond the Grid|
|Lauren Shiba - Jen Scotts - Dark Ranger - Space Rangers - Ninja Steel Rangers - Carter Grayson - HyperForce Rangers - Mike Corbett - Ari - Remi|
|World of the Coinless|
|Zack - Trini - Saba - Ranger Slayer - Skull - Billy - Jason - Bulk - Aisha Campbell - Matt - Scorpina - Adam Park|
|Shattered Grid: Lord Drakkon - Finster 5 - Ranger Sentries - Rita Repulsa - Koragg, The Knight Wolf - A-Squad - Psycho Rangers - Cogs - Grinders|
|Beyond the Grid: Praetor|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers|
|0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34 - 35 - 36 - 37 - 38 - 39 - 40 - 41 - 42 - 43 - 44 - 45 - 46 - 47 - 48 - 49 - 50 - 51 - 52 - 53 - 54 - 55|
|Go Go Power Rangers|
|1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32|
|1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8|
|1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8|
|Power Rangers Unlimited|
|Heir to Darkness - Edge of Darkness|
|Annuals/Specials and Crossovers|
|2016 Annual - 2017 Annual - 2018 Annual - Anniversary Special - Free Comic Book Day 2018 Special - Shattered Grid Finale - Back To School Special - Forever Rangers|
|Justice League/Power Rangers|
|Issue 1 - Issue 2 - Issue 3 - Issue 4 - Issue 5 - Issue 6|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
|MMPR/TMNT Issue 1 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 2 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 3 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 4 - MMPR/TMNT Issue 5|
|View • Edit|