|This article is about a/an villain in Power Rangers Zeo, the second season in the Zordon Era.|
|"You haven't heard the last of King Mondo and the Machine Empire!"|
|―King Mondo's final words before his death.[src]|
- 1 Character History
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Arsenal
- 5 In other media
- 6 Behind the Scenes
- 7 Notes
- 8 Appearances
- 9 See Also
- 10 References
Power Rangers Zeo
Driving Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd off the moon, Mondo believed the Earth would be an easy conquest, but was shocked when his army of Cogs was repelled by the Zeo Rangers. Intrigued by the idea of being challenged in a conquest, Mondo decided to take his time trying to conquer Earth, as he had gotten bored of the easy takeovers of other galaxies.
However, Mondo soon grew tired of the Rangers, who repeatedly thwarted his plans (some successful, some almost successful, some not). The conquest of Earth was made even more difficult when the Gold Ranger arrived and bolstered the Zeo Rangers' ranks, despite repeated efforts by the Machine King to take the Gold Ranger's powers for himself. Mondo finally tired of fooling around and unearthed the ancient Sword of Damocles, intending to personally destroy the rangers. He grew giant and confronted Earth's defenders, but was vanquished by their new Super Zeo Megazord.
Despite this victory for the Rangers, Queen Machina expressed confidence that Mondo would be rebuilt. During this time, the Royal House of Gadgetry had to deal with potential usurper Louie Kaboom, who tried to woo Machina but eventually placed her and Prince Sprocket under arrest and ruled by decree. Mondo's first son Prince Gasket soon arrived with his wife Archerina, took care of Kaboom, and then took over themselves.
King Mondo returned to the throne shortly after chasing away the two. He tells Machina and Sprocket that he got word that Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa's return to the Moon in their attempt to overthrow them. He clashed with the rangers in battle with his new monster Cog Changer. When Rita and Zedd threw down their gauntlet and sent down their own monster, Mondo asked them for a temporary alliance. Both Zedd and Rita both refused, pointing out that they're back to regain control. Mondo merged the two monsters, but this plan failed. After a failed attempt to steal the Gold Ranger Powers again, the Royal House of Gadgetry met with Rita and Zedd on the moon to strike up an alliance. However, they were double crossed as Rita and Zedd's "surrender" gift was actually a bomb. Mondo and his family were blown to bits but Mondo survives, though he is badly damaged and swore vengeance.
Power Rangers in Space
Rebuilt once again, King Mondo attended Dark Specter's conference on the Cimmerian Planet with his wife and was present when a mysterious Red Ranger crashed the party. Months later, he teamed with General Havoc and led the Machine Empire in invading KO-35 and the Phantom Ranger's home planet. When Zordon's energy wave struck, King Mondo was reduced to a pile of sand, destroyed forever.
Power Rangers Wild Force
Years later, General Venjix, the leader of the Machine Empire remnants, still looks up to his former king as a living god over creation. Before his destruction, he is sad that he has failed his king years after the Machine Empire fell. King Mondo is mentioned by Venjix, as he shows to his minions a statue of him.
Power Rangers Beast Morphers
True to his name, King Mondo acts very much like a king or an emperor, he is a ruthless entity that will do anything in his power to destroy the Rangers and rule the Earth, despite this, he is loyal to his monster creations (valuing them as his equals) and is good terms with his family, as well as his servants Klank and Orbus (even so, he does occasionally boss them around a little). He loves his wife and second son dearly, but is on shaky terms with his first son due to the fact that he married the daughter of his sworn rival King Aradon.
Powers and Abilities
Being the ruler of all machines, King Mondo is one of the most powerful villains in Power Rangers Zeo, he is also shown to be more powerful than Rita herself.
- Strength: King Mondo possesses a great deal of strength.
- Finger Lightning Beam: King Mondo can fire light blue colored lightning beams from his fingers.
- Force Field: King Mondo has the ability to create a force field.
- Teleportation Negation: Mondo's force field can prevent the Rangers from teleporting.
- Teleportation: King Mondo can teleport to any location at will.
- Longevity: Mondo has been alive for 1,000 years.
- Boxing Combat: Humorously, it is shown that King Mondo is excellent at boxing.
- Strength: With the Sword of Damocles in hand, Super King Mondo is now ten times stronger than before.
- Enhanced Durability: Also with the Sword of Damocles, Super King Mondo's skin becomes extremely thick, being able to withstand multiple blows from the Super Zeo Zord 3 and not even get a scratch.
to be added
- Machine Staff: King Mondo possesses a staff to aid him in combat that resembles a cogwheel combined with a turbine engine.
- Lightning Wave: King Mondo can fire a light blue colored lightning wave from his staff.
- Lightning Rain: King Mondo can also fire light blue colored lightning in the air that will rain down on the enemy.
- Lightning Beam: King Mondo can fire light blue colored lighting beams from his staff.
- Lightning Bolts: King Mondo can fire lightning bolts from his staff.
- Sword of Damocles: A weapon that he sealed away 1,000 years ago, it aids Super King Mondo in combat. It is shown to be even more powerful then the Machine Staff, being able to destroy the Super Zeo Zord 3's weapon.
- Enlarging: Mondo is able to use this sword to grow giant.
- Laser Barrage: King Mondo can fire a barrage of red colored energy lasers from his sword.
In other media
- King Mondo appears as the primary antagonist and final boss in Power Rangers Zeo vs The Machine Empire. Throughout the game, Mondo makes threats to the Power Rangers, but is often scolded and threatened by Queen Machina.
- King Mondo appears in the first and only issue of the Power Rangers Zeo comic book by Image Comics.
- King Mondo appears in Power Rangers Zeo: Full Tilt Battle Pinball. He is the final boss, appearing in the North Pole after Prince Sprocket's destruction.
- King Mondo appears as a playable racer in Power Rangers Zeo: Battle Racers.
- King Mondo appears as a Boss in the board game Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid, in the expansion "Villain Pack #2: Machine Empire".
- King Mondo appears as a playable character in Power Rangers Deck-Building Game Zeo: Stronger Than Before.
Behind the Scenes
- King Mondo is portrayed by David Stenstrom.
to be added
to be added
- Mondo's title of monarchy is a misnomer, since he's a king, not an emperor like his Sentai counterpart, who rules the Machine Empire. However, this misnomer can be excused, since a similar thing happened in real life, as the historical British Empire was still ruled by kings and queens.
- If one looks closely at King Mondo's face, they can see a molded-in moustache.
- In the Power Rangers Zeo vs The Machine Empire, he is referred to as 'The Emperor.'
- Mondo is notable for being the first main villain in the Power Rangers franchise to be destroyed in direct combat against the Power Rangers, albeit only temporary.
- Also unlike his Ohranger counterpart Bacchus Wrath where after his first defeat, he returns only as a head, Mondo is completly rebuilt when he returns to power. This is depicted using spliced Ohranger footage and newly-shot footage to accomodate Mondo's presence.
- Ironically, in the second destruction of Mondo by Rita's and Zedd's bomb, the only thing that is not destroyed from Mondo is his head similar to his Sentai counterpart.
- He is the only villainous leader from the Zordon-Era to be destroyed in Countdown to Destruction. The others, namely Rita, Zedd, Divatox, and Astronema/Karone, were all purified from evil and changed into humans.
- King Mondo is the first villainous leader in the Power Rangers franchise to be a robot.
- In the Latin dubbing, since episode 3 of Power Rangers Zeo, King Mondo is played by Humberto Velez, who is known for playing Homer Simpson in the series The Simpsons, coincidentally Toru Ohira who plays Emperor Bacchus Wrath, King Mondo's counterpart, also play Homer Simpson in the japanese dub.
- Mondo shares his name with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers’ season two villain Mondo the Magician.
to be added