|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "It's time to change the rules of this little game!"
- ―Hatchasaurus before using Lord Zedd's enlargment grenade[src]
Hatchasaurus is a bird/dinosaur themed monster created by Finster. Hatchasaurus possessed a magical speaking computer heart called Cardiatron (which looks like a heart with the tentacles) who is able to re-assemble/enhance the monster after his destruction. They serve as the main antagonists of the episode "Birds of a Feather" and Hatchasaurs alone serves as the main antagonist of the second part of the second the three part episode "The Ninja Encounter."
Hatchasaurus and Cardiatron were created by Finster after Goldar advised this monster to Rita. Goldar mentioned that this monster once defeated the Dragonzord, though he didn't leave the Rangers any chances. Rita sent Hatchasaurus to Earth. Hatchasaurus encountered the Rangers but was quickly overpowered by the Dragonzord, taken down by the combined firepower of the Sabertooth Tiger, Triceratops, and Pterodactyl, and destroyed by the Tyrannosaurs Dinozord's mist breath. However, Cardiotron brought him back so they formed the Megazord. Hatchasaurus easily wiped the floor with the Megazord and the Dragonzord had been rendered useless by Rita. Eventually however, after Jason broke into the monster and activated his Dragon Shield, the Zord broke free from the power of the Dragon Dagger's music and took down the monster at which point Jason and Cardiotron were thrown clear. With thier comrade safe, the others summoned the Power Sword and again destroyed the monster. However, he again reserected in his third and most powerful form and beat them senseless. Unfortunately for the Hatchasaurs, and despite Cardiotron's attempts to destroy him, Jason was unfazed and used the Power Sword and Dragon Dagger to destroy Cardiotron. With the monster now crippled and without any way to reform, Jason calls for Titanus and they form the Ultrazord which finishes off Hatchasaurus despite it trying despirately to run it down.
Hatchasaurus later reappeared in the second season when he was summoned by the Terror Blossom to distract the Rangers whilst he planted seeds to bud into new version of himself This time around it possessed the capability to speak with Cardiatron not speaking (strangely with Cardiatron's original voice and mannerisms) and was human sized instead of always being giant. Like the first time, the Rangers had to destroy Cardiatron, before they could destroy the monster completely. He originally summoned Z-Putties but they were defeated so Zedd made him grow. To defeat him for the first time, they merely took him down with the Thunder Megazord's Power Punch and destroyed him with the it's mist attack, but it quickly reassembled. The second time around, Hatchasaurs easily defeats the Rangers, using his eyebeams and some warts on his shoulders to his advantage. Eventually however, the Rangers eventually power up the Thunder Sabre and slash him. Although the Hatchasaurs survives the Thunder Saber slash (which apparently destroyed Cardiatron inside of the Hatchasaurus), he was weakened enough to be taken out once and for all by the White Tigerzord's White Tiger Thunderbolts. As Tommy put it (in refference to his final words) "you're the one who's finished Hatchasaurs, for good."
Although he never returned to fight the Rangers again, the Hatchasaurus was later seen in the Shadow World.
Hatchasaurus and Cardiatron are highly headstrong and arrogant monsters. The first time they appeared Hatchasaurus didn't talk, only spoke in groans and roars. While Cardiatron could talk and spoke in arrogant and confident, but aristocratic and intellectual manner. The second time they appeared Carduatron didn't talk, while Hatchasaurus could talk and was much more intelligent and cunning. Also they are highly faithful to Rita and Zedd.
Powers And Abilities
- Superhuman Strength:-The Hatchasaurus possess enormous physical strength, being able to lift the Dino Megazord clean off of its feet and into the air and smash a building or pieces with just two swings of his his bare hands.
- Superhuman Durability:-The Hatchasaurus is also highly durable, with his first form being able to take the Sabertooth Tiger and Triceratops tail blasts and the Pterodactyl's lightning and only be knocked down momentarily and, during his battle against the Dino Megazord, the Power Sword stabbed right through his back and he fell down yet was able to survive with little if any injuries. His most impressive display of durability however was him being able to survive the Thunder Megazord's energised Thunder Sabre (although this did severely weaken him and seemed to destroy Cardiotron).
- Superhuman Speed:-The Hatchasaurs also possesses impressive speed, being able to ram his shell into the Megazord with incredible speed whilst also giving it enough power to knock back the formation.
- Superhuman Agility:-The Hatchasaurs also possesses superhuman agility, being able to spin around and slam both the Dino and Thunder Megazord's with his shell easily.
- Superhuman Stamina:-The Hatchasaurs also has superhuman stamina, being able to hold off both the Dragonzord and Dino Megazord and later the Thunder Megazord and White Tigerzord for long periods of time without fatigue.
- Energy Blasts-The Hatchasaurs can fire yellow lightning from his eyes strong enough to knock back the Dino Megazord and force the Thunder Megazord to lose its Thunder Sabre.
- Shoulder Volcano Summoning-The Hatchasaurs can summon wart like protrusions from his arms which can then fire a barrage of sparks with enough power to take down the Thunder Megazord and White Tigerzord with a single volley.
- Z-Putty Summoning-When reserected by the Terror Blossom, the Hatchasaurs was able to summon a batch of Z-Putties to aid him in distracting the Power Rangers from finding the monster.
- Claws-Although lacking in conventional weapons, the Hatchasaurs has massive hands with each finger having razor sharp claws to maul his enemies with.
- Beak-Being based upon a bird, the Hatchasaurs has a large yellow beak that he used to brutally peck the Dino Megazord in the neck whilst he pinned it down.
- Reassembling/Enhancing: Cardiatron can resurrect and enhance Hatchsaurus after he is destroyed and make him stronger.
- Superhuman Strength: While not as nearly strong as his partner, Cardiatron possess big physical strength seeing as he was able to hold Jason in the air and send him flying with a single swing of his tentacles.
- Tentacles: -Cardiotron has massive red tentacles, which he can use to ship and throw around in battle?
- Energy Blasts-Cardiotron can fire a massive yellow energy blast from the tips of his tentacles that is powerful enough to take don Jason even whilst powered up by the Dragon Shield.
Behind The Scenes
- The first time they appeared Hatchasaurus was voiced by Kirk Thornton, while Cardiatron was voiced by Richard Cansino.
- The second time they appeared, Hatchasaurus was voiced by Steve Kramer, while Cardiatron didn't even make an appearance in the episode.
- Hatchasaurs is the first monster to reappear after his original destruction in the entire franchise. This would become a common trend to happen at least once per season following "The Wedding."
- This is disregarding the episode "Orchestral Maneuvers in the Park" since those returning monsters see merely illusions.
- The Hatchasaurs is easily the most powerful monster of all Season 1, being able to literally pick up and throw the Megazord like it was nothing, hold it's own against the Dragonzord, survive multiple finishing moves and always come back, get increasingly stronger with each defeat, could adapt to the Rangers strategies (shown when he says "no you don't, not this time" when the Megazord prepared to do it's mist attack for a second time, and requiring the strongest formation they had up to that point to defeat.
- The Hatchasaurs is the only monster to survive the Dino Megazord's Power Sword slash and the Thunder Megazord's energised Thunder Sabre finishers. He is also the first monster destroyed by the White Tigerzord.
- Admittedly however, he was ripped apart by the Dino Megazord finisher and required reforming by Cardiotron so the accuracy of that is debatable.
- Back in early 2003, shortly after the series changed hands from Saban Entertainment to Disney, some of the monster costumes, including the Hatchasaurus, were auctioned off by ABC Auctions. It sold for $213.05 and it made a cameo among it's new owner's toy collection on the 8th season 1 episode of Toy Hunter. Along with Bloom of Doom, Calcifier, Wolfbane, & Shockatron.