|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
Hatchasaurus is a bird/dinosaur themed monster created by Finster who possessed a magical speaking computer heart called Cardiatron who is able to re-assemble and enhance the monster after every time that he is destroyed. They serve as the main antagonists of the episode "Birds of a Feather" and Hatchasaurs alone serves as the main antagonist of the second part of the three part episode "The Ninja Encounter."
Hatchasaurus and Cardiatron were initially within an egg and Goldar mentioned that this monster once defeated the Dragonzord, though he didn't leave the Rangers any chances. Rita sent Hatchasaurus to Earth. Hatchasaurus encountered the Rangers but was quickly overpowered by the Dragonzord, taken down by the combined firepower of the Sabertooth Tiger, Triceratops, and Pterodactyl, and destroyed by the Tyrannosaurus' mist breath. However, Cardiatron brought him back so they formed the Megazord. Hatchasaurus easily wiped the floor with the Megazord and the Dragonzord had been rendered useless by Rita. Eventually however, Jason broke into the monster and activated his Dragon Shield, playing the Dragon Dagger which allowed the Dragonzord to break free with a boost of energy. Now free from Rita's spell, the Dragonzord took down the monster with a strike to the chest with its tail at which point Jason and Cardiatron were thrown clear. With their comrade safe, the others summoned the Power Sword and again destroyed the monster. However, he again resurrected in his third and most powerful form and beat them senseless. Unfortunately for the Hatchasaurs, and despite Cardiatron's attempts to destroy him, Jason was unfazed and used the Power Sword and Dragon Dagger to destroy Cardiatron. With the monster now crippled and without any way to reform, Jason calls for Titanus and they form the Ultrazord which finishes off Hatchasaurus.
Hatchasaurus later reappeared in the second season when he was revived by the Terror Blossom to distract the Rangers whilst he planted seeds to bud into new versions of himself. This time around, he possessed the capability to speak with Cardiatron not speaking and was human sized instead of always being giant. Like the first time, the Rangers had to destroy Cardiatron, before they could destroy the monster completely. He originally summoned Putties but they were defeated so Lord Zedd made him grow. To defeat him for the first time, they merely took him down with the Thunder Megazord's Power Punch and destroyed him with its mist attack, but it quickly reassembled. The second time around, Hatchasaurs easily defeats the Rangers, using his eyebeams and some warts on his shoulders to his advantage. Eventually however, the Rangers managed to power up the Thunder Saber and slash him. Although the Hatchasaurs survives the Thunder Saber slash (which apparently destroyed Cardiatron inside of the Hatchasaurus), he was weakened enough to be taken out once and for all by the White Tigerzord's White Tiger Thunderbolts.
Although he never returned to fight the Rangers again, the Hatchasaurus was later seen in the Shadow World.
Hatchasaurus and Cardiatron are highly headstrong and arrogant monsters. The first time they appeared Hatchasaurus didn't talk, only spoke in groans and roars. While Cardiatron could talk and spoke in arrogant and confident, but aristocratic and intellectual manner. The second time they appeared Cardiatron didn't talk, while Hatchasaurus could talk and was much more intelligent and cunning. Also they are highly faithful to Rita and Zedd.
Powers And Abilities
- Strength: The Hatchasaurus possess enormous physical strength, being able to lift the Dino Megazord clean off of its feet and into the air and smash a building or pieces with just two swings of his his bare hands.
- Durability: The Hatchasaurus is also highly durable, with his first form being able to take the Sabertooth Tiger and Triceratops tail blasts and the Pterodactyl's lightning and only be knocked down momentarily. His most impressive display of durability however was him being able to survive the Thunder Megazord's energized Thunder Saber (although this did severely weaken him and seemed to destroy Cardiatron).
- Speed:The Hatchasaurs also possesses impressive speed, being able to ram his shell into the Megazord with incredible speed whilst also giving it enough power to knock back the formation.
- Agility: The Hatchasaurs also possesses superhuman agility, being able to spin around and slam both the Dino and Thunder Megazord's with his shell easily.
- Stamina: The Hatchasaurs also has superhuman stamina, being able to hold off both the Dragonzord and Dino Megazord and later the Thunder Megazord and White Tigerzord for long periods of time without fatigue.
- Horn Blasts: The Hatchasaurs can fire yellow lightning from his horns strong enough to knock back the Dino Megazord and force the Thunder Megazord to lose its Thunder Saber.
- Shoulder Volcano Summoning: The Hatchasaurs can summon wart like protrusions from his arms which can then fire a barrage of sparks with enough power to take down the Thunder Megazord and White Tigerzord with a single volley.
- Z-Putty Summoning: When resurrected by the Terror Blossom, the Hatchasaurs was able to summon a batch of Z-Putties to aid him in distracting the Power Rangers from finding the monster.
- Claws: Although lacking in conventional weapons, the Hatchasaurs has massive hands with each finger having razor sharp claws to maul his enemies with.
- Beak: Being based upon a bird, the Hatchasaurs has a large yellow beak that he used to brutally peck the Dino Megazord in the neck whilst he pinned it down.
Behind The Scenes
- The first time they appeared Hatchasaurus was voiced by Kirk Thornton, while Cardiatron was voiced by Richard Cansino.
- The second time they appeared, Hatchasaurus was voiced by Steve Kramer, while Cardiatron didn't speak.
- The Hatchasaurs is easily the most powerful monster of all Season 1, being able to literally pick up and throw the Megazord like it was nothing, hold its own against the Dragonzord, survive multiple finishing moves and always come back, get increasingly stronger with each defeat, could adapt to the Rangers strategies and requiring the strongest formation they had up to that point to defeat it.
- The Hatchasaurs is the only monster to survive the Dino Megazord's Power Sword slash and the Thunder Megazord's Thunder Saber finisher. He is also the first monster destroyed by the White Tigerzord.
- Back in early 2003, shortly after the series changed hands from Saban Entertainment to Disney, some of the monster costumes, including the Hatchasaurus, were auctioned off by ABC Auctions. It sold for $213.05 and it made a cameo among its new owner's toy collection on the 8th season 1 episode of Toy Hunter. Along with Bloom of Doom, Calcifier, Wolfbane, & Shockatron.
- Hatchasaurus's Monster Suit is the only remaining Monster Suit from season 1, all other suits were destroyed, fell apart from the passing of time or disassembled for other uses.