|This article is about a/an villain in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|This article is about a/an villain in Power Rangers Beast Morphers.|
Goldar (or Flydar in the pilot episode), was the most powerful warrior of the Evil Space Aliens who served under the command of Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd and usually usually fought alongside Scorpina or Rito Revolto.
Goldar serves as the main antagonist of the episodes "Day of the Dumpster", "A Pressing Engagement", "Green With Evil parts I, II and III", "Doomsday", "Crystal of Nightmares," "A Pig Surprise," "Return of an Old Friend," "Grid Connection." and the overarching main antagonist of "A Star is Born",
According to the first conversations between Goldar and Lord Zedd, Goldar served Zedd with unquestioning loyalty before he was assigned to Rita's team. Where and for how long he served Zedd is unknown before he and the rest of the villains (bar Zedd) were sealed in a dumpster by Zordon.
10,000 years later, two astronauts accidentally released the Evil Space Aliens who reclaimed their Moon Palace as their base and quickly unleashed their Putty Patrollers on Zordon's new Power Rangers. Meanwhile, Goldar led his Empress' very first invasion against the Earth. However, he soon faced the Power Rangers who wiped the floor with his Putties until Rita made him grow giant. The Rangers summoned their Dinozords for the first time and formed the Dino Megazord in Tank Mode but it failed to harm Goldar who blasted them and caused major damage. They then formed Battle Mode and took on Goldar but he proved too much. Unfortunately for him, before he could kill them, they summoned the Power Sword and, knowing what it could do, he fled. He spent the following episode in the background contributing nothing.
As part of a plan to divide and conquer the Rangers with a monster, Goldar sent a platoon to attack Kimberly and Trini at a recycling plant. Once this failed, he personally led an attack on the two girls by the Putties whilst the males attacked the Mighty Minotaur. They were initially overwhelmed by the Putties until the Mighty Minotaur was grown so they summoned the Dinozords, Kimberly using her Pterodactyl's laser cannons to defeat the Putties, forcing Goldar to withdraw.
Rita developed a scheme to use King Sphinx's wind power to blow away four of the Rangers and kill Jason with Goldar and the monster. Goldar arrived very abruptly in the fight, when Jason and Sphinx were at a stalemate in the fight, and turned the tide with fire blasts before Rita made them grow. They blasted Jason down several times but he managed to get the newly sent Power Crystals to summon the Rnagers. They summoned their Dinozords but Tank Mode had no effect on the duo and their counter attack did several damage so they entered Tank Mode. Goldar and King Sphinx easily held their own, even forcing the Megazord back into Tank Mode at one point, but he was forced to retreat after the monster was slain.
He became notable for telling Rita what to do frequently (which Rita told him never to do again in "Doomsday" part 2), and always promised that they will get revenge for their schemes' failures, even though they really didn't in the end. He also has been called a "bumbling fool" by Rita in "A Star is Born", and was scolded by Rita vehemently in "Happy Birthday, Zack", being called a "worthless misfit" and a "dweeb". This pattern also happened when Lord Zedd was introduced as well; in addition to insulting the now apparently-incompetent golden warrior, he often blamed Goldar for his own failures, and had a habit of silencing him (and Squatt and Baboo) frequently, which is the reason why Goldar doesn't have as many lines in the other two seasons than he does in the first season.
Ever since then, Goldar fought the Rangers and their Zords, growing a strong hatred for Jason and Tommy, the Red and Green Rangers, for their continual victories in single combat. Goldar also had a Zord of his own known as Cyclopsis, an ancient war machine, but this Zord was defeated by the Rangers' Ultrazord after a prolonged battle. He was also involved in one of Bulk and Skull's more memorable encounters with a monster, in which Goldar (giant sized) picked up a bus with the two bullies inside.When Lord Zedd arrived on the moon, Goldar eagerly abandoned Rita for his old master, regaining his wings in the process. As Zedd's right hand man, Goldar led many missions for him, encountering Tommy (now the White Ranger) again and again. Each time they fought, the White Ranger would best him, sending Goldar back to Zedd in disgrace. When Rita returned to the moon and married Zedd, Goldar was aghast. When he finally discovered it was a sham, he immediately set out to make things right and had Finster create an antidote for the love spell Rita used. Unfortunately for Goldar, it was revealed that Zedd had come to love Rita on his own, potion or not. Even after Rita dropped her secret plans of usurping Zedd, Goldar still had a massive dislike for her. Often paired with Rito Revolto, Goldar was disgusted by the skeleton's stupidity (and stench), although they eventually became friends of sorts. This is shown to be true as Rito gave him a Christmas present and he accepted it without argument. Climb Every Fountain," Rita and Zedd assigned Goldar and Rito the mission of planting a bomb under and inside of the Command Center. but it was defused by Alpha 5. The two were then given a map of the Command Center's basement (that Zedd found) and entered the Center through an underground labyrinth of tunnels that the rule of Power Coins only did not apply to. The duo succeeded in stealing the Zeo Crystal (although he didn't escape with it) The bomb went off, and the Command Center exploded.
However, Goldar and Rito somehow lost the Crystal, and their memories (and in Goldar's case, his wings), and ended up wandering around Angel Grove. They eventually found Bulk and Skull, and ended up becoming their butlers in exchange for food and shelter. Zedd and Rita eventually found them and restored their memories (and Goldar's wings). They returned to their employers and helped them in their quest to destroy the Machine Empire.Power Rangers in Space finale, Countdown to Destruction appearing alongside Rita, Zedd, Squatt, and Finster when he fired an energy blast strong enough to send Trey of Triforia flying away. His absence after Zordon's Energy Wave suggests that he was turned to dust alongside the majority of other villains in the United Alliance of Evil, something that is confirmed twenty-two years later. Ryjack's collection that are acquired by Evox and his minions (what exactly killed Goldar is not made clear but he was most likely a victim of Zordon's Energy Wave). On Evox's orders, Scrozzle uses Ryjack's reanimizer powered up by diamonds on Goldar's sword, reviving Goldar as an even more powerful version of the original known as Goldar Maximus. Upon learning that Evox is the one who resurrected him, Goldar Maximus pledges his loyalty to Evox. The recently-revived Sledge mocks him, saying that he had more power in his toe than Goldar, causing Goldar Maximus to attack him. Evox then orders Goldar Maximus to destroy Sledge, which he proceeds to do, despite Sledge pleading with them.
Goldar accompanies Snide to the Dino Charge dimension and fights the Dino Charge Rangers, quickly overwhelming them and the newly arrived Beast Morphers Rangers. He easily took Koda down and stole his Energem before fighting off Ravi, Nate, Steel and Zoey. He easily overwhelmed and demorphed them and destroyed their Morphers off-screen. They then went to find Scrozzle whom was assembling a secret weapon to use against the Rangers and Goldar cut open a geode for him. Goldar and Snide later appeared alongside some Putties, Triptoids and Vivix to attack Jason, Zoey and Ravi when they tried to ambush Evox and Scrozzle from behind. He, Roxy, Snide and the army attacked but Ivan's Lightning Final Strike took out Roxy and the Z-Rex Blaster destroyed Snide with Tyler taking down Goldar. He refused to surrender but the Rangers combined the Ptera Saber, Dino Spike, Power Blaster, and Z-Rex Blaster into the Dino Power Ultra Blaster which took Goldar down once and for all.
Video game appearances
Goldar is the main villain in the Mighty Morphin' section of the game. He is first seen complaining about Rita making him do her dirty work once again. Suddenly, Lord Zedd appears in a time hole and tells him to contaminate Angel Grove's water supply, zombifying everyone there to form an army of Z-Putties. Goldar follows Zedd's demands, however the Power Rangers are hot on his tail. The "chase" ends at Angel Grove, where Goldar is ready to contaminate the water supply, however the Power Rangers stop him and he is forced to grow. He is defeated in the Megazord battle. In the game, he is voiced by Nolan North this time.
Unlike many other henchmen, Goldar was one of the few who was capable of holding his own against the entire Power Ranger team. As time went by in the series, Goldar's character became less threatening and more comical, especially in the first feature film. He was a dangerous fighter initially, being able to defeat the original team in battle single-handedly. Later, however, he began to lose his edge, with Jason handing him his first major defeat in the episode Missing Green. After this point he was apparently less powerful, losing to the Rangers more and more in combat.
Goldar has a bit of friendship with Rito, though he is often annoyed with Rito's bumbling. Overall the two share a good relationship.
Goldar is close comrades with Scorpina, on a few occasions, the two appeared to be flirting. In the script for the cancelled episode, Honey, I Shrunk the Rangers, Goldar had planned a date with Scorpina, but Rita made him cancel it in favor of going on another mission against the Rangers, much to his dismay.
Power Rangers Legacy Wars/Battle for the Grid
Goldar is among the villains who feature in Power Rangers Legacy Wars and Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid. It also features the exclusive Mega Goldar form which is heavily inspired by his appearance in the 1995 movie.
- Sword: Goldar wields a massive golden sword to aid him in combat.
Appearances: MMPR S1 Episodes 1-60, MMPR S2 Episodes 1-52, MMPR S3 Episodes 1-43, Zeo Episodes 1, 2, 10, 29, 32-43, 47, 48, 50, PRIS Episodes 1, 42, 43
Powers and abilities
- Strength: Goldar seriously shook up the Dino Megazord's cockpit with a single slash and an extremely powerful double kick was enough to knock back the Dino Megazord. Later on. In episodes such as "Eclipsing Megazord" and "Crystal of Nightmares", it was strong enough to take down the Megazord with Scorpina's help.
- Durability: Goldar withstood the first volley of rounds from the Dino Megazord in Tank Mode and blasts from all five of the Zords' eyes. Also, being struck by the energized Power Sword and Thunder Saber as well as a fireball from the White Tigerzord in Warrior Mode only made him and Scorpina fall down.
- Master Swordsman: Goldar is better than any other villain at combat with a weapon, perhaps even more than Rita but excluding Zedd. Goldar constantly failed to beat Tommy in his Green Ranger form whilst Zedd could overpower him in his more powerful White Ranger form without breaking a sweat.
- Master Hand to Hand Combatant: Goldar is not as good at hand to hand combat as he is at swordsmanship, but is still easily able to take down all five Rangers (although Tommy was almost always able to overpower him).
- Expert Zord Pilot: Goldar was able to expertly pilot both Cyclopsis and Serpentera with no assistance and overwhelm the Zords easily in both.
- Teleportation: Goldar can make himself vanish into thin air so that he can avoid attacks. Starting with Season 2, he always left in a large cloud of orange flame although he vanished in the same way as Season 1 in the episode "Goldar's Vice-Versa."
- Putty Summoning: Goldar can summon both versions of the Putty Patrol to aid him in fighting the Rangers.
- Tenga Summoning: After the Tenga Warriors replaced the Putties as the footsoldiers of Rita and Zedd, Goldar was able to freely summon them as well.
- Agility: Goldar is extremely quick and agile. Whilst fighting the Dino Megazord for the first time, he was able to quickly dodge around the Megazord and land some blows without being hit.
- Eye Lasers: Goldar can shoot fiery lasers from his eyes which were powerful enough to cause massive explosions around Jason whilst fleeing from him and King Sphinx.
- Sword: Goldar wields a massive golden sword to aid him in combat.
- Flame Blasts: Goldar can engulf his sword in flames and fling a large horizontal wave of fire at his enemies strong enough to seriously shake up the Dino Megazord in Tank Mode and knock around the Mastodon, Triceratops, and Sabertooth Tiger Dinozords with one hit.
- Fireballs: Goldar can fire blue energy from his sword that can turn into orange fireballs capable of causing massive explosions and knocking down all five Rangers with one hit (such as when they were tied up by Spidertron's webbing in the episode "Itsy Bitsy Spider")
- Cyclopsis: Goldar's personal War Zord that he has had for at least 10,000 years. It was ultimately destroyed by the Dino Ultrazord.
- Strength: Goldar is much stronger as Goldar Maximus, sending Koda flying with a single slash which demorphed him and knocked him unconscious.
- Shockwave Kick: Goldar can unleash a yellow shockwave with his kick as shown when he attacked Sledge upon his resurrection.
- Master Hand to Hand Combatant: Goldar is more skilled in hand to hand combat in his Maximus form as he was able to take on Ravi, Nate, Steel and Zoey at the same time without breaking a sweat.
- Broadsword: In his Maximus form, Goldar wields a golden broadsword despite being revived from his original sword.
- Lightning Blasts: Goldar can engulf his sword in blue lightning for similar attacks or simply firing a lightning bolt. This was enough to destroy Sledge with one hit.
- Energy Empowerment: Goldar can charge up his broadsword with blue energy to strike at full force which was strong enough to slice open a geode for Scrozzle.
- Energy Slash: Goldar Maximus can fire a blue energy slash from his broadsword strong enough to demorph Zoey, Nate, Steel and Ravi with one hit.
Behind the Scenes
- Goldar never spoke in the original pilot, only communicating in grunts and growls although this was changed in the series proper.
- It was rumored that, early on in the series, Goldar was voiced both by Robert Axelrod and Kerrigan Mahan and after the episode Rita's Seed of Evil, only Mahan provided his voice. However, Mahan confirmed that this was false (see Notes for more information).
- The suit actors who played Goldar in the Sentai footage were Takashi Sakamoto for non-action scenes and Kazutoshi Yokoyama for battle sequences. In original footage, the actor was Danny Wayne Stallcup for the first two seasons, while during season three, he was portrayed by David Wald and several other actors.
- The tone of Goldar's voice varies considerably throughout the first season of the series. This initially fueled speculation that Kerrigan Mahan had not been the original voice of the character. In truth, Mahan had voiced the character with a gravelly, higher-pitched tone in the earliest episodes, however the resulting vocal strain forced him to experiment with other versions of the voice until he eventually settled on Goldar's iconic, low guttural inflection. Sound bites of Mahan's earlier performance were still used in later episodes, particularly in scenes where Goldar would fight or grow to giant size which usually consisted of growls.
- In his revival in Beast Morphers, Goldar was voiced by Paul Harrop in Making Bad, who portrayed him with a voice similar to that of Fury. Adrian Smith took the role in Grid Connection, and portrayed him with a voice not too dissimilar to Redker, a role from several years before.
Change in appearance
From the first episode, Day of the Dumpster, to Lions & Blizzards, the Goldar costume looked like Grifforzer, his Zyuranger counterpart. This caused his snout to rise whenever he was talking. Starting with "Crystal of Nightmares", the head was modified so that the jaw (or just the bottom teeth) would move down. This new costume was used for all footage filmed in the U.S. onward, but the rising snout Goldar would appear in recycled footage in the second season.
In addition to the changes in his facial appearance, the revised costume notably has a pair of extended wings. Although Goldar is shown with the ability to fly in early episodes, the wings on the original costume are folded behind him and later disappear for reasons not explained within the season. In "The Mutiny, Part I" when Goldar immediately defects from Rita upon Lord Zedd's arrival, the evil emperor states, "Your spineless, sniveling attitude leads me to believe you will serve me well. For that, I shall restore to you what was once taken away." Zedd then uses his staff to re-grant Goldar his wings. Although he was seen with his wings when in Rita's palace, they disappeared whenever he grew and would continue to appear and disappear throughout the season with no explanation.
- Goldar is often referenced, as a monkey, or flying monkey, however, possibly to draw parallel between Rita and The Wicked Witch of the West.
- Goldar is the only villain to not say anything during the initial dumpster scene. Even Squatt and Baboo managed to say something.
- Goldar serves as the main antagonist of the episodes Return of an Old Friend and A Pressing Engagement as well as the secondary antagonist of the five part episode Green With Evil (with Tommy being the main villain), Calamity Kimberly (with the Samurai Fan Man being the main villain).
- Goldar shares his name with the Western localization name of Magma, the protagonist of tokusatsu show Ambassador Magma, adapted from Osamu Tezuka's eponymous manga and known as The Space Giants in the USA.
- While he and Scorpina aren't married like their Sentai counterparts, the script for for the cancelled episode Season 2 episode "Zordon, I Shrunk The Rangers" which was canned due to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers; The Movie's production hell. Had it been made, it would have shown him and Scorpina were planning to go on a date on their day off.
- Goldar's birthplace was given as Titan, Saturn's largest moon.
- Goldar had occasionally shown the ability to grow to giant size at will and he is actually the first villain shown to grow by himself in the episode A Star is Born (the shot of him growing occurring before Babe Ruthless or Scorpina).
- Goldar has individually fought Jason (starting with the second part of the five part episode "Green With Evil" Trini (in the episode "For Whom The Bell Trolls), Zack (in the episode "Itsy Bitsy Spider") and Tommy (starting with the 2nd part of the two part episode "Return of an Old Friend" albeit only using the Dragonzord and in the second season episode "Forever Friends" in one on one combat).
- Trini was the first Ranger to fight him alone,while Jason was the first to combat him unmorphed.
- Goldar was usually used throughout the first season to deliver exposition (due to his costume being immediately available for original footage), in contrast to his Zyuranger counterpart Grifforzer who was unable to speak for the first twenty-one episodes of the series.
- Goldar received a minor appearance change from Crystal of Nightmares onwards as his mouth, which previously was simply a snout that moved up and down (like his counterpart) became much more responsive with his teeth far more visible than before.
- In the comic Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016 Annual, it is revealed that Goldar had a brother named Silverback who also worked for Lord Zedd.
- Goldar is a playable character in Power Rangers: Legacy Wars.
- Goldar is a major antagonist and playable character in Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid.
- Grifforzer - Super Sentai counterpart in Zyuranger. See comparison page. (main counterpart)
- Major Zydos - Super Sentai counterpart in Dairanger. See comparison page. (Season 2 counterpart)
- Neo-Grifforzer - Super Sentai counterpart in Kyoryuger. See comparison page.
|Power Rangers Beast Morphers|
|Devon Daniels - Ravi Shaw - Zoey Reeves - Nate Silva - Steel|
|Beast-X Morpher - Striker Morpher - Beast-X Visor - Morph-X Keys - Beast-X Blaster - Beast-X Saber - Striker Saber - Cheetah Beast Blaster - Cheetah Claws - Beast-X Ultra Blaster - Beast-X King Activator - Beast-X King Ultra Bow - Beast-X Spin Saber|
|Grid Battleforce: Commander Shaw - General Burke - Betty Burke - Ben Burke - Blaze - Roxy - Megan - Cole|
|Civilians: Mayor Adam Daniels - Muriel Reeves - Joey - Regina Collins - Dr. Walsh - Kerry Dixon - Mike Reeves|
|Captain Chaku - Dino Charge Rangers - Legendary Dino Rangers - Doctor K - Colonel Mason Truman - Keeper|
|Zords & Megazords|
|Racer Zord - Wheeler Zord - Chopper Zord - Wrecker Zord - Jet Zord - Beast-X King Zord|
|Racer Zord Battle Mode - Beast-X Megazord - Wrecker Zord Battle Mode - Striker Megazord - Beast-X Ultrazord - Beast-X King Zord Battle Mode - Beast-X King Megazord - Beast-X King Ultrazord|
|Generals: Scrozzle - Blaze - Roxy - Vargoyle|
|Foot Soldiers: Tronics - Gigatronics|
|Zords: Blaze's Megazord - Chimera Zord - Omegadrone|
|Season One: Cycletron - Needletron - Shoveltron - Slicertron - Meltatron - Railtron - Vacuutron - Antennatron - Drilltron - Tooltron - Clonetron - Tubatron - Tubatron 2.0 - Burnertron - Turbotron - Shockatron - Spiketron - Infernotron|
|Season Two: Drilltron 2.0 - Trappertron - Gamertron - Keytron - Digitron - Controlatron - Dumbbelltron - Boxertron - Tiaratron - Bulldozertron - Thieftron - Clawtron - Antennatron 2.0 - Railtron 2.0|
|Season One: Cycledrone - Needledrone - Shoveldrone - Slicerdrone - Meltadrone - Raildrone - Vacuudrone - Antennadrone - Drilldrone - Tooldrone - Delta Gigadrone 1 - Clonedrone - Tubadrone - Tubadrone 2.0 - Burnerdrone - Turbodrone - Shockadrone - Unidentified Gigadrone 1 - Unidentified Gigadrone 2 - Spikedrone - Delta Gigadrone 2 - Infernodrone|
|Season Two: Drilldrone 2.0 - Trapperdrone - Gamerdrone - Keydrone - Digidrone - Controladrone - Alphadrone - Betadrone - Gammadrone - Deltadrone - Tiaradrone - Bulldozerdrone - Unidentified Gigadrone 3 - Unidentified Gigadrone 4 - Thiefdrone - Clawdrone - Antennadrone 2.0|
|Sledge - Snide - Poisandra - Wrench - Fury - Curio - Vivix|
|Ryjack - Goldar - Putty Patrollers - Triptoids|
|View • Edit|