|This article is about a/an Kaiju in the Power Rangers comic sub-franchise by Boom! Studios.|
Godzilla is the colossal king of the Kaiju, often serving as the anti-heroic protagonist of the Godzilla franchise. He appears a neutral antagonist turned ally in Godzilla vs. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
Godzilla's origins are not always specifically explored and where he came from is unknown but he has always been a type of prehistoric creature that was awakened by nuclear testing in the 1950s. He spends most of his time in hibernation, awakening to fight Kaiju challenging him for ruler-ship of the Kaiju (most commonly King Ghidorah).
Godzilla vs MMPR
After multiple defeats by the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Rita Repulsa sends herself and the Evil Space Aliens to the Earth where Godzilla resides. They arrive in that universe's Angel Grove during a fight between Godzilla and Megalon and Rita admires their sheer power and potential for destruction even as Godzilla defeats his opponent. As he goes back to sleep though, Tommy Oliver wakes up and thinks Godzilla is attacking his Angel Grove so summons the Dragonzord. In the Planet X starship above, Rita tries to take control but the Kaiju fights off the control and thoroughly defeats it with any attempts to harm Godzilla just making him angrier. As he hits it with his Atomic Breath and rips it in two, the other Power Rangers arrive and summon the Dinozords.
As the Dinozords face down Godzilla, Billy realizes that he is much stronger than any of Rita's monsters before they form the Megazord. Despite initially gaining the upper hand, Godzilla is crippled when they impale him through the heart with the Power Sword, though another hit from his Atomic Breath cripples them as well. The Xiliens then attempt to attack whilst they're weak so Godzilla dives below the surface to re-enter hibernation.
During the attack by Rhinoblaster, and Eye Guy as well as Gigan, Godzilla re-emerges only to start attacking even the Power Rangers since they all threaten the Earth. Even with his considerable strength though, Godzilla is no match for all three creatures in his weakened state until they use the Power Sword to re-power and heal Godzilla. In doing so, Godzilla realizes that the Power Rangers are trying to help him and they double team the creatures with Godzilla managing to completely obliterate Eye Guy with his Atomic Breath which causes Gigan to flee. As they relax and repair after the fight though, they are attacked by a giant sized Scorpina accompanied by Kamakuras, Kumonga and Batra.
In keeping with his main franchise, Godzilla is a creature incapable of true speech aside from roars and cares only about protecting the Earth from his fellow Kaiju. Due to the massive fallout from most of his fights, this is often misinterpreted as evil although he is not truly malicious and instead just doesn't care what gets in his way.
Powers and Abilities
- "Energy readings are off the charts! Unlike any I've ever seen! This monster is more powerful than anything we've faced before!"
- ―Billy regarding Godzilla's power.[src]
- Power Level: Godzilla is the most powerful Kaiju and an incredibly powerful creature, being stronger than Gigan, Eye Guy, the Rhinoblaster or the Megazord. Only King Ghidorah and MechaGodzilla are strong enough to fight and defeat him.
- Strength: Godzilla is immensely strong, able to defeat Megalon with a slash across the face as well as hold the Dragonzord over his head and rip it in half.
- Durability: Godzilla's scaly hide grants him incredible durability, leaving him unfazed by Megalon's fire breath and even slashes from the Dragonzord as well as a direct hit from an entire volley of missiles had no effect.
- Underwater Breathing: Godzilla can breathe underwater.
- Radiation Emission: Due to being powered by a heart similar to a nuclear reactor, Godzilla constantly emits intense amounts of heat strong enough to melt through the Dinozords' shields.
- Atomic Breath: Godzilla's signature attack consists of a giant stream of neon blue radiation fired from his mouth. It is powerful enough to kill even some of the strongest Kaijus with a single shot, completely defeating King Ghidorah with one sustained blast and crippling the Dragonzord. During its battle against the monsters, it sent Mecha Gigan flying with one hit.
- Energy Absorption: Godzilla can absorb electricity into his body to grow back to full strength as seen when the Power Sword energized him.
- Advanced Healing Factor: Godzilla is able to heal his body from any injuries after either spending time idly or absorbing energy into his body.
- Mental Resistance: Godzilla was initially completely immune to Rita's mind control and defeated her influence almost immediately.
- Adapt Swimmer: Godzilla can both swim and move freely underwater.
to be added
- Claws: Being a Kaiju, Godzilla has giant serrated claws to slash his enemies with.
- Tail: Godzilla has a giant tail which it can lash its enemies with. One swing was strong enough to take down the Megazord with a single hit.
Behind the Scenes
- Godzilla's appearance in the Boom! continuity was part of a five-part crossover with IDW's Godzilla comic series.
- Like the IDW Comics, the Boom! crossover featured Godzilla with his appearance consistent with all films since Godzilla 2014.
- This is not the first time Godzilla joined forces with Super Sentai/Power Rangers. In 1996, Godzilla, three Ultramen, and three Kamen Riders, teamed up with Gekisou Sentai Carranger in a stage show.
- Godzilla on Wikizilla