|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|"Oh what a trip. Now I’ve just got this thing to work right. I’ll just warm it up a bit. HE HE!"|
|―The Gnarly Gnome's first words after having jumped down from the Moon to Earth.[src]|
|―The Gnarly Gnome reacting to the Power Blaster and his final words before his initial defeat.[src]|
Gnarly Gnome was a musical gnome monster who was the main antagonist of the episode "Different Drum".
Gnarly Gnome is created by Finster who first mentions him as the monster Rita wants to brainwash the Power Rangers. When Finster creates him, Rita sends him to Earth where the viewers first see him jumping into the Angel Grove Youth Center area where he quickly brainwashes a group of girls that happens to be the friends of Kimberly's deaf friend Melissa. He holds them as hostages in a cave and makes them dance uncontrollably with his music. He takes them hostage alongside Squatt and Baboo who cooks him a meal and they all fall asleep but Rita soon awakens them. Melissa leads Kimberly and the others to the cave and Kimberly has Melissa take cover, thereby preventing her from seeing her and her friends morph into the Rangers. When the Rangers arrive, Squatt and Baboo leave Gnarly Gnome alone to fight the Rangers and he is confident in their defeat. Teleporting outside of the cave, Gnarly Gnome blasts them but they dodge and the Power Axe and Power Lance disarm him before the Power Daggers and an arrow from the Power Bow cripple him and Jason cuts him down completely with the Power Sword. With Gnarly Gnome down, they form the Power Blaster and destroy Gnarly Gnome who is blown onto his back and explodes into pebbles.
However, Rita makes him grow so the Rangers summon the Dinozords, forming Tank Mode which blasts Gnarly Gnome but he is unfazed and fires back so they form Battle Mode. Gnarly Gnome tries to clobber it but they take his rake and backhand him with his own weapon before punching in down. Mostly unfazed, Gnarly Gnome then uses his accordion to confuse the Megazord and cause the Rangers to see illusions of a city in the empty battlefield and to hallucinate Gnarly Gnome as a city building and then a rolling boulder. Although he lands one successful blow, the Megazord knocks the accordion away, putting a stop to the gnome's music and they summon the Power Sword. Gnarly Gnome tries to use his lighting beams against the Rangers, but they block the blasts with the Power Sword and destroy him with an energized slash. As he screams, Gnarly Gnome is bowled onto his back and explodes as energy balls erupt from his explosion.
Gnarly Gnome acted very much like a Viking or a king and was a sinister and cold monster who loves to mock his enemies. Despite this, he was shown to be more laid back compared to the majority monsters and kind of lazy as he slept a lot and told Squatt and Baboo to tie his shoes.
Powers and Abilities
- Invisibility: Gnarly Gnome could turn himself invisible at will though he never did anything with this.
- Teleportation: Gnarly Gnome could teleport to any location at will by fading out of existence in one location and appearing in another.
- Lighting Beam: Gnarly Gnome could shoot yellow colored lighting beams from the horns on the sides of his helmet.
- Gnome Rake: Gnarly Gnome wielded a rake as his primary weapon in combat.
- Sparking Energy Stream: Gnarly Gnome could fire light pinkish green colored energy stream with white stars around it.
- Gnome Accordion: Gnarly Gnome possessed an accordion that, when played, could hypnotize his enemies with music.
- Illusions: Gnarly Gnome's accordion could make illusions with the music to confuse his enemies.
Behind the Scenes
- Gnarly Gnome was voiced by Steve Kramer in his first Power Rangers role, having previously written the episode "High Five."
- Gnarly Gnome was the first monster to appear in footage exclusively filmed for Power Rangers. These were the scenes of him skulking about outside of the Youth Center and brainwashing the girls.
- This monster is now infamous for his magically appearing and disappearing rake which happened due to recycling the Power Weapon attacks three times over to pad out the episode.
- Gnarly Gnome's name was actually ironic as he did not look anything like a gnome. In reality, gnomes are a collection of small statue dwarfs with beards and tall pointy hats that are seen in gardens of peoples' houses, Gnarly Gnome looked more like goblin or a Viking.
- This is because his counterpart was actually based upon a goblin.
- Due to how Gnarly Gnome loved to eat and sleep, and can be a bit lazy, his overall personality is quite similar to Garfield the Cat the character from the comic book series Garfield.
- Gnarly Gnome's necklace was later used as a component for Plague Patrol #2 alongside a horned helmet-engraved head, a generic body, the silver-painted boots and armor parts of Master Kaku's final armored form (unused in MMPR Season 2), and the right arm of Kamaitachi's enlarged form (unused in MMPR Season 3).