|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
The Gnarly Gnome is (as his name implies) a musical gnome monster who was the main antagonist of the episode "Different Drum".
The Gnarly Gnome was created by Finster who first mentioned him as the monster Rita wanted to brainwash the Power Rangers. When Finster created him, Rita sent him to Earth where the viewers first saw him jumping into the Youth Center area where he quickly brainwashed a group of girls that happened to be the friends of Kimberly's deaf friend Melissa. He held them as hostages in a cave and made them dance uncontrollably with his music. He took them hostage alongside Squatt and Baboo who cooked him a meal and they all fell asleep but Rita soon awoke them. Melissa led Kimberly and the others to the cave, and Kimberly had Melissa take cover, thereby preventing her from seeing her and her friends morph into the Rangers.
When the Rangers came, Squatt and Baboo left him alone to fight the Rangers. He tried to fight them, but they beat him with their Power Weapons, Jason cleaving him down with his Power Sword as the final blow and they destroy him with the Power Blaster. However, Rita made him grow so the Rangers summoned the Dinozords. During the Megazord battle, Gnarly Gnome first used his rake, but the Megazord soon took it away and used it against him. Gnarly Gnome then used his accordion to confuse the Megazord and cause the Rangers to see illusions of a city in the empty battlefield, and to hallucinate Gnarly Gnome as a city building, and then a rolling boulder. The Megazord knocked the accordion away, putting a stop to the gnome's music and they summoned the Power Sword. The Gnarly Gnome tried to use his lighting beams against the Rangers, but they blocked the blasts with the Power Sword and destroyed him with an energized slash.
The Gnarly Gnome acts very much like a viking or a king and was a sinister and cold monster who loves to mock his enemies, tho despite this, he was shown to be more laid back compared to the majority monsters and kind of lazy, such as almost sleeping during his mission and telling Squatt and Baboo to tie his shoes. He was also shown to always be hungry and loves to eat.
Powers And Abilities
- Invisibility: Gnarly Gnome can turn himself invisible to sneak up on his enemies.
- Teleportation: Gnarly Gnome can teleport to any location at will.
- Lighting Beam: Gnarly Gnome can shoot yellow colored lighting beams from the horns on the sides of his helmet.
- Gnome Rake: Gnarly Gnome wields a rake as his primary weapon in combat.
- Sparking Energy Stream: Gnarly Gnome can fire light pinkish green colored energy stream with white stars around it.
- Gnome Accordion: Gnarly Gnome posses an accordion, that when played, can hypnotise his enemies with music.
- Illusions: The accordion can make illusions with the music, it can be used to confuse his enemies.
Behind The Scenes
- The Gnarly Gnome is voiced by Steve Kramer in his first Power Rangers role, having previously written the episode "High Five."
- The Gnarly Gnome is the first monster to appear in footage exclusively filmed for Power Rangers . These were the scenes of him skulking about outside of the Youth Centre and brainwashing the girls.
- The Gnarly Gnome is the first monster to be destroyed whilst small before growing to die at the hands of a Megazord.
- This monster is infamous for his magically appearing and disappearing rake.
- The Gnarly Gnome is unusual among Rita's monsters as he was destroyed by the Power Blaster then revived by Rita's wand, as opposed to being enlarged without being destroyed.
- The Gnarly Gnome's name is actually ironic, as he does not look anything like a gnome, in reality, gnomes are a collection of small statue dwarfs with beards and tall pointy hats that are seen in gardens of peoples's houses, Gnarly Gnome looks more like goblin or a viking.
- His counterpart was actually based upon a goblin.
- Due to how Gnarly Gnome loves to eat and sleep, and can be a bit lazy, his overall personality is quite similar to Garfield the Cat, the character from the comic book series Garfield.
- The Gnarly Gnome was also the second boss in the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Super Nintendo game.
- The Gnarly Gnome's necklace was later used as a component for Plague Patrol #2 alongside a horned helmet-engraved head, a generic body, the silver-painted boots and armor parts of Master Kaku's final armored form (unused in MMPR Season Two), and the right arm of Kamaitachi's enlarged form (unused in MMPR Season Three).