|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "I'm hungry! I'm hungry! Hungry!"
- ―The Fighting Flea's first words upon her creation.[src]
- "That's not fair! You cheated!"
- ―The Fishing Flea after she learned Jason was no longer affected by his rash.[src]
- "Ha ha ha! What do you think Rangers?! You're just bitesize!"
- ―The Fighting Flea upon being enlarged.[src]
The Fighting Flea (often shortened to just "The Flea") was a flea monster who served as the main antagonist of the episode "To Flea or Not to Flee".
The Fighting Flea was created by Finster after Rita decided to take Jason out of the fight by crippling him with an inch. Rita then shrunk her and placed on a dog found by Jason. Due to their proximity, the Flea was able to jump onto Jason and spread an itchy rash on him, by biting him. The Putties appeared and they discovered that rash is contagious and for them is spreading by biting. With the help of Kimberly, Jason neutralized the squad of Putties in this way, making them itch and they ran away. Later on, the entire Power Ranger team was out looking for the dog but were unaware Bulk and Skull had been the ones to steal the dog. The Fighting Flea then appeared out of the animal and scared the duo away before heading away to confront Jason and Kimberly.
A short time later, Jason and Kimberly encountered the flea herself in the junkyard and were forced to morph in self-defence. The cure, which Alpha gave Jason, stopped acting when they were hit by a blast from the Flea and he started itching even more than before. However, the other Rangers appeared and blasted the monster back. Zack and Trini then kept the Flea occupied whilst Billy gave Jason the final antidote. The monster then summoned the Putties but they were defeated so she blasted the Rangers. However, it was completely ineffective and Jason cut down the monster with his Power Sword.
However, before the Rangers could finish her with the Power Blaster, Rita enlarged her so they summoned the Dinozords. They formed Tank Mode and withstood energy blasts from the Flea before blasting her down and forming Battle Mode. They were initially evenly matched and managed to knock down the Flea but the monster gained the upper hand by blasting them again and by jumping around and smacking the Megazord. However, she made the foolish decision to charge at them which allowed Jason to summon the Power Sword and slay the flea despite her asking if they could compromise.
Trumpet Top later summoned an illusionary Fighting Flea amongst other monsters as part of a plot to wear down the Rangers until Zordon saw through the plan.
After the arrival of Rito Revolto and the Tenga Warriors, he reveals that he has a plan to kill the Rangers but requires help. To this end, Rita has Finster recreates the Fighting Flea, Lizzinator, Octophantom, and Stag Beetle into helping Rito ambush the Power Rangers when they bring out their respectful Megazords. When preparing for the trap, Rito told the four monsters that they were taking the best hiding places where Fighting Flea reminds Rito that he's the bait in Lord Zedd's plan. Eventually, after Rito took a pounding, Rita and Zedd enlarged the four monsters and the army of monsters gained the upper hand, enabling Rito to successfully destroy the White Tigerzord and Thunder Megazord. Her fate from them on is unknown but she was presumably either destroyed for outliving her usefulness or allowed to leave and live her own life.
The Ferocious Fighting Flea was later present for Master Vile's End of The World party where she chatted with the Lizzinator. This supports the idea that she was let go after the end of the Thunderzords, mainly because recreating her seems like wasted effort on Finster's part. It is unknown what happened to her after the party ended but she presumably went to live somewhere in the universe as she was not shown being destroyed.
The Fighting Flea was a cunning, spiteful, nasty and annoying monster. She was cunning with her itchy spreading infection rash with her bite Jason but she was also arrogant. This arrogance led her to her demise since, instead of unleashing more energy blasts on the Megazord which had been working beforehand, she charged at it out of sheer and was defeated by the Power Rangers.
Powers and abilities
- Strength: The Flea sent Kimberly flying backwards through the air with one punch and blocked her Blade Blaster with her bare left hand.
- Durability-The Flea was blasted by Billy, Zack, and Trini's Blade Blasters all at once but didn't get a scratch on him.
- Putty Summoning: The Flea can summon Putty Patrollers to aid her in battle.
- Flea Bite: The Ferocious Fighting Flea's signature ability where she can spread an itchy rash infection with her bite. This is represented by glowing red energy around the affected area.
- Contagious: Contact will cause anyone who touches the Flea's bites to also become infected. Whether the victim is organic like a human or not (like a Putty) has no effect on whether or not it infects them.
- Needles Shooting: The Flea is also able to fire needles from her mouth.
- Energy Firing: The Flea's strongest attack where she fires fire orange energy beams from her antenna. These took down Jason and Kimberly with one hit and reactivated his itch. When giant, they caused massive explosions around the Megazord in Tank Mode and later blasted it back.
- Size Changing: The Fighting Flea can change her size from her human size to the size of a flea and vice versa at will in a red swirl of energy.
- Multi Attack: The Flea can jump around and smack the Megazord with her fists multiple times without it having time to react.
- Fists: Although she lacks any weapons, the Flea has enough strength that her fists can knock back her enemies.
Behind The Scenes
- The first time she appeared, the Fighting Flea was voiced by Rebecca Forstadt in her only Power Rangers role and, the third time she appeared, was voiced by Barbara Goodson.
- The Flea was completely silent during the illusion battle.
- The Fighting Flea comes from what is commonly referred to as "Zyu2" footage, and was not seen in the original Zyuranger.
- There is still some debate over the monster's gender. The voice itself is feminine and they were always voiced by a woman but it could just be a very high pitched male voice and the Rangers refereed to him as such.
- The Fighting Flea is the first monster since the Cyclops to be created on-screen. All other monsters were only first seen sometime after being created.
- Her fate after Zordon's Energy Wave is unclear as she did not attend Dark Specter's invasion of the universe but she was presumably turned to dust unless she became good in the intervening three years. If so, she may have been spared or even purified.
- In "Fire In Your Tank," a re-colored version of Fighting Flea is among the monsters that appear in Divatox's boot camp. It was nicknamed "Fleeing Flea" by the fans.