|This article is about a/an monster in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|"You ate my gooney bird eggs! You know how hard it is to find these?! You can't just walk into a store and buy these, you know! I was going to have these eggs for lunch!"|
|―Fang reacting to Goldar, Squatt, and Baboo eating his eggs.[src]|
Fang was a gooney bird egg-obsessed fish monster who serves as the main antagonist of the episode "The Yolk's on You!".
Fang was created by Finster on Rita's's birthday that he would use to destroy the Rangers as the perfect gift. Fang was completely obsessed with a strange type of blue eggs Rita then sent him into Angel Grove Forest with Goldar, Squatt and Baboo. Fang found some rare gooney bird eggs there which his fellow minions then ate. Fang found that they had been eaten, causing the gluttonous monster to attack the others. He was convinced by Goldar that the Power Rangers had stolen his previous batch of eggs. Goldar convinced him that the Power Rangers had eaten them which sent him into a seething rage and later attacked them in the quarry. The Rangers tried to fight back but their Blade Blasters were useless and Fang easily threw them around. He then retreated to a cliff side to cry over his meal when Rita appeared. She promised Fang an endless supply of gooney bird eggs, as well as the two previously eaten ones that Rita repaired with her magic but only if he can defeat the Rangers first.
Fang complied with this ultimatum and was grown into a giant which gave him gauntlet blades and extended his horns. The Rangers summoned the Megazord but Fang was more than a match. They then tried to reason with Fang by explaining to him that they are unaware of any eggs and that they have taken nothing from him, but Fang refused to listen and ultimately took them down. Rita then told him to destroy a dam but Tommy (who had been captured by the Putties earlier) morphed after defeating them and played his Dragon Dagger, The Dragonzord's intervention prevented him from flooding Angel Grove although the monster still proved more than a match so they formed the Dragonzord in Battle Mode with the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord running support. The monster easily fought off the Power Staff and despite the Tyrannosaurus knocking him down, he knocked them back with his horn blasts. With no alternatives remaining, the Rangers are forced to disengage the Dragonzord Battle Mode and form the Ultrazord. Fang charged at it fearlessly but was destroyed in a massive laser barrage.
Fang was a very gluttonous monster and very apathetic and short-tempered when it comes to the very rare gooey-bird eggs, as Goldar, Squatt and Baboo found out when they ate the gooey-bird eggs he was saving for lunch, causing him to lose his capacity for reason and making it easier for the other villains to manipulate him. The monster is also clearly also very gullible in order to believe this. He is also clearly fearless, or more likely just extremely dense, since he charged at Goldar, Squatt and Baboo in anger despite Goldar wielding a massive sword and charging at the Ultrazord and its massive cannons.
Powers and Abilities
- Body Enhancement: When giant, Fang was able to extend his gauntlet claws and his horns which made him more powerful.
- Energy Blasts: Fang could unleash blue energy from the horns on the back of his head when giant.
- Strength: Fang was an immensely powerful monster, knocking Jason down with a single punch as well as throw boulders like they are nothing. When giant, he was able to catch the Dragonzord Battle Mode's Power Staff between his hands and throw it away.
- Durability: Fang shrugged off a stab to the chest from Jason's Blade Blaster in sword mode and when giant, he was slashed down by the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord but immediately recovered.
to be added
- Claws: Fang had razor sharp claws that could cleave down the Rangers with single hits.
- Gauntlet Blades: Fang had a gauntlet on either wrist that has extendable harpoon tip-like blades for extra effectiveness in combat. These were only used when he was giant because the blades were sheathed before Rita made him grow.
- Boulders: When fighting the Rangers in the quarry, Fang picked up and threw small boulders to knock down the Rangers.
Behind the Scenes
- Fang was voiced by Michael Sorich who gave him a Peter Lorre-like voice.
to be added
to be added
- In Zyuranger, Fang is not one of Rita's creations. It is actually a subterranean gentle creature awakened by an earthquake. The reason that the viewers can see Fang crying over his lunch is because Bookback/Squatt ate her children and she was mourning them since she was the last of her species. Luckily, there were still three eggs left that would eventually hatch and allow her species to continue.
- Due to this being implied genocide, this was changed to him just wanting lunch.
- Fang's counterpart was female but Saban flipped his gender, presumably to try and hide the fact that these could be his actual eggs.
- The reason for this is probably due to kids likely being able to piece together the eggs belonging to a female that they were originally her children like in Zyuranger. This gender switch is to try and disguise the change in character motivation.
- In the original Sentai episode, Fang was originally destroyed by the Dragonzord Battle Mode, not the Ultrazord. This was most likely changed because the censors realized that this kid's show was having the monsters being stabbed hard enough to leave gaping holes in their stomachs.
- However, the change can still be seen in the final episode since an energy tornado is around him when he explodes (it is the same one often seen with the Dragonzord Battle Mode finisher).
- The tone of Fang's destruction was completely different than how it was in Zyuranger. In Zyuranger, the victory was very bittersweet since they killed Monster Goda who was supposedly the last of her species since she had gone too far off the deep-end and they had to slay her to save the world. In Power Rangers, it is triumphant and played for laughs to the point of Jason insulting him post-destruction ("Guess we took care of you, frogface.")
to be added