|This article is about a/an episode in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger.|
The Confused Ninja (慌てん坊忍者 Awatenbō Ninja) is the forty-fifth episode of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. It is also the first part of a two-part tribute to Ninja Sentai Kakuranger, which concludes with Hero Eligibility, as well as a clip show of all of the previous events of the series.
With the Gokaigers holding 29 of the 35 greater powers, and Basco with 5, the Gokai Galleon crew discovers that the only one left is that of the Ninja Sentai Kakuranger. Remembering Negakure Temple, the crew finds a strange pot containing the Kakurangers' ally Ninjaman who tests them to see if they are worthy of the Kakurangers' greater power.
The Gokaigers recap all of the Greater Powers they and Basco ta Jolokia have gathered, leaving only the Kakurangers'. Navi's prophecy implies that ninjas that can't be found won't be found. They recall the shrine that Domon had told them to protect, Megakure Shrine, and Joe deduces that it could be where the Kakuranger powers are. Once there, they discover that Ninjaman had been stuck for ten years in a jar, having been put there by his masters as a punishment for his over-zealousness of defending a little girl (taking out an entire city block in the process). Gai informs him that his curse wasn't broken as the Kakurangers lost their powers in the Great Legend War.
While Captain Marvelous is ready to interrogate him about the powers, Ahim, Gai and Don insist they go about it without rubbing him the wrong way, by winning his approval first. Thus, the Gokaigers attempt to treat Ninjaman to snacks and a show (which ends horribly when Marvelous and Navi's act propels the robotic parrot into the food the crew prepared for Ninjaman, much to Joe's dismay), and later start telling him about the Ranger Keys, their Gokai Changes, their quest for the Greater Powers, and the battle against Zangyack, as well as the danger that Basco poses, having the ability to simply steal the powers.
Ninjaman, while empathetic to their plight, declines to simply hand over the Kakuranger's Greater Power; because his easygoing demeanor has put him in trouble more than once in the past, he has decided not to trust people so easily, so he decides he will live aboard the Gokai Galleon to observe if they are ready to have it. While Gai is ecstatic at the thought of being taken under the wing of a legend, the rest of the Gokaigers feel impatient. Marvelous curses the fact that the final wielder of a Greater Power is going to be the most difficult to deal with.
Somewhere else in the city, Tsuruhime watches the Gokai Galleon sail across the air. She is impressed at how they found the hidden Ninjaman. She decides that while she had intended to meet the Gokaigers and have them continue to defend the planet, since they've released Ninjaman then it is up to him whether they deserve the Kakuranger powers. With that, she swooshes away into the night.
- Captain Marvelous (キャプテン・マーベラス Kyaputen Māberasu): Ryota Ozawa (小澤 亮太 Ozawa Ryōta)
- Joe Gibken (ジョー・ギブケン Jō Gibuken): Yuki Yamada (山田 裕貴 Yamada Yūki)
- Luka Millfy (ルカ・ミルフィ Ruka Mirufi): Mao Ichimichi (市道 真央 Ichimichi Mao)
- Don Dogoier (ドン･ドッゴイヤー Don Doggoiyā): Kazuki Shimizu (清水 一希 Shimizu Kazuki)
- Ahim de Famille (アイム・ド・ファミーユ Aimu do Famīyu): Yui Koike (小池 唯 Koike Yui)
- Gai Ikari (伊狩 鎧 Ikari Gai): Junya Ikeda (池田 純矢 Ikeda Jun'ya)
- Navi (ナビィ Nabyi, Voice): Yukari Tamura (田村 ゆかり Tamura Yukari)
- Tsuruhime (鶴姫 Tsuruhime): Satomi Hirose (広瀬 仁美 Hirose Satomi)
- Ninjaman (ニンジャマン Ninjaman, Voice): Kazuki Yao (矢尾 一樹 Yao Kazuki)
- Gokai Changes in The Confused Ninja:
- Gokai Red - TyrannoRanger (deleted scene), Gosei Blue, GaoRed
- Gokai Blue - TriceraRanger (deleted scene), Shinken Blue, Go-On Blue
- Gokai Yellow - TigerRanger (deleted scene), Blue Dolphin, Yellow Lion
- Gokai Green - MammothRanger (deleted scene), TimeBlue, ShishiRanger
- Gokai Pink - PteraRanger (deleted scene), MagiBlue, GingaRed
- Gokai Silver - DragonRanger (deleted scene), Aorenger, Gosei Knight
- This is the last episode before the finale in which all six Gokaigers transform into past Rangers.
Elements/Homages to Kakuranger
- The title of this episode is similar to the Kakuranger episode 36, "The Hooligan Ninja!!", the original episode that introduced Ninjaman. The title also echoes Kakuranger episode 45, "The Confused Santa" (慌てん坊サンタ, Awatenbou Santa).
- After Ninjaman is freed, he explained the backstory of his imprisonment in the same way The Announcer talks to the audience during the earlier half of the season; sitting in traditional Japanese style and using various drawn cards to explain information.
- During Navi's Treasure Navigation, she states "Doro Doro Dororon", lines from the ending theme of Kakuranger, "Ninja Skyscraper Kids".
- During the recap, a Legend Shift is seen during the footage of Satoru Akashi (Bouken Red) despite the fact that the shift did not occur in Ep. 21: The Adventurer Heart.
- The Gokaiger change into Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger as seen in the TV Asahi website.
- As part of Super Hero Time, this episode aired alongside Kamen Rider Fourze episode 17, Meteor Appearance.
- Viewership: 4.1%
- Total Greater Powers Collected:
- Gokaigers: 29
- Basco: 5
- A trailer for the next Sentai, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, was shown at the end of this episode's initial broadcast.
- During the recap explanation of all of their encountered legends, Shirou Akebono is mentioned; however, in the previous episode the Gokaigers never knew they encountered him and that he was the source of the Battle Fever J Greater Power, thinking it was only a present from Santa Claus.
- When Ninjaman correctly answers the motif of the lion Gokai Change, Joe as Go-On Blue says "Just Correct" (ズバリ正解 Zubari Seikai), the catchphrase of Go-On Blue, Renn Kousaka.
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger Volume 11 features episodes 42-46: Ep. 42: The Strongest Man in the Universe, Ep. 43: To the Legendary Hero, Ep. 44: A Lovely Christmas Eve, Ep. 45: The Confused Ninja, and Ep. 46: Hero Eligibility. It was released on May 21, 2012.