|This article is about a/an episode in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger.|
The Future is the Past (未来は過去に Mirai wa Kako ni) is the fortieth episode of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. It is a tribute episode to Mirai Sentai Timeranger as well as the explanation of the Gokaiger's cameo appearance from the film Tensou Sentai Goseiger vs. Shinkenger: Epic on Ginmaku.
The former TimeYellow, Domon, tells the Gokaigers that they must go back in time to save a temple that was mysteriously destroyed. During their search for the culprit, they find the Shinkengers and Goseigers in their own battle.
Continuity and Placement
- The time travel portion of the episode takes place during the events of Tensou Sentai Goseiger vs. Shinkenger: Epic on Ginmaku, canonizing the Gokaigers' appearance in the film.
During lunch time, the Gokai Galleon is suddenly shaken by the appearance of the GoZyuDrill, stationed outside. When Gai looks into it, he finds a Tomorrow Research badge, containing a hologram of Domon, the former TimeYellow.
Showing it to his teammates, they find it's a holographic message left to them by Domon, charging the Gokaigers with going back in time to October 2, 2010 and protecting the Megakure Shrine, which had mysteriously exploded that day, in exchange for one of the Greater Powers. The Gokaigers are puzzled, since they already have the Timerangers' Greater Power thanks to Gai, but accept the task nonetheless.
Taking GoZyuDrill through a time hole into the past, they find a boy being accosted by many Strengthened Nanashi troopers at the Megakure Shrine. They manage to injure a few before the Nanashi mysteriously flee. Ahim tells Gai to tend to the boy while the rest of the team goes off to find whoever could be responsible for the explosion.
In a quarry nearby, they spot the Goseiger and Shinkenger teams as they begin their battle against the forces of Buredoran of the Chimatsuri. Later, they find Shitari of the Bones rallying more of the Nanashi. Concluding him to be the villain, the Gokaigers decide to fight him, with Marvelous reasoning that he would be destroyed by one of the two other teams anyway. They jump down and take out the Nanashi, proceeding to destroy Shitari by using the powers of different Red warriors. After Shitari's destruction, the Gokaigers tell DaiGoyou (who was watching this entire event take place) not to let their appearance be known to anyone before heading back towards the GoZyuDrill.
Meanwhile, Gai talks to the boy, who had run away from home (though he insists he was "moving out"), because his mother, a freelance writer, is always moving, so he has no time to stay and make friends. Gai tells him that, like the boy, he too moved from city to city frequently because of his parents when he was a child, but nevertheless, he had a lot of friends because he always tried hard to make new friends at every place he arrived.
Just then, Metal Alice of the Agent comes by, analyzing the Megakure Shrine and marking it for destruction, a task she assigns Zan-KT-0 of the Shot with. Zan-KT-0 is confronted by Gai, who lures him away from the temple to an uninhabited area, but cannot seem to break through his enemy's defense. When the Gokaigers arrive, they all decide to use the Timerangers' powers to fight and defeat Zan-KT-0, much to the amazement of Metal Alice, who has no data on the Gokaigers. Before leaving, however, she enlarges Zan-KT-0 with her Bibi Bugs, and Gokai Silver offers to fight him alone in the GoZyuDrill. Zan-KT-0 is defeated when Gai uses the Black Knight key to utilize the Greater Power of the Gingaman to allow GoZyuJin to use a new attack, the GoZyu Eidan followed by the GoZyu Triple Drill Dream.
Later on at the Megakure Shrine, the boy's mother arrives, apologizing for her son's behavior, and as she is revealed to be Honami Moriyama (the girlfriend Domon had left in the late 20th century), Don reminds Gai to take a picture of them at the shrine to prove their success, asking Honami and her son, Mirai, to join them. In the present, the gang is relieved to see that the temple made it through to November 2011. Navi asks the team which Grand Power they claimed, however the Gokaigers are horrified when they realize that they never actually got what they were promised. Marvelous is furious with Domon for apparently lying to them to get them to save the temple, while Gai promises that Domon wouldn't do that. As the crew argue, the Gokai Galleon flies over the temple inside of which lies a jar.
In the year 3011, Domon enters GoZyuDrill and finds a letter that Gai left on the cockpit for him telling him they saved the shrine and have enclosed a photo as proof as well as requesting his autograph. Domon reads the letter and then looks at the photograph. Initially upset that they interacted with people from the past (something they had orders not to do), he soon recognizes Honami in the picture and, realizing that the boy next to her is the son he never knew existed, Domon is brought to tears.
- Captain Marvelous (キャプテン・マーベラス Kyaputen Māberasu): Ryota Ozawa (小澤 亮太 Ozawa Ryōta)
- Joe Gibken (ジョー・ギブケン Jō Gibuken): Yuki Yamada (山田 裕貴 Yamada Yūki)
- Luka Millfy (ルカ・ミルフィ Ruka Mirufi): Mao Ichimichi (市道 真央 Ichimichi Mao)
- Don Dogoier (ドン･ドッゴイヤー Don Doggoiyā): Kazuki Shimizu (清水 一希 Shimizu Kazuki)
- Ahim de Famille (アイム・ド・ファミーユ Aimu do Famīyu): Yui Koike (小池 唯 Koike Yui)
- Gai Ikari (伊狩 鎧 Ikari Gai): Junya Ikeda (池田 純矢 Ikeda Jun'ya)
- Navi (ナビィ Nabyi, Voice): Yukari Tamura (田村 ゆかり Tamura Yukari)
- Shitari of the Bones (骨のシタリ Hone no Shitari, Voice): Chō (チョー)
- Metal Alice of the Agent (エージェントのメタルA Ējento no Metaru Arisu, Voice): Marina Inoue (井上 麻里奈 Inoue Marina)
- Zan-KT0 of the Shot (ショットのザンKT0 Shotto no Zan Kē Tī Zero, Voice): Taketora (武虎)
- Domon (ドモン): Shūhei Izumi (和泉 宗兵 Izumi Shūhei)
- Honami Moriyama (森山 ホナミ Moriyama Honami): Tamao Yoshimura (吉村 玉緒 Yoshimura Tamao)
- Mirai Moriyama (森山 未来 Moriyama Mirai): Asuka Komiya (小宮 明日翔 Komiya Asuka)
- Gokai Changes in The Future is the Past:
- Gokai Red - Go-On Red (movie footage), TimeRed
- Gokai Blue - Bouken Red (movie footage), TimeBlue
- Gokai Yellow - GekiRed (movie footage), TimeYellow
- Gokai Green - DekaRed (movie footage), TimeGreen
- Gokai Pink - MagiRed (movie footage), TimePink
- Gokai Silver - Shinken Gold, KingRanger, TimeFire, Gold Mode
- Excluding a deleted scene from episode 45, this is the last episode in which all six Gokaigers change into a complete past team.
Elements/Homages to Timeranger
- The title of this episode homages the main concept of Timeranger: heroes going back in time to perform actions that ultimately shape the future.
- Like every episode of Timeranger, a specific date is used to notify where it takes place. In the case of this episode, the date is October 2nd, 2010, which takes places right between Goseiger Epics 32 and 33.
- When the Gokaigers battle Zan-KT-0, the beginning of the battle is the same as the Timeranger's first battle against the Londerz. Some scenes have low framerates, an effect similar to Timeranger opening clips.
- When GoZyuJin defeats Zan-KT-0, Gokai Silver says "Time up", referencing to the phrase when the Timerangers defeat a Londerz Prisoner.
- As part of Super Hero Time, this episode aired alongside Kamen Rider Fourze episode 12, Mission: Ken's Life.
- Viewership: 4.5%
- Total Greater Powers Collected:
- Gokaigers: 28
- Basco: 3
- Nanashi Company assaulting Negakure Temple is a homage to their invasion of Tengen Temple in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger Act 23: The Rampaging Gedoushu.
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger Volume 10 features episodes 37-41: Ep. 37: The Strongest Fighting Machine, Ep. 38: The Power to Seize Dreams, Ep. 39: Why? We're High School Students, Ep. 40: The Future is the Past, and Ep. 41: Something I Don't Want to Lose. It was released on April 21, 2012.