|This article is about a/an villain in Power Rangers S.P.D.|
|"We have taken all we can from Alandria. The life forms have fled and the planet is useless to me. AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!"|
|―Grumm's very first words when destroying an innocent planet in the very first scene of SPD, as well as his first words spoken in the entire season overall.[src]|
|"No! You'll pay for this, Cruger!"|
|―Emperor Gruumm's final words after being imprisoned in a containment card.Endings|
Emperor Gruumm is a figurehead who serves as the de jure leader of the Troobians, an alien empire whose ultimate goal is to conquer the universe with his supposedly unending army.
He is the primary antagonist for the majority of the series, becoming the secondary antagonist in the episode "Insomnia" when Omni reveals himself and remained the secondary villain up until his final scene where he was the sole remaining villain.
All that's known of his backstory is that he works for Omni, a malevolent disembodied brain that Gruumm fears and worships as "the Magnificence"/"Your Magnificence". Gruumm's main strategy was always to overwhelm and devastate a planet with constant, large-scale assaults and then drain the planet of its resources, his ship can even destroy a planet from orbit.
Gruumm got the codes from the shields around the planet Sirius from Astronema so that he could deactivate them and attack the planet. The Emperor then launched and attack on Sirius, despite the planet forming the very first Space Patrol Delta, the Sirians fell to Gruumm's army of Krybots that was led by General Benaag. During the battle Gruumm went to the battlefield himself and faced a Sirian called Anubis "Doggie" Cruger, while the two warriors fought Doggie managed to cut off his right horn, which angered Gruumm a lot. Gruumm later left Doggie to die and captured his wife Isinia Cruger (leaving Doggie to believe that she died on the battle) while the other Sirians were destroyed.
Gruumm over the years had conquered and slaughtered a large number of planets, with the Rangers once exaggerating to say he'd conquered everywhere but Earth. Kat Manx later said that her own homeworld had also fallen to the Troobian Empire.
Years later in 2025, Gruumm launched an assault on Earth where he realized that Doggie Cruger was the Commander of S.P.D. in that planet. His highly destructive tactics show life means little to him. It was initially unclear why he wasn't using such tactics to conquer Earth, except on rare occasions where he simply lost his temper and struck in force or attacked personally; in each case, he would have won if not for outside intervention (new weaponry for Cruger, the Omega Ranger, and Dino Thunder Rangers respectively).
It became clear later on that Gruumm had been working off a long term plan, intending not to leech and destroy Earth but instead to use its resources - which he looted over the course of the season - diamonds, gold, Iridium, and Hemotech Synthetic Plasma (which is used as a synthesizing agent) - to construct a body for Omni.
Emperor Gruumm had two aides, Mora/Morgana and Broodwing. He has a bitter hatred for Cruger, who cut off his right horn in the battle for Sirius. He is also the most powerful warrior among the Troobian empire, as proved in his victories over the B-Squad Rangers and Supreme Commander Fowler "Birdie". His main weapon is a staff that shoots, and he also rides a motorcycle with lighting laser cannons. Gruumm has the ability to use telepathy and shapeshift into a selected human form. In battle, he has shown the ability to decimate the Rangers, defeat Commander Birdie and also harm Zeltrax, though Cruger has shown the ability to defeat him.
Gruumm later captures Cruger with help from the renegade A-Squad and then later B-Squad with Piggy's help. As Omni's body begins to take shape, B-Squad and Cruger escape and Cruger confronts Gruumm after capturing Mora. Gruumm threatens the life of Cruger's long-lost wife Isinia to try to force Cruger to surrender, but is instead thrown into the lava at the heart of Omni and apparently killed. After Omni is destroyed by the S.W.A.T. Megazord, Gruumm emerges from the wreckage in front of SPD Headquarters amidst the celebrations to face Cruger one last time. Unmorphed, Cruger battles Gruumm who proves no match for Cruger. After Cruger smashes Gruumm's staff, Gruumm orders Cruger to show him no mercy. Instead of killing Gruumm, Cruger cuts off the top of his remaining horn and contains Gruumm. As Gruumm yells threats from his card, Cruger shows it to the assembled forces of SPD and declares that "justice is served!" as everyone celebrates.
Gruumm appears in the Nintendo DS version of Power Rangers: Super Legends as the main villain who has set his sights upon the myth of the Hall of Legends, the resting place of the collected energies of Power Rangers across time. In his twisted mind, he envisioned a world where his enemy's power is not only stolen, but used to make him a living god over all creation. In the console version of the same game, he is merely mentioned.
to be added
Powers and Abilities
- Shape-Shifting: Gruumm can shift his form at will as shown when he turned into a random man to meet with Piggy in his bar during the Morgana Incident.
- Telekinesis: Gruumm has extremely powerful telekinetic powers, being able to crush a Blue-Headed Krybot just by squeezing his hand.
- Telepathy: Gruumm has a limited form of telepathy demonstrated at multiple points throughout the series, as seen when he spoke with Omni.
- Lightning Beams: Emperor Gruumm is able to fire indigo lightning beams from his hands.
- Brainwashing Immunity: Emperor Gruumm appears to be immune to Omni's brainwashing powder.
- Strength: Emperor Gruumm is the face of the Troobian Empire and its second most powerful warrior (the first being Omni). He easily took down six Rangers with just his hands and staff and could block the Shadow Saber with his bare hands. During his penultimate battle against Cruger, he managed to keep a constant grip on Cruger's arm for as long as he wanted to.
- Durability: Gruumm has survived constant wars and attempts on his life with his most impressive display being surviving the Z-Rex Blaster without having any reaction beyond just cringing in pain.
- Expert Genius: Emperor Gruumm is one of the smarter villains, being able to devise a way to join Omni with the resources he stole to create his superior's Magnificence form.
to be added
- Staff: Gruumm has a very big brown staff that he utilizes as a personal weapon that acts as his equivalent to the Shadow Saber.
- Staff Beam: Gruumm can charge up his staff with red energy and fire purple or yellow energy beams from the tip powerful enough to take down six Rangers in one blast.
- Tractor Beams: Gruumm can fire yellow lightning-like tractor beams from his staff powerful enough to wrap up and restrain his enemies. He used this in the first part of the two part finale.
- Lightning Blast: Gruumm can power up his staff with orange energy to blue-purple lightning blasts from his staff.
- Age changing : Gruumm can use his staff to age and deage Mora/Morgana.
- Shield: In some occasions, Emperor Gruumm has a brown shield for defense.
- Motorcycle: Gruumm also rides a powerful motorcycle that can fire light or dark red lasers.
Behind the Scenes
to be added
to be added
to be added
- Emperor Grumm is voiced by Rene Naufahu, who would later play Mentor Ji of Power Rangers: Samurai and give Ji a similar sounding voice.
- Interestingly, Rene's real eyes could be seen behind the Gruumm mask. Whether this was an accident, or that in-show, it was a mask that is unknown.
- In Omega Ranger's original timeline, Gruumm did conquer Earth in 2025 and the planet was still calling for help in 2040.
- The comic timeline, Gruumm put a bounty on the Omega Rangers in the 1990s.
- Omni was off-screen and communicating with Gruumm remotely. This meant that early in the show, it appeared that Gruumm was mad and talking to himself. Omni was represented by another version of Gruumm (which most originally thought was just schizophrenia). Later, it became clear that another entity was in charge.
- In an interview (9:26 in), co-producer Greg Aronowitz clarified that "Gruumm has always been Omni's puppet... [Gruumm] has power, but he has issues and he has weakness, and Omni has taken advantage of that for as long as time can remember." RangerCast interviews with Greg Aronowitz.
- In a May 2014 interview Greg Aronowitz has stated that Gruumm's original concept was intended to be a homage to Sleeping Beauty's Maleficent as a power hungry and deranged villain. The skull and partially exposed brain was due to Aronowitz's fondness for such things, as well as to show that Gruumm was hiding his true nature and was also both intelligent and had a weak point.
- Gruumm is one of the few major Power Rangers villains to both survive the events of the season and not get any redemption or comeuppance. The others are Queen Bansheera, Broodwing, Mora, The A-Squad Rangers and Scrozzle. Octoroo's final fate is unknown.
- Gruumm has no Super Sentai counterpart, instead the main villain of Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger is Rainian Agent Abrella, though he is the counterpart of Broodwing, and not the Emperor himself.
- Rainian Agent Abrella - Super Sentai counterpart in Dekaranger. See comparison page. (in terms of main antagonist)
- Führer Hell Saturn - Super Sentai counterpart in Sun Vulcan. See comparison page. (As front for the main enemy)