|This article is about a/an zord in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
- "I need Dragonzord Power, now!"
- ―Tommy summoning the Dragonzord[src]
The Dragonzord is the zord linked to the green Mighty Morphin Power Coin. Due to its unique construction and controls among the Dinozords, it was controlled at various points by Tommy Oliver the Mighty Morphin Green Ranger, Jason Lee Scott the Red Ranger, Tommy's clone Tom Oliver, and several villains.
Dragonzord featured a wide array of offensive weaponry. Its tail had a drill on the tip, which could swing around to attack opponents. It was better equipped to battle underwater than the Dino Megazord as it slept under Angel Grove Bay when not in use. Tommy would usually command the Dragonzord remotely from the sidelines with the Dragon Dagger, though on rare occasions he would pilot it directly from its cockpit. While Jason had possession of the Dragon Dagger, he would command it remotely while continuing to pilot Megazord from its own cockpit.
Appearances: MMPR S1 Episodes 22-25, 27-29, 31-36, 39, 40, 49, 50, 52, 55-60, MMPR S2 Episodes 2-4, 12 & 45, 46
Powers and Abilities
- Dragonzord Missiles: Dragonzord could shoot missiles from its fingertips.
- Combinations: Dragonzord was capable of combining with the other Dinozords in various configurations. When joined with the Mastodon, Triceratops and Saber-Toothed Tiger, it formed Dragonzord Battle Mode. Dragonzord could also combine with the Dino Megazord to form Mega Dragonzord. Finally, the Mega Dragonzord could join with Titanus to form Ultrazord, whose barrage of firepower was more than nearly all opponents could withstand.
Dragonzord lay dormant in the sea off the coast of Angel Grove for an indeterminate number of years. After creating her evil Green Ranger, Rita Repulsa gave him the Dragon Dagger, granting him the power to summon and control the Dragonzord. When her spell was broken and Tommy joined the Power Rangers on the side of good, he retained the dagger and control of Dragonzord. With Dragonzord now on the side of good, it could provide the Rangers with new Zord combinations.
Not long thereafter, when Rita's green candle sapped the Green Ranger powers, Tommy bestowed what remained of them on Red Ranger Jason. He was then able to summon the Dragonzord via the Dragon Dagger even while Tommy was out of action.
Some time later, Rita kidnapped the parents of Angel Grove and put a spell on Billy to get him to steal the Dragon Dagger and give it to Goldar, who then began using Dragonzord to attack Angel Grove. In response, Zordon infused Tommy's power coin with some of his own great power, allowing him to return to the fold as the Green Ranger. He then reclaimed the Dragon Dagger and the Power Coins (which the Rangers had given to Goldar in exchange for their kidnapped parents) and was reunited with Dragonzord.
Later, when Lord Zedd took over from Rita and sent his Pirantishead monster to Earth, Dragonzord was corrupted by the creature, who froze four of the Dinozords and turned Dragonzord and the Tyrannosaurus Dinozord against the Power Rangers. The Rangers were able to regain control of Dragonzord, however Tommy was forced to return it to the sea to protect it after the other Dinozords were destroyed by Zedd.
Though still used in battle, the Dragonzord was left at a severe disadvantage from that point on; in addition to its power growing weaker and weaker alongside Tommy's own (with one attempt to summon it failing completely), the Dragonzord was incapable of combining with the newer Thunderzords, further limiting its usefulness. Unlike the other Dinozords, Dragonzord was not able to transform into a Thunderzord since Tommy's power were too weak to allow this. Its final battle for the Rangers occurred when it fought Turbanshell and was easily defeated by the powerful monster. The battle with Turbanshell marked the end of Tommy's Green Ranger powers, and with no corresponding Ranger to command it, the Dragonzord returned to stasis in the sea.
Some time afterward, when the Wizard of Deception created an evil clone of Tommy and granted it the powers of the Green Ranger, Dragonzord was once again pressed into service on the side of evil. Tommy was able to destroy the Wizard and break the spell on his clone, who, after some prodding from the White Ranger, stopped the Dragonzord's rampage and returned the Zord to its watery slumber one final time. To this day, the Dragonzord still remains inactive at the bottom of Angel Grove Bay.
Dragonzord Battle Mode
- See also: Gouryuuzin
The Dragonzord could combine with the Mastodon, Triceratops, and Sabertooth Tiger Dinozords to create the Dragonzord Battle Mode (sometimes referred to as Dragonzord Fighting Mode, Mega Dragonzord Battle Mode, Dragon Megazord or, incorrectly, as Mega Dragonzord). The Dragonzord Battle Mode appears to be somewhat more powerful than the Megazord, as it was shown capable of taking out monsters the Megazord could not handle. Despite being comprised of only four total Zords, it was most often piloted by the five primary Rangers, with the Green Ranger not joining in the cockpit.
Dragonzord's chest piece was detached, its hands retracted into the body cavity and it closed in on itself to form a new exterior chest. The Sabertooth Tiger, Triceratops and Mastodon Dinozords served the same functions they did as part of the Dino Megazord, as the mecha's legs, shoulders and arms. Dragonzord's tail detached and combined with the chest piece to form the Power Staff. The drill at the tip of the staff could be charged and used as a decisive finishing attack. Dragonzord Battle Mode was also capable of turning the fin on top of its head into pure energy and hurling it at enemies, but this attack rarely proved effective.
Appearances: MMPR S1 Episodes 21, 23-25, 31-35, 39, 40, 50
- See also: Zyutei Daizyuzin
The Dragonzord also had the ability to combine with the entire original Megazord to form the Mega Dragonzord. In this formation, the Dragonzord turned into a sort of armor that would lay atop the Megazord, turning its finger cannons into shoulder cannons. Its primary attack consisted of a energy sphere attack generated by the Dragonzord symbols next to the the arms and the Megazord's chestplate, capable of disintegrating evil monsters; it could also fire a lesser, three-pronged attack where blue beams shot from the sides and a yellow beam was fired from the chestplate. Also it is known as the Super Dino Megazord, Dino Mega Dragonzord or Ultrazord (Japanese Dub). The Mega Dragonzord also mostly rode on Titanus, transforming into the Dino Ultrazord.
Appearances: MMPR S1 Episodes 27, 29, 31-36, 39, 40, 50, 52, 57-59
- Mega Dragonzord (Dragonzord and Megazord combined) combine with Titanus to form Ultrazord.
Ninja Power Stars
The Dragonzord Ninja Power Star is a special Ninja Power Star that bears the likeness of the Dragonzord and is marked with the kanji for "machine." This is exclusive to the Super Ninja Steel toyline and does not make an in-show appearance.
- Unlike the five primary Dinozords, the Dragonzord does not appear to be linked directly to the power of the Dragon Power Coin. Instead, the Zord can be summoned simply by using the Dragon Dagger, regardless of whether or not the Dragon Coin itself is usable, by anybody who possesses it, as demonstrated when Goldar was able to use it.
- The Dragonzord is the only Dinozord, alongside Titanus, which has not been destroyed, although its current status is unknown.
- The Dragonzord's design is similar to that of 'MechaGodzilla’, a monster from the Godzilla movie franchise. Its method of rising from the ocean is also reminiscent of the actual Godzilla.
- Although in both the toy and show versions the whole Dragonzord (including the chest piece and tail) is utilized for the Dragonzord Battle Mode and Ultrazord combinations, in all show versions both the Dragonzord's chest piece and tail are always absent from the Mega Dragonzord combination. However, the toy versions of Mega Dragonzord actually do utilize the Dragonzord's chestpiece and tail along with the open body of the Dragonzord as parts.
- The Dragonzord's chest piece is seen as part of the Ninja Ultrazord and Shogun Ultrazord formation in the same location it takes in the original Ultrazord, despite the fact the Dragonzord is not involved in either combination formation and the Zord itself not being available to the Rangers at the time. No explanation is given for this.
- Deluxe Season 3 toy "The Return of Titanus" included a Dragonzord chest piece in the box in order to form Ninja or Shogun Ultrazord, but in order to cut costs, Dragonzord chest piece had no electrical lights like Deluxe Dragonzord did. It was therfore possible to assemble the Ninja or Shogun Ultrazord using either "The Return of Titanus" Deluxe toy or season 1 Titanus and Dragonzord Deluxe toys.
- The Dragonzord Battle Mode cockpit has a seating terminal for the Pink Ranger, despite the fact the Pterodactyl Dinozord is not involved in the combination. This is due to the fact the cockpit is repurposed from the set used for the Megazord with the "forehead" top panel removed, the symbol on the set's background removed, and the Red Ranger's terminal indicator and Power Crystal being replaced with Green Ranger equivalents.
- In one instance, the Dragonzord Battle Mode was only piloted by Zack, Billy and Trini, due to their Zords being part of the combination.
- Due to Tommy's continued presence when Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers adapted Dairanger footage, the Dragonzord saw continued use alongside the Thunder Megazord, although its use was often limited by reason of Tommy's continuously-draining powers. In actuality, as they originated from different series, the Dragonzord was never directly depicted alongside the Thunder Megazord or any Monster that had originated from Dairanger, forcing constant splicing between Zyuranger and Dairanger footage to compensate. Additionally, the Dragonzord could no longer combine with any other Zords, as the Thunderzords were incompatible with it.
- The footage of the Dragonzord chomping on a candy-cane colored smokestack was frequently reused when cobbling together Zyuranger footage for Power Rangers episodes. The event has also become a popular internet meme related to the Dragonzord.
- Dragonzord in Battle Mode does not feature the back-mounted cannons typically seen on the Megazord's back. The Megazord toy instructs the cannons to be attached to the Pterodactyl's bottom fins, although this was never seen in the show.
- In the Japanese dub, Dragonzord Battle Mode was named as Mega Dragonzord, while Mega Dragonzord was named as Ultrazord.
- In the Boom! Studios comics, Scorpina is able to control the Dragonzord with a replica Dragon Dagger.
- In this universe, the Dragonzord has the ability to use its fingers as rocket projectors which can be used to launch into outer space.
- After Matthew Cook became the new Green Ranger, the Dragonzord was modified by Grace Sterling at Promethea, apparently being able to combine with the White Tigerzord and by extension, the rest of the Thunderzords.
- In "Return of the Green Ranger" the Dragonzord and Tigerzord are never seen together in a single shot, as no such battle took place in Super Sentai and thus no archive footage was available. Instead, archive footage of the two Zords was spliced together, with attacks being followed up by footage of the other Zord being damaged.