|This article is about a/an villain-turned-ally in Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue.|
- "What I should’ve done from the very beginning, destroy you myself!"
- ―Diabolico before he made himself grow to take on the Rangers.[src]
- "You have done the impossible! You have defeated the mighty Diabolico. But rest assured, Queen Bansheera will avenge my defeat a thousand fold!"
- ―Diabolico's final words before his initial demise.[src]
- "Queen Bansheera, I curse your name! I will never again lift a finger for you! I am no longer your warrior!"
- ―Diabolico angrily resigning to Bansheera for her betrayal and disloyalty in forcing him to kill Loki.[src]
- "Ranger, out of the way!"
- ―Diabolico when shoving Carter away from an attack from Olympius and his final words before his demise.[src]
- "I am here to help. Help the Rangers destroy you for good."
- ―Diabolico's final words before dragging Queen Bansheera to her doom.[src]
Diabolico was a devil-like Demon who was the secondary antagonist turned anti-hero of Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue. Up until Queen Bansheera's return, he was the main antagonist. He was the first demon in the show to be granted the Star Power by Queen Bansheera.
Many years before events of the series, Diabolico (who somehow temporarily escape his tomb before it's opened) appeared before Captain Mitchell and his two children in a ghostly form when they were hanging off the edge of a cliff after a car accident. Dana was safe, but Ryan was about to fall when Diabolico offered to save him. After rescuing Ryan, Diabolico told Captain Mitchell that he would see his son again on his twentieth birthday. From then on, Diabolico trained Ryan to be a skilled warrior; this proved to be his downfall when Ryan switched sides.
In the series
Diabolico was released with the other demons when a group of adventurers opened the tomb and the villains returned to their lair where they plot to destroy Mariner Bay and rebuild the palace of Queen Bansheera. In the meantime, Captain Mitchell created the Lightspeed Rangers and the heroes always foiled Diabolico's plans.
Because of his repeated failures, Diabolico was threatened by Queen Bansheera, to take the Star Power and give it to her son, Impus. Diabolico considered even killing Impus himself, but he lost the chance when surprised by Jinxer.
When the three were defeated, he combined them into the Troika monster. After Troika was killed, he returned to the city and made himself grow. In his giant form, Diabolico punched holes right through the Supertrain and Lightspeed Megazords and nearly finished the team off entirely. However, the Power Rangers formed the Lightspeed Solarzord and destroyed him by absorbing one of his blasts and using the power from it in their own cannons until he was destroyed.
Diabolico later confronted Olympius during an attack with his Freezard monster only for him, Olympius, Vypra, Loki and Freezard to be returned to the palace to meet with Queen Bansheera. He immediately returned to his queen's side, attempting to regain favor with her and recapture the Star Power from Olympius.
His plans went so far as to trap the naive young demon in the Shadow World, where dead monsters dwell. Queen Bansheera revealed that she knew what he had done but did not care about Olympius; she only cared about her plan to rebuild her palace.
After Bansheera absorbed Vypra to complete her metamorphosis into her true form, she briefly took control of Diabolico's body and used him to fire at the Rangers. This ended up killing his ally and friend, Loki, who accidentally blocked Diabolico's shot. Diabolico then turned against Bansheera, and told the Red Lightspeed Ranger where to strike in order to defeat her. Unfortunately for both Diabolico and the Rangers, she survived.
Fleeing Bansheera, Diabolico was attacked and defeated by a vengeful Olympius. He was dragged back to Bansheera, who turned him into Olympius' mindless pet. The two then attacked the Rangers, but with the help of Carter, the Red Ranger, Diabolico turned against Olympius once more, giving Carter the Key to the Tomb. Olympius then took down Diabolico, and in response, the Rangers took down Olympius. Soon, Bansheera revived the two of them as giant Super Demons, bringing Diabolico back under her control. They wreaked havoc on the city and the Rangers' Megazords. It took the power of the previously-unused Lifeforce Megazord to finally destroy the two Super Demons, at which point the key returned to the tomb.
At the very end of the final battle, the Lightspeed Rangers fought Queen Bansheera in the Skull Cavern. Carter knocked her inside of the Shadow World tomb, but she managed to drag him down using her tentacles, leaving them suspended above the monsters below. Even though she knew she was doomed, she planned to take him with her. Carter urged his friends to close the tomb, but they didn't want him to fall in. At that moment, Diabolico's spirit appeared to help the Rangers. He freed Carter and dragged her into the Shadow World, exacting his final revenge on her. Carter then climbed out and Ryan closed the tomb, sealing both Diabolico and his hated Queen inside forever.
Although a villain, Diabolico cared deeply for his comrades, especially Loki. When he was forced to shoot Loki and destroyed him along with the Rangers, he became remorseful and ultimately defected from Queen Bansheera's side and ultimately became a short-lived ally of the Rangers. In the season finale, he was able to exact his revenge by helping the Rangers destroy Queen Bansheera once and for all.
Diabolico was evidently considered to be a good friend by Loki and Vypra as well as they both mourned him when he was killed by the Rangers. Even though he lied to Ryan to manipulate him, he did seem to care about Ryan and wanted him to rule by his side when the Rangers were destroyed. When Ryan solidified his loyalty to the Rangers over him, he stopped calling Ryan by his name and simply called him the Titanium Ranger.
Diabolico displayed strong spiritual powers, as he was able to appear in a spiritual form even when he was imprisoned and after being destroyed. He could also control the weather and summon energy blasts. In battle, he used a skull-themed two-pronged staff with axe-like blades. He has also shown a strange ability where he can detach his right hand and grab onto opponents with it and bring the rest of his body closer to his target. With the Star Power, Diabolico was immensely powerful; one of his energy beams was enough to put a hole through the Supertrain Megazord. Even without the Star Power, he was a competent fighter, nearly besting Olympius in their first battle. When turned into his Super Demon form, Diabolico was at his peak in power. In this form, he used a jewel-encrusted sword as his weapon. When he combined his powers with those of Olympius, they were enough to destroy nearly all of the Rangers' Megazords, a feat very few villains and monsters are capable of achieving.
Despite being a villain, he was quite loyal to his servants, treating them more as friends. He never treated them as expendable pawns, especially Loki. He refused to fire on the Rangers when they were near Loki and betrayed Queen Bansheera after she forced him to.
Powers and Abilities
- Teleportation: Diabolico can teleport to any location at will.
- Atmokinesis: He is able to manipulate the weather.
- Lightning Bolts: Diabolico's weather powers can cause red or blue lightning bolts to rain down from the sky and strike opponents.
- Energy Blasts: Diabolico is able to fire yellow or blue energy blasts.
- Spirit Form: Diabolico has the ability to appear as a spirit when he was imprisoned.
- Projection: Diabolico can create a projection of himself in any objects, including the sky.
- Conjuration: Diabolico can conjure up any objects into his hands, such as the cards for his three powerful monsters.
- Chest Soundwaves: Diabolico can fire gold soundwaves from his chest-mouth. It was strong enough to pin Ryan to a stone column.
- Size Changing: He can change his size at will.
- Chest Energy Beam: Diabolico's strongest attack where he can make the eyes and Star Power on his chest glow and then fire a massive red energy beam from his chest-mouth. This was powerful enough to punch a hole straight through the Supertrain Megazord and make it explode. Another blast was powerful enough to take down the Lightspeed Megazord, although it did not explode. A final blast was used to try and destroy the Lightspeed Solarzord but was absorbed and used to put an end to him. Since he never used this attack after he was resurrected, he likely lost it with the Star Power.
- Rocket Fists: Diabolico can detach either of his hands to grab onto his targets before bringing the rest of his body back to that target.
- Magic: Diabolico is shown to be able to use magic, as seen when he used a spell to destroy the Sorcerer of Sands.
- Monster Summoning: Diabolico was able to summon Aquafiend by calling out for him.
- Telepathic Communication: Diabolico was also able to talk with Queen Bansheera mentally.
- Strength: As one of the main antagonists of Lightspeed Rescue, Diabolico is far stronger than any monster and even Vypra or Loki. The only ones stronger than him were Prince Olympius (with the Star Power) and Queen Bansheera.
- Durability: As one of the absolute antagonists of Lightspeed Rescue, Diabolico is immune to all but the strongest attacks of Lightspeed Rescue.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Diabolico is a proficient fighter in hand-to-hand combat, nearly besting Olympius in battle for the first time following his revival.
- Vulnerability to Hypnosis: Diabolico is susceptible to hypnosis, as seen when Queen Bansheera took control of him.
- Skull Staff: Diabolico has a skull-themed two-pronged staff with axe-like blades to aid him in combat.
- Cobra Curse Inducement: With his staff, Diabolico can fire a red-orange laser beam that cursed Ryan with a Cobra tattoo that will slowly kill him every time he morphs. The curse can only be broken by destroying the Cobra Incarnate.
- Flying Staff: Diabolico can toss his staff to make it fly at his enemies.
- Explosions: When it lands after flying, Diabolico's staff can create an explosion that can harm his opponents.
- Energy Lasers: Diabolico can fire yellow or blue energy lasers from his staff. When he enlarged himself, this was powerful enough to take down the Supertrain Megazord with a single blast.
- Cards: As a last resort, Diabolico used a set of special cards which he used to summon his three monsters and even enlarge them.
- Shadow World Key: Diabolico stole the key to the Shadow World from Olympius to trap him there. He later tried giving it to Carter to use but was killed by the prince before he could do so.
Powers and Abilities
- Mouth Flame Beam: Diabolico can spew out a strong flame beam from his mouth.
- Mega Beam: By combining his powers with Olympius, he can fire a super strong yellow energy beam. This was the strongest attack to appear all season, destroying the Supertrain Megazord and Lightspeed Solarzord completely and critically damaging the Omega Megazord.
- Strength: Being powered by Bansheera, Diabolico is now far stronger than before.
- Durability: Diabolico's skin has become more durable, allowing him to take a punch and a Turbine Blast from the Supertrain Megazord without getting a scratch.
to be added
- Sword: In his Super Demon form, he is armed with a demonic jewel-encrusted sword.
Behind the Scenes
- Diabolico is voiced by Neil Kaplan.
to be added
- Diabolico's name is based on the word "diabolical," whose root comes from the Spanish word for "devil". "Diabolical" can also mean evil and underhanded, but this is in contrast to Diabolico, who has shown himself to be very loyal to those he believes in: initially Bansheera, and later Carter and the Lightspeed Rangers.
- Diabolico is the first major villain to help the Rangers defeat another major villain. The second was Ransik.
- The fact that he has a face on his chest reminds a little creatures like Astaroth and Satan in Ghost and Goblins.