|This article is about a/an villain-turned-ally in Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue.|
- "You have done the impossible! You have defeated the mighty Diabolico. But rest assured, Queen Bansheera will avenge my defeat a thousand fold!"
- ―Diabolico's final words before his initial demise.[src]
- "Queen Bansheera, I curse your name! I will never again lift a finger for you! I am no longer your warrior!"
- ―Diabolico angrily resigning to Bansheera for her betrayal and disloyalty in forcing him to kill Loki.[src]
- "Ranger, out of the way!"
- ―Diabolico when shoving Carter away from a fireball from Olympius and his final words before his death.[src]
- "I am here to help. Help the rangers destroy you for good."
- ―Diabolico's final words before dragging Queen Bansheera to her death. [src]
Diabolico was a devil-like Demon who was the secondary antagonist turned anti-hero of Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue. Up until Queen Bansheera's return, he was the main antagonist. He was the first demon in the show to be granted the Star Power by Queen Bansheera.
Many years before events of the series, Diabolico appeared before Captain Mitchell and his two children in a spiritual form when they were hanging off the edge of a cliff after a car accident. Dana was safe, but Ryan was about to fall to his doom when Diabolico offered to save him, but in return, he gains ownership over Ryan, to which Mitchell reluctantly agreed. After rescuing Ryan, Diabolico told Captain Mitchell that he would see his son again on his twentieth birthday. From then on, Diabolico trained Ryan to be a skilled warrior; this proved to be his downfall when Ryan switched sides.
In the series
Diabolico was released with the other demons when a group of adventurers opened the tomb and the villains returned to their lair where they plot to destroy Mariner Bay and rebuild the palace of Queen Bansheera. However Captain Mitchell created the Lightspeed Rangers and the heroes always foiled Diabolico's plans.
Because of his repeated failures, Diabolico was threatened by Queen Bansheera, who wanted to take the Star Power and give it to her son, Impus. Diabolico considered even killing Impus himself to prevent him from having the Star Power taken away from him, but he lost the chance because of Jinxer.
In desperation, after Ryan turned against him, he summoned Demonite, Falkar, and Thunderon. The trio made up the Troika monster and were his most powerful minions but were each dispatched by the Rangers.
Having collected all of their energy crystals, he combined them into Troika who were too much for the Rangers until they equipped their Battle Boosters. After Troika was killed, he returned to the city and made himself grow to try to destroy the Power Rangers. He easily overwhelmed and punched holes right through the Supertrain and Lightspeed Megazords and nearly finished the team off entirely. However, the Power Rangers formed the Lightspeed Solarzord and destroyed him by absorbing one of his blasts and using the power from it in their own cannons blasting him until he was destroyed. This was ironic, since the Rangers would not have been able to destroy Diabolico without Ryan's help as the Titanium Ranger.
Diabolico later confronted Olympius during an attack with his Freezard monster only for him, Olympius, Vypra, Loki and Freezard to be returned to the palace to meet with Queen Bansheera. He immediately returned to his queen's side, attempting to regain favor with her and recapture the Star Power from Olympius.
His plans went so far as to trap the naive young demon in the Shadow World, where all dead monsters dwell. Queen Bansheera revealed that she knew what he had done but did not care about Olympius; she only cared about her plan to rebuild her palace.
After Bansheera absorbed Vypra to complete her metamorphosis into her true form, she briefly took control of Diabolico's body and forced him to fire at the Rangers. This ended up killing his ally and friend, Loki, who accidentally blocked Diabolico's shot. Diabolico then had enough; he turned against Bansheera, and told the Red Lightspeed Ranger where to strike in order to defeat her. Unfortunately for both Diabolico and the Rangers, she survived.
Fleeing Bansheera and no longer wanting to serve her, Diabolico was attacked and defeated by a vengeful Olympius. He was dragged back to Bansheera, who turned him into Olympius' mindless pet. The two then attacked the Rangers, but with the help of Carter, the Red Ranger, Diabolico's noble side came back out and he was able to break free of the mind control. He turned against Olympius once more, giving Carter the key to the Tomb. Olympius then took down Diabolico, who pushed Carter out of the way before the blast struck him and in response, the Rangers took down Olympius. Soon, Bansheera revived the two of them as giant Super Demons, bringing Diabolico back under her control. They wreaked havoc on the city and the Rangers' Megazords. It took the power of the previously-unused Lifeforce Megazord to finally destroy the two Super Demons, at which point the key returned to the tomb.
At the very end of the final battle, the Lightspeed Rangers fought Queen Bansheera in the Skull Cavern. Carter knocked her inside of the Shadow World tomb, but she managed to drag him down using her tentacles, leaving them suspended above the monsters below. Even though she knew she was doomed, she planned to take him with her. Carter urged his friends to close the tomb, but they didn't want him to fall in. At that moment, Diabolico's spirit appeared to help the Rangers. He freed Carter and dragged her into the Shadow World, exacting his final revenge on her. Carter then climbed out and Ryan closed the tomb, sealing both Diabolico and his hated Queen inside forever.
Despite being a villain, Diabolico cared deeply for his comrades, especially Loki. When he was forced to shoot Loki and destroyed him along with the Rangers, he became remorseful and ultimately defected from Queen Bansheera's side and ultimately became a short-lived ally of the Rangers. In the season finale, he was able to exact his revenge by helping the Rangers destroy Queen Bansheera once and for all.
Diabolico was evidently considered to be a good friend by Loki and Vypra as well as they both mourned him when he was killed by the Rangers. Even though he lied to Ryan to manipulate him, he did seem to care about Ryan and wanted him to rule by his side when the Rangers were destroyed. He even referred to him as Ryan during their time together. When Ryan solidified his loyalty to the Rangers over him, he stopped calling Ryan by his name and simply called him the Titanium Ranger.
Diabolico displayed strong spiritual powers, as he was able to appear in a spiritual form even when he was imprisoned and after being destroyed. He could also control the weather and summon energy blasts. In battle he used a skull-themed two-pronged staff with axe-like blades. He has also shown a strange ability where he can detach his right hand and grab onto opponents with it and bring the rest of his body closer to his target. With the Star Power, Diabolico was immensely powerful; one of his energy beams was enough to put a hole through the Super Train Megazord. Even without the Star Power, he was a competent fighter, nearly besting Olympius in their first battle. When turned into his Super Demon form, Diabolico was at his peak in power. In this form he used a jewel-encrusted sword as his weapon. When he combined his powers with those of Olympius, they were enough to destroy nearly all of the Rangers' Megazords, a feat very few villains and monsters are capable of achieving.
Despite being a villain, he was quite loyal to his servants, treating them more as friends. He never treated them as expendable pawns, especially Loki. He refused to fire on the Rangers when they were near Loki and betrayed Queen Bansheera after she forced him to.
Powers and abilities
- Strength: As one of the main antagonists of Lightspeed Rescue, Diabolico is far stronger than any monster and even Vypra or Loki. The only ones stronger than him were Prince Olympius (with the Star Power) and Queen Bansheera.
- Durability: As one of the absolute antagonists of Lightspeed Rescue, Diabolico is immune to all but the strongest attacks of Lightspeed Rescue.
- Teleportation: Diabolico can teleport to any location at will by turning into gold energy or disappearing into thin air.
- Atmokinesis: He is able to manipulate the weather.
- Energy Blasts: Diabolico is able to fire gold or orange energy blasts.
- Chest Soundwaves: Diabolico can fire yellow soundwaves from his chest-mouth. It was strong enough to pin Ryan to a stone column.
- Size Changing: He can change his size at will.
- Chest Energy Beam: Diabolico's strongest attack where he can make the eyes and Star Power on his chest glow red and then fire a massive red energy beam from his chest-mouth. This was powerful enough to punch a hole straight through the Supertrain Megazord and make it explode. Another blast was powerful enough to take down the Lightspeed Megazord, although it did not explode. A final blast was used to try and destroy the Lightspeed Solarzord but was absorbed and used to put an end to him. Since he never used this attack after he was resurrected, he likely lost it with the Star Power.
- Rocket Fist: He is shown to be able to detach either of his hands to grab onto his targets before bringing the rest of his body back to that target.
- Magic Spell Usage: He is shown to be able to use magic spells and incantations which he used to destroy the Sorcerer of Sands.
- Telepathy: Diabolico was able to freely talk with Queen Bansheera with his mind.
- Staff: Diabolico has a skull-themed two-pronged staff with axe-like blades to aid him in combat.
- Energy Blasts: Diabolico can fire yellow or blue energy blasts from his staff. When he enlarged himself, this was powerful enough to down the Supertrain Megazord with a single blast.
- Cards: He has multiple different cards which he uses to summon his monsters and even enlarge them and sometimes into more powerful forms.
Super Demon Form
- Strength: Being powered by Bansheera, Diabolico is now far stronger than before.
- Durability: Diabolico's skin has become more durable, allowing him to take a punch and a Turbine Blast from the Supertrain Megazord without getting a scratch.
- Mouth Flame Beam: Diabolico can spew out a strong flame beam from his mouth.
- Mega Beam: By combing his powers with Olympius, he can fire a super strong yellow energy beam. This was the strongest attack to appear all season, destroying the Supertrain Megazord and Lightspeed Solarzord completely and critically damaging the Omega Megazord.
- Sword: In his Super Demon form, he is armed with a demonic jewel-encrusted sword.
- Diabolico's name is based on the word "diabolical," whose root comes from the Spanish word for "devil". "Diabolical" can also mean evil and underhanded, but this is in contrast to Diabolico, who has shown himself to be very loyal to those he believes in: initally Bansheera, and later Carter and the Lightspeed Rangers.
- Diabolico is the first major villain to help the Rangers defeat another major villain. The second was Ransik.
- The fact that he has a face on his chest reminds a little creatures like Astaroth and Satan in Ghost and Goblins.