|This article is about a/an villain in Power Rangers in Space, the last installment in the Zordon Era.|
- "I am Dark Specter, monarch of all that is evil! I have captured the mighty Zordon and am draining him of his powers! As his strength drains, the lava will rise extinguishing the Power forever!"
- ―Dark Specter's first words when gloating about his multiple victories to his allies.[src]
Dark Specter, known throughout the universe as the Grand Monarch of Evil, was the head of the United Alliance of Evil and one of the main antagonists in Power Rangers in Space. He is a massive alien monster of uncertain but immense power. Dark Specter can be seen as the main antagonist of the Zordon Era since as he led the alliance which served as the Power Ranger's final challenge and included the villains and armies of 5 different seasons.
Little is known about Dark Specter or how he came to become the Grand Monarch of Evil. What is known is that he was responsible for the attack on Eltar and the capture of Zordon. According to Andros, Dark Specter was also behind the attack on KO-35.
Dark Specter was first (indirectly) mentioned at the beginning of Zeo when Zordon referenced the United Alliance of Evil after the Machine Empire had broken away from it. (A Zeo Beginning- part II.) The first time that he was directly mentioned was when his messenger told Divatox to come to the Cimmerian Planet . (Chase into Space - part II).
Dark Specter brought forth a union of villains known as the United Alliance of Evil, including Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd, the Machine Empire, Divatox, and Astronema. Selecting Astronema to battle the Space Rangers, Dark Specter schemed to ensure that the Rangers never rescue Zordon from his clutches. Despite his position of authority, he was usually a background character during Power Rangers in Space, leaving it to his underlings - particularly Astronema - to crush the rangers.
The only time Dark Specter personally confronted the rangers was during one of their later attempts to rescue Zordon. A reformed Astronema led her brother and his teammates to Zordon's alleged prison, only for it to be revealed that Dark Specter was posing as Zordon. After taunting Andros and reaffirming his faith in Astronema's evil, he teleported away, leaving Astronema and Darkonda to deal with the captive rangers. However, Astronema freed the rangers and they escaped, with the help of Ecliptor. Refusing to let Astronema leave the side of evil so easily, Dark Specter temporarily handed control of the Dark Fortress to Darkonda and commissioned him to reprogram Ecliptor. He then sent an asteroid on a collision course with Earth, which lured Karone into a trap. She was then tragically reprogrammed by Darkonda with cybernetic implants, suppressing her emotions and returning her to the side of evil.
Darkonda's technology worked a little too well, however, and the even more villainous Astronema decided to overthrow Dark Specter. To this end she created the Psycho Rangers, whose power was channeled directly from Dark Specter. Dark Specter's energy drained with each fight by the Psychos, and he called on Astronema to find the cause, a situation that she relished. Eventually, the Rangers would destroy the Psychos, and Dark Specter recovered, never discovering that his trusted lieutenant had betrayed him. In Countdown to Destruction, Dark Specter finally initiated his master plan and launched an all-out invasion of the entire universe, assaulting world including Earth, Gratha, the Vica Galaxy, KO-35, and the homeworld of the Phantom Ranger, in an attempt to destroy the forces of good. Though the attack was going well, Dark Specter was attacked by Darkonda, who turned a planet-destroying missile on the monarch. Though the attack succeeded in destroying Dark Specter, the Grand Monarch of Evil was able to hang on long enough to swallow Darkonda's fighter jet whole, taking the traitorous bounty hunter with him.
Destructive, brutal, cruel, arrogant, and sadistic, Dark Specter is a vicious tyrant and a power-mad monster all rolled into one. He desires control, and uses intimidation, violence, and domination on his own minions. He despises humanity and compassion, and routinely threatens and abuses Astronema/Karone whenever she strays from her path of evil. Despite this, he seems to value her over his other allies, treating her with an almost fatherly concern. He never considers that she might have betrayed him and expends both effort and good will among his minions in his attempts to guide her, despite his many powerful underlings. Indeed, his affection for Astronema seemingly emboldens Darkonda's grudge against both of them. Dark Specter also fails to perceive Darkonda's aspirations for his throne, demonstrating a continual blindness to the treacherous nature of his allies, though whether it stems from faith or arrogance is unclear.
Known Powers and Abilities
The true extent to Dark Specter's power is unknown. He never faced his opposing team of Power Rangers directly and the source of his might was not established. However, all of the Earthborn Power Rangers' enemies demonstrated terror at the thought of his displeasure, implying that his powers dwarf those of Master Viie, Zedd, or the Royal House of Gadgetry. In the end, Dark Specter was destroyed by a missile intended to destroy a planet and was more than resilient enough to withstand the impact, effortlessly taking a second blast from Darkonda's ship before succumbing to his wounds.
Dark Specter usually appears larger than a space station, but he is able to change his size from at least that of a human being to the size of a planet.
- Teleportation (Can appear from blue lightning bolts/vanish).
- Capable of blowing fireballs from his mouth.
- Capable of making his face appear in a sky (i.e. The Delta Discovery and Astronema Thinks Twice).
- In Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue, Olympius reveals a rock that resembles Dark Specter's hide that could decimate Mariner Bay in seconds.
- Dark Specter is mentioned as a direct rival to Lord Zedd in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Annual #1 (2016). Goldar's brother Silverback wanted to join Dark Specter instead of Zedd but made the mistake of insulting the emperor to his face and was destroyed.
- Dark Specter is one of the four villains who are larger than a Megazord. The second would be Omni from Power Rangers SPD, the third would be Imperious from Power Rangers Mystic Force, and the fourth would be Evox from Power Rangers Beast Morphers.
- Dark Specter's costume was previously used in Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie for Maligore. This was lampshaded in "From Out of Nowhere, Part 1", where Divatox mentions how much Dark Specter reminds her of her fiancé. Any connection between Maligore and Dark Specter was never elaborated upon.
- In the Japanese dub of Power Rangers In Space, Dark Specter is voiced by Yūji Kishi, who also dubbed TJ Johnson and originally played Kyosuke Jinnai (Red Racer) in Gekisou Sentai Carranger.
- Dark Specter is similar to four major villains in Super Sentai:
- As a ruler who rules by fear and is moving forward to conquering the entire universe, he is similar to Star King Bazoo, the final villain of Dengeki Sentai Changeman. Unlike Bazoo, his treatment toward his subordinates isn't as psychologically torturous and he does not threaten the other villains homeworlds for their failures or consume planets.
- Being the ultimate evil that all other villains answer to makes him similar to Dai-Satan from Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger. Dai-Satan was the master of Witch Bandora (Rita Repulsa's sentai counterpart).
- His appearance as a giant being in space is similar to Reckless Dash Emperor Exhaus from Gekisou Sentai Carranger. His death is likewise similar to Exhaus' demise, with another villain delivering what would be his final blow. Unlike Gynamo, Darkonda's betrayal is not out of a change of heart, but so he can rule the universe for himself.
- His connection in empowering the Psycho Ranger and being weakened as a cost is adapted directly from Evil Electro-King Javious I of Denji Sentai Megaranger. There are 2 differences however. However the destruction of the Psycho Rangers released Dark Specter's energy and he recovered, unlike Javious who perished when his power, channeled by the Nezirangers, died with them.
- Evil Electro-King Javious I - Super Sentai counterpart in Megaranger. See comparison page.
- Star King Bazoo - Sentai equivalent who likewise wished to conquer the entire universe under his own alliance.
- Maligore: The previous use of his costume.