|This article is about a/an episode in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
In preparation for a big upcoming exam in their class, the Rangers go up to the mountain to study together at Billy's uncle's cabin. However, Rita devises a plan to activate the Crystal of Nightmares to break the Rangers' self-confidence. While they are sleeping, Goldar is sent down to Earth to use the crystal. With our heroes stripped of their confidence, are the Power Rangers finished as well?
At school, Kimberly and Trini are worried about an imminent science test; the boys, however, aren't, since they are planning to go to Billy's uncle's cabin to study all together. Of course, they invite the girls.
Bulk and Skull, meanwhile, are having trouble of their own: Mr. Caplan gives them extremely bad report cards, and tells them that if they get another "D" in the next exam, they will be put in detention for a very long time. Bulk decides to follow the "geeks" in order to get them to do the hard work for them.
On the moon, Goldar is revealing his plan to Rita: he has summoned the power of the Crystal of Nightmares in order to cause the Power Rangers to lose their confidence in themselves, making them easy targets.
At the cabin, the gang go out to eat after an afternoon of studying. Bulk and Skull (dressed up as maids) enter searching their notes, but the boys quickly come back, forcing them to hide under a bed while they have fun.
During the night, Goldar puts his plan in motion: the Rangers dream of the worst moments of past battles, and share a nightmare in which Zordon tells them they are no longer deserving of their powers and takes them away. Meanwhile Bulk and Skull share a nightmare of their own where they become Power Rangers themselves and try piloting the Megazord with chaotic results.
The Rangers' nightmares leaves them frightened and tramuatized and they meet up the next morning to confirm what happened. Zordon realizes what has happened and tries contacting the Rangers. However, they're so terrified even the communicator is enough to make them all jump and initially refuse to answer. Eventually Jason does, and Zordon tells them he knows about their Nightmares and how this is Rita and Goldar's plan. He tells them if they destroy the Crystal of Nightmares they'll get their confidence back. The Rangers aren't sure if they're capable, but Zordon assures them they can do it and teleports them to the cave where Goldar and the crystal are residing.
Outside the cave, the nervous Rangers are put off their mission when they see a squadron of Putties guarding the cave entrance. Any attempt to leave is stopped when the Putties spot them and force them into a fight, but the Rangers are so scared they can't bring themselves to fight back and are tossed around. Eventually, Jason reacts fast enough to run into the cave. Inside he finds Goldar waiting, and although still scared summons the confidence up to fight back. He finally takes his chance and kicks the Crystal of Nightmares, destroying it. Goldar curses Jason and teleports away.
With the crystal gone, the Rangers self-confidence returns as they hear Zordon's voice telling them they've succeeded in their mission and the power will always protect them. With their confidence back, the Rangers now make short work of the Putties. There's no time to celebrate, as Goldar and Scorpina show up and are made to grow by Rita. The Rangers morph and summon Megazord, who quickly sends the two fleeing back to the moon.
The Rangers all get "A's" on the test, much to their happiness. Bulk and Skull manage to avoid getting "D's" on their test... unfortunately, this is by getting "F's" instead assuring them another long stretch of detentions. Mr. Caplan expresses his disappointment with the boys for flunking the test. However, he accidentally flings the chalk dust in the erasers towards them which causes Bulk to sneeze his toupee off.
- Austin St. John as Jason Lee Scott (Mighty Morphin Red Ranger)
- Thuy Trang as Trini Kwan (Mighty Morphin Yellow Ranger)
- Walter Jones as Zack Taylor (Mighty Morphin Black Ranger)
- Amy Jo Johnson as Kimberly Ann Hart (Mighty Morphin Pink Ranger)
- David Yost as Billy Cranston (Mighty Morphin Blue Ranger)
- Paul Schrier as Farkas "Bulk" Bulkmeier
- Jason Narvy as Eugene "Skull" Skullovitch
- Henry Cannon as Mr. Caplan
- David Fielding as Zordon (face)
- Robert L. Manahan as Zordon (voice)
- Romy J. Sharf as Alpha 5
- Richard Steven Horvitz as Alpha 5 (voice) (as Richard Wood)
- Machiko Soga as Rita Repulsa
- Barbara Goodson as Rita Repulsa (voice)
- Takashi Sakamoto as Goldar
- Kerrigan Mahan as Goldar (voice) (as Ryan O'Flannigan)
- Takako Iiboshi as Finster
- Robert Axelrod as Finster (voice)
- Minoru Watanabe as Squatt
- Michael J. Sorich as Squatt (voice)
- Hideaki Kusaka as Baboo
- Dave Mallow as Baboo (voice) (as Colin Phillips)
- Ami Kawai as Scorpina
- Wendee Swan as Scorpina (voice)
- Unknown performer as the cleaner
- Fight (both instrumental and full).
- This episode has no actual Sentai counterpart since they had used all monster footaage from Zyuranger.
- The Rangers' nightmares or flashbacks consist of footage from five previous episodes:
- Billy's nightmare was taken from "Power Ranger Punks".
- Trini's nightmare was taken from "Itsy Bitsy Spider".
- Zack's nightmare was taken from "Happy Birthday, Zack".
- Kim's nightmare was taken from "Calamity Kimberly", although Tommy's parts from the footage are cut out.
- Jason's nightmare was taken from "Green With Evil: Part Two".
- The shoddy Ranger costumes Bulk and Skull wear in their nightmare are the same suits they wore in "Doomsday" as "The Incredible Bulkster" and "Super Skull".
- It's revealed that Bulk is allergic to dust.
- The Megazord fight is recycled from "Green With Evil Part IV: Eclipsing Megazord".
- A novella was released based on this episode (entitled "The Bad Dream Machine"). A few things are altered in the novella, such as Kim's dream.
- Goldar now has a different face with a free moving mouth than his previous one which he will now have in all new American footage which will last until Power Rangers in Space's "Countdown to Destruction."
- In Bulk and Skull's dream sequence, as Skull tries to control the Megazord, Bulk snaps, "Who taught you how to drive?!", to which Skull responds, "Nobody! How'm I doin'?" They had this same exchange in "Green With Evil Part IV: Eclipsing Megazord", with Skull in that instance driving the Youth Center bus.
- Despite being a dream, this is the first time Bulk and Skull have been in any Megazord, as well as the only time American Footage of the Dino Megazord cockpit was made.
- They would actually get to ride in a Megazord in Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie.
- When Goldar and Scorpina are hit with an energized slash from the Megazord's Power Sword, Goldar can briefly be seen in the middle of the explosion with King Sphinx.
- It was Friday before the Rangers left for the cabin, we got Rita and Goldar plotting, the Rangers slept once, woke up on Saturday morning, had the fight mid-morning to late afternoon, Bulk and Skull wake up, and now it’s Monday?
- At random points during the Zord fight, and using a variety of shots from different episodes without proof checking them, the skies above and behind Goldar and Scorpina as well as the Megazord constantly change from night to day on a whim.
- When Zack starts dancing and Jason tells him to chill out, his hands are on the armrests but the next shot has them behind his head.
- From where Jason and Billy were sitting compared to Bulk and Skull, i.e. directly opposite the bed they were hiding under, they should have seen the duo.
- Skull describes the Megazord as falling but the next Megazord has it gliding.
- None of the Rangers hear Bulk yell at Skull before they go into hiding.
- Bulk's scream when the Megazord falls in their dream is abruptly cut off.
- Why would Trini have nightmares of the Spidertron's webbing when it had nothing to do with her or was even that traumatizing?
- In an error carried across from "Eclipsing Megazord", the Power Sword floats sideways into the Megazord's hands despite descending downwards in the previous shot.
- Why would Goldar know about the Crystal of Nightmares but Rita wouldn't?
- The Rangers lose their powers due to a lack of confidence in this episode but Zack previously lost his self-confidence in the B-plot of the episode "Island of Illusion-part I" but still morphed.
- Teachers can't give students one year of detention and especially not for failing grades.
- Billy calls his uncle's cabin in the woods a resort.
- Zack says Trini and Kimberly were "looking bloomed" in the very first line of the episode. "Bloomed" would mean they were happy but they clearly were not.
- Judging by their dream, Bulk and Skull somehow knew the Rangers' morph call as well as the general layout of Megazord's cockpit.
- Due to the use of Zyuranger footage from "Green With Evil-part I," Billy and Trini switched positions after morphing.
- The Terror Toad’s voice in Billy’s nightmare sounds more high pitched, and slightly more like Squatt.