|This article is about a/an episode in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
Beauty and the Beast is the sixteenth episode of the second season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
As Kimberly falls into depression over losing Tommy again, Lord Zedd decides to become the new man in her life by making her into his queen... whether she wants to or not.
Depressed about Tommy's departure from the team, Kimberly seeks out the advice of a Fortune Teller, Madam Swampy, despite Billy's claims that such practitioners are likely frauds. Meanwhile, Lord Zedd reveals a desire to have Kimberly as his Queen. He dispatches Goldar and the Putties to capture Kimberly. Through the use of a magic golden dust that renders Kimberly in a zombie-like state, he manages to take Kimberly away from outside the Fortune Teller's shack, and holding her captive in an underground cave known as The Cave of Fantasy.
Zedd attempts to distract the Rangers by sending the Z-Putties to attack Zack's cousin Curtis and his friend Richie. Once Billy manages to pinpoint the location of the cave, he and Trini go after Kimberly, while Zack goes after the Putties attacking his cousin. Jason is unable to be reached because he is in the mountains, which are shielding him from communication signals from the Command Center.
Inside the cave, Kimberly's communicator and Morpher are taken by Goldar as he casts a spell to make her into a queen with no memory of being a Ranger. The spell also transforms her clothes into that of Rita Repulsa's, complete with staff. However, he does not know that Kimberly's memories are unaffected by the spell, and she takes advantage of it by performing a surprisingly-accurate rendition of Rita. Her screaming and bossiness becomes so convincing that Goldar begins regretting the idea, even thinking that his spell worked too well. Trini and Billy then arrive, causing Kimberly to drop the act. Trini recovers the Morpher and communicator while Billy holds off Goldar long enough for the three to escape.
All five Rangers teleport to the park to face the Mirror Maniac. After the defeat of the putties, Zedd forces the monster to grow (forgetting about Kimberly), and the Rangers summon the Thunder Megazord. Once defeated, the kids return to the Youth Center where Bulk and Skull, having been trying to find the rangers with help from Madame Swampy end up there as well. It turns out that Madame Swampy is a friend of Ernie's and had been helping him promote the Youth Center. The new add offers free protein muffins Which Bulk and Skull help themselves too, only to find out the muffins are only free with a paid lunch. Bulk and Skull end up having to wash the dishes for eating without paying.
- Austin St. John as Jason Lee Scott (Mighty Morphin Red Ranger) (voice and credit only)
- Jason David Frank as Tommy Oliver (credit only)
- Thuy Trang as Trini Kwan (Mighty Morphin Yellow Ranger)
- Walter Jones as Zack Taylor (Mighty Morphin Black Ranger)
- David Yost as Billy Cranston (Mighty Morphin Blue Ranger)
- Amy Jo Johnson as Kimberly Ann Hart (Mighty Morphin Pink Ranger)
- Paul Schrier as Farkas "Bulk" Bulkmeier
- Jason Narvy as Eugene "Skull" Skullovitch
- Richard Genelle as Ernie
- Maurice Mendoza as Richie
- Joel Rogers as Curtis Taylor and Zack Taylor (Morphed Dialogue)
- ??? as Madame Swampy
- David Fielding as Zordon (face)
- Robert L. Manahan as Zordon (voice)
- Romy J. Sharf as Alpha 5
- Richard Steven Horvitz as Alpha 5 (voice) (as Richard Wood)
- Ed Neil as Lord Zedd
- Robert Axelrod as Lord Zedd (voice)
- Danny Wayne Stallcup as Goldar
- Kerrigan Mahan as Goldar (voice) (as Ryan O'Flannigan)
- Michael J. Sorich as Squatt (voice)
- Dave Mallow as Baboo (voice) (as Colin Phillips)
- Tom Wyner as Mirror Maniac (voice)
- Paul F. Rosenthal as Jason Lee Scott (Red Ranger) (Morphed Dialogue Only)
- Judy as Trini Kwan (Morphed Dialogue)
- Jason David Frank (Tommy) does not appear in this episode, but he is mentioned twice by Kimberly and Billy.
- Austin St. John does not appear in this episode as Jason does not appear unmorphed throughout this episode. The reason for this is unknown.
- One of Trini's lines ("Let's kick the putty") was recycled from "For Whom The Bell Trolls".
- This episode follows the common trope of male villains choosing female protagonists as consorts in their world domination plans; usually, like here, the girl is very unwilling to become that villain's queen, and love usually isn't a motivation to have her become so.
- Kimberly's clothing being covered by Rita's dress is a foreshadowing to The Wedding.
- Second and last episode of the season not to feature Tommy Oliver.
- This is also the last episode of Power Rangers that Tommy isn't a regular until Power Rangers Turbo's "Stitch Witchery "
- Kimberly's impression of Rita Repulsa was highly praised.
- This is the last episode where Jason is the leader of the Power Rangers.
- This is also the last episode where Zack is the team's second-in-command.
- Hilariously, given what happens to Kimberly in this episode, Amy Jo Johnson has stated she wanted to play Rita in the 2017 reboot movie. 
- The episode title is an obvious reference to the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast.
- This is the first episode in which we hear Trini's substitute voice actor. Out of the three voice actors that fill in for Austin St. John, Walter Jones and Thuy Trang, Trang's substitute voice actor sounds the least like her respective character.
- This is the second episode in season 2 where a Power Ranger is sad about Tommy's absence from the team. The first time was in "Missing Green", where Jason admits that he misses Tommy and feels bad for not saving his Green Ranger powers in a previous episode.
- This episode was part of a week-long marathon called "Morphin' Wars" on Fox Kids.
- The Thunder Megazord is seen sheathing its saber when the Mirror Maniac was in the process of being destroyed, but the usual stock footage of the sword being sheathed was played afterwards anyway.
- The morphed Red, Yellow, and Black Rangers weren't voiced by their respective actors in this episode. They either used stock voice clips, alternate voice actors, or the Rangers refrained from speaking altogether, to include the use of Kiai in battle scenes. Trini and Zack appeared unmorphed however, but Jason was absent from the entire episode in his unmorphed appearance.
- When pretending to be evil, Kimberly mimics Rita's infamous headaches despite there being no way she could have known about these (since these always occured in the Moon Palace).
- Despite the Rangers having never fought Mirror Maniac before he grew, his mirror mysteriously broke sometime between the defeat of the putties and the start of the Zord battle, although given the mirror's breaking in it's Dairanger counterpart was from fighting, for this one it could've been the result of a recoil from the explosion caused by Zedd's growth bomb.
- The Thunder Megazord's chest jewel appears blue instead of its usual green.
- While morphed, it's clear that Trini is being voiced by a different actress because she has a British accent.
- The Rita staff that Kimberly holds is a very poor replica of the original Zyuranger prop. It's much thicker around the circular top section, appears mishaped in places and even has paint missing.
- ↑ http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/power-rangers-alum-amy-jo-johnson-talks-movie-reboot-relocating-canada-trump-era-953699