|This article is about a/an villain in Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger.|
|"Aw, don’t sweat it Kubar. Forget this dull game, we’re moving onto the real heart pounding stuff!"|
|―Azald’s first words when Quval got upset over Jagged flipping over a tray of food he was eating from.[src]|
|"Heh! The Zyuohgers? You guys aren't supposed to show up yet. Buzz off until the game's started."|
|―Azald when meeting the Zyuohgers for the first time.[src]|
|"If you want a piece, then I don't mind... Come get some."|
|―Azald when Yamato joined the Zyuohgers.[src]|
|"For an inferior life-force...that was pretty good."|
|―Azald's final words before his initial destruction.[src]|
Azald (アザルド Azarudo) was one of the Space Outlaws Deathgalien Team Leaders who enjoyed giving physical pain to others. His true identity was Azald Legacy (アザルド・レガシー Azarudo Regashī), the Destroyer of Space.
In Earth's distant past, Azald attacked the Zyumans and threatened the planet. The only one to oppose Azald was a young whale Zyuman named Cetus whom he overpowered until the planet responded to Cetus's desire to protect all life. As the first Zyuoh Whale, the original Zyuohger, Cetus uses the Whale Change Gun to freeze Azald who is then jettisoned into space by Cube Whale. At some point after this, Ginis, having heard rumors of a monster that had been tossed into space from Earth, discovered Azald's body floating in space. Ginis attempted to remove the seal Cetus had placed on him, but ended up animating his crystallized form. Having no memory of who he really was, Azald swore loyalty to Ginis as one of his Team Leaders.
As a Team Leader
Azald was playing a board game with fellow Team Leaders Jagged and Quval when the Sagittari Ark arrived at the site of the Deathgalien's 100th Blood Game, Earth. He consoled Quval who was offended when Jagged promptly discarded the game in response, telling him to forget that dull game and look forward to the heart-pounding activity that awaited. Azald watched Jagged commence the Blood Game on Earth with the other Deathgaliens, and was shocked to see him be defeated by Earth's newest warriors: the Zyuohgers.
When Naria questions Ginis' sentiment that Earth is proving to be a suitable choice for the 100th Blood Game in light of the Zyuohgers, Azald explaines to her that the pushback was what made the game more exciting. Ginis pits Azald and Quval against each other in a competition to successfully execute the Blood Game on Earth with Ginis promising a reward for the one who amuses him the most. Azald's Team is the first to go, presenting his Player Halbergoi. Halbergoi ultimately falls to the Zyuohgers with Azald cursing his carelessness.
After the initial attack by Bowguns, another of Azald's Players, he confronts Quval for seemingly doing literally nothing since the last two Players have belonged to him. Quval simply states that he plans out his attacks whereas Azald performs brute force and gurella tactics.
After the failure of a fleet of Triangulars and the disappearance of his Player Gaburio (who was in actuality just stuck in the woods), Azald is openly mocked for his uselessness by Quval and goes looking for Gaburio in the forest where he fell. However, the Zyuohgers (sans Yamato who is busy trying to convince Larry the Gorilla Zyuman not to be so violent) are soon alerted to his presence by their Zyuman instincts and confront Azald who is initially unaware of their presence until Tusk is unable to recognize him. Having better things to do than fight, and not having started a Blood Game yet, Azald tells them to go away before leaving to find Gaburio but they henshin and unload on him with their Zyuoh Busters. However, the blasts bounce right off of Azald's armor so they switch to Zyuoh Buster Sword Mode and fight Azald but all of their strikes bounce off of him and he knocks them all down with a shock-wave attack. He reminds them to just go away but Yamato arrives and Azald introduces himself with the Zyuohgers being surprised to learn of his status in the Deathgalien. Even so, Yamato henshins and the team does their roll call and Azald finally accepts their challenge as they change into their Instinct Awakened forms and Yamato tries to drill straight through Azald just to be stopped by the armor and then thrown away. Though Tusk and Amu are then able to strike him with their energy attacks, he grabs Sela in the midst of her spin attack and tosses her away before Tusk tries his patented stomp attack but Azald remains standing and energy whips them all down. As he again fights Yamato, he expresses surprise at a human using the same powers as Zyumans even as he beats down the other four team-members and bats them all away through the air. When he recovers, he devastates them all with an energy slash so powerful that they are all de-morphed and badly injured.
Enraged, Yamato equips his EagRiser and takes on Azald but is beaten down so tries to fly up only to be grabbed by the leg and slammed back down before beating him enough for him to de-morph. Deciding to wrap things up, Azald sends Yamato over the cliff to his apparent death with an energy slash across the ground before going down to make sure he finished the job. However, by the time he gets down there, Larry has revived Yamato with his Zyuoh Changer so Azald decides to finish him entirely. However, Yamato manages to block his sword after he henshins and throw away Azald entirely before using the special new power from Larry to become Zyuoh Gorilla. Azald is confident in his victory but Yamato disarms and lays a beat-down on him before getting punched down and overwhelmed. He quickly locks arms with Yamato but the latter literally bends over backwards onto the floor to flip Azald over his head and slam him down. As Azald recovers, Yamato blows him away with a shock-wave which pins him against a tree before getting punched far away for about two miles. Recovering, Azald matches Yamato punch for punch. Yamato's is more powerful and breaks Azald's arm before being sent flying by a devastating uppercut. Mortally wounded, Azald admits he is impressed with Yamato before exploding just after Yamato gives his catchphrase. Mysteriously though, Ginis informs Naria that they need not use a Continue Medal this time much to her and Quval]'s immense surprise.
After his death, multiple pieces of Azald remain on the battlefield but suddenly fuse back together into Azald who then finds and rescues Gaburio off-screen and sends him to eat Tokyo. Once the Zyuohgers confront his Player, Azald reveals himself and is happy to fight them now since there is actually a Blood Game on at the moment. However, since his Player is now free, he decides to leave him to it and returns to the Sagittari Ark where he is welcomed like a hero and even Ginis is pleased.
Azald sends down his Player Noborizon to Earth to cause earthquakes by sucking energy out of the ground. The idea is to create an earthquake so powerful that the Earth will be ripped apart completely and Azald will win his bet with Quval. To make sure he wins this time, Azald decides to indirectly assist his minion. While Leo and his love interest Yuri Igarashi flirt in the woods having separated from the others to do so, they are caught in a trap and let down by Yamato only to have to dodge swinging logs and boulders sent from Azald and some Moebas who then confront them whilst revealing the plan. They henshin but Tusk gets his leg caught in a beartrap and then Sela gets caught in a net with him as she tries to help. With only Amu able to still fight, Azald leaves his Moebas to fight her as he leaves confident that this is checkmate for Earth. After a call from Amu to update them on the situation, Leo leaves Yuri with Yamato and runs away only to have to dodge incoming boulders when he hits a tripwire but manages to make it up the hill to confront Noborizon. Noborizon's inevitable demise however sets him back to stage one once again. Ginis mocks his plan as a misfire and Quval finds the fact that he wasted so much time setting traps funny. Frustrated, Azald has Naria enlarge Noborizon but he is defeated like all other Players and Azald is once more unable to win his bet.
Hunterji (one of only two Players in Team Jagged) comes to the Sagittari Ark to meet with Ginis as he wishes to become a new Team Leader but Azald is confused since Naria has introduced two Players but only one is visible. As it turns out, the other Player (Dorobozu) is just invisible and reappears right after.
When Hunterji leaves the Sagittari Ark to turn 1000 people into dolls in a single day, Azald doubts his abilities and thinks that he is just talking a big game. However, Hunterji turns and destroys a glass Azald wants to pick up and promises that he will return as a Team Leader. Unfortunately for the Player, Azald's prediction proves to be accurate as Hunterji is soon slain with the last remnants of Jagged gone for good.
Later on, Genis uses a piece of Azald's cubic body, infused with the embodiment of the Earth's energy, to forcibly transform Misao Mondo into Zyuoh The World.
Following The World's defection, both Azald and Quval are sent by Ginis to retrieve him. Arriving on Earth, the Team Leaders sent forth the Moebas in a violent onslaught against the first humans in their path, a group of construction workers, which soon enough leads them to be confronted by the four Zyuman Zyuohgers. Easily overwhelming the quartet, the Team Leaders took them hostage in order to bring out The World, with Quval ordering Yamato via a confiscated Zyuoh Changer to return the World in exchange for his Zyuman friends only for Yamato to come alone before engaging them. The Zyuohgers are unwavering in their refusal to sell out Misao even as Yamato is outmatched as Zyuoh Gorilla alone. Defeating Yamato, it is at this point that the Team Leaders are met by Misao who has decided to join the fight against the Deathgalien as Zyuoh The World, joining Zyuoh Eagle in battle against them. Beaten back by the two human Zyuohgers, the Team Leaders are forced to retreat with Quval using his immortal comrade as a shield in the face of Zyuoh The World's World The Crash finisher before taking their leave.
When Bangray arrives, the hunter interferes with his Player's assignment. He dislike Bangray with his disrespect towards Ginis and his constant interference in the Blood Game. He waits impatiently on the Sagittari Ark while Ginis suspends Player operations in the Blood Game while Bangray continues his hunt.
Azald is excited to learn that Naria, tired of the Zyuohgers' resistance, had hired the hero assassin Gillmarda to eliminate them behind Ginis' back. Along with Quval and Naria, Azald attempts to interfere with the Zyuohgers' fight with the Ninningers for the future of Super Sentai against Gillmarda only to be intercepted by the nine Kyurangers. Engaging a new warrior whom, in contrast to his familiar foes, he is confused to observe was redwhile sporting a lion motif, Azald is very swiftly outmanoeuvred before being blown apart by the Kyurangers combined All-Star Crash. Quickly reforming, Azald is forced to retreat along with Quval and Naria and leave Gillmarda to his doom.
While Quval was executing his plan to overthrow Ginis, Azald noticed how both he and Naria were absent. Azald decided to go to Earth and search for them, providing Quval the opportunity to create a clone of Azald for his plan. Azald finds Bud, as he was collecting Zyuoh Cubes in the forest and the Zyuohger took notice of Azald's body being made of cubes before their battle commenced. Bud drops the Zyuoh Cubes before he cuts off Azald's arm and part of Azald's chest, only for Azald to unknowingly absorb the Zyuoh Cubes while leaving behind one of his own cubes.
After Quval's demise, Azald did not feel the need to continue the Blood Game right away, since his competition was gone, but Ginis told Azald that the goal of the game was to amuse him and Quval could win posthumously for his attempt of trying to overthrow the game owner. Azald, wanting to win, sent another Player to Earth, and participates himself to try to further amuse Ginis. When Azald appears to help Gakkarize, he fights Yamato and Misao before the former summons Cube Whale. Cube Whale notices Azald and immediately attacks him (much to the surprise of both Azald and Yamato) upon recognizing him as its ancient nemesis, and Azald flees back to the base.
Returning to the Sagittari Ark, Azald, contemplating his latest encounter with the Zyuohgers which questioned his nature, asked Ginis if he was of the Earth. Ginis told Azald that, beyond his great potential for violence, he had neither no knowledge of his origins or interest in him beyond that; Azald was content with this as long as he could still fight as he pleased. However, Azald suddenly felt an internal disturbance and, when Naria performed a scan on him, learnt that he had foreign material matching readings of the Zyuohgers within him. Realizing that this was a result of his fight with Bud, Azald ordered a pack of Moebas after him.
Azald unleashes a full scale assault, trying to lure out Bud. When the Zyuohger respond, he is able to infiltrate Zyuoh King Octopus, causing internal damage, and making it crash into ZyuohWild. He locates and attacks Bud, who is joined by the other Zyuohgers. They are able to destroy his body and retrieve the missing Zyuoh Cubes, but his body reconstructs, feeling stronger with the foreign objects removed from him. When Bud begins to use the Whale Change Gun, Azald gains flashes of memories of his battle against the original Zyuoh Whale before being struck by Bud's attack, becoming encased in stone. Azald, however, breaks free from the stone and, with his memories restored, his body's cubic seal shatters, restoring him to his original form: Azald Legacy. His attacks are much stronger now and with each attack, he unleashes explosions from beneath the ground. He easily defeats the Zyuohgers with extreme ease and set his sights on confronting and killing Ginis.
Storming back onto the Sagittari Ark, Azald questions Ginis on what he did to him. Ginis explains the circumstances of how he came about Azald and claims that Azald should be grateful as without Ginis' aid, Azald wouldn't have returned to Earth and been freed from his seal, saying that now that Azald's regained his full power, he expects more entertainment than ever from him. Azald counters by saying that the next Blood Game will be between the two of them to see who can cause the most destruction on Earth, saying that they're now equals, much to Ginis' disdain. Azald then returns to Earth with intent on resuming his rampage from centuries ago, starting by blast a large portion of the city, including near the hospital where Yamato's father worked. The Zyuogher’s, minus Yamato, confronted Azald with intent to reseal him. In the midst of the battle, when Azald's true regeneration powers are shown, Tusk catches sight of a core that Azald's body forms around. Realizing that they know how to finally destroy Azald, the Zyuogher’s resume their fight, but Azald still overwhelms and prepares to kill them until Yamato, in a frenzy from learning the truth about Bard's connection to his father, appears and attacks Azald repeatedly. The other Zyuohgers join him and finally expose Azald's core.
Before Yamato can hit it with the Whale Charge Gun, however, Naria infuses it with three Continue Medals, causing Azald's body to grow and lose control. Angered at being used by Ginis, Azald goes wild, utilizing his full power to destroy everything around him while harming himself and regenerating at the same time. The Zyuogher’s form Wild Tousai Dodeka King to fight Azald for the last time. However, Azald proves to be too much for even the Zyuogher's strongest combination. At that moment, however, the four Zyuoh Cubes that had been trapped in Azald surge to life and attack him, giving the Zyuogher's an opening to strike him with the Zyuoh Dodeka Dynamite Stream to destroy his body. With his core revealed, the Zyuman, finishing what their ancestor started, use the Whale Charge Gun to freeze it to prevent Azald's regeneration before attacking it personally and destroying it, destroying Azald once and for all.
As one of the four senior Deathgalien members, Azald is revived by former member Pocane Daniro but is defeated for good by Sela and Leo who make sure to destroy his core so he can not reform ever again.
Unlike his fellow deceptive and calculative Team Leader Quval, Azald was hot-tempered and liked to play his Blood Games with brute power instead of intelligence which often led to the two of them butting heads. He was a warrior with honor, openly praising the enemy who defeated him in battle even though that enemy was an inferior being in his eyes. As shown when he refused to battle the Zyuohgers, and only engaged them when constantly provoked, he seemed to prefer playing the Blood Game fair and even offered to let them just walk away twice. Similar to Ginis, he loved to drink wine when aboard the spaceship. While not in a Blood Game, he didn't mind playing trivial games like chess or drinking game with Quval and Jagged.
After he regained his form and memories of Azald Legacy, he became much more arrogant and angry whilst claiming to be equal in power to Ginis to whom he lost all respect and loyalty. After being revived as a giant, Azald Legacy lost all of his memories and semblance of intelligence, becoming a completely mindless destructive force.
- Height: 203 cm
- Weight: 201 kg
- Medal Slot: Waists
Powers and Abilities
- Power-Azald was the second strongest general in the Deathgalien, stronger than Quval, Naria and Jagged but weaker than Bangray and Ginis.
- Sight: Azald was able to see despite having no eyes.
- Speech: Azald was able to speak coherently despite his teeth being permanently clenched..
- Strength-Azald was very strong, able to hold his own against five Zyuohgers as well as grab and throw Instinct Awakened Yamato and then Instinct Awakened Sela with ease.
- Bat Strike-Azald's strength was so much that he could swing his sword with enough force to send four of the Zyuohgers flying off into the distance with one swing.
- Strength Gaining-Azald's strength could apparently increase exponentially with time. Early on, his strength was edged out by Yamato as Zyuoh Gorilla but he could overwhelm both Zyuoh Gorilla and Zyuoh The World Crocodile Form with ease later in the season and, in the same fight even managed to challenge Zyuoh Whale.
- Durability-As a Deathgalien, Azald's body was made of an unknown, durable material, as such he is capable of taking direct attacks without being harmed. The Zyuoh Buster's Zyuoh Shots bounced clean off of his armor and multiple slashes from their Sword Mode was completely ineffectual. Even Amu and Tusks' Instinct Awakened energy attacks had no effect whatsoever.
- Quick Reactions-Azald was quickly enough to grab Sela mid-spin attack as she rammed towards his chest.
- Swordsmanship-Azald was an excellent fighter with his sword, easily combating and even knocking down all five Zyuohgers even with their Zyuoh Busters Sword Mode.
- Wind Blasts-As seen when he first met the Zyuohgers, Azald could fire a powerful blast of air from over his right shoulder capable of making Leo (the strongest Zyuohger) stumble back.
- Shockwave Generation-Azald could throw out his arms and generate shock-waves capable of taking down four Zyuohgers with one hit.
- Equilibrium-Azald was completely un-fazed when the ground shook due to Tusk's elephant stomp.
- Cube Restoration: If Azald was destroyed, he could reconstruct his own body after a night and, in Episode 20, he resurrected his own body instantly. As his body is being sealed by Earth's energy, it was shown that Azald could unknowingly reconstruct his body using Zyuoh Cubes, leaving cubes from his own body behind in their place.
- Superior Power-Although Azald could slowly overcome his enemies with time, he needed to have fought them at least once to do so which resulted in both Zyuoh Gorilla and Zyuoh Whale easily defeating him.
- Core-Although his greatest strength, Azald's core was also his greatest weakness as it was exposed during the restoration process, making it vulnerable to being destroyed which resulted in his permanent death.
- Azald Natter (アザルドナッター Azarudo Nattā): Azald wielded a giant blue sword to hack and slash his enemies with.
- Energy Empowerment-Azald could charge his Azald Natter up with blue energy for an increase in power.
- Energy Whip-Azald could use that energy to generate a long blue energy "rope" from his sword and lash it around to take down his enemies like a whip.
- Energy Slices-Azald's Azald Natter could fire light purple energy slices from the blade edges capable of causing large explosions and taking down Sela and Tusk with one hit.
- Energy Slashes-Azald's Azald Natter could fire a gigantic light purple energy slash from the blade edges capable of causing large explosions as well as taking down and de-morphing four Zyuohgers with one hit.
- Ground Energy Slash-Azald could also charge up the very tip of the Azald Hatter with light purple energy and flick it along the ground to fire a gigantic purple energy slash at his enemies.
- Shockwave Generation-Azald's Azald Hatter could be stabbed into the ground to generate shock-waves capable of taking down five Zyuohgers with one hit.
- Energy Empowerment-Azald could charge his Azald Natter up with blue energy for an increase in power.
- Leg Trap-Azald used ropes to wrap around people's legs when aiding Noborizon.
- Bear Trap-Azald used a bear trap to injure and restrain Tusk.
- Net-Azald placed a net under the bear trap that was able to capture Tusk and Sela.
- Boulder Trip Wire-Azald used a tripwire that, when Leo set it off, caused boulders to explosively rain down on him.
- Halbergoi (First Player)
- Saguil Brothers
- Gakkarize (Final Player)
Appearances: Zyuohger Episodes 1-25, 27, 30-34, 36-40, Zyuohger vs. Ninninger, Zyuohger 41-45, Zyuohger Returns
Azald Legacy (アザルド・レガシー Azarudo Regashī) is Azald's true form.
- Height: 203 cm (73.1 m:Giant)
- Weight: 201 kg (723.6 t:Giant)
- Power-Azald Legacy was an extremely powerful opponent and the second strongest opponent that the Zyuohgers even faced (second only to Shin Ginis). Even the smallest gestures, like tapping his foot, would make his surrounding explode violently. When he punches the ground, multiple fire columns erupt from the ground, then the entire place explodes and leaves a large crater.
Powers and Abilities
- Restoration: If Azald Legacy is destroyed, he can reconstruct his own body, which is revealed to be via a small core which attracts all of the pieces of his body back into their original places, effectively making him immortal.
- Shock Wave: Azald Legacy could create shock waves from his hand and body.
- Lasers: Azald Legacy could fire lasers from his mouth.
- Explosions: Azald could make explosions surround him by tapping his foot or punch the ground.
- Lava Explosion Generation-By punching the ground, Azald Legacy could make multiple fire columns erupt from the ground before the entire place exploded and left a large crater.
- Continue Medal Absorption-Though this form did not appear to have 2 visible Medal Slots, Azald Legacy's inner core was able to absorb Continue Medals to grow giant.
Appearances: Zyuohger Episodes 28 (flashback), 45, 46
Behind the Scenes
- Azald was portrayed by Joji Nakata (中田譲治, Nakata Jouji). His appearance in Zyuohger was exactly 30 years after he first appeared physically in Super Sentai as Sir Kauler in Flashman. He also portrayed Great Professor Bias in Liveman.
- Azald's suit actor was Jiro Okamoto (岡元次郎, Okamoto Jiro), while in Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger Returns: Life Received! The Earth's Monarchs' Decisive Battle!.
- Azald Legacy's suit actor was Hiroyuki Tanaka (田中宏幸, Tanaka Hiroyuki)
to be added
to be added