|This article is about a/an episode in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger.|
|WARNING: This episode contains scenes of blood. Viewer discretion is advised!|
Samurai Promotion (侍襲名 Samurai Shūmei) is the eighteenth episode of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger.
Genta approaches Takeru about being his 6th Shinkenger, but an initial rejection forces him and the retainers to figure out the true reason why the Shiba lord doesn't want his friend involved.
After the appearance of Shinken Gold, the vassals learn from Jii that Genta was a childhood friend of Takeru whom he obtained Ika Origami from. Before Takeru could explain why, Genta arrives late to declare himself a samurai under Takeru. As Takeru takes a step out, Genta reveals that he has been training himself for this moment before Jii takes the Sushi Changer from him. As the Shinkengers take their leave upon the Gedoushu making their move, Takeru breaks his friend's heart by refusing to accept him as an ally. After nearly losing to the vengeful Ayakashi Hyakuyappa before he falls back into the Sanzu River, Takeru is confronted by the Vassals and Genta confront Takeru on his reasons for turning Genta before Hyakuyappa resumes his attack. Remembering the promise he made with Genta years ago, Takeru acknowledges his friend as a Shinkenger. While the vassals deal with the Nanashi, Shinken Red and Shinken Gold combine their signature moves to destroy Hyakuyappa. After Hyakuyappa revives, Shinkenoh has a hard time until Ika Origami arrived and combines onto Shinkenoh to form Ika-Shinkenoh who freezes the Ayakashi before destroying him. Soon after the fight, the gang celebrates their newest ally by eating out at the Gold Sushi cart.
- Takeru Shiba (志葉 丈瑠 Shiba Takeru): Tori Matsuzaka (松坂 桃李 Matsuzaka Tōri)
- Ryunosuke Ikenami (池波 流ノ介 Ikenami Ryūnosuke): Hiroki Aiba (相葉 裕樹 Aiba Hiroki)
- Mako Shiraishi (白石 茉子 Shiraishi Mako): Rin Takanashi (高梨 臨 Takanashi Rin)
- Chiaki Tani (谷 千明 Tani Chiaki): Shogo Suzuki (鈴木 勝吾 Suzuki Shōgo)
- Kotoha Hanaori (花織 ことは Hanaori Kotoha): Suzuka Morita (森田 涼花 Morita Suzuka)
- Genta Umemori (梅盛 源太 Umemori Genta): Keisuke Sohma (相馬 圭祐 Sōma Keisuke)
- Hikoma Kusakabe (日下部 彦馬 Kusakabe Hikoma): Gorou Ibuki (伊吹 吾郎 Ibuki Gorō)
- Dokoku Chimatsuri (血祭 ドウコク Chimatsuri Dōkoku, Voice): Rintarō Nishi (西 凛太朗 Nishi Rintarō)
- Dayu Usukawa (薄皮 太夫 Usukawa Dayū, Voice): Romi Park (朴 璐美 Paku Romi)
- Shitari of the Bones (骨のシタリ Hone no Shitari, Voice): Chō (チョー)
- Hyakuyappa (ヒャクヤッパ Voice): Chihiro Suzuki (鈴木千尋 Suzuki Chihiro)
- Takeru Shiba(Child): Masaki Takaiwa (高岩雅輝 Takaiwa Masaki)
- Genta Umemori(Child): Ryota Koshiba (小柴亮太 Koshiba Ryōta)
- Shinken Red - Kyoutsuu (Rekka Daizantou), Shishi (Rekka Daizantou), Shishi (Shinkenmaru - Kaen no Mai), Hidden Shield (Shishi Origami)
- Shinken Blue - Hidden Shield (Ryuu Origami)
- Shinken Pink - Hidden Shield (Kame Origami)
- Shinken Green - Hidden Shield (Kuma Origami)
- Shinken Yellow - Hidden Shield (Saru Origami)
- Shinken Gold - Sushi (Sushi Changer), Sushi (Sakanamaru - Hyaku Mai Oroshi), Ika (Ika Origami)
- As part of Super Hero Time, this episode aired alongside Kamen Rider Decade episode 21, The Walking All-Rider Album.
- Viewership: 7.4%
- Key Title Kanji: 襲 (Succession; referring to Genta's desire to change from being a sushi salesman to a samurai)
Home video releases
- The second volume of the Samurai Sentai Shinkenger Blu-Ray Box Set comes with episodes 17-33, including the Kamen Rider Decade crossover, and was released on April 11th 2014 at a cost of 20,790 yen.
Samurai Sentai Shinkenger DVD Volume 5 features episodes 17-20: Act 17: The Sushi Samurai, Act 18: Samurai Promotion, Act 19: Learning the Samurai Disposition and Act 20: The Ebi Origami's Transformation.